2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Nets or Knicks? So KI is going there next year

Clippers? Leonard will be going there next yr.

It's rumored Kawhi prefers the Clippers next summer...... I could actually see a very realistic scenario he stays in Toronto.  It's a pretty cool city.  

Nets/Knicks.  Knicks have some work to do but if Noah agrees to a buyout and they can move Hardaway, they can probably get two maxes next to Porzingis next season.  Nets have tons of room next year for 2 max players.... but will guys want to go there?  Just weird for Butler to want to give up a year of his prime (one of the last) to set up next year but maybe he likes those cities...

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is getting ridiculous. The league needs to do something about player movement when the next CBA comes up. They thought they had it figured out with the super max, but it is clearly not working. They are going to need a franchise tag or something. 

Why?  The NBA season now goes on 10 months now as June and early July the league is still in the news cycle and probably leads the news for a month leading up to FA while it's the silent period for the NFL.  It definitely has a benefit for the league.  The Supermax has helped in keeping Russ (super extension) and Wall with their clubs.  We're in a very transitive period in the NBA and some of the power is now with the players, but the money and exposure is still strong.

Franchise tag is an awful, awful mechanism.....

Why?  The NBA season now goes on 10 months now as June and early July the league is still in the news cycle and probably leads the news for a month leading up to FA while it's the silent period for the NFL.  It definitely has a benefit for the league.  The Supermax has helped in keeping Russ (super extension) and Wall with their clubs.  We're in a very transitive period in the NBA and some of the power is now with the players, but the money and exposure is still strong.

Players giving owners a list of teams they prefer to go to is fucking stupid because it lowers their trade value immensely thus screwing a franchise who gave you 20,000,000 dollars last year to play a stupid game

NBA players teaming up with buddies is also equally stupid.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I was just using the franchise tag as an example and you're correct about dominating the news cycle.... but I just don't think it is good for the long term competitive balance of the league. 

And it goes beyond players dictating their own destination. The whole idea of the extremely punitive luxury tax was to keep the big market teams (and guys like Paul Allen and Mark Cuban) from outspending the small market teams to keep the competitive balance of the league in check. But what happened is that the big market teams, for the most part, now have to keep their finances under control. Before, they just stupidly spent themselves out of contention but now with the shortened contracts and hard cap, everybody is essentially on equal footing. It's having the opposite effect of what was intended. Back in the day, the Lakers would have never been able to clear out enough cap space to sign Lebron and whoever else they will get next summer. Luol Deng would have been signed to a 6 year deal instead of a 4 year deal. Same thing with Timofey Mozgov. They would have never been able to unload those contracts.

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Players giving owners a list of teams they prefer to go to is fucking stupid because it lowers their trade value immensely thus screwing a franchise who gave you 20,000,000 dollars last year to play a stupid game

NBA players teaming up with buddies is also equally stupid.

Why?  They're going to be a free agent in a year and don't want to be part of the organization's future, don't you want them to be honest with you?  And organizations aren't under any obligation to send them to a player's list of teams.  Most folks that frequent this board understand I'm a Spurs fan and we just got destroyed by an impulsive player who probably set the franchise back by 5 years, so I understand the frustration and the anger.   However, owners wanted to less financial risk with guaranteed, long-term contracts.  They wanted to mitigate risk by not being attached to 5-6 year deals or longer and this is the trade off.  I get being on the ass end of the equation and being upset by it, but what's the solution?  Going back to the stone ages where the players had no leverage in their future isn't really realistic.  

34 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Players making their desired destinations known publicly is a new phenomenon--and it used to bug me--but, let's be real, it's always been a part of trade talks.  Prospective teams are just going to tweak the player's agent anyway to gauge his interest in their team long-term.

Kyrie allegedly threatening to hold out of camp and/or have [at the time] unnecessary surgery and whatever the fuck Kawhi's deal was are the issues that I currently have with player movement.  Their actions were horseshit.  But I have no problem with dudes requesting trades in a private, professional manner and informing the GM of where they'd consider re-signing to help the negotiation process.  You'd just better get your ass to camp and honor your contract if they refuse or take longer than you want.  I wish the trade request could be kept in-house until the deal happens, but I think that ship has sailed with social media.

