2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I had a suspicion that would happen. They love Raley's peripherals, especially against LHB.

The problem is teams can simply pinch hit and stack the RHB's against him, where he is useless. He's the very definition of a LOOGY, and he'd probably do every good in that role.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The problem is teams can simply pinch hit and stack the RHB's against him, where he is useless. He's the very definition of a LOOGY, and he'd probably do every good in that role.

Correct, that is the problem. I do believe that every Astros fan is overstating his awfulness though and I believe those statcast peripherals hint at his real value. He's usually very good at generating soft contact and not getting barreled up often, but the problem for him lately is his inability to put away hitters after he gets 0-2.  He doesn't have the power arm to give up free bases in the form of walks. He can work around a single or two but walks kill him. 

46 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Correct, that is the problem. I do believe that every Astros fan is overstating his awfulness though and I believe those statcast peripherals hint at his real value. He's usually very good at generating soft contact and not getting barreled up often, but the problem for him lately is his inability to put away hitters after he gets 0-2.  He doesn't have the power arm to give up free bases in the form of walks. He can work around a single or two but walks kill him. 

yep.  the good mlb teams these days are not about power, they're about contact.  you need a bullpen with strikeout stuff.  hopefully we have that now, because teams we face in the postseason will work walks and put the ball in play.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

also you've gotta think the scandal really bonded the team the way it has with the fans.  it's truly an "us against the world" mentality".

Absolutely, and you bring up a good point that isn't getting enough discussion from baseball writers and reporters about this year's team. 

The ginned up outrage in road stadiums and the cheater hyperbole in the media has likely galvanized Astros players and brought the team together in a uniquely impactful way. When a guy like Graveman comes over from a division rival and sees that connection in the clubhouse against the backdrop of BOOOOO CHEATER BANG BANG TRASHTROS, against his own ML experience within the culture of baseball and all the warts that come with it, with everything he knows about what other teams were doing and how MLB handled it, I think there's a good chance he immediately buys into the team and the mission to win it all because he sees how all those pieces fit together. He sees his new teammates not backing down and responding to the challenge of not only facing tough opposing pitchers and hitters, but absorbing a beating from fans and blocking out the noise to win consistently.

It really is impressive what this team is doing this year, especially Jose Fucking Altuve. What other team has faced anything close to the adversity of the 2021 Astros and responded the way they have?

Goddamn I love this team. 

Edited by Gourmand

23 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So the only way chas gets more playing time was to trade straw and call up a AAA prospect for our World Series run? Fucking dumb. If chas is better why hasn’t he been playing over straw? 

23 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

spacer.png

Sure looks that way.  Dusty in the Chronicle today:

“We’re going to miss the speed of Straw,” manager Dusty Baker said. “We already had limited speed but quite a few bats.”

Baker regularly defended Straw during his awful start to the season. After April, Straw settled into a consistent rhythm during his first attempt at everyday playing time. In 73 games since May 1, Straw had a .357 on-base percentage. He had a preseason goal of a .350 clip. Asked if he was upset at the organization’s decision, Baker said “I can’t answer that.”

“I don’t think that’s anybody’s business,” the manager said. “I’m not the decision maker. Sometimes you have to do what the organization asks. Sometimes you don’t have a choice.”

Fuck having a dangerous lineup 1-9, need to get some speed in there.

• Hook 'Em 2

Asked if he was upset at the organization’s decision, Baker said “I can’t answer that.”

“I don’t think that’s anybody’s business,” the manager said. “I’m not the decision maker. Sometimes you have to do what the organization asks. Sometimes you don’t have a choice.”

So yes, he's pissed.

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

DIAZ AGAIN!!!

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Diaz

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm so glad Diaz is back.

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Diaz !!!!

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Buenos Diaz

1500x500