2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Why ewwww? EG is great and on a great contract. Could easily flip him for someone else in the future, and he's a starting SG in place of Jimmy. Throw in Chriss who is expiring and they are in decent shape. Not gonna get much more for a rental.

Look at all the amenities in Houston, the franchise & players on roster... I'd say there's a good chance if the deal is made, it's more than just a 1 year rental...

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Why ewwww? EG is great and on a great contract. Could easily flip him for someone else in the future, and he's a starting SG in place of Jimmy. Throw in Chriss who is expiring and they are in decent shape. Not gonna get much more for a rental.

i LOVE eric gordon, but you have to make any deal for butler that doesn't include harden, paul or capela (that means PJ Tucker too, who i'd also hate to lose).

i can't imagine that the rockets are going to be able to make the best offer for butler, but if so, they're better this year than they were last year.

19 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i LOVE eric gordon, but you have to make any deal for butler that doesn't include harden, paul or capela (that means PJ Tucker too, who i'd also hate to lose).

i can't imagine that the rockets are going to be able to make the best offer for butler, but if so, they're better this year than they were last year.

I can't see them giving up PJ Tucker in this deal, we would have no defense at the 4 without him. EG, Chriss and a 1st seems fair for what the market is. There's no way they give him 5 years 190m next year, so he is definitely a 1 year rental. 

11 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Gordon is a good player who's attributes are inflated in MDA's system.  How do you think he'd function in Thibs' system?  Especially with Thibs' defensive tendencies.  Eric Gordon is a good role player in his current system and fits very well.

Eric Gordon is great?  A 14.2 PER, .5 VORP and .90ish WS/48 average the last 2 years is great?  Stop. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Jimmy+Butler&player_id1_select=Jimmy+Butler&y1=2018&player_id1=butleji01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Eric+Gordon&player_id2_select=Eric+Gordon&y2=2018&player_id2=gordoer01&idx=players

Jimmy Butler is much better than Eric Gordon.  What would Eric Gordon do for Minnesota?  Keep them in the mix for the 8 seed?  Is Minnesota going to get back FMV for Butler?  Of course not and if there was any leadership or aptitude in Minnesota, they'd look to try and use Butler to get a shit contract off their books and gather some young assets or draft picks back.  They should be looking for another expiring contract.  But they're a poorly run franchise so anything's on the table, but that would be a really bad trade on their part....

26 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Gordon is a good player who's attributes are inflated in MDA's system.  How do you think he'd function in Thibs' system?  Especially with Thibs' defensive tendencies.  Eric Gordon is a good role player in his current system and fits very well.

Eric Gordon is great?  A 14.2 PER, .5 VORP and .90ish WS/48 average the last 2 years is great?  Stop. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Jimmy+Butler&player_id1_select=Jimmy+Butler&y1=2018&player_id1=butleji01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Eric+Gordon&player_id2_select=Eric+Gordon&y2=2018&player_id2=gordoer01&idx=players

Jimmy Butler is much better than Eric Gordon.  What would Eric Gordon do for Minnesota?  Keep them in the mix for the 8 seed?  Is Minnesota going to get back FMV for Butler?  Of course not and if there was any leadership or aptitude in Minnesota, they'd look to try and use Butler to get a shit contract off their books and gather some young assets or draft picks back.  They should be looking for another expiring contract.  But they're a poorly run franchise so anything's on the table, but that would be a really bad trade on their part....

Name a better player Minnesota is going to get in this trade to replace their all-star. Tobias Harris maybe? I think that's the best other name I have seen thrown out there. Tyler Johnson and Gallinari sure as hell aren't worth it. 

2 years 26m for EG ain't bad, and he's good enough to trade for something else later if needed. The fact is Minnesota isn't going to get much out of this trade, because of the circumstances. EG is about the best they could do, and it wouldn't hurt to have someone that can actually hit a 3 on that team. He may be average defensively, but i think that lineup has plenty of defenders to cover for him. 

The Sacramento Kings are interested in helping to facilitate a Jimmy Butler trade.