Edited by aggie08

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was just using the franchise tag as an example and you're correct about dominating the news cycle.... but I just don't think it is good for the long term competitive balance of the league. 

And it goes beyond players dictating their own destination. The whole idea of the extremely punitive luxury tax was to keep the big market teams (and guys like Paul Allen and Mark Cuban) from outspending the small market teams to keep the competitive balance of the league in check. But what happened is that the big market teams, for the most part, now have to keep their finances under control. Before, they just stupidly spent themselves out of contention but now with the shortened contracts and hard cap, everybody is essentially on equal footing. It's having the opposite effect of what was intended. Back in the day, the Lakers would have never been able to clear out enough cap space to sign Lebron and whoever else they will get next summer. Luol Deng would have been signed to a 6 year deal instead of a 4 year deal. Same thing with Timofey Mozgov. They would have never been able to unload those contracts.

I actually agree with your thesis..... I do think there is some huge risk to the NBA to unintentionally still have a competitive imbalance scenario whereby big market teams dominate.  The past decade they've a bit insulated from it because some of the big market teams were so ineffectively managed and owned and because the best player in the world happened to be from a small market.  There is substantial risk the 4 LA/NY teams, if competently managed, could easily attract UFA's in their prime and have players "team up".  The raw resources large market teams have can competently leveraged especially when marketing/advertisements can dwarf or at least equal the pay these players are getting for their "work" contracts..... The NBA may not actually care though until small market teams start imploding.

Butler getting a 5 year contract at 30 is hilarious, but the Nets should do it. Trade for him, so that they can acquire his bird rights. If they can get Crabbe off the books in that trade, as their salaries match, then the Nets probably are the favorites to land Irving. Crabbe isn't a better player than Butler, but he's a better fit for the Wolves, as he's a reliable 3 point shooter that doesn't need the ball in his hands.

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Butler getting a 5 year contract at 30 is hilarious, but the Nets should do it. Trade for him, so that they can acquire his bird rights. If they can get Crabbe off the books in that trade, as their salaries match, then the Nets probably are the favorites to land Irving. Crabbe isn't a better player than Butler, but he's a better fit for the Wolves, as he's a reliable 3 point shooter that doesn't need the ball in his hands.

Never doubt the Nets ability to field the Eastern Conference All-Star team from 5 years prior.

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Jimmy and Kawhi want to be teammates. I wouldnt mind Tobias Harris and Beverely. Beverleys the dog everyone hates to play against and Tobias has a nice game that would compliment KATS much better than Gibson does

That was my exact thought..... money would work too.  Clippers would suck enough to keep their first rounder next draft and then could go after another max FA guy next year aggressively or perhaps a trade.

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
7 hours ago, aggie08 said:
And KAT was the player that the majority of GMs would choose to build a franchise around--over LeBron, KD, and AD--only a couple of years ago.
The NBA moves quick.

Kats only 22 and has put up some ridiculous numbers. But hes proving to be mentally fragile. But his offensive skillset is elite status

How you gonna unload Wiggins?

I don't think Wiggins goes anywhere this year..... A trade for Harris and Beverly would be decent.  Harris and Bradley may work better but I don't think the Clippers can trade Bradley until the New Year.  Twolves would be PG heavy with Teague, Jones, Beverly and Rose on the squad so they may not want Bev.  May opt for a big man like Boban.

That would give them something like Teague, Wiggins, Harris, Taj and KAT in a big lineup.  

Small they could go Teague, Rose, Wiggins, Harris and KAT.

Bench would be Taj (if not starting), Boban, Tyus Jones, Dieng, and Okogie.

TWolves really need another wing coming back, but other than Wes Johnson there may not be a natural fit....

12 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I don't think I've ever hated anything as much as every Wolf seems to hate one another. Great work, Thibs.

ESPN doing ESPN things with their Top 10, where apparently the postseason--what they're actually playing for--doesn't particularly matter.

