Erwin Center Concerts (you saw & ones you wished you could have seen)

Guest Lobo

3 hours ago, stc said:

saw plenty of concerts there and the sound sucked for every single one of them. won't miss it at all. moody is a massive improvement. 

It seemed random to me.  I saw Pink Floyd (minus Roger Waters, and nobody missed him) -- the sound was fantastic.

20 hours ago, Litig8r said:

I live in the Panhandle (of Florida).  We took a group to see Fleetwood Mac at the Erwin. Stayed at the Driskel, got way fucked up, went to the LBJ Library and toured the Texas Capital.  Would recommend.  

Also saw Colter Wall at Waterloo Records and Ward Davis at Stubbs. 

First concert ever was Boston in Feb 1979. Went with eight other guys and all wore matching football jerseys. What a bunch of dorks. 

But more interestingly, I sold tshirts and cokes there for years. Saw every concert in the late 70’s to the mid 80’s. U2, Van Halen, Neil Diamnond, etc.  I sold you dweebs tshirts and you probably stole one from me you little basterds. 

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

First concert ever was Boston in Feb 1979. Went with eight other guys and all wore matching football jerseys. What a bunch of dorks. 

But more interestingly, I sold tshirts and cokes there for years. Saw every concert in the late 70’s to the mid 80’s. U2, Van Halen, Neil Diamnond, etc.  I sold you dweebs tshirts and you probably stole one from me you little basterds. 

Ha.  I got robbed of my newly-purchased concert t-shirt after a show in St. Louis.  I can't remember if it was Boston or Van Halen.  Two dudes came up, flashed a knife, and I (wisely) handed it over.  Those rat fucks.

2 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

First: Chuck Mangione 1980,81. Too Lazy to look it up. Went with HS Band director and the HS Stage\Jazz Band.

Heh, I saw him under similar circumstances at Ravinia outside of Chicago.  One of our Cavaliers brass techs went to Eastman with him, and she got us backstage to meet him after the show.  He was actually a very chill guy.

First: Chuck Mangione 1980,81. Too Lazy to look it up. Went with HS Band director and the HS Stage\Jazz Band.
Last : Tom Petty w\ Gary Clark Jr.

Re: Chuck Mangione - always loved the guitar solo in the song Feels So Good. Homeboy just rips on that fat Gibson at 1:30 in this video. Not that the cameraman had a clue.

3 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Last : Tom Petty w\ Gary Clark Jr.

I remember seeing Chuck at the Meg Lo Mart in Arlen. 

Chuck-Mangione.jpg

• Haha 1

One of my favorite concert moments was at a Bruce show (maybe The Rising tour?) When Joe Ely joined him on stage and the E Street Band backed him on All Just To Get To You. Joe just owned that stage being the consumate pro that he is, and the E Streeters proved why they're one of (maybe the?) best bar band of all time. They were all having a blast & played the shit out of that song. I've seen Joe join Bruce several times since, but that moment is burned in my brain. Joe deserved to be there.

• Hook 'Em 2

The only Riverside venue I can think of that might have hosted Pantera would be The Back Room.  Also, Austin Opera House was on Academy drive, near Riverside & South Congress.

Probably the back room. No too different from the basement in Dallas where they did some epic shows in their early days. Although by 93 they were getting bigger.

Yep, that sounds right!

On 3/13/2024 at 7:13 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

One of my favorite concert moments was at a Bruce show (maybe The Rising tour?) When Joe Ely joined him on stage and the E Street Band backed him on All Just To Get To You. Joe just owned that stage being the consumate pro that he is, and the E Streeters proved why they're one of (maybe the?) best bar band of all time. They were all having a blast & played the shit out of that song. I've seen Joe join Bruce several times since, but that moment is burned in my brain. Joe deserved to be there.

I was there. Great show. I think the 1984 Thanksgiving show was better though. Best I ever saw there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rush - June 12th, 2011.
4th row, great show.

Think I saw that same tour at Red Rocks. Was that the one where they took an intermission then played the entire moving pictures album for a second set? Think I read they had never played The Camera Eye live before that tour. It was bad ass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...

