Iowa State Doing Typical ISU Week 1 Things

MuellerHorn

21 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

-Kid (Carson King) has Gameday sign about Venmoing him Busch Light $.  By end of broadcast he's received like $100K.  Tweets that he's going to donate it all to U of I children's hospital (dude was an ISU fan, BTW).  Ends up raising $3,000,000.  Anheuser-Busch announces they'll match the donation.  Two days after game, DSM Register runs a hit piece on the kid for retweeting a racist joke in 2013.  Anheuser-Busch says they're cutting ties with him.  Social media uproar ensues in the wake of this (pretty much everyone sides with the kid - even the left).  Kid ends up donating like $5,000,000 to U of I kid's hospital.  AB still hasn't committed a dime.

Jesus that’s sad. $5mm and AB just pussies out. Another reason to drink Coors.

13 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Jesus that’s sad. $5mm and AB just pussies out. Another reason to drink Coors.

They have a pattern of being bitches about this kind of thing.

They never cared that he sent a dumb tweet when he was 17.  They just saw it as a way to get out of paying a children's hospital a bunch of money.

Just now, Jasper_Jester said:

The recency bias is strong in this post. Congrats on washing away all the 2 and 3 win seasons. I respect your fan base, but it would take me longer than 4 good seasons to to make that claim if I was a Cyclone fan. 

Next year I wouldn't have that kind of confidence.  We return all but 1 starter from a team that went 8-1 in the league last year.

I don't care who you are or what your history is, any sane person would assume said team will likely go better than 5-4.  The only reason you'd argue otherwise is because college football is a sport ruled by perception from the past.   I mean, your point here is because we sucked for years with different coaches and different players, we shouldn't make a reasonable prediction based on the current roster, staff, and schedule.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Next year I wouldn't have that kind of confidence.  We return all but 1 starter from a team that went 8-1 in the league last year.

I don't care who you are or what your history is, any sane person would assume said team will likely go better than 5-4.  The only reason you'd argue otherwise is because college football is a sport ruled by perception from the past.   I mean, your point here is because we sucked for years with different coaches and different players, we shouldn't make a reasonable prediction based on the current roster, staff, and schedule.

There are more logical reasons for doubting Iowa State this year. The Cyclones went 4-1 in one score regular season games in a weird COVID-affected season. Certainly a good squad should be expected but Campbell's tendency to be in close battles against weaker teams didn't exactly go away last year. Louisiana, TCU, Baylor, etc. In general those games went ISU's way last year, but it's completely possible they go 1-4 instead of 4-1 in those games this year.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

There are more logical reasons for doubting Iowa State this year. The Cyclones went 4-1 in one score regular season games in a weird COVID-affected season. Certainly a good squad should be expected but Campbell's tendency to be in close battles against weaker teams didn't exactly go away last year. Louisiana, TCU, Baylor, etc. In general those games went ISU's way last year, but it's completely possible they go 1-4 instead of 4-1 in those games this year.

Sure didn't.  We'll find out soon where his tendency to play good against good teams is at, and if it has defeated his tendency to lose to Iowa.

He's had 5 seasons at ISU.  He's had a winning Big 12 record in 4 of those.  He returns more than he ever will.  Expecting Iowa State to have a winning conference record is more logical than expecting him to fail.  He might fail, but that would be a pretty significant deviation from the mean.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ok, but you also stated that "we'll be in the driver's seat of the Big 12.  Sunrise, sunset." as if last season wasn't the first time y'all have ever made the big 12 champ game in your history.

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

Ok, but you also stated that "we'll be in the driver's seat of the Big 12.  Sunrise, sunset." as if last season wasn't the first time y'all have ever made the big 12 champ game in your history.

Numbers of wins only go up like stonks , once you make the game you're in it forever ! 

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

In '17, '18, and '20 we were in "win and you're in" the CCG scenarios in November.  IMO, "driver's seat" means you control your own destiny.  It doesn't mean you're the best team or the odds on favorite.

50 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In '17, '18, and '20 we were in "win and you're in" the CCG scenarios in November.  IMO, "driver's seat" means you control your own destiny.  It doesn't mean you're the best team or the odds on favorite.

ok, but by that definition, Texas also was in the driver's seat in 2017, 2018, and 2020. So, I guess the Big XII clown car has multiple drivers.

I assume we'll lose another close to game to Iowa and there will be wailing and gnashing of the teeth, and then it will be November and we'll be in the driver's seat of the Big 12.  Sunrise, sunset.
This is the year you absolutely must beat Iowa, otherwise you'll never get any preseason love again.

