Shadow and Bone - Netflix's Next Big Fantasy Series (Drops April 23)

atomheartbevo

Spoiler

Based on Leigh Bardugo's worldwide bestselling Grishaverse novels, Shadow and Bone finds us in a war-torn world where lowly soldier and orphan Alina Starkov has just unleashed an extraordinary power that could be the key to setting her country free. With the monstrous threat of the Shadow Fold looming, Alina is torn from everything she knows to train as part of an elite army of magical soldiers known as Grisha. But as she struggles to hone her power, she finds that allies and enemies can be one and the same and that nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. There are dangerous forces at play, including a crew of charismatic criminals, and it will take more than magic to survive.

First 10 minutes - start at 45 minutes in.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Only one episode in, and I kind of didn't have too high of an expectation, yeah, Netflix, big-budget, etc., but better than I expected.  Will keep watching.

Sex and violence, or for younger people who don't get off on that stuff?

The first 2/3rds of the first episode is a mess trying to set the characters up, but it gets rolling once the boat goes in the fold.  On ep 3 and enjoying it.  There is something here.  

Edited to add - I don’t fully understand why a bunch of “grisha” are on one side at the beginning but trying to get through to where leadership is on the other.   I guess we will get there. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

20 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

The first 2/3rds of the first episode is a mess trying to set the characters up, but it gets rolling once the boat goes in the fold.  On ep 3 and enjoying it.  There is something here.  
Edited to add - I don’t fully understand why a bunch of “grisha” are on one side at the beginning but trying to get through to where leadership is on the other.   I guess we will get there. 

I finally broke down and hit up a few YouTube videos for somewhat spoiler-free discussions on the trilogy and duology of books that it's based on (first season mainly based on the first book of the trilogy), and the showrunners A) Improved several characters and B) Are playing around with bringing in characters/storylines from the duology to really do some solid world- and character-building.

Definitely something there, and want to see the rest of the books made into seasons.  Not interested in reading said books though.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Finished today. I liked it. Great world building and sets and costumes. 

My biggest complaint is that at times it looks like a "Netflix show".  Same with Witcher.

I don't know how to explain it, but I know you've followed the Marvel shows on Disney+, and those shows feel more....cinematic somehow, than the Netflix shows.  I don't know if it's lighting or camera work, or what.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My biggest complaint is that at times it looks like a "Netflix show".  Same with Witcher.

I don't know how to explain it, but I know you've followed the Marvel shows on Disney+, and those shows feel more....cinematic somehow, than the Netflix shows.  I don't know if it's lighting or camera work, or what.

It was dark (like, literally). I’ve gotten used to that from Netflix shows. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...