2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

26 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

That finish looked like a professional golf tournament.

Schwartzel was an anchoring MF yesterday, F those guys. Do they even have the same rules? How can they earn OWGR Points with only a 54 hole tourney?

Narrator:   they can't. 

On 6/10/2022 at 11:20 PM, dieucla98 said:

A year ago, there were four golfers that truly moved the needle - Tiger, Phil, Rory, Spieth.

After that, it's a long fall down to whoever you want to argue is 5th.

Tiger is... I won't say done because at this point that feels really foolish but certainly not the same. Phil bone sawed himself. So that leaves two golfers that are compelling to the average fan, that grow the game, increase viewership, etc ...

Maybe Scottie is next? I don't know, but he's not there yet. But the PGA is in a tenuous as fuck position - they are about to get into a money war and have two horses in the stable. 

I hope the Saudi dickheads for human beings blew their load and won't put more in for a Rory or a Spieth. But if they do, and both are now fathers who I'm sure are not enjoying the time away from the kids that the tour forces you to do, the PGA is fucked.

Yeah this is a really good post. 
If you listened to Rory last year and read between the lines you would see much less than a full throated support for the tour. 
I took what he was saying to be- well- I’m making a bunch of money on tour, maybe these guys could make me richer or maybe these guys are a group of fly by night dipshits that will be out of business in a minute and I will jeopardize my image and maybe future likelihood playing on that new tour. No thanks, for now. 
but- if these guys are still pumping out 25 million dollar no cut tournaments 12 times a year in a year or 3, every single star is going to take the money and run. Every last one of them.  Because nobody gives a fuck about regular tour wins except as a means to the end (of getting fucking rich) and how it sets you up to continue earning that living. 
12 of those a year, maybe it’s 14, maybe it’s 16 and then the 4 majors and a couple other made for TV type events and these guys are set on the schedule. 
some asshole I’d never heard of finished 2nd and was on the winning team and his paycheck shot all over Rory’s. They are paying 750k to winning team and that’s basically a side bet, and makes it something like 3rd place money on the tour event. 
the reason it’s mostly 40’s and up and anti social weirdos right now is because there’s a risk that the Saudis get tired of this and stop paying. But time will do away with that fear and then it’s Katy bar the doors. 
The PGA tour should figure out a way to be ok with this because if this thing doesn’t die in 6 months the tour is turbofucked if they think they can hold back the tide. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

How can they earn OWGR Points with only a 54 hole tourney?

I have some issues with OWGR including
a) giving points for Tigers Hero charity event
b) giving points to WGC Match play for guys who win 1 match
c) giving points in no cut events, like the other WGC's
d) overrating the field in the Euro/DP tour events

I stated earlier that if they give points to things like the Hero, then the LIV events should count; but really the correct answer is to give points in neither. LIV guys have spoken, they care most about money - so fuck'em and the points they don't get.

• Like 1

Got a summary? 

All the questions about LIV and Saudis etc

He didn’t answer a lot of the questions and said it’s for private conversations

No joking around like the old Phil. He didn’t really say a whole lot. Gave short prepared type answers.

They are replaying the comments on golf channel and talking about it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

How is Brooks Koepka not already on the LiV. He basically doesn’t give a shit about winning anywhere other than Phoenix when it comes to regular tour events, he’s all about the majors (which he could still play) I’d have to imagine they would give him 9 figures to join up, and his body is breaking down. Also- apparently the only guy he likes/who likes him on tour is DJ. I don’t understand how that hasn’t happened yet. 
Also, interesting to me that Tiger turned down $900,000,000 or whatever it was. He could have gone out there and played grabass and rode around in the cart on a quasi Senor tour basis and   Nobody would have said jack shit about him (in a way that stuck anyway). 
for a guy that’s all about the money that seems like a pretty sweet sunset to me for Tiger. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

How is Brooks Koepka not already on the LiV. He basically doesn’t give a shit about winning anywhere other than Phoenix when it comes to regular tour events, he’s all about the majors (which he could still play) I’d have to imagine they would give him 9 figures to join up, and his body is breaking down. Also- apparently the only guy he likes/who likes him on tour is DJ. I don’t understand how that hasn’t happened yet. 

No idea. Maybe he wants to win a FedEx? Or TPC? 

2 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

All the questions about LIV and Saudis etc

He didn’t answer a lot of the questions and said it’s for private conversations

No joking around like the old Phil. He didn’t really say a whole lot. Gave short prepared type answers.

They are replaying the comments on golf channel and talking about it.

You would have short, prepared answers as well if your new boss would chop you up into pieces if he is not happy with your answer.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

No idea. Maybe he wants to win a FedEx? Or TPC? 

