2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
14 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:
League did a great job of holding that secret down..... lol.  Frankly, having the Knicks on is embarrassing.  I don't give a shit where they are, they suck, they have sucked and they will suck.  Get over it NBA.  Bucks/Raptors would have been better or even Bucks/Pacers.

Yeah I don't get this. Raptors just got Kawhi. One of the top teams in the East. How are they not on Xmas day? Bucks I get. But why the fucking Knicks? Aside from being the NY market, they are irrelevant and have been for a long time. Raptors would have been perfect in that spot. Hell Raptors v Spurs would have good, too.

Cause Toronto is at best an average market team that doesn't bring in the viewership NYK does. Even when NYK sucks, they still pull in more national viewers than some good mid-market teams. 

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Cause Toronto is at best an average market team that doesn't bring in the viewership NYK does. Even when NYK sucks, they still pull in more national viewers than some good mid-market teams. 

Are you sure?  How would we know?  

1.  The Knicks have 1 game in the top 10 for Xmas day ratings, a 2012 affair where they went cross country to the Lakers in prime time with Kobe's Lakers only a year removed from a championship.  The Knicks weren't really the draw and that game comes in 9th overall since they started playing on the holiday.

2.  The Knicks/Was did a 1.8 rating in 2014.  The Pelicans/Lebron less Heat did a 1.9 in 2015 in the same noon ET time slot.  There's not a ton of data that says a listless Knicks team is a better draw than a matchup of good teams on Christmas.  Perhaps marginally, but not much.

3.  If the NBA isn't going to give exposure to their small or mid size market teams when they're good to try and build a following, then the NBA will continue to marginalize those teams in small markets and they'll financially struggle when they have to rebuild.  Toronto and Milwaukee are great Eastern teams to give exposure right now.  It's short-term thinking vs long term vision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Are you sure?  How would we know?  

1.  The Knicks have 1 game in the top 10 for Xmas day ratings, a 2012 affair where they went cross country to the Lakers in prime time with Kobe's Lakers only a year removed from a championship.  The Knicks weren't really the draw and that game comes in 9th overall since they started playing on the holiday.

2.  The Knicks/Was did a 1.8 rating in 2014.  The Pelicans/Lebron less Heat did a 1.9 in 2015 in the same noon ET time slot.  There's not a ton of data that says a listless Knicks team is a better draw than a matchup of good teams on Christmas.  Perhaps marginally, but not much.

3.  If the NBA isn't going to give exposure to their small or mid size market teams when they're good to try and build a following, then the NBA will continue to marginalize those teams in small markets and they'll financially struggle when they have to rebuild.  Toronto and Milwaukee are great Eastern teams to give exposure right now.  It's short-term thinking vs long term vision.

They do track this stuff, it's not based on gut feelings. The Knicks were terrible last year, and were able to be #7 in total ratings per nationally televised game. Toronto had their best season EVAR!!! and got 16th. Now maybe the difference is time slots and holidays or whatever, but regardless the Knicks still did really well given how bad they were overall.  Lebron+Lakers this year is gonna be crazy ratings this year. 

Here's the breakdown on average viewers per game:

topnbateams.png

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/nba-ratings-warriors-cavs-local-national/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

They do track this stuff, it's not based on gut feelings. The Knicks were terrible last year, and were able to be #7 in total ratings per nationally televised game. Toronto had their best season EVAR!!! and got 16th. Now maybe the difference is time slots and holidays or whatever, but regardless the Knicks still did really well given how bad they were overall.  Lebron+Lakers this year is gonna be crazy ratings this year. 

topnbateams.png

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/nba-ratings-warriors-cavs-local-national/

And here's the breakdown on ratings and viewers specifically on Christmas..... I wasn't debating how the Knicks do on TNT on a random Thursday night.  I'm sure they do well relatively.  The idea is to promote and give exposure to teams expected to be good even if they're in small markets rather give a shitty product even if it has a big market team.  If the Knicks were expected to be good.... great, get them on, but they don't seem to really drive viewership on this specific holiday.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-christmas-ratings-chart-history/

