College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

On 4/3/2019 at 9:07 AM, Brian Fantana said:

TCU is a hopeless pit of despair for any basketball coach. The environment is terrible as is the fan support. Good for him for getting out of that mess.

And also lol @ UCLA fans that thought they were going to get any better than this wet fart hire.

Not necessarily true anymore.  New, much-improved facility, a lot more money (and attention) invested in the program from the AD/school admin perspective, and renewed fan support/interest after Dixon's three years at the helm.  They're far from blueblood status, but they're not a cellar dweller anymore either.  Middle tier at this point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Not necessarily true anymore.  New, much-improved facility, a lot more money (and attention) invested in the program from the AD/school admin perspective, and renewed fan support/interest after Dixon's three years at the helm.  They're far from blueblood status, but they're not a cellar dweller anymore either.  Middle tier at this point.

The much improved facility with the most hideous basketball floor every designed?

He probably left because the new floor was triggering his epileptic seizures...and he doesn't even have epilepsy!

Djcf46lWwAArjEn.png

• Haha 1

So what our $9.95ers are saying is the buyout may be closer to $10 mil.  If Dixon's current salary is $3.5-$4 mil, we clearly are going to have to be paying him more, so let's say $5 mil.  If it is a 5 year deal, and we have to throw $10 mil more at it, that's a $7mil average.  If we are going to pay that, we may wait until after UVA gets bounced and throw that (or more) at Bennett and make him say no.  

25 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So what our $9.95ers are saying is the buyout may be closer to $10 mil.  If Dixon's current salary is $3.5-$4 mil, we clearly are going to have to be paying him more, so let's say $5 mil.  If it is a 5 year deal, and we have to throw $10 mil more at it, that's a $7mil average.  If we are going to pay that, we may wait until after UVA gets bounced and throw that (or more) at Bennett and make him say no.  

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but Jamie's dad is really sick, and they are from L.A., so maybe Jamie is really pushing for this.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

25 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Why no UCLA interest in Beard? Has he sworn off the West Coast completely?

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I did not see that coming. Mullin had finally gotten St. John's to look respectable. I think Bobby would do really well there.

That account is a lot of speculation and rumors and Mullin is not out (yet).  But Hurley seems like an odd fit in Arizona and would likely do very well at SJU.

Edited by Don Johnson

48 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

The much improved facility with the most hideous basketball floor every designed?

He probably left because the new floor was triggering his epileptic seizures...and he doesn't even have epilepsy!

Djcf46lWwAArjEn.png

Oregon: hold my beer. 

oregon-floor-660x361.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Why no UCLA interest in Beard? Has he sworn off the West Coast completely?

I'm just repeating what I've heard, but apparently the due diligence revealed something that made him untouchable.  No idea what that is, and don't know if it's true, but that is what I've heard.

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm just repeating what I've heard, but apparently the due diligence revealed something that made him untouchable.  No idea what that is, and don't know if it's true, but that is what I've heard.

Interesting considering y'all just publicly offered $48M to John Calipari...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pops said:

Oregon: hold my beer. 

oregon-floor-660x361.jpg

As opposed to Nebraska, which is offering their fans  the chance to vote for their choice of the following groundbreaking and not at all similar court designs:

5ca257f70b1c6.image.jpg?resize=750,403

5ca257f72acfa.image.jpg?resize=750,403

5ca257f7444e0.image.jpg?resize=750,404

5ca257f7589e3.image.jpg?resize=750,404

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-releases-new-basketball-court-options-for-fan-vote/article_e107b699-834f-583a-b567-e0764b3ac501.html#4

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Djcf46lWwAArjEn.png

I dig it... even if I can't see the fucking sailboat!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

As opposed to Nebraska, which is offering their fans  the chance to vote for their choice of the following groundbreaking and not at all similar court designs:

5ca257f70b1c6.image.jpg?resize=750,403

5ca257f72acfa.image.jpg?resize=750,403

5ca257f7444e0.image.jpg?resize=750,404

5ca257f7589e3.image.jpg?resize=750,404

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-releases-new-basketball-court-options-for-fan-vote/article_e107b699-834f-583a-b567-e0764b3ac501.html#4

Give me number one, get rid of the pound gbr, the @ and get the fuck off my lawn. 

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

He’s clean? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

16 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Seth Davis, I believe it was, is quoted as saying he knew for a fact Beard was contacted by UCLA.  Apparently he indicated no interest as they moved on.

Story checks out.

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Deal for Dixon may be dead.  Major donor apparently pulled his dough after feeling like he was mislead by the AD.  Guerrero will be out if this thing implodes.  He should be anyway.

Shades of the Tennessee football coaching hire a few years back. 

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Calipari is squeaky clean, but Beard is dirty.   So they went after the pristine Coach Cal but had to tell Chris Beard no because he's not acceptable

• Like 1

So two coaches we have all discussed as guys we wouldn't be mad about if we hired in Buzz and Mussleman are off the table, Curious what realistic options the Horns will have next year when we can Shaka? Beard isn't happening so i'm really stumped on where CDC would look that would be regarded as a HR hire.

16 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Beard isn't happening so i'm really stumped on where CDC would look that would be regarded as a HR hire.

Don't know if there is a home run hire available unless Billy Donovan gets jettisoned by OKC. It might have to be another diamond in the rough type, with the hope that CDC and whoever is in charge of a search has a better eye for coaching talent than Patterson and his cronies.

The Musselman hire is interesting from a timing standpoint. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but he built that Nevada team on transfers, and that roster is about to go through a full reset. We don't really know what EM is like as a program maintainer, and that's why I was hesistant about him last season when we were discussing coaching changes.

Edited by Machinator

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The Musselman hire is interesting from a timing standpoint. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but he built that Nevada team on transfers, and that roster is about to go through a full reset. We don't really know what EM is like as a program maintainer, and that's why I was hesistant about him last season when we were discussing coaching changes.

Might be wrong, but Eric Musselman at Arky seems like a poor fit...... EM just seems like a better fit for the west coast or a metropolitan area.

Thought UCLA or Cal might be possibilities. Still wonder if LSU needs a new coach....... EM has coached there before as an assistant.

The Arky chest thumping over the last few days, with talk of $7+ million annual salary offers and inside scoops from "a billionaire close friend of Chris Beard" who says Beard is ready to return AK, has been amusing.  Presumably they'll be quiet now. 

Edited by Dirk X West

Musselman is a bitch and started showing his ass the end of this season. I think his schtick will get old at arky quick. And if his wife thinks Logan Utah is so racist she's scared to take her daughter to games there I'm sure she will love Fayetteville. 

Wonder if they had her write his contract on his chest in marker?  

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition