Ranking the Texas FBS Programs - Week 6

closetojumping

The state of Texas currently has 12 FBS programs and the reigning FCS national champion in Sam Houston State. I figured it would be a fun exercise to check out how they’re all doing this year and put a ranking on it. 

SMU and UTSA are 5-0. SMU barely skated by La Tech and beat TCU in Fort Worth. UTSA has played no one and has a great shot to go undefeated. Writers at IT and @golfclap are no doubt masturbating furiously to the notion of Traylor getting a better job at a bigger program so that if he wins there, they can then wait for the next Texas loss to declare the administration idiots for not hiring him after his second year coaching at UTSA. 

Texas, UTEP, UH, Tech and Baylor are all 4-1. We all know Texas has played well outside of the asswhipping handed to them by Arkansas and a panicking Hudson Card. UTEP is the worst 4-1 team in the country with a hilariously weak schedule. Tech somehow beat WVU and has a win over UH but looked like a jr high team against UT. UH is actually decent compared to expectations. Baylor beat an overrated Iowa State team at home and has otherwise done nothing and will finish the year 7-5. 

Sam Houston State is 4-0. 

Then there are the also-rans. Texas State is 1-3 including a loss to Incarnate Word. They should probably just shut down the program. Rice is a surging 2-3. TCU is 2-2 with losses to two good teams. Texas ATM is 3-2 with wins over juggernauts Kent State, CU, and New Mexico. They’ve lost to middling Miss State at home and to a good Arkansas team at a neutral field. North Texas is 1-3 barreling down the bullet train path to 1-11. 

So here’s how I’m shaping my Texas Top 13 as of right now:

1) Texas 4-1

2) SMU 5-0

3) Texas Tech 4-1

4) UTSA 5-0

5) UH 4-1

6) Sam Houston State 4-0

7) TCU 2-2

8 ) Baylor 4-1

9) UTEP 4-1

10) Texas ATM 3-2

11) Rice 2-3

12) North Texas 1-3

13) Texas State 1-3

Anybody got it any different? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

FWIW, Sagarin has it like this right now (overall ranking in parentheses):

1. Texas (10)
  2. SMU (22)
  3. Texas A&M (29)
  4. Baylor (34)
  5. TCU (37)
  6. Texas Tech (48)
  7. Houston (63)
  8. UTSA (72)
  9. Sam Houston State (94) (#6 in FCS)
  10. Incarnate Word (135)
  11. North Texas (141)
  12. Stephen F. Austin (142)
  13. UTEP (146)
  14. Rice (159)
  15. Texas State (160)

Today I learned that Sagarin fucking LOVES us right now. He's got our SOS at #26.

Edited by tokamak
  • Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I haven't watched much football this year, but you really think in a head to head game UTSA would beat TCU, TAMU, and Baylor? If that is reality then Traylor really should be in line for a bigger job.

UTSA beat Illinois. And I laughed. 

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So here’s how I’m shaping my Texas Top 13 as of right now:

1) Texas 4-1

2) SMU 5-0

3) Texas Tech 4-1

4) UTSA 5-0

5) UH 4-1

6) Sam Houston State 4-0

7) TCU 2-2

8 ) Baylor 4-1

9) UTEP 4-1

10) Texas ATM 3-2

11) Rice 2-3

12) North Texas 1-3

13) Texas State 1-3

Anybody got it any different? 

I'd take aggy over SHSU and UTEP straight up, but no one else. How they were ranked #5 preseason with a rebuilt OL and freshmen QBs is mind-boggling. They should now be unranked...finally. Fuck aggy

I saw a line this morning of Bama -14.5 against the ags in CS this weekend. I’m assuming that’s the end of the first quarter line? I can’t even imagine a plausible score in that game that would cover that spread. Other than something goofy like atm scoring a couple of garbage TDs late to make it 42-28 or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

I assume the entire point of this post was to rank aggy behind UTEP in the rankings and I’m here for it and it’s very very funny.

if we are being truthful aggy slides in somewhere in a pack with TCU, tech and Baylor, being UT and SMU and ahead of everyone else. UH is a cut below the aggy tier and a cut above everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, tokamak said:

FWIW, Sagarin has it like this right now (overall ranking in parentheses):

1. Texas (10)
  2. SMU (22)
  3. Texas A&M (29)
  4. Baylor (34)
  5. TCU (37)
  6. Texas Tech (48)
  7. Houston (63)
  8. UTSA (72)
  9. Sam Houston State (94) (#6 in FCS)
  10. Incarnate Word (135)
  11. North Texas (141)
  12. Stephen F. Austin (142)
  13. UTEP (146)
  14. Rice (159)
  15. Texas State (160)

Today I learned that Sagarin fucking LOVES us right now. He's got our SOS at #26.

