Cowboys @ Chargers: Week 2

Vic Mackey

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

I've heard of couch potatoes, but McCarthy is Coach Potato. Just a total boob when it comes to game and clock management.

Unreal that a guy that dim somehow finds himself making millions and in charge of a major sports organization. Failing upward, like the subject from Mark Twain's Luck.

Every game that passes I begin to think if Aaron Rodgers played for Belichick he'd have 5+ rings. How he dragged this guy to a title is beyond comprehension. And of course the Jones idiots think he's some sort of genius. 

• Like 2

First, that was a huge win.  Huge considering first two games on the road and on opposite coasts.  Hope the guys enjoy it.

Second, McCarthy is a fucking moron and we'll never win anything of consequence with him at the helm.  The knock on him out of GB is he's terrible with clock management and Rodgers used to have to pull his head out of has ass and he coaches like it's the 1970's with game management.  He hasn't gotten better at all.  The Chargers did everything they could to give us this game and McCarthy with Fassel riding shotgun almost blew a layup.  

Feel good Monday as Soul Glo used to say, but long-term I think this just proved the Thumb is still one of the shittiest coaches to win a SB.  

Defensively, they played their asses off, they're just undermanned.  1 good corner, 1 decent run stuffer and down our starting pass rushers, where we're average.  I give Quinn or whoever made the decision to play Parsons at DE.  Parsons is a beast and I'll look forward to watching him play if he can stay clean off the field.

1-1 is really a good record considering all things.

6 minutes ago, DougO said:

Props to Steele at RT. Maybe the talk about his offseason transformation wasn't total bullshit.

Zeke looked fairly useful today, as well.

Parsons has to be tired as hell. Rushed from the end most of the day, finally got a huuuuuge sack (no controversy).

It was probably grounding if it wasn't a sack. 

28 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

What was worse, 4th and 20 all out try for a punt block or end of game clock management?

Worse were the two uncalled holds on that punt where the Cowboys rusher was blocked into the kicker that gave the Chargers a first down.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

parsons definitely makes this D better.  At least we are seeing some turnovers.  they didn't play well but got TO's when they needed them and held the Chargers to 17 points which is what matters at the end of the day.

I am impressed. They were avg today. A huge step forward. 

• Fuck You 1

McCarthy is an idiot and a liar.  From ESPN...

First, a player went off the field after Tony Pollard's 3-yard run to the Los Angeles 38 on second down with 33 seconds to play.

"One of our players came off that shouldn't have come off," McCarthy said. "Just a communication error."

Then the clock McCarthy was eyeing on the digital board overhanging the SoFi Stadium field went out.

"I never had a clock go off the board like that," McCarthy said.

Offensive coordinator Kellen Moore was not in a better position either.

"He got blocked by a camera guy," McCarthy said of Moore's ability to see one of the field-level clocks.

Instead of using the timeout early and potentially leaving the Cowboys in a bad situation if they ran a third-down play, McCarthy opted to let the clock run down with the aid of his assistant coaches from the coaches' booth and called a timeout with four seconds to play.

"Once we didn't have the personnel set for the third-down call we were in between once you get below 17 seconds," McCarthy said. "It's a threshold, so we let it run down and take the kick."

Zuerlein made it work by connecting on the longest-game winning field goal with no time left in regulation in franchise history, delivering the Cowboys a 20-17 victory 10 days after he missed a field goal try and a PAT attempt that cost them in the 31-29 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the opener.

Dak Prescott was unaware of any clock issues the coaches had until after Zuerlein's kick

"I wasn't sure. I'm looking at the end zone clock. I saw the time," he said. "I just thought we were comfortable and we're good in field goal range and that's what they wanted to do."