Maybe even in a collection of assholes like Reed and BDC he stands above as someone they don’t want to fuck with. 
him signing his bonus check for the LiV would be worth 5 fed ex cup titles I’d think. 
does anyone care about winning the TPC in a legacy sense?  

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

does anyone care about winning the TPC in a legacy sense?

Yes. I'm not sure if Brooks does or doesn't but it's a huge tournament that can legitimize or further legitimize a career. It's the best or 2nd best field every year 

Just now, ztejas said:

Yes. I'm not sure if Brooks does or doesn't but it's a huge tournament that can legitimize or further legitimize a career. It's the best or 2nd best field every year 

I think you point to winning the TPC as an accomplishment when you are a guy like Ricky and that’s your biggest win. I simply cannot imagine a guy who has won 4 majors pining away for that. I’m aware it’s the best field all year and the biggest purse. It’s a great tournament to win, no doubt. I just can’t imagine it moving the needle as a legacy type of event. 
also- didn’t Brooks brother go play on the LiV tour?  Or did I make that up in my head?  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think you point to winning the TPC as an accomplishment when you are a guy like Ricky and that’s your biggest win. I simply cannot imagine a guy who has won 4 majors pining away for that. I’m aware it’s the best field all year and the biggest purse. It’s a great tournament to win, no doubt. I just can’t imagine it moving the needle as a legacy type of event. 
also- didn’t Brooks brother go play on the LiV tour?  Or did I make that up in my head?  

I agree it seems like something he would do. Just guessing as to why he wouldn't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

and i would also add the fact that he just got married to this nookie girl, who you know likes to spend money:

cover-1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

He is such a douchebag. 
I can’t stand him. 
he really needs to go play there like stat. Maybe he just figured he’d do it after getting married and the Us Open- one of maybe 5 or 6 tournaments that has his attention. 

i think I recognized 15 names from the first field and Chase Koepka was one of them so strictly nepotism. 
Koncrack, Reed, BDC, and Perez get it up to 19 names I know. koepka would make even 20. They really need to get Koepka and about 10 other recognizable guys from the top 100. Then they would have more guys you know and think their game is decent (bubba Watson fits) and still have room to take in 15 or so other guys. 
or they could just sign Tiger and it would be all over and the tour would immediately capitulate. I guess he turned that down. 
this is the next 10 I’d try really hard for (that I think are gettable) if I’m them:

Koepka, Scott, Day, Fowler (he’s not official yet is he?), Matsuyama, YE Yang, John Daly, Answer, IM and Fleetwood  

That’s a lot of international players which fits with their “worldwide tour/growing the game schtick” plus the carnival freak show that is John Daly which they are sort of going for carnival freak show from what I could tell.

Watching those guys get rich for a year or two would lead to guys in the top 10 or 15 saying duck it- why not  and if those guys said fuck it then it reaches critical mass where you can go play either tour.  Unless you think the OgA Tour would like to tell Spieth, Jt, Scotty, Rory etc, all at the same time, that they are persona non grata.

The funny thing is- the moment that the tour stops fighting these guys going over there is the moment the big money from LIV dries up  they can just offer 25,000,000 purses and non it’s and guys will just go over to cash a couple big paychecks and it won’t be a big deal.  I think.  Maybe the PGA tour can beat this back, but if the Saudi’s have as much appetite to burn money as they say they do (and I suspect they certainly could at present OIL prices worldwide) I don’t see how the tour can stop this from being a thing in a year or two… and I’d like to see an actual top 30 guys in the world and a sprinkling of past greats as a golf tour.  I watch Tiger and friends at his deal.  I really don’t care about the 106th ranked player in the world winning in Milwaukee or Detroit or Washington DC or any of the other fields that suck dick  

Ain't no one give a fuck about YE Yang. He hasn't played golf worth a shit in 4 years and is outside the top 1,000 right now. 

And who is IM? 

Agree that the rest of those would be good targets. Although I think Ancer is both playing too well right now and hasn't done enough on tour yet to want to bolt. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ain't no one give a fuck about YE Yang. He hasn't played golf worth a shit in 4 years and is outside the top 1,000 right now. 

And who is IM? 

Agree that the rest of those would be good targets. Although I think Ancer is both playing too well right now and hasn't done enough on tour yet to want to bolt. 

IM is top 30 in the world almost top 20.  He’s South Korean as is Yang. Basically Yang isn’t great but I imagine he’s still a big deal in South Korea and if you got their best present day golfer and their most accomplished golfer I imagine you could get some interest and TV deals over there, which is a big golf market. 
I’d also try to get the most accomplished/popular Indian and Chinese golfer around. Maybe Atwal for India.

