2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

article; tldr: pga expected this to happen. They say they went through this same thing in 90s. Won them and expect to win again.

Here we go…

The Department of Justice is investigating whether the PGA Tour engaged in anticompetitive behavior as it battles the upstart, Saudi-backed LIV Golf circuit, the PGA Tour confirmed to The Wall Street Journal. 

Players’ agents have received inquiries from the DOJ’s antitrust division involving both the PGA Tour’s bylaws governing players’ participation in other golf events, and the PGA Tour’s actions in recent months relating to LIV Golf, according to a person familiar with those inquiries. 

The questions send a clear signal that the Justice Department is watching the fight that has divided professional golf, which both sides expect to end up in U.S. courts at some point. Such an investigation would ordinarily include the subject being instructed to freeze all relevant communications, both internal and with third parties.

A spokesman for the PGA Tour said it was aware of the investigation—and was confident it would prevail. The Department of Justice declined to comment.

Since the debut of LIV Golf, which is financed by Saudi Arabia’s sovereign-wealth fund, the PGA Tour has suspended players who have chosen to participate—a punishment that LIV has assailed as anticompetitive. Some of those players have opted to resign from the PGA Tour.  

This isn’t the first federal probe into the PGA Tour’s practices. In 1994, the Federal Trade Commission was pursuing two PGA rules—one barring golfers from playing in a non-PGA event without the commissioner’s permission, and the other relating to their appearance on televised golf programs. By 1995, the FTC had backed off. 

“This was not unexpected,” the PGA Tour spokesman said of the new probe. “We went through this in 1994 and we are confident in a similar outcome.”

The scrutiny over the Tour’s policies has typically focused on the areas that were examined back in the mid-1990s—both of which relate to the current battle with LIV. The PGA Tour’s bylaws suggest that players are still not allowed to participate in other televised golf events without the approval of the commissioner. 

There is also the set of rules that requires players to request a release to play in tournaments that conflict with PGA Tour events. Players are eligible for up to three such releases a season, and no such releases are granted for events in North America. When players requested those releases to play in the first LIV event outside of London last month, they were denied—leading to the suspensions of those who participated nonetheless. 

Critics have called those practices anticompetitive. And LIV Golf CEO and commissioner Greg Norman has boasted of bringing “free agency” to golf. A LIV spokeswoman didn’t have an immediate comment. 

As LIV Golf has tried to woo players, it also raised the possibility of a scenario such as this one. Earlier this year, LIV had sent a letter to players and agents accusing the PGA Tour of monopolistic behavior, writing that if the PGA Tour followed through on banning players who joined LIV that it would “likely cause the federal government to investigate and punish the PGA Tour’s unlawful practices.” 

“There is simply no recognized justification for banning independent contractor professional golfers for simply contracting to play professional golf,” the letter said. 

The DOJ’s investigation presages what may become a prolonged and multi-pronged legal battle inside professional golf. The LIV Golf circuit, or the players who left the PGA Tour, could bring an antitrust suit in the U.S. The Justice Department could weigh in with a statement of interest in such a case, or keep pursuing its own action. 

One of the notable developments in that space unfolded just last week when a handful of LIV golfers challenged their suspensions from an event—and won a stay. The DP World Tour, also known as the European tour, had suspended LIV players from participating in the Genesis Scottish Open, which it co-sanctions with the PGA Tour. 

But days before the event, a judge hearing the golfers’ complaint through a dispute resolution service said those bans should be temporarily enjoined. 

LIV Golf—and the money behind it—has generated considerable controversy and tumult inside the sport this year. The circuit has offered record prize money, in addition to lucrative appearance fees, in order to attract top pros. 

Superstar Phil Mickelson faced considerable backlash earlier this year after the publication of comments in which he said he would be willing to do business with the Saudis despite the country’s record on human rights, because of his dissatisfaction with how the PGA Tour operates. 

Mickelson spent months away from golf following the firestorm. When he re-emerged, it was at LIV’s debut event outside London. 

He is one of a growing list of big names who have signed on with LIV, including Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Brooks Koepka and Patrick Reed. Many of these players have faced consequences from not just the PGA Tour, which suspended them, but also their own sponsors who have in some instances stopped working with them. 

Their involvement with the Saudis has also drawn the criticism of activists, including the families of 9/11 victims. 

—Mark Maremont contributed to this article.

Write to Louise Radnofsky at louise.radnofsky@wsj.com and Andrew Beaton at andrew.beaton@wsj.com

15 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

John Daly is a lot shorter than I realized.

Yeah, I was also surprised to learn that Daly was not a tall guy when I met him.   

About 10 years ago I sat next to John on an early morning SWA flight from Texas to LA (in the middle of the plane 😎).  Dude was hung over and begging for drinks with caffeine in them (I think diet cokes) and putting off strong vibes that he wanted to be left alone.  He was also busy solving sudoku puzzles -- crazy right ?? 😋

His pen ran out of ink, so I offered him an extra one that I had in my travel bag.  He was pretty cool about it and appreciative.  I told him that I knew who he was and respected his privacy if he wanted to be left alone -- he looked a lot like Nick Nolte on a bender.