Go by this week before all the support beams are down and it's just an unidentifiable pile of rubble.  You can still kinda make it out and it looks like one of those blogs where people photograph urban buildings left abandoned/decayed.  

I was hoping to sift through the pile to get the Rudy's BBQ blimp but apparently slipping and getting stabbed by rebar does not, in fact, get you a free pound of cutter's choice brisket.  

On 3/10/2024 at 11:20 AM, jimmyjazz said:

The only Riverside venue I can think of that might have hosted Pantera would be The Back Room.  Also, Austin Opera House was on Academy drive, near Riverside & South Congress.

My first Pantera show was at The Back Room and is was fucking insane.  I have never seen so much black leather in one place.  I can still smell the odorous heat coming out of that place on that night.  It was the wildest I have ever seen TBR and I saw probably a hundred shows there.

Also there is a documentary on The Back Room coming out: Bloodied and Bruised.

17 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

My first Pantera show was at The Back Room

Jesus Maria...I lived on Royal Crest a block from Riverside back in the early 90's, and that place scared the shit out of me.  I was a regular at Emo's on 6th, but Back Room was too sketchy for me.

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Jesus Maria...I lived on Royal Crest a block from Riverside back in the early 90's, and that place scared the shit out of me.  I was a regular at Emo's on 6th, but Back Room was too sketchy for me.

Man, I went to a ton of shows there.  Grab a pitcher on the other side, play some pool (trying not to get hustled) and then head to the stage for the bands.

My band even played there once.  We were too pop/alt/whatever.  Sound was fantastic, though.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I went to a ton of shows there.  Grab a pitcher on the other side, play some pool (trying not to get hustled) and then head to the stage for the bands.

My band even played there once.  We were too pop/alt/whatever.  Sound was fantastic, though.

Yeah, I probably built it up too much in my head.

I got close to going once to see White Zombie for the La Sexorcisto Tour, but I chickened out.  That whole area freaked me out at night.  We heard gunshots seemingly nightly.

Ironically, back then dirty 6th was relatively safe, so I was either seeing shows there at Emo's/Jelly Club/Backstreet, etc., or further west at Liberty Lunch, and Electric Lounge...or if I was really feeling frisky I'd brave going off S. Congress to the Austin Opera House.

55 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Emo's/Jelly Club/Backstreet, etc., or further west at Liberty Lunch, and Electric Lounge...or if I was really feeling frisky I'd brave going off S. Congress to the Austin Opera House.

I played Emo's once (SXSW), Jelly Club maybe a half dozen times, Backstreet I don't remember, Liberty Lunch once, and Electric Lounge 9 billion times.  They have a reunion show coming up soon.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I played Emo's once (SXSW), Jelly Club maybe a half dozen times, Backstreet I don't remember, Liberty Lunch once, and Electric Lounge 9 billion times.  They have a reunion show coming up soon.

Not sure what the name of your band was, but based on your post, I'd be shocked if I never saw you play.

Did you every know a guy named Edmo?  Not me, but a good friend who was way more memorable.

Backstreet was an "underground" club around the corner from Emo's on 7th Street that had no lights...just lasers.

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, I probably built it up too much in my head.

I got close to going once to see White Zombie for the La Sexorcisto Tour, but I chickened out.  That whole area freaked me out at night.  We heard gunshots seemingly nightly.

Ironically, back then dirty 6th was relatively safe, so I was either seeing shows there at Emo's/Jelly Club/Backstreet, etc., or further west at Liberty Lunch, and Electric Lounge...or if I was really feeling frisky I'd brave going off S. Congress to the Austin Opera House.

I saw some great shows at the Austin Opera House. 

On 3/12/2024 at 11:30 AM, jimmyjazz said:

It seemed random to me.  I saw Pink Floyd (minus Roger Waters, and nobody missed him) -- the sound was fantastic.

I saw both nights of those shows and the sound was the best I ever heard there. Used to have a recording of one of them and it was one of my better attempts to record a show. 

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

I saw some great shows at the Austin Opera House. 

Ministry on January 26th, 1990 with KMFDM, and the Austin band Skate Nigs was the craziest show I've ever been too, or seen video of.

It was my freshman year, and I can honestly say that show changed my life.  

• 2 weeks later...