The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

I would love to buy the white dial Treiber for my husband but he would kill me. I prefer the pale blue/green dial for the aesthetic and the cool factor but again, that would be a no go. It's a shame as we could afford for him to have a nicer watch than his daily but he is the 'if it's not broke why fix it' type and I respect it. But, yeah, it's a beautiful watch and I'd love to spoil him with it. (actually compared to some of the other watches I like and would like to buy for him, the Treiber is not that expensive really).
Probably moot as I don't see it getting funded. He's a great watch designer but he needs a 3-4 month promotional tour on Instagram with a lot of top photographers/watch accounts to generate interest. He also needs to get it reviewed by some of the big watch blogs/websites.

Plus he needs to be realistic about how many watches he can sell at over $1k on Kickstarter. It isn't going to happen. Sucks because he's a nice guy and the watches are really cool. Just a bad plan.

There's another account on IG @talkingabouttime who is a buddy of mine here in Houston. He has some amazing shots of them from a few days ago.

11 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Probably moot as I don't see it getting funded. He's a great watch designer but he needs a 3-4 month promotional tour on Instagram with a lot of top photographers/watch accounts to generate interest. He also needs to get it reviewed by some of the big watch blogs/websites.

Plus he needs to be realistic about how many watches he can sell at over $1k on Kickstarter. It isn't going to happen. Sucks because he's a nice guy and the watches are really cool. Just a bad plan.

There's another account on IG @talkingabouttime who is a buddy of mine here in Houston. He has some amazing shots of them from a few days ago.

You're not kidding about the promo/marketing. I mean, Omega and other well known companies grab brand ambassadors (Andrew Garfield one of their celeb famous ones, while Ryan Gosling promotes Tag Heuer) because red carpet types or business 'influencers' (gawd I hate that word) photos are pored over by males and females alike and that is the larger audience of fandoms and general public but for a newer small company, getting on board with the insta/watch fans/etc to create some buzz seems like the most ideal and less costly way to do it.

I hope he's able to make a go of it.

Sooo, maybe I can spoil him anyway. I showed him the Monta Noble and he was intrigued. We have an anniversary approaching so I'm filing that little bit of info away to check out as a possibility. He seems to prefer the 'plain' watches and this was the one I marked:

image.thumb.png.bfdcada7aea9e6f031a59d043465baf8.png

It's got the second hand sweep (a must) and the date (preferred).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Sooo, maybe I can spoil him anyway. I showed him the Monta Noble and he was intrigued. We have an anniversary approaching so I'm filing that little bit of info away to check out as a possibility. He seems to prefer the 'plain' watches and this was the one I marked:

looks just like a datejust

image.thumb.png.f2ab0e23415751793335c35ea10268ad.png

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Just get the Datejust.

We're celebrating 35 years, I'd like to see 36 so I'm going for the one that won't make him mad. While I like the Rolex, I'm going with my gut on this one. He's a good kind man and while I think he deserves the Rolex, if I believe he would prefer the less pricey option, that's what I will honor. Because, reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We're celebrating 35 years, I'd like to see 36 so I'm going for the one that won't make him mad. While I like the Rolex, I'm going with my gut on this one. He's a good kind man and while I think he deserves the Rolex, if I believe he would prefer the less pricey option, that's what I will honor. Because, reasons.

Fwiw, Datejust is the most affordable one you can get. You can still spin it in that regard. But you don’t make it to 35 years without knowing what’s best. Congrats. 

The Datejust will hold its value very well.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, tokamak said:

Been out of this thread for a few years. What brands do y’all like in the $1k-$2k range these days?

If you like funky non-traditional design, these guys are cool, and they manufacturer their own cases dials and hands, so theyre not a mere design-and-marketing shop

https://www.defakto-watches.com/kollektion/

Then there's always Nomos.

I've got a Citizen coming in the mail 👹

• Hook 'Em 1

Been out of this thread for a few years. What brands do y’all like in the $1k-$2k range these days?
What type of watch are you looking for?

I love my Sphaera and the new release looks great too.

Straum makes a very good watch, although I like the Jan Mayen more than the release happening today.

Nomos if you're looking for a dressier option they have some in the upper part of that range, or pre-owned.

I really like the Maen Ultra thin is you like rectangular watches. But I don't have one so can't speak to the quality.

The Nodus/Raven Trail Trekker.

Colorado Watch Company is the sister company of Vortic (which make some really badass watches based on vintage pocket watches) and the watches look cool with a more industrial aesthetic.

Damasko is a very good option for a Sinn look at a more affordable price.

The Horage Multiply Small Seconds is slightly higher than that but really nice.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

What type of watch are you looking for?

I love my Sphaera and the new release looks great too.

Straum makes a very good watch, although I like the Jan Mayen more than the release happening today.

Nomos if you're looking for a dressier option they have some in the upper part of that range, or pre-owned.

I really like the Maen Ultra thin is you like rectangular watches. But I don't have one so can't speak to the quality.

The Nodus/Raven Trail Trekker.

Colorado Watch Company is the sister company of Vortic (which make some really badass watches based on vintage pocket watches) and the watches look cool with a more industrial aesthetic.

Damasko is a very good option for a Sinn look at a more affordable price.

I tend to go for a simpler, more classic look. My two current auto watches are an Aqua Terra and a Stowa Marine. I tend to be biased toward brands with a significant watchmaking history.

I've had my eye on an IWC Pilot lately, but also thinking about getting something less expensive now and then something else in a year or so. Hence the post.

