2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Heres my .02

Jimmys off the books next yr for like 20 million.. havin that tied up in tyler johnson or whiteside doesnt sound ideal to me.

Let him sit. I hate this players ran league BS. If he wants to sign with miami...let him next year.

I dont want 4 yrs of hassan whitesides broken ass at 22 million a yr

Doubt Whiteside is part of the deal..... And I get the sentiment and am empathetic, but you have to try and do your best to get as much value as you can.  Will it be equitable or FMV?  No, but have to do your best.  The biggest issue is you have a house in disarray.  Thibs has one motivation and the owner has another..... Someone needs to take control of the situation and get the entire organization in line.

Doubt Whiteside is part of the deal..... And I get the sentiment and am empathetic, but you have to try and do your best to get as much value as you can.  Will it be equitable or FMV?  No, but have to do your best.  The biggest issue is you have a house in disarray.  Thibs has one motivation and the owner has another..... Someone needs to take control of the situation and get the entire organization in line.
Sometimes nothing is better than something...dont you think?

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Sometimes nothing is better than something...dont you think?

Rarely.  It depends on what the something is.  Look, I've been critical of the way the Spurs went about their trade of Kawhi and their overall package of what they received in return.  In the end, their situation of having a HOF coach coming to the end probably influenced their decision making too much as I'm of the opinion he didn't want to go through a rebuild.  They still got back an AS caliber player in his prime.  However, I would have preferred to have gone about getting younger, cheaper assets and trying to get out of a bad contract which would have freed up flexibility for them going forward.  Ironically if they would have gone in my preferred direction, there would be a strong possibility they would be looking at acquiring Butler now. 

All of that said, the Wolves aren't in the same situation.  You have a coach who is overpaid with too much power who probably won't be with organization at this time next year.  You can craft a deal to get you a future asset and dump a bad contract if they work hard enough.  You're in a worse situation than if this happened 3 months ago, but there is still some leverage you have.  Even if it's a cheap rotational player, a future (protected) #1, and salary relief would be better than nothing IMO..... I think that's probably possible if they lower their demands.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:55 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Heres my .02

Jimmys off the books next yr for like 20 million.. havin that tied up in tyler johnson or whiteside doesnt sound ideal to me.

Let him sit. I hate this players ran league BS. If he wants to sign with miami...let him next year.

I dont want 4 yrs of hassan whitesides broken ass at 22 million a yr

Butler would probably be a better GM than whatever fuckup Minnesota has.

Also technically its nothing for Zach LaVine, Kris Dunn and the No. 7 overall pick is better than something

Edited by Michael Knight

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

If the Wolves get anything more than a 2023 2nd round pick, that's probably about as good as they can hope for at this point, given how badly the relationship between Butler & the Wolves has deteriorated, the wear & tear on Butler's body at age 29 (thanks thibs!), and his pending free agency.

Well, a little more.... The issue is TWolves are demanding Dieng gets taken off their books, somehow.  Obviously 3rd team would be needed.  Nothing is imminent but deadlines make deals and closer they get to the regular season, the more both sides may be energized to make a deal.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24887162/miami-heat-pushing-minnesota-timberwolves-accept-revised-butler-deal

Minnesota's preferences in a Miami deal have included center Bam Adebayo, guard Josh Richardson and a protected 2019 first-round pick, league sources said. A trade could take on a larger construction to include more players, league sources said.

In any Butler deal, Minnesota has wanted to unload center Gorgui Dieng and the $48 million left on his contract.

11 hours ago, Message Board User said:

If the Wolves get anything more than a 2023 2nd round pick, that's probably about as good as they can hope for at this point, given how badly the relationship between Butler & the Wolves has deteriorated, the wear & tear on Butler's body at age 29 (thanks thibs!), and his pending free agency.

If I'm an NBA agent, I don't want any of my players under Thibs.  

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Well, a little more.... The issue is TWolves are demanding Dieng gets taken off their books, somehow.  Obviously 3rd team would be needed.  Nothing is imminent but deadlines make deals and closer they get to the regular season, the more both sides may be energized to make a deal.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24887162/miami-heat-pushing-minnesota-timberwolves-accept-revised-butler-deal

Well at least Minnesota is kind of zeroing in on what I think they should be asking for in a prior post -- Bam and Richardson and trying to get rid of Dieng's contract.  I would take out my prior post on Whiteside because I mistakenly thought his contract was a team option the following year but it's in fact a player option for 2019-2020 which makes his value go from valuable to almost useless.  Maybe a third team is needed to pull it off, but I still think Minnesota should get rid of Dieng and Butler and try to get Richardson and Bam on some level.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I remember just last year I think it was KAT that led this poll.  How much things can change in a year.  Giannis and Davis are two really good choices -- I wouldn't take Durant personally given his age but not a bad third option at all.

