2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

No odds on Westbrook?

If the Lakers win more than 50 games it will be difficult not to vote for LeBron. He's the best player in the league and there will be empirical evidence of just how valuable he is on a win/loss basis. Not to mention that there have been many years when he was the best player in the league and didn't win, which probably shouldn't matter but will make it much easier to vote for him if there is another qualified candidate. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

No odds on Westbrook?

If the Lakers win more than 50 games it will be difficult not to vote for LeBron. He's the best player in the league and there will be empirical evidence of just how valuable he is on a win/loss basis. Not to mention that there have been many years when he was the best player in the league and didn't win, which probably shouldn't matter but will make it much easier to vote for him if there is another qualified candidate. 

45 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I'd put money on lebron.   I think the combination of him getting older, maybe these being his last prime years.  Plus the Los Angeles factor.  If he plays big in these big national games against the top western teams, then it's a lock.  

Probably Anthony Davis the following year.

Yeah, I'd take LeBron if I was a betting man. He wants that 5th MVP to join MJ. He wanted it last year (hence him playing 82 games minus the month that he took off mid-season to pout until management traded the midget and co.)--repeatedly reminding the media of his value--but Houston (and Harden himself) was too damn good not to give it to Harden. 

I don't see any 65+ win superteams in the regular season, Giannis will be hard pressed to get Milwaukee into the Top 3 in the East, triple-doubles finally feel hollow, KD and Steph cancel each other out, does anyone really expect Kawhi to play 75 games, etc.. AD will have to light the world on fire and get NO a home playoff series...entirely possible, but a tough task.

LeBron knows that they're not winning a title this year, so the MVP is a realistic goal. 50+ wins with daily updates on how amazing he's making his motley crew look will probably be enough.

"it's disgusting." 

okay.gif

child molesters are disgusting; players joining winning teams is SOP and always has been. this new obsession over villainizing players who want to win a ring is beyond lame, and it's such a bandwagon event, everyone just can't wait to hop on. first off, blame the league for having it to where only a couple of franchises even have a shot at winning to begin with; there are no 2015 kc royals in the NBA, it's nothing like hockey where an 8 seed can conceivably go to the finals in any given year, nor is it like the nfl which turns itself over every single year; there's like three good teams every year and if you want to win you join/form one of them.

second, blame yourself, or if you're under 30 blame your dad for shitting on guys like Barkley, Iverson, and Malone for never winning a ring. 

third, blame west took for being a spastic malcontent who can't play with others. he's the greatest player to ever play who couldn't coexist with kevin durant. pretty impressive. if he simply accepts his role then the entire OKC dynamic changes and they probably win one, as opposed to he and KD fighting over the ball in the 4Q of playoff games. 

third, quit acting like his is anything new. te halcyon golden age if the 90's was no different- a handful of premier teams dominated every year, and all of the big FA's went to LA or joined the Bulls or Spurs or both (Rodman). And this want new in the 90's either. we just have social media now as well as a country full of vic mackey's who live for this kind of stupid dramatic shit and love to make a huge deal of things that aren't huge deals. 

the nba is boring and predictable enough as it is; the soap opera tone around everything just makes it that much more off-putting. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

that's not really his point though.  he's talking about KD (who was 27 when he joined the warriors) and boogie (who is 28) much more so than david west.

Even so, I seem to remember KD holding that same opinion 8 years ago.

I want to hear CJ's opinion when he's ringless 9 years in (which he will be if he stays in Portland), Dame's getting a little too big for his britches, and the Warriors are pursuing him to replace Klay (or whomever) next to Steph at max money.

Maybe he wouldn't join Golden State, but the thought that he wouldn't take a meeting and seriously consider it is flat out laughable.

