2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

I wonder if that proposal would end up with new alternate tournaments popping up on the weekends when there is an elevated tournament that weekend? Similar to the alternates on some invitational weekends. 

Might be an opportunity there for a few more Latin America stops, or courses the tour had moved on from, new courses, etc. Especially since there’s going to be quite a few players from whom you are taking 15 tournaments a year.

Majors are different of course, but you would think it might be a possibility with some sort of profitable value. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I wonder if that proposal would end up with new alternate tournaments popping up on the weekends when there is an elevated tournament that weekend? Similar to the alternates on some invitational weekends. 

Might be an opportunity there for a few more Latin America stops, or courses the tour had moved on from, new courses, etc. Especially since there’s going to be quite a few players from whom you are taking 15 tournaments a year.

Majors are different of course, but you would think it might be a possibility with some sort of profitable value. 

IMO - they need to "elevate" KFC events during those weeks, allow expanded fields including the PGA tour guys not playing the elite events. And that gets KFC guys a shot at OWGR points and even some intermediate PGA Tour status if they win a mixed event.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

So will his score reset to par? If not, what if conditions are a bitch and the field comes in at -6 Sunday? 

Now that would be some fucked up shit. Pretty sure it can’t happen, but the thought is amusing.

Pretty sure WillyZ just drops to last place score this weekend -- so 30th spot due to withdrawal...   

Pretty much. Would be quite funny though. 

Jay held a presser that finished up about 20 min ago, then followed by Rory. 

Too much to type, but I guess they already were elevating 8 events, will add 4 more to make 12. Qualifying players guarantee to play those, and at least 3 additional events, plus the majors. So the players are committing to at least 19 events. 

Lots more going on, looks to be a big announcement days. 

Rory had a big announcement too. Missed that part, but I think it had something to do with a company he and Tiger are starting. 

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The Rory/Cam Smith pairing may be a little icy tomorrow. 

Oooooh didn't realize that was the pairing. On top of the drama from the British (not that they were grouped together) they're playing for the Tour scoring title. 

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.120.html

lll.thumb.PNG.5c4ae15c31937cad3a0f2f77346e36d0.PNG

I wonder if this is something that guys keep track of. I would have to think at this point in the season they'd be somewhat aware as there are two trophies given out for it. 

(to expound myself - feels like something that could be a nice stamp on a decent career or for someone that hasn't done it - I'm guessing Rory couldn't give a shit less, though)

Edited by ztejas

Looks like a nice day of golf to me, and nice pairings on the featured groups.

Sometimes Theegala still being a rookie slips my mind. He’s played so well this season and been everywhere you look it seems. 

IM and Rahm will be a good watch. Scottie, of course. 

Obviously the big one will be Rory/Cam. Especially with the rumor of 7 players (IIRC, from Golf Today yesterday) possibly announcing leaving after this weekend.

Maybe it changes by then. 

Lots of drama going around.

Gotta feel bad for Will Z - but then I read this 

As a result of the WD from the Tour Championship, Zalatoris has automatically dropped to last place (30th) for the event and regardless of playing or not will take home $500,000. It was also announced he’ll miss next month’s Presidents Cup.

tough break but 1/2 a mill should make some of the pain go away

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes he's a real pillar of the community and a great husband and father. 

Talking about his golf game. 

He won twice and was top 10 in all 4 majors, runner up in 1. That's a solid fucking year in the current tour. The fields are not like they were in the Tiger era. 

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

My point was that probably took a lot out of him and his game...being the face of this whole thing for the last few months.

It's possible. He's played a lot of good golf this season, though. Just not very often when it's mattered. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's possible. He's played a lot of good golf this season, though. Just not very often when it's mattered. 

Top 10 in all four majors, top 5 in 3 - or is him losing his putter for one round at the Open just glaringly overstated in your mind?

Ha, and on cue - dunks a pitch. Back to -3 for Rory.

Edited by dieucla98

3 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

He won twice and was top 10 in all 4 majors, runner up in 1. That's a solid fucking year in the current tour. The fields are not like they were in the Tiger era. 

Okay but for someone of his stature there hasn't been anything for him to hang his hat on. Yeah the Canadian is a nice win but that isn't really moving the needle much on his career. He'd trade a win in any of the majors for missing the cut in the other three. 

For as well as he's played it's been a disappointing year. He'd tell you that himself. 

All that said... he just went birdie/eagle so maybe he's not quite done. 

This is somewhat interesting to keep an eye on - but I actually think Rory has it in the bag after looking at it a bit more thoroughly. 

Rory finished -9 at the BMW - Fitz finished E and Cam didn't play. Rory went from roughly .3 strokes up on Fitz to what it is now at ~.43.

Screenshot_20220825-173422-913.png.20bc9e373fc144354780ef4876efa228.png

So I think to catch Rory Cam would have to outplay him by like 20 shots. 

And then there's paychecks and OWGR points and President's cup points... who cares. 

Could be a boring weekend indeed.