2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I am skeptical about any 'can't miss player', especially foreign ones. I believe this was the same kind of talk that one dude from 2003 or 2004 had. Can't remember his name but I think the Pistons drafted him.

Darko Millicic.

There hasn't been a Euro perimeter superstar.........ever.     And there are consistently very large busts in the top 5-10 from Europe.    He looks  pretty good in his league but to act like he is a can't miss is just too much for me.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

There's a distinction between can't miss and certified star. It's just a barometer of where people think his floor is. I'd honestly be shocked if Doncic wasn't at least as good as someone like Joe Ingles, Tyreke Evans, or Bojan Bogdanovic. The question is whether he'll be in the realm of an allstar level player.

A serviceable NBA player is good.   Nothing wrong with that but that isn't what the people I've seen have him projected and is that really the expectation from the 3rd pick overall?

Darko Millicic.
There hasn't been a Euro perimeter superstar.........ever.     And there are consistently very large busts in the top 5-10 from Europe.    He looks  pretty good in his league but to act like he is a can't miss is just too much for me.   
Drazen(sp?) Petrovic was on his way to becoming one before his untimely death.
  • Like 1

I am skeptical about any 'can't miss player', especially foreign ones. I believe this was the same kind of talk that one dude from 2003 or 2004 had. Can't remember his name but I think the Pistons drafted him.

In fairness the Euro leagues weren't as good back then as they are now and no other young euro star has been this accomplished coming into the NBA. Darko barely played. His hype was all based on potential, not even what he'd done in euro leagues as he had barely played at the time. Even the hype surrounding guys like Porzingis was based on what he'd done in international tournaments against age mates because he barely played in his pro league.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Darko Millicic.

It would depend on how you define things including the word "superstar".  Tony Parker is a Finals MVP, multiple AS, and certain HOF.  Dirk is a forward but spent a lot of his time on the perimeter.  The Greak Freak is a 2nd team All-NBA player and top 10 MVP player.  

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It would depend on how you define things including the word "superstar".  Tony Parker is a Finals MVP, multiple AS, and certain HOF.  Dirk is a forward but spent a lot of his time on the perimeter.  The Greak Freak is a 2nd team All-NBA player and top 10 MVP player.  

Dirk shoots a lot of 3s.   I dont think anyone would call him a perimeter player.    Parker has and should never be in a superstar conversation.       Giannis is a superstar

28 minutes ago, d2o said:

Dirk shoots a lot of 3s.   I dont think anyone would call him a perimeter player.    Parker has and should never be in a superstar conversation.       Giannis is a superstar

Hence the point of my post..... people may define it differently.  At his apex, Parker was an All-NBA player (2nd team) for 3 straight years and thusly considered a top 10ish player (certainly top 20 player) by the media.  Dirk has shot almost 53% of his shots from outside of 16 feet in his career.  Depends on how folks are looking at it.  Regardless, there's a lot of good Euro players and will only be more in the future, maybe Doncic will be the first "big PG" from Europe.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hence the point of my post..... people may define it differently.  At his apex, Parker was an All-NBA player (2nd team) for 3 straight years and thusly considered a top 10ish player (certainly top 20 player) by the media.  Dirk has shot almost 53% of his shots from outside of 16 feet in his career.  Depends on how folks are looking at it.  Regardless, there's a lot of good Euro players and will only be more in the future, maybe Doncic will be the first "big PG" from Europe.

Yes, maybe and that is my point.    There are many who are acting like it's a foregone conclusion that Doncic will be a superstar.   

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Well, at least we can all agree, it's not going to be Zhaire Smith.....

This is awful for him and his development.  Unfortunately, a ton of guys rush back in a 8-10 week time frame and end up having to get a 2nd surgery.  KD had this injury.

PHI seems to have the worst luck with their rookies.

17 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What was the steam behind the Mario guy the magic drafted #6 2 yrs ago? He wasn't heard of after the draft until he signed with the Knicks this summer. What was his claim to game for being drafted high

Hezonja.   He was supposedly uber-athletic and a great shooter from deep.    He stinks at the NBA level.

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What was the steam behind the Mario guy the magic drafted #6 2 yrs ago? He wasn't heard of after the draft until he signed with the Knicks this summer. What was his claim to game for being drafted high

Hezonja, Croatian.  He came into the league with a rep as an athletic scorer who was aggressive to the rim.  Hasn't worked out that way and he's not a great shooter so he'll need to figure it out.  Change of scenery may be good for him and he's only 23.  

55 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yes, maybe and that is my point.    There are many who are acting like it's a foregone conclusion that Doncic will be a superstar.   

I think we need a better definition of superstar. If the dividing line is Giannis and Tony Parker, then I don't remember a lot of folks saying he was going to be one of the top what, 5-10 players in the league? The only guys I can remember saying that sort of thing about in the past maybe 20 drafts were Lebron and Anthony Davis. I don't recall anybody putting Doncic in that class.

