2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Not too mention that Cousins is every much the locker room cancer that Melo can be.

Well yeah, I don't recall anyone in this thread praising boogie as being the high character type that holds the locker room together. Who do you feel will accept their role this season? The recovering player who slowly works his way into the rotation and is expected to make an impact in the post season? Or the egomaniac who stated that's he above being a bench player, still has an overwhelming amount of ability and is playing for a coach he ran out town once in the past?

30 minutes ago, Chad said:

Well yeah, I don't recall anyone in this thread praising boogie as being the high character type that holds the locker room together. Who do you feel will accept their role this season? The recovering player who slowly works his way into the rotation and is expected to make an impact in the post season? Or the egomaniac who stated that's he above being a bench player, still has an overwhelming amount of ability and is playing for a coach he ran out town once in the past?

The fact that Boogie is looking for a long term max deal  eliminates any concern of him being a locker room issue IMO

1 hour ago, d2o said:

The fact that Boogie is looking for a long term max deal  eliminates any concern of him being a locker room issue IMO

See, I think because he wants that big money deal, he's going to want the ball more to put up stats and justify that max contract. If he's only get 10 points and 10 rebounds a game, it's hard to justify 25m per a year.  I don't think he's going to be as easy to deal with as everyone expects. 

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

this is kinda cool to see: 

For some reason, the photo of an adolescent Lavine looks as though he was already more developed than Steph Curry when he was drafted...

0*kIReaer8Ajwp9MWr.jpg

Edited by kopp0e

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

See, I think because he wants that big money deal, he's going to want the ball more to put up stats and justify that max contract. If he's only get 10 points and 10 rebounds a game, it's hard to justify 25m per a year.  I don't think he's going to be as easy to deal with as everyone expects. 

if he is doing that in 20/25 min/gm it will.   No way he or anyone thinks he needs to put up 25/12 in this yr's situation

Cousins is 27 years old.  He'll show progress this year and if he doesn't get a big contract (someone will give him one) then he might look around and take a 1 year deal for like $15-20mm.  Show more progress and get his max.  I wouldn't put something like that past him given that he has already agreed to take minimal dollars to recover (and win a ring) and he knows what he can be from a production standpoint.

Cousins is going to get paid.  The only thing he needs to do is to make sure his recovery is solid.  Steven Adams got paid big time coming off a year where he average 11 & 8 and he doesn't have half the offensive skills boogie does.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Cousins is 27 years old.  He'll show progress this year and if he doesn't get a big contract (someone will give him one) then he might look around and take a 1 year deal for like $15-20mm.  Show more progress and get his max.  I wouldn't put something like that past him given that he has already agreed to take minimal dollars to recover (and win a ring) and he knows what he can be from a production standpoint.

Cousins is going to get paid.  The only thing he needs to do is to make sure his recovery is solid.  Steven Adams got paid big time coming off a year where he average 11 & 8 and he doesn't have half the offensive skills boogie does.

This could go the route of Isaiah moving from pillar to post, after the whole back up the Brinks comment, but hopefully it works for Cousins...

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Adams contract was a retarded overpay, but he wasn't coming off the NBA career death injury either. It's hilarious to think Cousins is going to be anywhere close to what he was pre-injury, as only 1 person has been able to do it.

Edited by HtownHorn

39 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Adams contract was a retarded overpay, but he wasn't coming off the NBA career death injury either. It's hilarious to think Cousins is going to be anywhere close to what he was pre-injury, as only 1 person has been able to do it.

I have no idea how Boogie's injury is going to respond, but much of that historical data is dated in light of today's advances in medical treatment and recovery, and it's also a pretty small sample size with great variation in player age. Boogie's game was never really predicated on his elite athleticism to begin with. I think he will be okay. I also think the narrative on him has improved a bit since he got out of Sacramento. It should get even better after a year in Golden State. At one time Zach Randolph was the biggest knucklehead in the league and then he grew up. Some of that could be happening to Cousins as well. 

I don't think you can say it was a bad year for RFAs when guys like Lavine and Parker are getting 20m per. The Rockets were going to match any offer, even a max, and everyone knew it, so nobody bothered tying up money on CC. Good for the Rockets, but it's good for Clint too. 90 million guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at. He will continue to flourish in this system, which is the best environment he could ask for. 

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't think you can say it was a bad year for RFAs when guys like Lavine and Parker are getting 20m per. The Rockets were going to match any offer, even a max, and everyone knew it, so nobody bothered tying up money on CC. Good for the Rockets, but it's good for Clint too. 90 million guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at. He will continue to flourish in this system, which is the best environment he could ask for. 

Parker only got one season.   I wouldn't count him

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

Parker only got one season.   I wouldn't count him

There's no way he gets 20m for one season if he's not an RFA. The Bulls made it to where the Bucks couldn't match, that's why they overpaid for him. it's relevant to the RFA market, as part of the game is basically a blind auction. 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Steven Adams is also prolly the best defensive center in the league and he signed that in 2016 when he was only 23.  (He's 25 now.)  Because he looks like a Dothraki, he's a lot younger than he looks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

There's no way he gets 20m for one season if he's not an RFA. The Bulls made it to where the Bucks couldn't match, that's why they overpaid for him. it's relevant to the RFA market, as part of the game is basically a blind auction. 