104-115290_Actual.jpg?x=533&y=800&icq=74

We did chat for a couple minutes so I asked him if he was headed to a PGA tournament in the LA area.  He said no, he was gonna drive down to a gathering of some old friends,  play a little golf & party with them, and then pick up his RV Bus.  Pretty sure the golf/party was in the Palm Springs area.  After that he was then driving the RV Bus to Las Vegas -- that dude was just going from one party to the next party.

After that short conversation, he just went back to solving more puzzles. 

Based on his behavior, Daly really needed a few beers and cigarettes,  but I'm guessing he picked those up in LA... 😂😂😂

• Like 1

Cross-posting from LIV thread...

Henrik Stenson announced he was joining and will play starting with upcoming tournament.

Yeah, that Henrik Stenson, whom was also just sacked as the captain of the European Ryder Cup team.

Whoopsie.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/20/henrik-stenson-stripped-of-ryder-cup-captaincy-liv-golf

Henrik Stenson should be booed forever for ditching Ryder Cup captaincy for LIV Golf

AP-Ryder-Cup-Europe-Golf.jpg?w=1000&h=60

By:  Andy Nesbitt            July 20, 2022 

One of the most meaningful jobs a pro golfer can be given is the captaincy of a Ryder Cup team. The event happens only every two years so there aren’t many opportunities to land the gig and to get the reigns of either Team USA or Team Europe means you’ve done some incredible things in your playing days.

It’s a special job for a special event that brings the best out of everyone involved and it’s were very good players can become legends in the span of three days.

Henrik Stenson was named the European captain last March and immediately let everyone know how much it meant to him, saying:

The Ryder Cup is golf, and sport, at its very best. I got goosebumps every time I pulled on a European shirt as a player and that will be magnified in the role of Captain. While it is great for me personally, it is also great for my country and all the players from Sweden who have played for Europe with such distinction since Joakim Haeggman became the first in 1993.

“When I started out as a professional golfer, it was beyond my wildest dreams that, one day, I would follow in the footsteps of legends of the game such as Seve and be the European Ryder Cup Captain. But today proves that, sometimes, dreams do come true.”

Well, his dream came to end on Wednesday morning and he has nobody to blame but himself. The DP World Tour/Team Europe announced that Stenson’s role as captain “has been brought to an end with immediate effect” because the 46-year-old Swede will reportedly be joining LIV Golf. That deal with LIV must be as good as done because the DP World Tour wouldn’t have made that announcement if it wasn’t.

You can say that Stenson didn’t ditch the Ryder Cup, the team fired him; but you would be wrong. When Stenson took the gig his contract stated it could be pulled if he joined any rival tours or leagues. At the time he even said, “The captain has an agreement… so I’m fully committed to my role as a captain.”

Stenson has made the choice to leave for LIV and that choice has led to the DP World Tour/Team Europe to making its decision.

Stenson is now free to play the 54-hole shotgun starts of the LIV Golf tour, where’s he’s expected to join Ian Poulter’s squad.

That’s right, he’s leaving Team Europe for Team Majesticks GC, which also includes 49-year-old Lee Westwood.

Yikes.

I know some of you right now are probably yelling about money and letting Stenson, who is well past his prime, take the cash, which I’m sure he got a bunch of from the Saudi-funded league. And yes, he can take the cash and run to LIV if that’s what he wants to do. That’s his choice.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t make the choice to boo him forever because of it. And that’s exactly what we should do to a man who basically spit on one of the greatest events in all of sports so he could go play with his other old friends in a league that is fracturing the sport of men’s professional golf.

Leaving the Ryder Cup captaincy for LIV Golf is disgusting and sad but hey, money.

Enjoy the cash, Henrik. Good stuff.

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Dude is such a goober. 

Aren’t you an SMU guy?  He has a schtick, I don’t mind it.  He’s today’s John Daly.   if he was dominating weekend coverage he would probably annoy me, but given his current status in the sport, he’s a colorful diversion.

20 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Aren’t you an SMU guy?  He has a schtick, I don’t mind it.  He’s today’s John Daly.   if he was dominating weekend coverage he would probably annoy me, but given his current status in the sport, he’s a colorful diversion.

I don't dislike him I just think he's goofy. 

On 7/22/2022 at 2:09 PM, ztejas said:

Dude is such a goober. 

On 7/22/2022 at 9:36 PM, conVINCEd said:

On 7/22/2022 at 9:58 PM, ztejas said:

I don't dislike him I just think he's goofy. 

Higgs missed the cut by 1, with a 10 on his scorecard. 
now that is goofy, stupid goofy - take the penalty & a bogey and move on, maybe he thinks he is Roy McAvoy