The Minnesota Timberwolves and whichever team agrees to trade for him will possibly need a third team to take on salary. The Wolves are intent on trading Gorgui Dieng, who has three years and $48 million left on his contract.

The Kings are the only team in the NBA who can absorb the $11 million into cap space while they also possess several expiring contracts such as Zach Randolph, Iman Shumpert and Kosta Koufos.

The Kings are without their first round pick in 2019.

Assistant GM Brandon Williams has informed teams that the Kings aren't adverse to parking contracts that extend into the 2019-20 season.

21 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Now, we're talking!  Think beyond this season.  Do what you can to get draft picks, young talent, and cap space.  Use Butler to get out of mistake.  The Spurs didn't do this and it was a huge mistake, maybe the Twolves were watching.  Probably not, but at least they're trying....

41 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Sacramento Kings are interested in helping to facilitate a Jimmy Butler trade.

The Minnesota Timberwolves and whichever team agrees to trade for him will possibly need a third team to take on salary. The Wolves are intent on trading Gorgui Dieng, who has three years and $48 million left on his contract.

The Kings are the only team in the NBA who can absorb the $11 million into cap space while they also possess several expiring contracts such as Zach Randolph, Iman Shumpert and Kosta Koufos.

The Kings are without their first round pick in 2019.

Assistant GM Brandon Williams has informed teams that the Kings aren't adverse to parking contracts that extend into the 2019-20 season.

39 minutes ago, Llogg said:

What does Miami have to offer that would make any sense for the Wolves?

Dwyane Wade!

They probably don't have anyone off limits although it's doubtful the Wolves would be interested in Dragic (age/contract) and Tyler Johnson (contract).  Not sure if Miami would want to part with Bam Adebayo.  Whiteside's contract is huge and may not fit with KAT so probably leaves James Johnson (a little old), Olynk, Waiters, Ellington, Justice Winslow and Josh Richardson (who a lot folks like). 

Something like Butler/Dieng for Richardson/Olynk/Ellington may work.  Olynk and Richardson still have multiple years and money due but both are young (26 and 25) and tie up a smaller percentage of the cap so probably have re-trade value.  Ellington's on an expiring.  If they get a 3rd team in then impossible to know. 

The issue would still be Thibs.

53 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i would absolutely insist on justice winslow if i was the wolves.  his age fits minnesota's realistic timeline much better than butler's does.

He's young and has talent..... but not very good at this time and would become a RFA next summer.  They may not want that hassle.  Depends on how they see him.  He's improved his 3 point shooting but still can't make a FT.  TOV% is higher than his AST%.  He improved last year, they'd have to be convinced he'll continue that developmental arc and take another step.... or two.

If I am Minnesota I am trying to offer Dieng and Butler for Whiteside, Josh Richardson, and Adebayo.  Bam is locked in two more years and Richardson four and best of all, Whiteside has a team option so they can free up cap space and dump him after this season or get him cheaper.   They get rid of Dieng who has three more years locked in so that also frees up their space and they can let Teague go too if the price is not good.  I don't think Miami wants to give up Bam but Minnesota should try.  Minnesota's fatal flaw right now is they have a max slot used up for a talented player with a terrible heart, brain, and motor for the game of basketball (Wiggins) and there is nothing they can do about that right now.

If I'm MIN, best get would be J. Richardson from Heat but I wouldn't take back Waiters or Whiteside (that's where they need the 3rd team).  Next best is Tobias Harris, easy to make the salary match with Clippers but with the no traction report I guess the Logo would rather wait for FA.  The Nets are probably thinking the same. 

The one I'm fantasizing about is the Raptors going all in, trading either Siakam or OG but not both. The North would trump over the Celtics and almost guarantee a date with the Warriors for the Finals. As for the 76ers, they need to be patient, no need to speed up the timeline.

Heres my .02

Jimmys off the books next yr for like 20 million.. havin that tied up in tyler johnson or whiteside doesnt sound ideal to me.

Let him sit. I hate this players ran league BS. If he wants to sign with miami...let him next year.

I dont want 4 yrs of hassan whitesides broken ass at 22 million a yr