The Bucks renounced his rights before he was signed.    He was a UFA at that point.

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Adams being overpaid doesn't mean that boogie won't get overpaid too.  About half the players in the NBA are making 150% of what they should be.  Boogie will get his ring and then chase money for the next 4-5 years and then either fizzle out or chase a ring again.  If you have to deal with this injury, he is really in a good spot to deal with it from an age standpoint (he's already made $60mm), from a contract standpoint (he had an expiring deal so he could go anywhere), from a personality standpoint (he wants to be on a team that can handle him and win, and he understands his own situation right now so he took less money to be on that team), and from a future standpoint in that he can still go get millions if he shows that he is going to be even serviceable for the next 4 years.

Look at other ring chasers, they start giving up tons of money at 33 years old because they don't have a ring.  Cousins will have one so he can sign 2 more big(ish) contracts if he can come back and be a 15 and 8 guy for the rest of his career... really not a bad situation if you have to deal with that injury.

A few statements from Paul George on choosing Oklahoma City over his hometown of Los Angeles:

Thunder’s Paul George Harbors No Lakers Regrets: ‘I Don’t Need No Big City or Big Lights’

When I told the Pacers I wanted to play [in LA], that was true feelings,” said George, a native of Palmdale, Calif. “I wanted to come back home. To play for home, to put that jersey on for family and for what I grew up watching. I wanted to carry that legacy. But I went to Oklahoma, fell in love with it and I’m happy with the decision.”

I’m a family man now,” the 28-year-old George said of his decision. “I don’t need no distractions, I don’t need no big cities, no big lights, at this point in my career. For as beautiful as Oklahoma is, it doesn’t have big lights and none of that. But that’s fine. … I’m a low-maintenance, low-key, chill guy. I’m not out in the streets, I’m not out in the club, at parties, I’m not really at movie premieres. After games, after practice, I’m home, I’m with my kids, I’m with my girl, and I’m chilling.”

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/07/26/th...sell-westbrook

On 7/28/2018 at 8:37 AM, UDontKnow said:

That's the first that I've seen "Oklahoma" and "beautiful" used in the same sentence. Usually the accompanying term is "sucks."

Well, on the bright side for Okies,  it only took 111 years for some to think the state sucks less than usual..?

Article on how George will be the man with a 10 gallon hat, alongside Westbrook:

Paul George was well-received in OKC, but nothing like he's about to be

5 hours ago - George's decision to stay when most thought he was leaving makes him an Oklahomahero.

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

im sure it was just a modern day NBA "brawl". few shoves, lots of fake wind ups, clenched fists defending themselves and a whole ton of swearing.

TT should've really clocked his ass. His jersey sales would've sky rocketed.

Reportedly he did.

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

im sure it was just a modern day NBA "brawl". few shoves, lots of fake wind ups, clenched fists defending themselves and a whole ton of swearing.

TT should've really clocked his ass. His jersey sales would've sky rocketed.

HOLD ME BACK! HOLD ME BACK BRO!!! HOLD ME BACK, I MEAN IT!!! 

***angry yelling***

i don't like draymond, but if someone's trying to apologize to you you can't hit them.  and if you do anyway and they don't hit you back, you can't hit them again.  punk move.

His mouth brings it on himself. TT tried congratulating him after game 4 and DG said something like "you're not level with me". I'm sure most of it is adrenaline after winning the finals and 4 games of shit talking TT/Clevelandso DG has obviously cooled off to approach TT like that...but a sucker punch to DG is a sucker punch for all non GSW fans. 

He does a lot of talking being the fourth fiddle.

His mouth brings it on himself. TT tried congratulating him after game 4 and DG said something like "you're not level with me". I'm sure most of it is adrenaline after winning the finals and 4 games of shit talking TT/Clevelandso DG has obviously cooled off to approach TT like that...but a sucker punch to DG is a sucker punch for all non GSW fans.  

He does a lot of talking being the fourth fiddle.
Agreed. I applaud someone punching that loud mouth clown, sucker punch or not.

It's too bad TT doesn't take criticisms about his non-existent offensive skillset and ridiculous contract as personally as he apparently took Draymond correctly pointing out that he's not on his level.
Remember when Cleveland would dare DG to shoot? If you're that guy the other team is daring you to beat them, maybe keep your mouth shut.

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Remember when Cleveland would dare DG to shoot? If you're that guy the other team is daring you to beat them, maybe keep your mouth shut.

That's dumb. How much less effective would Dennis Rodman have been had he kept his mouth shut because he can't shoot? Every title level team needs someone who gets under the opponents' skin. Judging from this incident and TT's disappearing act the past two Finals, I'd say job well done.

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

I hate that everyone just bus into the draymond green narrative. He's Horace Grant with Barkley's mouth and John Starks likeability. Fuck that guy.

What narrative?  He's the best defensive player in the NBA, finished in the top 5 is assists per game, and was probably the 2nd best player on a championship-winning team--and was definitely the 2nd best player on a 73 win team--before KD even got there.  That's beyond Horace Grant level contributions.

He's also a hot-headed, petulant child who cost them another title and ruined the "best season ever."

Both can be true.