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

...1508bc2a26586ec803429dcee2ac458b.jpg

Man, I was basically called a chicken little Warriors' fan for saying that the chances of Golden State winning the title this year are only 90%.  Consistent winning is hard.  As their roster stands right now--with Patrick McCaw (a JAG himself) not accepting Golden State's contract offers--they're one very likely Andre Iguodala injury away from having their "Death Lineup" feature Jacob Evans, a rookie who comprises 100% of their wing depth after Iggy.

22 minutes ago, Chapo said:

MIN now wants Butler to report back to the team 😅.  I want to see KAT's face when he sees Jimmy back in the locker room.

Good.  Like I said earlier, I have no problem with players asking to be traded (preferably minus the public declaration of desired destinations), but you better be willing to get your ass to camp if they say no or take longer than you'd like.

What's the monetary loss for Butler if he stays away?  Is it like the NFL where only real game checks actually count?  The next CBA needs to address guys not reporting, and ding their wallets accordingly.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Man, I was basically called a chicken little Warriors' fan for saying that the chances of Golden State winning the title this year are only 90%.  Consistent winning is hard.  As their roster stands right now--with Patrick McCaw (a JAG himself) not accepting Golden State's contract offers--they're one very likely Andre Iguodala injury away from having their "Death Lineup" feature Jacob Evans, a rookie who comprises 100% of their wing depth after Iggy.

Yeah.... we all feel bad for the Warriors and their lack of depth. Poor things might have to play a more traditional lineup with a scrub like Demarcus Cousins manning the post.

Consistent winning is hard. Consistent winning when you have 5 of the best 20ish basketball players in the world on your team, not so much.

This is the same story for the league as it's been ever since Durant moved west - unless they are injured, nobody is beating the Warriors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

They have no real bench right now, at least on the perimeter, however, you know as I do, that they'll be a couple of vets cut mid-season who will play 35 games + playoffs for the league minimum and a shot at a ring.  Shit, Jamal Crawford is still out there, right?

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lol @aggie trying to dumb down the warriors chances due to iggys hip

God damn, you all are some illiterate fucks. Yes, I'm "dumbing down" the Warriors chances to 90 measly percent because lack of depth. Shit, there's more than a 10% chance that Steph or KD's annual lower body injury happens in May instead of January.

I get it, they're the absurdly overwhelming favorites, they should win, and if they don't, they deserve to be mocked. Yet, Iggy's knee almost cost them the WCF last season, having to rely on Nick Young for extended minutes. This season, they have a rookie in that role. And if Jamal Crawford is the answer, then that's a shitty question. It'll probably all work out, but nothing's guaranteed in sports.

59 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They have no real bench right now, at least on the perimeter, however, you know as I do, that they'll be a couple of vets cut mid-season who will play 35 games + playoffs for the league minimum and a shot at a ring.  Shit, Jamal Crawford is still out there, right?

That was really my biggest basketball issue with the Cousins' signing: using up their MLE--the only inviting contract they have to offer--either now or at deadline.

Last year, their one "weakness" was too many guys who could only play center for them (6 to be exact) but couldn't really guard the PnR, and zero wing depth. Now they only have 5 centers and even fewer wings (still two roster spots to fill, but Jamal Crawford does nothing for me if he can't shoot a better percentage than his age). 

If Cousins recovers smoothly, it won't matter; he's a transcendent enough talent to make it work. If he looks like a rusty 300 lbs. dude recovering from one of the worst injuries in sports and trying to fit into a fast, complex offense, it might matter.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

unless they are injured, nobody is beating the Warriors.

Injuries. You mean the thing that has dramatically impacted every single postseason that I can remember? The thing that already cost the Warriors one championship because of lack of depth and questionable roster choices, and almost cost them another? The black cloud permanently hovered over Steph's head?

Yeah, I'm leaving 10% for the unknown and a, thus far, weird, shallow roster. And I'm totally telling you to "feel sorry" for them because their chance of winning falls somewhere below 99.9%.

I expect it from Vic, but you too? Depth matters in a long season; all-star starting lineup or not.