Boogie is an entirely different animal. Dude would much rather be playing for $20M this year literally anywhere else. Not his fault the market dried up (well, it is his fault that he didn't take NO's original offer), and only a few teams even had their MLE, much less would "waste" it on a 3-4 rental of a guy who will probably be lucky to come back at 75%. Maybe if Portland was practically guaranteed to play into June, Boogie would have considered playing for them. But he wasn't about to go to a fringe playoff team, and risk his season being over in April with only a couple of months for his 2019 FA suitors to assess his health.

I like CJ, but he should probably ease up going after more accomplished vets.

The worm's turned on social media and CJ's now is getting criticized for being salty.... It's probably warranted because he comes off as whiney and the biggest point is no one gives a shit what CJ McCollum does or really says.  He's not changing the power structure of the league with any decision he makes.  He's a nice, inefficient scorer.  Be a nice complimentary piece on a contender but he's not a difference maker.  Probably a 4th guy on a championship team right now.... maybe 3rd (with prime Lebron) although he doesn't play much defense and is inefficient.

And this is really the point..... This lady gets it.  

Yea, you're not built like those guys because you're not nearly as good..... You're Jamal Crawford light.  STFU and get in the gym.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

32 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

he averaged 25 ppg on 52% shooting (42% from 3) in the new orleans series so it's not like he was a no show.

Yeah, CJ has at least been relatively solid in the postseason (aside from making up half of one of the worst defensive backcourts in NBA history). Dame, aside from his first playoffs when he hit that shot to beat Houston, has ranged from inefficient chucker to flat out bad.

Hard to see that duo lasting beyond this season. One may even become available if they're chasing the 8 seed come the deadline.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:52 PM, Dutchrudder said:

They do track this stuff, it's not based on gut feelings. The Knicks were terrible last year, and were able to be #7 in total ratings per nationally televised game. Toronto had their best season EVAR!!! and got 16th. Now maybe the difference is time slots and holidays or whatever, but regardless the Knicks still did really well given how bad they were overall.  Lebron+Lakers this year is gonna be crazy ratings this year. 

Here's the breakdown on average viewers per game:

topnbateams.png

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/nba-ratings-warriors-cavs-local-national/

The Knicks had those numbers because they showed them playing good teams. The NFL has figured this out but the NBA still hasn't, market size no longer matters sports are global and everyone has TV. Put on a good product and people will watch, a shit product and no matter the market they won't. And if you continue to highlight a shit product it will drag down the good ones

Oh TWolves.... never change.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/steph-curry-unveils-story-behind-164624560.html

"My guy David Kahn. I don't know where he's at right now," Curry said on The Bill Simmons Podcast. "I don't know if that ever came out -- there's a story. Everybody knows how much I love golf -- play it in my spare time and what not.

"I think the word on the street was that he didn't draft me because in Minnesota it's cold and I wouldn't be able to play as much golf so I would have been miserable."

A shocked Simmons asked Curry: "Is that true?"

"I hope it's true because that's hilarious (laughter)," Curry said. "That's hilarious."

To which Simmons responded: "It was idiotic in the moment. I did a draft diary. I was going nuts. Because if you're gonna take two point guards, how are you not one of the two? And then if you're gonna go all-in on Rubio and you don't even know if he's gonna come over..."

15 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Let's see what he says when he's 34 and about to get retired.

Haha... As is the way the west is stacked, players might start looking to sign in the east to have a shot at a ring, at least to get a Finals ring...

29 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Also funny that the Twitter is “ball don’t stop” and they are referring to one of the great ball stoppers of all time as a legend.

I hope CP3 & Harden can talk Melo into passing the ball more often, as it would open the offense for D'antoni to run set plays...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I think Abe Vigoda could coach this iteration of the Warriors to a championship, but that's not a knock on Steve who is a hell of a coach and is seriously underrated. 

That's only because the right system has been installed. Kerr built that system around his players, and it didn't happy all of a sudden, it did take time. He's basically figured out how best to use this roster, and I think a lot of bad coaches could come in and win a ring with it. At this point, if someone took over for Kerr, it would be akin to Barry Switzer taking over the Cowboys in 95. 

• Like 1