2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah 2012 dallas with the same roster wasn't going to repeat....

That's most likely true. That team epitomized unrepeatable, catching lighting in a bottle success.

...but there has to be a middle ground between overpaying anyone and everyone after a championship, and having a yard sale--wasting the rest of Dirk's prime--holding out hope for free agents years away.

To not even make a reasonable attempt at staying in contention and being in the mix is criminal.

• Like 2

possibly the best euro of all time....???

also it's worth remembering jkidd's second stint with dallas, he was not a bad shooter at all.  he was one of the nba's better shooters in terms of 3P% and 3PM, especially in the playoffs.

Possibly?

What Euro has been better?

I did think he would be too soft in the beginning, but he made a believer out of me. Hell, he's one of the best PFs to play period. Even with his bad defense.

In terms of aesthetics and degree of difficulty, Kyrie has no equal...

...but there are plenty of guys who, by the numbers, are as effective or moreso at finishing below the rim.

Now, whether that's because Kyrie attempts lay-ups that other guys wouldn't even dream of--thus bumping down his %'s (like Steph with his 3's)---is probably a reasonable debate.

28 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

In terms of aesthetics and degree of difficulty, Kyrie has no equal...

...but there are plenty of guys who, by the numbers, are as effective or moreso at finishing below the rim.

Now, whether that's because Kyrie attempts lay-ups that other guys wouldn't even dream of--thus bumping down his %'s (like Steph with his 3's)---is probably a reasonable debate.

Kobe Bryant effect..... Kobe Bryant was a great "tough jump shot" maker.... this is mainly considered a truth because he attempted so many "tough jump shots", a ton of them needlessly.

Everyone's favorite time of the year: SI and ESPN (among other publications) releasing their yearly click-bait Top 100 lists!

ESPN is drawing theirs out all week, but SI already posted the entire list:

1. LBJ

2. KD

3. Steph

4. Harden

5. AD

6. Freak

7. Russ

8. CP3

9. Embiid

10. Butler

11. Playoff P

12. Kawhi

13. Draymond

15. Dame

17. Kyrie

22. Klay

And the injured stars:

24. Wall

25. Hayward

68. Boogie

unranked: Melo

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/09/10/top-100-nba-players-2019-lebron-james-stephen-curry-dirk-nowitzki

Edited by aggie08

Interesting list but the injury issue with Kawhi made a difference...

Here is another list of Top 15 that was composed by a group of people internally that do a lot of analytics so there is likely some bias towards specific metrics that are relevant to their own work...

1. LBJ        Sports Illustrated (1) 

2. Durant                                   (2)

3. Curry                                     (3)

4. AD                                         (5)

5. Kawhi                                   (12)

6. Harden                                (4)

7. Giannis                                (6)

8. Westbrook                          (7)

9. Paul                                     (8)

10. Embiid                              (9)

11. Jokic                                (not in top 15)

12. Butler                               (10)

13. Gobert                             (14)

14. Green                              (13)

15. Oladipo                          (not in top 15)

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

also, the shaggy fantasy basketball league has a couple of open spots if anyone wants to join. we've been doing it for a while now, it's a really funny league, $75 buy in, which is chump change for our surly elite. just head on over to the thread and let us know if you want to join.

fixed that.

I saw this coming with Butler several months ago.... Wish the Spurs would have been more patient.  I wonder who the 3 teams are?  I'm going to guess Knicks, LA, and something squirrely like Dallas. 

Of course it's going to be Golden State..... lol.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I saw this coming with Butler several months ago.... Wish the Spurs would have been more patient.  I wonder who the 3 teams are?  I'm going to guess Knicks, LA, and something squirrely like Dallas. 

Him and kyrie have some sort of love relationship so Boston would probably be one of the teams

Butler's tweet on Monday may have been the funniest moment of the NBA offseason. Essentially:

"Never trust the media. Don't believe what you hear. I don't know where they're getting this information. It's all made up bullshit...

...the meeting where I express my discontent in the franchise is actually tomorrow not today, so you were way off."

Edited by aggie08

26 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

No chance in hell they'd trade Klay for him, even if, in a vacuum, Butler is the better player.

They wouldn't trade Draymond for him either; though, it is fun to picture MNLonghorn's aneurism if they did.

Edited by aggie08

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Remember a few years ago when people were saying Minnesota looked to have one of the brightest futures in the NBA?

Well..... really only MinnesotaHorn was saying that.  LOL.  Sort of Bizarre..... those teams are still pretty far away unless the Clippers can get Kawhi next summer too.  Looks like a money grab without much thought to future.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Remember a few years ago when people were saying Minnesota looked to have one of the brightest futures in the NBA?

And KAT was the player that the majority of GMs would choose to build a franchise around--over LeBron, KD, and AD--only a couple of years ago.

The NBA moves quick.

Minnesota's Jimmy Butler has three preferred destinations for a trade, league sources tell ESPN: The Brooklyn Nets, Los Angeles Clippers and New York Knicks. Those three teams have max cap space to sign Butler as a free agent in July.
-Woj
Nets or Knicks? So KI is going there next year

Clippers? Leonard will be going there next yr.