TOP TEN GAMES
All on ABC
Highest Rated Most-Watched
# Year Game Rtg. # Year Game Vwrs.
1 2004 MIA-LAL 7.3 1 2004 MIA-LAL 13.18M
2 2010 MIA-LAL 6.4 2 2010 MIA-LAL 13.11M
3 2015 CLE-GS 5.7 3 2015 CLE-GS 11.12M
4 2011 CHI-LAL 5.6 4 2011 CHI-LAL 11.01M
5 2008 BOS-LAL 5.3 5 2016 GS-CLE 10.14M
6 2012 OKC-MIA 5.1 6 2008 BOS-LAL 9.98M
7 2016 GS-CLE 4.9 7 2012 OKC-MIA 9.63M
8 2011 MIA-DAL 4.9 8 2014 CLE-MIA 9.33M
T9 2014 CLE-MIA 4.8 9 2011 MIA-DAL 9.02M
2012 NY-LAL 4.8 10 2017 CLE-GS

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

topnbateams.png

Memphis, 2 games, why the hell did this team leave Vancouver again..?

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And here's the breakdown on ratings and viewers specifically on Christmas..... I wasn't debating how the Knicks do on TNT on a random Thursday night.  I'm sure they do well relatively.  The idea is to promote and give exposure to teams expected to be good even if they're in small markets rather give a shitty product even if it has a big market team.  If the Knicks were expected to be good.... great, get them on, but they don't seem to really drive viewership on this specific holiday.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-christmas-ratings-chart-history/

TOP TEN GAMES
All on ABC
Highest Rated Most-Watched
# Year Game Rtg. # Year Game Vwrs.
1 2004 MIA-LAL 7.3 1 2004 MIA-LAL 13.18M
2 2010 MIA-LAL 6.4 2 2010 MIA-LAL 13.11M
3 2015 CLE-GS 5.7 3 2015 CLE-GS 11.12M
4 2011 CHI-LAL 5.6 4 2011 CHI-LAL 11.01M
5 2008 BOS-LAL 5.3 5 2016 GS-CLE 10.14M
6 2012 OKC-MIA 5.1 6 2008 BOS-LAL 9.98M
7 2016 GS-CLE 4.9 7 2012 OKC-MIA 9.63M
8 2011 MIA-DAL 4.9 8 2014 CLE-MIA 9.33M
T9 2014 CLE-MIA 4.8 9 2011 MIA-DAL 9.02M
2012 NY-LAL 4.8 10 2017 CLE-GS

Back when the Shaq/ Kobe beef was real... #1 MIA-LAL

What narrative?  He's the best defensive player in the NBA, finished in the top 5 is assists per game, and was probably the 2nd best player on a championship-winning team--and was definitely the 2nd best player on a 73 win team--before KD even got there.  That's beyond Horace Grant level contributions.
He's also a hot-headed, petulant child who cost them another title and ruined the "best season ever."
Both can be true.

if I pass to Curry, Thompson, and KD, I will get a lot of assists.

But, yeah, DG is good.

Horace Grant was, too.

Neither could play in the other's game/era.

I'm so late. bye.

Don't the Knicks have a streak of playing on Christmas Day?  Like the nfl puts the Lions on every Thanksgiving. 

And didn't someone mention during the playoffs that Toronto does not count in the TV ratings?  If so,  I think that would play a big factor in not showing them on Christmas. 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.. 89b79b13380124422e19764aafa61602.jpg

B, D, Karl Malone and the field.  I think people are getting "dirty" mixed up with "rough". Dirty means intentionally trying to cause injury in sneaky ways outside of the game flow. Guys like Laimbeer, Mahorn, Rodman (crazy they were all on the same team), Maurice Lucas and some others were tough guy enforcers but I won't call them "dirty". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orca of Peace said:

with few exceptions, all of that was rough play. Guys like Bowen and zaza are flat out evil and should have been permanently tossed from the NBA.

Riiiiiiiiight. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone describe Laimbeer’s antics as rough play or call him a tough guy enforcer. Congrats?