It’s not necessarily about the American gold fan right now if I was game planning it for them. I’d be looking for guys that have popularity in their home countries and have some name recognition in America, and who it would eat up guys on tour to see cashing 7 figure checks when they figure, I’m better than that clown. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pretty awesome pic. I'm not some PGA-defending hardo but this is what professional golf should be about in my book. Screenshot_20220614-010309-594.thumb.png.a4618e0c40b5e0a765c53a534af93a60.png

Fag.  I keeeed

also: https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/one-of-golfs-most-prideful-champions-phil-mickelson-appears-despondent-over-liv-golf-decision/

They’re gonna chop him up on live TV, aren’t they?

• Haha 1

His brother is playin in their shit and he’s given it little thought?

Maybe as to him playing, but other than that I highly doubt those words. 

His point is valid though. Wish they’d all shut the fuck up about it and just talk about the real golf on the real tour.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Look, Biden is going over there as a head of state this summer. W was photo’d holding hands (literally) with them out for a walk (camp David I think). We do business with them.  We always have. We do it at the state level. They own all sorts of other sports ventures and the world goes on. I guess I just don’t understand when this gets enforced and when it gets ignored and why professional golfers should be help to a standard higher than politicians, other sports teams or literally anyone else out there. 
My strong suspicion is that if we could bend the knee collectively to them and they’d agree to pump enough oil to make gas $2.00 a gallon and reduce inflation to 3% or whatever it would be if energy costs got cut by 60% and we had a nationwide referendum that would pass with about 80% affirming. So I’m supposed to hate Phil for taking 200 million from them?

they are autocratic dickheads. Phil recognized they were scary motherfuckers. What’s his crime, honesty?  Maybe it works for the best and I end up entertained as a golf fan by what they are doing and feel a little yucky and gross while I watch. Maybe they collect all the biggest dickheads on tour (and if they could add Bubba and Brooks to the collection they already have boy are they off to a rousing start) and crash and burn and we can all point and laugh. Either way I’m interested in how it plays out and think it will be a benefit to golf (through success or spectacular failure.) 

PGA Tour stars who played The Country Club as amateurs may have US Open edge

By  Mark Cannizzaro      June 14, 2022 

BROOKLINE, Mass. — So what if it’s been nine years?

Players who competed in the 2013 U.S. Amateur at The Country Club and are back for this week’s U.S. Open on the same venerable grounds could have an advantage.

And no one should have a better advantage than 27-year-old Englishman Matthew Fitzpatrick, who won that 2013 U.S Amateur at Brookline.

Matthew-Fitzpatrick.jpg?quality=75&strip

“It’s a memory that will live with me forever,’’ Fitzpatrick said. “I can’t believe it’s nine years ago really. It’s crazy how fast it’s gone.’’

Fitzpatrick was part of that U.S. Amateur field stacked with what would become a who’s-who of PGA Tour pros — many of whom are in this week’s U.S. Open field.

Scottie Scheffler, the No. 1 ranked player in the world, played in that U.S. Am, losing in the quarterfinals. Bryson DeChambeau lost in the second round of match play. Xander Schauffele lost in the third round. Justin Thomas played and never even advanced into the match play stage.

Others back after nine years include Max Homa, Will Zalatoris, Talor Gooch, who just joined the Saudi LIV Golf tour, Grayson Murray and Westchester’s own Cameron Young, who’s the leader in the clubhouse as the PGA Tour’s Rookie of the Year at the moment.

Fitzpatrick defeated Canadian Corey Conners, also in the field this week, in the semifinal en route to his cherished title.

“I feel like I’ve got a good handle on the golf course from having that experience,’’ Conners said. “I made it far in the matches, so I feel like the learning curve on the golf course isn’t going to be crazy. I have that added comfort.’’

Fitzpatrick is ranked 18th in the world and is coming off a strong showing at the PGA Championship last month in Tulsa, Okla.

“I remember everything,’’ Fitzpatrick said of that U.S. Am. “I’ve been back a few times since, and love coming back here.’’

Why wouldn’t he? With his brother caddying for him and his entire family in attendance, Fitzpatrick defeated Oliver Goss 4&3 in the final to capture the title as an 18-year-old.

Fitzpatrick said that was “so long ago’’ that “I’ve forgot most of’’ the golf. What he does remember, though, is his brother leaving one of his wedges by the first green, and him asking a police officer to go retrieve it.

“I’ve not seen him since,’’ Fitzpatrick said of the police officer — not his brother.

Fitzpatrick’s win made him the first English winner of the event since Harold Hilton in 1911. He followed that triumph with a tie for 44th at the 2013 British Open and a tie for 48th at the 2014 U.S. Open to become the first amateur since Bobby Jones in 1930 to hold low amateur titles at the British and U.S. Opens at the same time.