Nomos is a great suggestion, I love their aesthetic. I also like that Horage in your 2nd post, but not as familiar with that brand. That probably gives you an idea of where my head is at.

You'll get the sweep from any mechanical watch. The ticking is quartz.

I don't really like homages for the most part, and the Monta is a little too Rolexy for me. I especially think Rolex knockoffs like that are simply a way of saying you want a Rolex but can't afford one. And it's basically trading on someone else's design without any real inspiration. But I'm also pretty biased against Rolex in general so take that with a few grains of salt.

Check out Traska, or as a step up, Formex is a great option. Direnzo makes great affordable watches, but might be a little too different for your husband. The DRZ03 and DRZ04 would be more in the typical style.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I've had my eye on an IWC Pilot lately, but also thinking about getting something less expensive now and then something else in a year or so. Hence the post.

Stowas Flieger (pilot) then. Comes in different sizes. And that brand was one of the original ones contracted by the Luftwaffe to make pilot watches, before IWC was involved. 

Stowa also makes the Bauhaus style watches like Nomos.

Stowas Flieger (pilot) then. Comes in different sizes. And that brand was one of the original ones contracted by the Luftwaffe to make pilot watches, before IWC was involved. 
Stowa also makes the Bauhaus style watches like Nomos.
And Stowa is an excellent suggestion.

Also Hamilton and Tissot and Seiko and all the other usual suspects.

Seiko is making some nice stuff now that bridges the gap between a 007 and a GS.

So you want a pilot watch or are you just snooping?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

Also Hamilton and Tissot and Seiko and all the other usual suspects.

Seiko is making some nice stuff now that bridges the gap between a 007 and a GS.

So you want a pilot watch or are you just snooping?

Doesn’t have to be a pilot. 

As for Stowa, I don’t want another one. Love my Marine but want to mix it up, brand-wise. 

7 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

You'll get the sweep from any mechanical watch. The ticking is quartz.

I don't really like homages for the most part, and the Monta is a little too Rolexy for me. I especially think Rolex knockoffs like that are simply a way of saying you want a Rolex but can't afford one. And it's basically trading on someone else's design without any real inspiration. But I'm also pretty biased against Rolex in general so take that with a few grains of salt.

Check out Traska, or as a step up, Formex is a great option. Direnzo makes great affordable watches, but might be a little too different for your husband. The DRZ03 and DRZ04 would be more in the typical style.

The Traska Venturer is a pretty watch. As far as Rolex knockoff, that didn't really enter the picture. He likely doesn't care in that respect because that's not really the way he thinks about things. The DRZ03 is also pretty. Thanks for the additional info.

23 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Have you considereded Rolex’s sister brand, Tudor? Tudor is today what Rolex was 35 years ago- tool and sports watches of superb quality and value. 
If you want something more elegant, you might consider is a Cartier Tank Must. 
one more choice would be Grand Seiko, which is understated in the extreme- very few people will notice, but he’ll be wearing a watch that’s among the best watches in the world. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Have you considereded Rolex’s sister brand, Tudor? Tudor is today what Rolex was 35 years ago- tool and sports watches of superb quality and value. 
If you want something more elegant, you might consider is a Cartier Tank Must. 
one more choice would be Grand Seiko, which is understated in the extreme- very few people will notice, but he’ll be wearing a watch that’s among the best watches in the world. 

Great post. 

I tend to go for a simpler, more classic look. My two current auto watches are an Aqua Terra and a Stowa Marine. I tend to be biased toward brands with a significant watchmaking history.
Nomos is a great suggestion, I love their aesthetic. I also like that Horage in your 2nd post, but not as familiar with that brand. That probably gives you an idea of where my head is at.
The AT is a great watch. I'm not into historical significance as much. I appreciate the history but it comes at the price of limiting creativity to maintain consistency with the historical catalog.

Of the major brands, IWC is my favorite. But if I have to go with something from one of the major luxury conglomerates it's Glashütte Original. Nothing in the sub-2k category though.

I really prefer small independent watch brands and watchmakers.

Horage is making a name for themselves. They designed the K1 and now K2 movements and they are regulated to COSC standards. But they are a relatively young brand. I do like the Multiple as it's clean but the grid on the dial keeps it interesting while still being relatively subtle.

I'm probably not the best person to recommend watches for what you're looking for as we are almost polar opposites on what we like. But to each his own.

Here are a couple clean, simpler looks.

Oligo Blue
Rashid Tsoroev

And because I'm a Texas fan, the orange Nicholas Hacko Mark II. The guilloché is incredible and everything is titanium which is incredibly difficult to work with.

2024_0502_15545100.jpg2024_0503_20020700.jpg2024_0417_20513300 (3).jpg2024_0417_20544700.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

With the Cellini, you lose the most important aspect of owning a Rolex, other people don't know you own a Rolex.

Unless you roll up on Phil Mickelson, he would likely admire it.  Imitation being sincere flattery and all.....

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 5:38 PM, brown water said:

Seeking input from the Surly steering committee.  Jumped on the waitlist for this gmt master 2 yesterday. Would pay retail. Wait time TBD but guess was ~2 years. To date, my affinity for staying off the beaten path has kept me away from Rolex. Now I am feeling no collection is complete without one. This is a new combination for 23 but seems immediately familiar.  

Mrs. Brownwater hates it…

IMG_3452.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg

Call came sooner than expected.  Picked up yesterday. 

IMG_4528.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1