The Massey composite (a shitton of random ranking systems averaged together) has us at #9.

ESPN FPI has us at #8. Bill Connely's SP+ on the other hand has us all the way down at #27 for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, whereiend said:

The Massey composite (a shitton of random ranking systems averaged together) has us at #9.

ESPN FPI has us at #8. Bill Connely's SP+ on the other hand has us all the way down at #27 for whatever reason.

He has a pretty fair waiting on prior years and pre-season shit and it takes a long time to phase out (never totally phase out actually). I bet Clemson is very high comparatively in that one. 

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If we are being truthful aggy slides in somewhere in a pack with TCU, tech and Baylor, being UT and SMU and ahead of everyone else. 

They would not beat TCU or Baylor because they wouldn’t be able to score on those defenses, and I doubt they’d beat Tech. It might be a close game. Aggy’s offense is bad and their defense isn’t particularly good. 

On 10/3/2021 at 9:10 AM, Llogg said:

I haven't watched much football this year, but you really think in a head to head game UTSA would beat TCU, TAMU, and Baylor? If that is reality then Traylor really should be in line for a bigger job.

UTSA beat Memphis, who beat MSU, who just beat ATM. My post was half kidding, but I can make a defensible argument for having UTSA above them. Baylor plays excellent defense and TCU will be good when they get some guys back who are about to be back on defense. A healthy TCU is better than ATM and ATM vs Baylor would be a toss-up.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, Sabalo said:

UTSA beat Illinois. And I laughed. 

UTSA also beat Memphis and a decent MTSU team probably makes a bowl. UTSA is actually a decent team, really.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, Red Five said:

I saw a line this morning of Bama -14.5 against the ags in CS this weekend. I’m assuming that’s the end of the first quarter line? I can’t even imagine a plausible score in that game that would cover that spread. Other than something goofy like atm scoring a couple of garbage TDs late to make it 42-28 or something.

17.5 now. I don't see ATM scoring more than 10, and I don't see Bama scoring less than 42. I don't have a bookie, but if I did, this would be the big one.

11 hours ago, slorch said:

Tech needs 2 wins to become bowl eligible...

and might not make it.

Well, all you have to do is beat Kansas and one other team out of a bunch of other teams that look like you. The WVU win stunned me and I watched it for most of the game. There's something to work with there. KSU, OSU and Baylor are all more or less meh. OSU is undefeated but I've watched them and don't see it. They needed a terrible officiating call against a bad Boise team to get that win. Sanders is a turnover machine still and they don't have the NFL talent sprinkled on the roster that they've had in the past. Those are all winnable games. Obviously ISU and OU would be surprising wins.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, all you have to do is beat Kansas and one other team out of a bunch of other teams that look like you. The WVU win stunned me and I watched it for most of the game. There's something to work with there. KSU, OSU and Baylor are all more or less meh. OSU is undefeated but I've watched them and don't see it. They needed a terrible officiating call against a bad Boise team to get that win. Sanders is a turnover machine still and they don't have the NFL talent sprinkled on the roster that they've had in the past. Those are all winnable games. Obviously ISU and OU would be surprising wins.

That's the kicker ain't it?

I saw an abysmal start vs UH. Slow start against an overmatched FIU squad, a close call with SFA that should have been a cupcake route, a complete abortion against UT, and then the best half of football of the season by Tech.  Go in to the lockerroom up 17-0 on the road.  Then halftime adjustments and coaching influence take over...

WVU scores on 3 consecutive possessions in the 3Q while Tech starts off with consecutive 3-and-outs.   Are you fucking serious Clark?

There are waaaaaaay more signs that Tech is a talented but shitty team than I care to see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 8:59 AM, closetojumping said:

The state of Texas currently has 12 FBS programs and the reigning FCS national champion in Sam Houston State. I figured it would be a fun exercise to check out how they’re all doing this year and put a ranking on it. 

Man, what a difference a couple weeks make. Texas tears off an impressive 2 game losing streak, UTSA keeps winning, and the Aggie team that was QB-less and left for dead is looking solid. 

1) Aggies 5-2

2) Baylor 6-1

3) SMU 6-0

4) UTSA 7-0

5) Texas 4-3

6) UH 5-1

7) TCU 3-3

8: Texas Tech 5-2

9) UTEP 6-1  (projecting a win based on 3rd qtr lead)  

10) Rice 2-4

11) Sam Houston State 5-0

12) Texas State 2-4

13) North Texas 1-5

UTSA ranked above Texas?  What the hell is the world coming to.   

The Top 25 will probably have A&M, BU, SMU, and UTSA ranked. (It would be the first ranking every for UTSA) ...and we will be unranked.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
magic 8 ranking