He has bigger expectations now, particularly after his tie for fifth at the PGA Championship at Southern Hills, where a final-round 73 derailed his chances to win.

“For me, this U.S. Open is different for obvious reasons … just because of winning the U.S. Amateur here and just having such an amazing experience last time,’’ Fitzpatrick said. “It’s been on my radar for years that I knew it was obviously coming here.’’

Fitzpatrick has seven wins worldwide, but is still searching for his first win on U.S. soil, his PGA Tour victory.

Scheffler doesn’t have that problem. He’s won four times since 2021, including the Masters in April.

Like Fitzpatrick, he has vivid memories of his experience at Brookline in 2013.

“That was a really cool event for me,’’ Scheffler said. “I had won the U.S. Junior that year. It was a really cool year for me in golf. I have great memories of this tournament. I was walking around with my coach [Randy Smith] here in 2013 and he was here in ’99 [at the Ryder Cup] when Justin [Leonard] made the putt and he was teaching Justin at the time, so we both have great memories of this place.’’

He vividly recalled his quarterfinal loss to Australian Brady Watt, saying, “I plugged it in the bunker short on 18. I think I ended up making bogey, and he made a nice little 4-footer for par to beat me.’’

Scheffler recalled staying with a family across the street from the course back then, and now can’t wait to tackle The Country Club as a pro.

“I think you learn a lot playing those types of courses where you stand there on the first tee, and you are, like, ‘Oh my goodness, I’m going to rip this place up,’ and then 5-under wins the tournament,’’ he said.

Scheffler, Fitzpatrick and any of the others who competed in that 2013 U.S. Amateur at The Country Club would sign right now for 5-under as their final score

On 6/14/2022 at 11:03 AM, 4th&Five said:

the media needs to give it a rest. but the pros need to drop the pettiness, move on. shake hands, do your talking on the course

that being said, ill be pulling damn hard for lefty to pull out a miracle this week 

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the media needs to give it a rest. but the pros need to drop the pettiness, move on. shake hands, do your talking on the course

that being said, ill be pulling damn hard for lefty to pull out a miracle this week 

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I’m not playing this week. 🤣

35 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If I recall, isnt some of the speculation that he doesn't return to the PGA because of a $20 million dollar insurance policy that would be voided? Seems like a no brainer if the LIV is trying to generate interest and buzz. Whats another $20 million for the Saudi's? 

18 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If I recall, isnt some of the speculation that he doesn't return to the PGA because of a $20 million dollar insurance policy that would be voided? Seems like a no brainer if the LIV is trying to generate interest and buzz. Whats another $20 million for the Saudi's? 

I think it was $16mil, and yes it's an insurance policy issue. It's a shame, the kid had a TON of potential 

Hard work pays off, quite literally for Scottie Scheffler.

After finishing T-2 alongside Will Zalatoris at the 2022 U.S. Open, one shot behind champion Matt Fitzpatrick, Scheffler earned $1,557,687 to bring his total earnings on the season to a whopping $12,896,849 (not including bonuses), which set a new record for most official money earned in a PGA Tour season. Jordan Spieth had the previous record after earning $12,030,465 in the 2014-15 season.

As if that sum of money isn’t impressive enough on its own, think about this: there are still 10 events left on this season’s PGA Tour schedule.

Scheffler has four wins this season, his most recent coming at the Masters, which capped a run of four wins in six starts. According to the PGA Tour, Scheffler is the fourth player to earn 4-plus wins and 3-plus runner-up finishes in a single season since 200, joining the likes of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Jordan Spieth. His third runner-up of the season ties Cameron Young and Will Zalatoris for the most on Tour.

image.thumb.png.8bf5e06e65a8294dceb3a7b0d010f0b2.png

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Blotto said:

image.thumb.png.8bf5e06e65a8294dceb3a7b0d010f0b2.png

Rory as the elder statesman at 33 is funny to me. It’s amazing how young (and good) the tour has gotten. When I was growing up it was just run by 30 year olds. Now, if you aren’t winning majors by 27 you seem way behind schedule. Maybe that number is actually 25. 

True observation, and not just because we’re older too. 

I’m fine with that, if they can handle it without being a self entitled prick to people. 

Rory pulls it off very well. Even being a decade younger than what would traditionally fill that voice.

Scottie is obviously handling it well this far, as are a lot of the younger guys. Some not so much, but most seem to be doing well enough for their age/experience. 

I think a lot of that stems from how well college programs are preparing them for the bigger spotlight. Helping them with outside pressure handling, media presence, etc. 

Quite a different world than what we grew up in. 

• Hook 'Em 1