Iowa State Doing Typical ISU Week 1 Things

MuellerHorn

UNI is a very consistent FCS program that is regularly in the playoffs. They have beaten previous ISU teams under bad coaches like Chizik or Walden. They regularly stay very close to Iowa or other FBS teams like Wisconsin or BYU when they play them. Their season was in the fall so they felt more prepared for Week 1 than many other teams.

On 9/4/2021 at 4:23 PM, MuellerHorn said:

Down 7-3 to UNI in the second quarter.

@Al_4_ISU Not that Texas is playing extraordinarily well, but why does ISU always seem to start the season off so slowly?

I DON'T FUCKING KNOW.

But it's real.  UNI could have 11 dudes in wheelchairs and we'd fuck around and win in overtime.  And of course then go on to beat most of the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2021 at 4:50 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Iowa state could be preseason #1 and UNI could be coming off a 3-8 year and this game would still come down to the wire.

Iowa state sucks against FCS competition

Big time this.

We almost lost to Drake in 2018.  They're non-scholarship FCS.  We were 8-4 with wins over everyone in the Big 12 except OU, Texas, and TCU.

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I assume we'll lose another close to game to Iowa and there will be wailing and gnashing of the teeth, and then it will be November and we'll be in the driver's seat of the Big 12.  Sunrise, sunset.

I respect you. I respect Iowa St, but this year we skull fuck you in front of your mothers and all of her fish eating friends.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Not really- harvest is when I pay the most attention to college football. Got to have something to listen to on the radio. 

This.  Also, did you know that TuneIn is going full premium this year?  I switched over to the Varsity app from Learfield.  Looks legit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I assume we'll lose another close to game to Iowa and there will be wailing and gnashing of the teeth, and then it will be November and we'll be in the driver's seat of the Big 12.  Sunrise, sunset.

If Matt Campbell can’t beat Iowa you guys should make him go be the coach at Michigan.  That’ll show him.

27 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Wow.  A couple of good years and this Cyclone is really feeling his oats.

We've had a winning Big 12 record for 4 straight years.  It would be a massive disappointment to not do it this year with so many returning starters.

So I don't know how frame that as "really feeling his oats" but all of these players and coaches have spent most of their time in Ames beating most of the Big 12.

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We've had a winning Big 12 record for 4 straight years.  It would be a massive disappointment to not do it this year with so many returning starters.

So I don't know how frame that as "really feeling his oats" but all of these players and coaches have spent most of their time in Ames beating most of the Big 12.

So has Texas? I’m not sure that qualifies as beat most of the big 12 (outside of last year).

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You are getting skull fucked. So it is written and so it shall be.

On 9/4/2021 at 11:09 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Hopefully they beat Iowa next week but a win is a win.

Since '98 they've been competitive-ish with the pink locker rooms.  It has been 7 years since they have won (didn't play last year).  I guess they got lucky covid hit during a pink locker room year.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is cute, ISU makes *checks notes* their first big 12 championship game ever and now ISU fans believe they are perennially "in the driver's seat of the big 12".

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

17 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Beat most of big 12 recently sure, but any team’s fans other than Oklahoma claiming they are in the drivers seat of the conference is lying to themselves. (Vomits)

Well, when I say "driver's seat" I mean we'll be in a position where we control our destiny.  Of course the major caveat is that we have to beat OU in Arlington and possibly in Norman and all of that is super unlikely.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Well for starters, the Big 12 is a round robin, so by definition a winning record means you beat a majority of the conference.

Exactly.  "Most" means "more than half".

ISU's cumulative conference record for the past 4 years is 24-12.  We've beaten most of the Big 12 by any definition of "most".  I never said we were perennial power or winning the league, but in the last 4 years, at the start of November, ISU has been in control of their own destiny in terms of winning the league.

10 minutes ago, huge said:

I remember that.  Pretty sure they chronicled the Busch Light deal

Yeah, that game was a fucking shit show of epic proportions.

-Kid (Carson King) has Gameday sign about Venmoing him Busch Light $.  By end of broadcast he's received like $100K.  Tweets that he's going to donate it all to U of I children's hospital (dude was an ISU fan, BTW).  Ends up raising $3,000,000.  Anheuser-Busch announces they'll match the donation.  Two days after game, DSM Register runs a hit piece on the kid for retweeting a racist joke in 2013.  Anheuser-Busch says they're cutting ties with him.  Social media uproar ensues in the wake of this (pretty much everyone sides with the kid - even the left).  Kid ends up donating like $5,000,000 to U of I kid's hospital.  AB still hasn't committed a dime.

-Game features 2 separate rain delays, during one of which the student section storms the field and reenacts Woodstock.  Game ends in spectacular ISU failure 6 hours after kicking off.

-Iowa marching band gets lost trying to leave Jack Trice.  They make claims of sexual assault by ISU fans against U of I band.  Iowa AD grandstands about ending the series.  Full blown investigation is launched with zero specific allegations or charges ever filed.  Series is renewed.

• Hook 'Em 1