10. Dame

9. Embiid

8. Kawhi

7. Russ

6. AD

T-4. Giannis

T-4. KD

3. Harden

2. Steph

1. LeBron

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24668720/nbarank-2018-19-1-10-best-players-season

11 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I don't think I've ever hated anything as much as every Wolf seems to hate one another. Great work, Thibs.

Someone (who in all honesty isn't a very good source for this sort of thing) told me a few years ago that nobody liked Jimmy Butler. In fact, they told me he was the least liked player in the league. 

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

ESPN doing ESPN things with their Top 10, where apparently the postseason--what they're actually playing for--doesn't particularly matter.

10. Dame

9. Embiid

8. Kawhi

7. Russ

6. AD

T-4. Giannis

T-4. KD

3. Harden

2. Steph

1. LeBron

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24668720/nbarank-2018-19-1-10-best-players-season

That top 6 is bizarre (which I'm sure is their goal). I suppose there are arguments to be made for Steph over KD (not that I agree), but Harden over KD and, more importantly, Giannis over AD is absurd. 

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

10. Dame

9. Embiid

8. Kawhi

7. Russ

6. AD

T-4. Giannis

T-4. KD

3. Harden

2. Steph

1. LeBron

KD is fourth now? *Tied* for fourth with a guy who's won exactly nothing? GTFO. And again, Russ ahead of Kawhi? On what planet? And AD sixth? You know damn well that even espn doesn't believe this list.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

That top 6 is bizarre (which I'm sure is their goal). I suppose there are arguments to be made for Steph over KD (not that I agree), but Harden over KD and, more importantly, Giannis over AD is absurd. 

I'm obviously the resident Steph homer, and if they're taking a who has the most impact on their team--on the court and off--approach, rather than who, in a vacuum, can do more on a basketball court, then sure, I guess there's an small argument for Steph over KD...but, they spent the entire list stressing the importance of availability and durability, harshly punishing injury-prone guys, only to put Steph at #2 when it's a pretty open secret that Golden State is going to to limit his games significantly this year to hopefully keep him upright through June. 

Dame at #10 referencing his "big-game" ability with no mention of his mostly terrible playoff performances.  Harden above a 2x Finals MVP with 6 WCF appearances under his belt.  A guy who, yes, has limitless potential, but has yet to get out of the first round in the East over AD.  It's mess.

Yall must think Robert Horry is greater than Barkley... and that D-Wade should be 2nd.

Playoff outcome has little to do with how great a player is... stop that...

Without a move to GSW, KD has zero rings... that doesn't make him not the 2nd best player (imo) int the league.

If Steph played for the Rockets and Harden with GSW, which team would have won the ring last year?

Hell, why isn't Draymond 3rd?

Stop.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Even if we say outcome doesn't matter, playoff performance sure as shit does, and there's absolutely no comparison between KD and Harden.

8 minutes ago, Snacks said:

If Steph played for the Rockets and Harden with GSW, which team would have won the ring last year?

Probably Houston.

17 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Yall must think Robert Horry is greater than Barkley... and that D-Wade should be 2nd.

Without a move to GSW, KD has zero rings... that doesn't make him not the 2nd best player (imo) int the league.

Hell, why isn't Draymond 3rd?

Stop.

GS is a strange team.  I wouldn’t make the argument that Steph and Draymond are better than Durant, because they aren’t, but they are the two players that allow GS to play the way they play.  I don’t think a ball-dominant player like Harden would find success in GS’s system. He’d get his for sure, but he would fuck up the team dynamic that is the foundation of GS’s system.  It’s an interesting contrast between two teams who won a lot of games last year.  Durant is the best player because he would be an all-nba player in either place and wouldn’t fuck up the dynamic of either team.

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at anything that happens in the NBA any more. 

Apparently, Durant is starting a show on ESPN+, and his 1st scheduled guest..? Well, none other than LeBron James... (also a bit of texting & partying of the two):

LeBron James reportedly texted Kevin Durant regarding Los Angeles ...

Jun 28, 2018
Reports say that LeBron James and Kevin Durant exchanged text messages about possibly ... Nick Saban ...

*(Don't be surprised if Durant gets a large part in the upcoming Space Jam 2 movie, produced by King James company)...

Edited by kopp0e