The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

16 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I have entered the world of Grand Seiko.

welcome to the bright side.  im so tempted to add another one from their current lineup - birch, lake, or the season dials.  theyre doing amazing stuff now.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If we're being honest GS probably makes the best watches in the world.

It's nice, but I'm not ready to go that far.  They need to improve their bracelets, and especially the clasp.  No excuse for putting a clasp like the one I have on mine for a watch of this stature.  It's ridiculous.  They also need to improve their packaging.  I know it's just a box, etc. that gets put away in a storage room never to be looked at again, but the presentation needs to be commensurate with similar watches in their class.  Right now, it's not even close.  

14 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

It's nice, but I'm not ready to go that far.  They need to improve their bracelets, and especially the clasp.  No excuse for putting a clasp like the one I have on mine for a watch of this stature.  It's ridiculous.  They also need to improve their packaging.  I know it's just a box, etc. that gets put away in a storage room never to be looked at again, but the presentation needs to be commensurate with similar watches in their class.  Right now, it's not even close.  

agreed on all points, and for the record I don't love any of their designs. But, in my opinion they are overall the best handmade, spring powered time-keeping machines available.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

I had a snowflake but sold it to a buddy within a month or two of buying it.    The watch face was beautiful, the polishing of the case was perfect but I just didn't like the overall titanium weight.   Plus, as everyone has mentioned, the bracelet and clasp were not good.

On 7/12/2023 at 9:00 PM, Steel Shank said:

Wasn't getting any feedback on Affordable Watches, so I thought I'd try here.

I'm replacing the movement in my SKX007. The original 7S26-0020 hasn't kept decent time ever, even after multiple recalibrations. I've picked up a NH36 (and new stem) to go in. Any recs on a place that can do this for me? In Austin.

https://www.atxwatches.com

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I took it by there last week, but the owner said he doesn't do Seikos jobs like this because they can be a bit troublesome. Real nice guy. I suggest them as a resource for you guys for repairs and sales.

Ended up sending the watch in to Seiko to have them put in a new movement. Thanks, broseph.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/15/2023 at 2:54 PM, ChickenNuggets said:

But, do y'all look that closely at the movements and horology when thinking about the next watch you purchase or is it just price/looks? I must admit, i'm a nerd on these kinds of things...

Depends what the watch's "purpose" is, or what the purpose of my purchase is, but I'm conscious of the horology most of the time, and sometimes it's all that matters. Swatch Sistem51 I bought to support the innovation in automated manufacturing. Seiko 5 I buy out of respect for the movement's pedigree. Zero care for aesthetics on both of those. Snoopy Speedy I bought because of Snoopy; DGAF about the watch internals - I also bought a Snoopy Timex for the same reason.

On 7/27/2023 at 7:37 AM, cabowabo said:

They also need to improve their packaging.  I know it's just a box, etc. that gets put away in a storage room never to be looked at again, but the presentation needs to be commensurate with similar watches in their class.  Right now, it's not even close.  

I differ on this point, I don't want a fancy package on my watch, and I don't want any costs spent on packaging/fluff. I don't keep the packaging most of the time anyway. It actually pisses me off when I get a bunch of expensive packaging and box and fancy printed shit with a new watch, why not spend that money on improving the watch, or lower the price??

That said, the packaging that AP uses for service/repair returns is shameful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seeking input from the Surly steering committee.  Jumped on the waitlist for this gmt master 2 yesterday. Would pay retail. Wait time TBD but guess was ~2 years. To date, my affinity for staying off the beaten path has kept me away from Rolex. Now I am feeling no collection is complete without one. This is a new combination for 23 but seems immediately familiar.  

Mrs. Brownwater hates it…

IMG_3452.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg

Edited by brown water
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, brown water said:

Seeking input from the Surly steering committee.  Jumped on the waitlist for this gmt master 2 yesterday. Would pay retail. Wait time TBD but guess was ~2 years. To date, my affinity for staying off the beaten path has kept me away from Rolex. Now I am feeling no collection is complete without one. This is a new combination for 23 but seems immediately familiar.  

IMG_3452.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg

Like the watch, hate the bracelet.  Swap that out and I think it would be solid.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, brown water said:

IMG_3452.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg

Just me but I prefer the sprite in the GMT.

3 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I feel like I'm asking about the hamburger at a steakhouse, but can anyone offer an opinion about Luminox watches?

Specifically, I've got my eye on this one at an online auction.  It's listed as new.

https://luminox.com/products/navy-seal-steel-3251-blackout-steel-military-dive-watch

Good EDC watches to beat up and they take a beating.  I have owned some in the past.  And I own one now that I wear doing outdoorsy stuff that my Omegas wouldn't be caught dead doing.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I feel like I'm asking about the hamburger at a steakhouse, but can anyone offer an opinion about Luminox watches?

Specifically, I've got my eye on this one at an online auction.  It's listed as new.

image.thumb.png.9b6f6bf1b82fa40e4ed551376a2b6ccc.png

https://luminox.com/products/navy-seal-steel-3251-blackout-steel-military-dive-watch

818BE5brZ0S._AC_UX679_.jpg

71w+68H3q8L._AC_UX679_.jpg

716HdrRatRL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Citizen Eco-drive is what you want in that price range.  My stainless is my daily beater and is going strong at 15 years old.  If there were an apocolypse, I would be wearing a Citizen, not my Omega or Tag.  Although I would bring them along for bartering.

Edited by Elvis

Pretty watch, especially the top one, but I'm not asking about watches in a similar price range.  This is a specific Luminox watch that's in an auction that I may be able to get at a very deep discount.   Plus, it'd probably be for my son, who's a Navy nut and would get a kick out of the Seals connection, even though the actual operators probably use G-Shocks or similar.

Luminox claims to have a reputation for being able to take a beating, so it's good to hear as much from utxmike.

12 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

image.thumb.png.9b6f6bf1b82fa40e4ed551376a2b6ccc.png

Might ask that here.

This thread is for the Surly 1%’ers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

as i have said on this thread before, i am not much a watch person but I sought out some advice for a gift for someone on here and, after confirmation, bought them a stowa atnea.

i really liked it a lot.  so simple, so bauhaus-y, and the perfect profile for my tastes.  so i got one for me.  came today.  i grabbed a couple of extra straps and will use the blue one in the middle below as it looks nice with the rest of it.  the brown one i bought is ugly as shit and was a regrettable purchase.

image.thumb.png.364ed05c69c378e97599d6ed095f8cfd.png

• Hook 'Em 5

I but a fair amount of straps. If you're interested in more exotic leathers, there's Artifex Leather in El Paso that makes some great straps. If you want something more traditional @tailored_by_jb on Instagram makes phenomenal straps. I'm sure either could hook you up with something for that Stowa.

2023_0810_21053200.jpg2023_0813_12333300.jpg2023_0807_20062500 (1).jpg2023_0813_00452100.jpg2023_0806_09132300 (2).jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

JR makes excellent straps. I bought a canvas for my Moser and it's great.

I think the straps I got from tailored _by_jb are equal quality to my JR. I will say I don't have a leather strap from JR though.

Here's a brown I picked up from him.

2023_0811_20473300.jpg2023_0813_00465700.jpg2023_0813_00472200.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

JR makes excellent straps. I bought a canvas for my Moser and it's great.

I think the straps I got from tailored _by_jb are equal quality to my JR. I will say I don't have a leather strap from JR though.

Here's a brown I picked up from him.

2023_0811_20473300.jpg2023_0813_00465700.jpg2023_0813_00472200.jpg

Is that your watch as well?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...