Political Talk Radio

sheeeit

I was recently on a very looooong multi day road trip and listened to a lot of talk radio and a lot of political talk radio.  I really never listened very much previously so I have no idea what these shows were like in the past or anything like that.  I just based my opinion on the few hours or so over a few days that I listened to a lot of it.

1) Rush- Well he's dead and it appears his show is now guest hosts that are ultra conservative and they constantly play old clips of Rush.  Hardly listenable. D

2) Hannity- Not very smart.  Relentless repeating.  I actually found some of his guests interesting but he is basically unlistenable. D

3) Shapiro- I actually enjoyed a lot of his show.  He is certainly smart.  My guess is that he is often mis-quoted or mis-understood because nothing he said was too controversial but you have to listen carefully to what he actually says.  I'd give him a B.

3) Glenn Beck- Hardly listenable.  I think he must be bipolar or something.  Not nearly as funny/witty as he thinks.  Did have a few guests that were interesting. C-

4) Mark Levin- Brutally bad.  I honestly think guys like Glenn Beck are at least genuine in their beliefs but I can not believe this guy actually believes what he says.  F

5) NPR- Pretty good mostly.  They seem to slant liberal but not too much from what I heard.  Hosts are smart and content pretty interesting.  B

6) Al Sharpton- Had no idea he had a show and now I know why.  He is not very smart or very good at radio.  Unlistenable.  D

7) Joe Pags- Another I had never heard of.  OK guests but he thinks he is very funny/witty and he is not.  C-

😎 POTUS- Decent.  I liked Dan Abrams and Julie Mason.  Chris Cuomo is unlistenable.  B-

9) Urban View- Pretty much unlistenable.  Not very smart.  Wildly hypocritical.  Someone named Joe Madison seemed to be on when we were driving a lot.  He was shockingly hypocritical and bad.  D

10) Progress-  It actually had potential but just kept coming back to stupid, tired retread gotchas. C-

I am sure there are many I missed.  I have decided that political talk radio is designed for stupid/idealogues on both sides of the aisle.  I am truly surprised they make any money.  Very, very few of them are smart.  Edit- I suppose they make money because it seems like 20 minutes out of every hour is commercials.  

I do a half-politics, half-comedy podcast when I'm half-drunk and half-libertarian, with a Mormon conservative co-host.  You should check it out.  

Edited by Lobo

On 4/21/2021 at 7:48 PM, washparkhorn said:

Podcasts>talk radio

On 4/21/2021 at 7:52 PM, Captainant said:

Ben "gamer gate" shapiro is not in the same solar system as NPR, considering that NPR is an actual journalistic entity and doesn't believe in "alternate facts"

Podcasts are pretty much the new radio though

These.  Also, political "talk radio" is invariably complete fucking garbage.  If I want deep-dive news stuff on long road trips, and I'm listening to satellite radio, I listen to 1) NPR or 2) the BBC world news (you get great stories about places and events that don't even get mentioned in US news sources).

If I find myself overtly 1) agreeing or 2) disagreeing with a "news" or "political" radio source....I'm listening to shit.  I much prefer listening to something that makes me realize "huh, I didn't know that particular fact/set of facts."

But most of America thinks that the talking head punditry that dominates cable TV is "news," so clearly I'm way in the fucking minority.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Michael Savage used to occasionally veer into something interesting simply because he had actually gone places and done things earlier in life.

None of those guys are an Art Bell though.

"West of the Rockies, you're on the air."  He was some good shit.  So, I like actual news.....and people who are just weird as shit and entertaining.  I still remember listening to some caller who spent a good 20 minutes explaining to Art the ins and outs of the galactic university system, and how hopefully admissions would be opening up to earthlings soon.  It was elaborate as shit.  And got me thinking that maybe I needed to go back to school at the University of Alpha Centauri or some shit to get my Master's.....

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"West of the Rockies, you're on the air."  He was some good shit.  So, I like actual news.....and people who are just weird as shit and entertaining.  I still remember listening to some caller who spent a good 20 minutes explaining to Art the ins and outs of the galactic university system, and how hopefully admissions would be opening up to earthlings soon.  It was elaborate as shit.  And got me thinking that maybe I needed to go back to school at the University of Alpha Centauri or some shit to get my Master's.....

Martian bitches are easy, but they kill you after they orgasm. I've already fucked like, 9 of them! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

NPR doesn’t seem to be as unbiased as it was 5+ years ago.  Still not close to anything else on that list. But it tilts further than it previously did.  Which is barely.  

I'm going to suggest that with the political right ingesting a giant bottle of batshittery......anything that's anywhere left of that batshittery is inevitably going to come across as somewhat at odds with the batshittery.  Because it's batshittery.  I mean, it's "anti" the current mainstream right wing political party to observe things like " there's not a secret political cabal that drinks baby blood," and "on January 6th, a mob made up almost entirely of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol, attacked Capitol police, and many had the stated goal of capturing members of Congress to ensure that the results of the election were not certified."  That's definitely at odds with the mainstream right....and both positions are also plainly true.  It's not "bias" to report "holy fuck, a bunch of Trump people have attacked the Capitol, and many are yelling about shutting down the certification process."  But.....that's how it's couched.  Reporting the truth is now evidence of bias.  It's fucking nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No I see what you are saying. I still think it falls ever so slightly left of Reuters and B.B.C.     I remember when I thought there was 0 political slant to NPR.   None of that is to say it’s not a good news network, even for a conservative leaning person. I just think it’s a twinge to the left now. It’s a far sight better for news than anything purposely tilted in either direction.  Personally I would pay for news that is read in a monotone voice with only facts, and this is just as important, as many facts, that’s available at the time.  

Edited by fattyflattie

Around here the NPR programming repeats after mid-day, which might be OK if you've barely been listening, but is annoying if you got it all the first time.

Besides, sometimes they have some prissy-ass show that reminds me of being trapped in the faculty lounge with a bunch of literature professors who brag about how bad they are at math (and by math they mean arithmetic.)

Haven't heard anybody mention sports programs. They have a show here called Three Man Front, maybe it's national, no idea. Anyway, it's like hanging out with a bunch of dudes who drive giant shiny trucks that have never been used for work. Finebaum can be a good show when it's just Finebaum talking, but the moment the callers start, it's like being trapped inside a giant shiny truck talking sports with a bunch of dudes on their way to storm the capitol.

Sometimes I'll just flip to a random station and leave it there for a day. Like a cowboyyyyyyyy, on a steel horse I riiiiiiide....