It may take a few years or realignment because the conferences are so lopsided right now, but I think he's going to be an all star. Now being a top 5 or so player in the league is a huge reach for just about any player coming out.  I also don't see a lot of guys come into the league with his size with his combination of shooting, handles, passing and basketball IQ. I've been wrong before but it's somewhat akin to my evaluation of Porzingis -- here's an unusually talented guy with unique skills for his size playing in the second best league in the world at a very young age, and putting up really good numbers.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think we need a better definition of superstar. If the dividing line is Giannis and Tony Parker, then I don't remember a lot of folks saying he was going to be one of the top what, 5-10 players in the league? The only guys I can remember saying that sort of thing about in the past maybe 20 drafts were Lebron and Anthony Davis. I don't recall anybody putting Doncic in that class.

It may take a few years or realignment because the conferences are so lopsided right now, but I think he's going to be an all star. Now being a top 5 or so player in the league is a huge reach for just about any player coming out.  I also don't see a lot of guys come into the league with his size with his combination of shooting, handles, passing and basketball IQ. I've been wrong before but it's somewhat akin to my evaluation of Porzingis -- here's an unusually talented guy with unique skills for his size playing in the second best league in the world at a very young age, and putting up really good numbers.

I was very wrong about Porzingis.    For the greatness of the game I hope I am wrong about Doncic.   I don't believe that I am.

C'mon, make it happen Morey!

Kelly Iko: Source: Atlanta would be open to taking Ryan Anderson’s remaining $41 million back, but would need draft pick + one of Houston’s young guys. A package of Anderson, Melton and a 2019 first might be enough to get a deal done, but Houston is high on Melton and his upside.

Kelly Iko: Source: Kent Bazemore’s list of suitors also includes Milwaukee, who recently contacted the Hawks but initial trade talks didn’t get very far. Kent loves Atlanta, but would be open to a move to HOU/MIL since he knows both coaches well and would be joining a contender.

24 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

so knicks/bucks will be 11am

usually GS is a day game, we'll put them at 1:30

celtics sixers will be mid day

leaving us with raptors @ spurs, then something like wolves@nuggets night cap

Gotta think Houston will be on Xmas and maybe Utah or the Cans.  1:30 for a California game?  That's 10:30 am.....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

15 minutes ago, Llogg said:

You can't vote for Grant Hill until you prove he's not Steve Smith.

oh good, more completely laughable and asinine takes from you. Grant Hill was a phenom when he entered the league, and was better than Steve Smith from his very first game forward. His rookie year he averaged 20 ppg, 6.4 reb, 5.0 ast, 1.8 stl, and 0.9 blk. Steve Smith never approached these numbers in his totally fine but unspectacular career. Hill was an all-around monster with no weaknesses besides 3-point shooting while Steve Smith was a good 3-point shooter and decent scorer but not much else. They were nothing alike. Steve Smith made the All Star game once; Hill made it six straight years to start his career before injuries derailed him. Hill was on pace to be an all time great, while Steve Smith is essentially JAG.

Every take you have on basketball is completely ridiculous. 

Edited by Goo Punch

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

oh good, more completely laughable and asinine takes from you. Grant Hill was a phenom when he entered the league, and was better than Steve Smith from his very first game forward. His rookie year he averaged 20 ppg, 6.4 reb, 5.0 ast, 1.8 stl, and 0.9 blk. Steve Smith never approached these numbers in his totally fine but unspectacular career. Hill was an all-around monster with no weaknesses besides 3-point shooting while Steve Smith was a good 3-point shooter and decent scorer but not much else. They were nothing alike. Steve Smith made the All Star game once; Hill made it six straight years to start his career before injuries derailed him. Hill was on pace to be an all time great, while Steve Smith is essentially JAG.

Every take you have on basketball is completely ridiculous. 

Um, I'm going to go with "It's because they look alike for $500, Alex"

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Llogg said:

They had a segment on inside the NBA or some shit where they talked about constantly being mistaken for one another. 

Interesting.   Guess I never really saw the resemblance.   I mean they are both 6'8 and about the same complexion.    Guess that's all it takes. 

Edited by d2o

38 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

But they don't look anything alike?? 

#derka'd

they don't look alike, they get mistaken for one another because they sit right next to each other on TV. like d2o just said, besides having similar height and skin color they simply don't look alike. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

Jahlil Okafor to the Pelicans. Will be interesting to see if he ever resembles the promise of his rookie year or just becomes a bust. Has a reasonable chance to be an impact player on a second unit for NO. Their success hinges on being able to keep up with teams when A. Davis is not on the floor.

51 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

they don't look alike, they get mistaken for one another because they sit right next to each other on TV. like d2o just said, besides having similar height and skin color they simply don't look alike. 

Well that's your opinion, man. Why argue with anyone who has a different opinion? That's why you get so much hate on this board board, Derka. I guess you will never get it. 

Oh and thanks for the neg

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

wonder if they'll go with lakers and warriors on opening night since they're doing it on christmas.  if not, i'm guessing houston or okc gets that opening night @ warriors slot. 

Last I heard, Oklahoma City is supposed to be the opening opponent of Golden State...

League did a great job of holding that secret down..... lol.  Frankly, having the Knicks on is embarrassing.  I don't give a shit where they are, they suck, they have sucked and they will suck.  Get over it NBA.  Bucks/Raptors would have been better or even Bucks/Pacers.
Yeah I don't get this. Raptors just got Kawhi. One of the top teams in the East. How are they not on Xmas day? Bucks I get. But why the fucking Knicks? Aside from being the NY market, they are irrelevant and have been for a long time. Raptors would have been perfect in that spot. Hell Raptors v Spurs would have good, too.