2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

On 8/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, Hate said:

After signing a huge deal with LIV, I'm having a difficult time understanding exactly how Reed has been impacted by the criticism.  Also, won't he have to prove he didn't cheat?  This could be somewhat interesting to see what happens.  Reed is a total and complete douche like just about everyone currently on the LIV tour.  If it weren't for his Ryder Cup history, I'd have trouble finding anything good to say about him.

He’s a douche of the highest order. Far worse than anyone else on LIV and has serious psychological problems. 

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Scottie sneaks into the final as the #1 seed and a 2 shot lead. 

The guy that's been #1 on Tour all year by a huge margin "sneaks in" to the #1 spot?

That said - the bird that X missed on 18 would have flipped Scottie and Cantlay for 1/2.

So creating a tier of 15 events similar to LIV, but as a subset inside the PGA with smaller fields and the Top Players competing for larger purses.   

I'm sure that the left out events not included in the "Elevated Series"  (approx 25) will be quite unhappy about this.

The proposal,  would create an elevated series of limited field events.  

According to multiple sources close to the situation, the proposed plan would involve limiting fields and elevating purses at up to 15 events on the PGA Tour, creating a series of events around which the game’s top players have all committed to build their schedules.

“We need to get the top guys together more often than we do,” McIlroy told the media this week at the BMW Championship.  According to a report by      The Fire Pit Collective , these elevated events would feature purses of $20 million. 

The proposal also includes a provision that players exempt for the elevated series would be required to play at least three events outside the series per season.

The proposal would be a stark departure from the PGA Tour’s current set up, which includes more than 40 events of varying star power at which fans, broadcasters and sponsors are often unsure what type of field will be present.

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

So they want to create more WGC events? Got it. Way to bring the creativity guys, that'll teach ole' Greg.

It seems a decent attempt  to address the difficult balancing act of catering to the stars while also taking  care of the rest of the membership by providing some access to the high $ events outside of basing it solely on  OWGR points

4 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

So they want to create more WGC events? Got it. Way to bring the creativity guys, that'll teach ole' Greg.

They want to create "alternate LIV" maybe they call it "Lexi" instead of LIV but be able to play majors and Ryder Cup

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

They want to create "alternate LIV" maybe they call it "Lexi" instead of LIV but be able to play majors and Ryder Cup

If I'm understanding the proposal, there won't necessarily be any new events created in the PGA.  I think they currently have 40 events plus the majors ??

So select 15 of those 40 events to be designated as "Elevated Series" events with smaller fields of the Top Players and qualifiers -- purses are larger (maybe $20mil). 

Some of the other 25 events will probably suffer, but possibly survive since the Top Players still have to participate in at least 3 of the remaining 25 events. 

• Hook 'Em 2

That’s how I read it as well. They’re suggesting they take 15 current events, significantly tighten the entry requirements, and significantly up the purses for those events. 

No idea where the additional money for the purse comes from. You know they’ll make significantly more off TV for those, as the fields will be guaranteed top players. Maybe sponsors kick in more. They didn’t seem to be worried about that aspect, so the money must be there.

Didn’t specify the exact path to qualification, other than there would be a defined path and other potential qualifiers to establish the field.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If I'm understanding the proposal, there won't necessarily be any new events created in the PGA.  I think they currently have 40 events plus the majors ??

So select 15 of those 40 events to be designated as "Elevated Series" events with smaller fields of the Top Players and qualifiers -- purses are larger (maybe $20mil). 

Some of the other 25 events will probably suffer, but possibly survive since the Top Players still have to participate in at least 3 of the remaining 25 events. 

There’s a possibility those events will change as well to keep sponsors happy. The NLU podcast is worth the listen. 

33 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

That’s how I read it as well. They’re suggesting they take 15 current events, significantly tighten the entry requirements, and significantly up the purses for those events. 

No idea where the additional money for the purse comes from. You know they’ll make significantly more off TV for those, as the fields will be guaranteed top players. Maybe sponsors kick in more. They didn’t seem to be worried about that aspect, so the money must be there.

Didn’t specify the exact path to qualification, other than there would be a defined path and other potential qualifiers to establish the field.

Bump the invitationals and the WGC events and you are basically there.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Right.  LIV + majors + Ryder Cup...and add Korn Ferry PLUS/Group of 5

just call it LXXII tour

Phil was right but good for the tour.  without the major/ryder cup whip though they'd be in big trouble.