Al, that is being in control of your own destiny. The driver's seat saying is usually applied to the favorite (there's only one driver's seat). I got what you meant but that was the source of the confusion. 

And all I was saying was that because of close games, ISU could have very easily been 6-3 in the Big 12 with another 4 overall loss regular season last year and been the exact same team strength wise. And then they wouldn't have nearly the hype this season. The Cyclones are good but you're not really used to being overrated in the preseason which is what happened this year. 

A lot of returning starters off a team that won a bunch of close games is why Louisiana was supposed to scare Texas and why they were a trendy upset pick. We see what happened there. 

16 minutes ago, ousux said:

This is the year you absolutely must beat Iowa, otherwise you'll never get any preseason love again.

I really don't care about preseason love.  I'm over the moon with what ISU's doing.  Anything more is total gravy and completely unnecessary towards my fan engagement.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly.  "Most" means "more than half".

ISU's cumulative conference record for the past 4 years is 24-12.  We've beaten most of the Big 12 by any definition of "most".  I never said we were perennial power or winning the league, but in the last 4 years, at the start of November, ISU has been in control of their own destiny in terms of winning the league.

Yeah…whatever. 16-11 outside of last year. No different than Texas when you take away 2018 (15-11).

Semantics…

I assume we’ll lose another close game to TCU and there will be wailing and gnashing of the teeth, and then it will be November and we’ll be in the driver’s seat of the Big 12. Sunrise, sunset.

We’ve had a winning Big 12 record for 4 straight years. All these players have spent most of their time in Austin beating most of the Big 12.

Texas cumulative conference record for the past 4 years is 22-13. We’ve beaten most of the Big 12 by any definition of “most”. I never said we were perennial power or winning the league, but in the last 4 years, at the start of November, Texas has been in control of its own destiny in terms of winning the league.

…does this mean Texas is back?!

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Al, that is being in control of your own destiny. The driver's seat saying is usually applied to the favorite (there's only one driver's seat). I got what you meant but that was the source of the confusion. 

And all I was saying was that because of close games, ISU could have very easily been 6-3 in the Big 12 with another 4 overall loss regular season last year and been the exact same team strength wise. And then they wouldn't have nearly the hype this season. The Cyclones are good but you're not really used to being overrated in the preseason which is what happened this year. 

A lot of returning starters off a team that won a bunch of close games is why Louisiana was supposed to scare Texas and why they were a trendy upset pick. We see what happened there. 

I don't really disagree with any of this.  I also don't really like ISU being rated this high in the pre-season.  I understand why we're here and I think it makes sense, but I don't fully believe it, mostly because I knew we would struggle with UNI and will likely lose to Iowa.

I still think we're in as good of a spot as anyone to give OU a run in the league, but we're probably more of a Top 15ish team, and I think we could lose any remaining game save maybe Kansas and UNLV.

3 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Yeah…whatever. 16-11 outside of last year. No different than Texas when you take away 2018 (15-11).

Semantics…

I assume we’ll lose another close game to TCU and there will be wailing and gnashing of the teeth, and then it will be November and we’ll be in the driver’s seat of the Big 12. Sunrise, sunset.

We’ve had a winning Big 12 record for 4 straight years. All these players have spent most of their time in Austin beating most of the Big 12.

Texas cumulative conference record for the past 4 years is 22-13. We’ve beaten most of the Big 12 by any definition of “most”. I never said we were perennial power or winning the league, but in the last 4 years, at the start of November, Texas has been in control of its own destiny in terms of winning the league.

…does this mean Texas is back?!

The funny thing about Texas is that you've been pretty good by any measure but your own this whole time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

As opposed to trashing the SEC when aggy joined, but now all of a sudden it’s not so bad?  

What the hell are you talking about? What kind of greedy, selfish, corrupt, and evil conference must one be to invite OU to join? Fuck the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

As opposed to trashing the SEC when aggy joined, but now all of a sudden it’s not so bad?  
SEC is the same as it has been the past 5-6 years, extremely top heavy. Bama at the top with Jawja, Gata, Swamp tigah vying for second most years. Us and BlowU joining won't change that dynamic, just give us a shot at that second tier spot early on, then eventually dethroning Bama when they're wheeling out a mummified Saban.

32 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't really disagree with any of this.  I also don't really like ISU being rated this high in the pre-season.  I understand why we're here and I think it makes sense, but I don't fully believe it, mostly because I knew we would struggle with UNI and will likely lose to Iowa.

I still think we're in as good of a spot as anyone to give OU a run in the league, but we're probably more of a Top 15ish team, and I think we could lose any remaining game save maybe Kansas and UNLV.

If you lose to Kansas or UNLV I will take back everything nice I've ever said about Iowa State.