Edited by aggie08

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Depth is not going to be much of a problem.

If everyone--including Iggy in May--stays mostly healthy and they get an 85% Cousins, then I wholeheartedly agree.

Almost any other scenario, I don't. Like Bateman said though, they'll just try to pick up whatever they're lacking at the deadline...but having some or all of the MLE to offer would have been nice.

I obviously still think they'll be standing on top at the end, but there's some really good teams--namely Boston and Houston--who are probably only an untimely ankle tweak away.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I expect it from Vic, but you too? Depth matters in a long season; all-star starting lineup or not.

All that matters is that they are healthy when the conference finals start and you damn well know Kerr will gladly sacrifice minutes and regular season wins to keep his guys from wear and tear. And the bench isn't really that bad. Assuming Cousins starts at some point later in the season, Livingston, Iguodala, and Bell are more than solid for a core. Ulis can play a little, too. Looney, Jerebko and possibly Cook will eat up some minutes. Yes, they could use a third string wing because Iggy is old and injury prone but their biggest competition in the west (Houston) and the east (Boston) both have a much, much worse injury history. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

If Durant goes down I probably like Boston top to bottom better than the Warriors. If Curry is the one who goes down maybe the slight edge goes to Golden State.

I would say there is a better than 10% chance one of them gets hurt. At their age there is a non-zero chance that BOTH get hurt.

Most of GS key players will be WORSE this year just due to age and boredom. Most of Boston's players will be BETTER this year, plus they add two all-stars to a team that made the ECF last year. The top teams are closer than most people think.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Injuries. You mean the thing that has dramatically impacted every single postseason that I can remember? The thing that already cost the Warriors one championship because of lack of depth and questionable roster choices, and almost cost them another? The black cloud permanently hovered over Steph's head?

Yeah, I'm leaving 10% for the unknown and a, thus far, weird, shallow roster. And I'm totally telling you to "feel sorry" for them because their chance of winning falls somewhere below 99.9%.

It wasn't injuries that cost them that championship, it was Draymond Green's suspension

6 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

It wasn't injuries that cost them that championship, it was Draymond Green's suspension

And Iguodala's injury almost cost them a 2nd...... Last year was not a runaway in the WCF.  People sort of forget that..... The Finals sucked but that's because the East was a joke.

About that East..... Knicks fans are crestfallen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Last year was not a runaway in the WCF.  People sort of forget that

which is amazing given that it went 7 games and at one point in the series they were down 3-2, but i guess that just speaks to the intelligence level of your average sports fan (ie. your vic mackey's of the world).

And Iguodala's injury almost cost them a 2nd...... Last year was not a runaway in the WCF.  People sort of forget that..... The Finals sucked but that's because the East was a joke.
About that East..... Knicks fans are crestfallen.

Yes it was. It went 7 games but if you watched the series, you knew who the better team was. By far. Game 6 and 7, gsw spotted Houston huge leads and each game, ran them off the court to where it was embarrassing for Houston.

It was the equivalent of the Pacers taking Miami to 7 games in 2013. There was never a doubt who the better team was.

Dallas took the championship Spurs team to 7 in 2014. Would you say they were close to them? Hell no.

Rockets are still not close to beating GSW. GSW can flip a switch and blow any team off the court. No one else has that switch.

Are we arguing that the Rockets took GSW to 7 or that the Rockets almost knocked them off? Because the former is correct. The other statement is not. Rockets were never close to winning game 6 or 7. GSW down 3-2 and still were even odds to win the Finals.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yes it was. It went 7 games but if you watched the series, you knew who the better team was. By far. Game 6 and 7, gsw spotted Houston huge leads and each game, ran them off the court to where it was embarrassing for Houston.

It was the equivalent of the Pacers taking Miami to 7 games in 2013. There was never a doubt who the better team was.

Dallas took the championship Spurs team to 7 in 2014. Would you say they were close to them? Hell no.

Rockets are still not close to beating GSW. GSW can flip a switch and blow any team off the court. No one else has that switch.

Are we arguing that the Rockets took GSW to 7 or that the Rockets almost knocked them off? Because the former is correct. The other statement is not. Rockets were never close to winning game 6 or 7. GSW down 3-2 and still were even odds to win the Finals.

Except for that whole Chris Paul injury thing. Who even without were able to take leads and push GS. He was a huge reason for their series lead. Rockets win if he plays. As those who watched Houston build a three one lead could clearly see.