NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

40 minutes ago, d2o said:

My fault, 2nd yr.   Still a great deal.   They clearly for whatever reason were done with Sabonis (and Turner too) so getting a very good young player that might turn out to be great is a big win.   Additional tradable assets in Hield and (maybe) Tristan are nice too.   They only gave up a 2nd too.   I like it for the Pacers much better.   They still have some work to do but I like it.

Maybe they arent done with Turner after all.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I don't really follow these teams so I'm a bit perplexed..... Kings still have Bagley?  LOL.  Pacers gonna trade Brogdon?  They just drafted Duarte, who looks like a solid player.  This is a weirder trade for Indy IMO.  I imagine it's salary dump of some sort.

Tyrese can ball and Pacers will have cap space to flesh out the front court to some degree. Hield is also a nice piece on a decent contract that maybe needs a change of scenery. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Haliburton is in 2nd year of his deal and I like him but the Pacers still too many guards and now they have less front court.  Sabonis is the best player in the deal, but Pacers got cheaper.  I get it, the tank is on and they save some money, but it's still a weird deal with Duarte there.  I don't get either of these teams.  Sacramento is consistently one of the worst managed teams in the league, so..... whatever.  Feel bad for Sabonis..... although is Sacramento really worse than Indiana.  I'll have to think.  Both sound awful.

Sacramento is worse

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

ummmm, someone explain?

1169197873_Screenshot2022-02-08102531.jpg.f5f94bba73605e6e0e008022cfe5a96f.jpg

Pelicans have a $17M trade exception. So it's likely 2 separate transactions reported as one. Nance and Snell fit into the trade exception, and the other 4 Pelican players match McCollum's salary enough to complete that transaction.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

There is something to the Thunder being a dumping ground for contracts.   They have to get to the salary floor one way or another.

Correct.  If a team needs to dump money, the Thunder is one of the few teams with the space to take it on.  Likely in exchange for, you guessed it, future draft picks.....

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Tyrese can ball and Pacers will have cap space to flesh out the front court to some degree. Hield is also a nice piece on a decent contract that maybe needs a change of scenery. 

I'm stunned at this trade - I can't believe Sacramento actually sent out their best young talent for...not much.  Oh wait yeah I can.

38 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I'm stunned at this trade - I can't believe Sacramento actually sent out their best young talent for...not much.  Oh wait yeah I can.

3 years of Sabonis at 20 per is nothing to sneeze at. 

But... what are they even capable of doing the next 2 years? Agree with @Llogg they're just rearranging deck chairs.

And - as for nice pieces to put around Sabonis - a high volume 40%+ 3 point shooter would have been nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure why everyone is hating on Sacramento's side of the trade.  They get Sabonis who is an all-star big who can average 20+ and 12 and throw in 5 assists for good measure (with good efficiency). He is still only 25 and has his best years in front of him. 

Haliburton is good, but their roster with him, Fox and Hield (overrated IMO) had some redundancy.  It's possible that Haliburton never becomes as good as Sabonis is RIGHT NOW.  

Sacramento would sure be looking better right now if they had drafted Doncic, SGA or one of the Bridges instead of Bagley.  Oof.  Terrible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Not sure why everyone is hating on Sacramento's side of the trade.  They get Sabonis who is an all-star big who can average 20+ and 12 and throw in 5 assists for good measure (with good efficiency). He is still only 25 and has his best years in front of him. 

Haliburton is good, but their roster with him, Fox and Hield (overrated IMO) had some redundancy.  It's possible that Haliburton never becomes as good as Sabonis is RIGHT NOW.  

Sacramento would sure be looking better right now if they had drafted Doncic, SGA or one of the Bridges instead of Bagley.  Oof.  Terrible. 

They chose Fox over Halliburton which seems silly .   Especially when you factor in Fox getting 30M/yr while Halliburton is still on his rookie deal.

37 minutes ago, HookEm said:

[StatMuse]

Tyrese Haliburton last 24 games:

17.3 PPG

9.4 APG

2.6 TOV

47/43/87%

He is a career 41.1% shooter from three.

Look away Kings fans.

Also he's being paid next to nothing. Should have shipped Fox.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Not sure who this dude is.  Doesn't look like he breaks a lot of stuff, but if this was true, it would probably take a third team or the Nets would have to trade Joe Harris, which maybe they're fine with.  

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Sabonis is the best player in the deal, so they got that.  Haliburton may be the best talent and have higher upside..... time will tell.  I like Haliburton, but the Pacers have a lot of back court pieces, but maybe this is the best deal they could find and they obviously wanted and needed to break up Turner and Sabonis.   Otherwise, the other pieces are just moving around furniture.  Haliburton is super cheap though..... that's a big piece.

Both of these franchises have been flailing for awhile, so there's a likelihood that nothing impactful happens other than being able to compare the two young stars over time.

For Sacramento I guess it depends on what they could have gotten for Fox. I saw a Julius Randle for Fox trade speculated earlier in the week. Would you rather have:  

De’Aaron Fox + Domantas Sabonis (or)

Tyrese Halliburton + Julius Randle

I think I would go with the former. I just REALLY like Sabonis’ game.

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

For Sacramento I guess it depends on what they could have gotten for Fox. I saw a Julius Randle for Fox trade speculated earlier in the week. Would you rather have:  

De’Aaron Fox + Domantas Sabonis (or)

Tyrese Halliburton + Julius Randle

I think I would go with the former. I just REALLY like Sabonis’ game.

Fox has declined as a player the last 3 years.  He's a quagmire at this point.  Looking at the contracts and realizing that 29m AAV for Randle is too much..... Fox at 34m AAV over the next 4 years is ludicrous unless he becomes way, way better.  I'll take the latter.

37 minutes ago, Kermit said:

It’s not just this trade, it’s everything since 2002. They are the worst franchise in the NBA, and are in the running for worst franchise in professional sports. 

OKC is giving them a serious run for their money. Seriously how many non-lottery picks does a team need, when they draft the same player every year. Some athletic guy that has little basketball skills.

Talk about getting pissed on. Giannis with 44/14/8 on 17/20 shooting against the Lakeshow. 

Me thinks LeBron's window of winning another title as the best player on his team is over. 

Granted I'm not sure he was the best player on his team the last time around....

Wiz gonna give him a quarter of a billion dollars?

Lmfao

Well the wizards have already given him and wall some super max platinum double Diamond deal that seems like it was last week.

You’re on the outside looking in of a 10 team playoff

You have zero players on your roster under 25 that’s considered franchise talent

The guy has done absolutely nothing

Gonna be 29 at the start of next season

He’ll be34 making 49 million dollars and considered one of the worst contracts in the league

I say give it to him, then go through 2 more GM changes between now and 2027 because of those reasons

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

3CFC79A1-3A33-4865-B583-23180638F3DA.jpeg

He's outstanding and has been since about year 2-3 of his HC career.  Been underrated because the Heatles only won 2, but really that's because Dirk pushed in Lebron's shit and Lebron no showed in year 1.  By year 4, they just were facing a better and hungrier team and Wade's knees were done.

25 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Harden for Simmons straight up seems fair to me. Both have a lot of questions surrounding them for completely different reasons. Neither wants to be on their current team, and it gives both teams a much better chance to improve themselves.  I'd like to see it happen. 

Not sure if the Nets will feel this way, but Harden, with the new rules, and his new body isn't quite what he used to be...... He's still an insane offensive force at times, but the consistency is gone.  Amazing what happens when you can't literally jump into defenders and get 2 FT's.

That seems extremely expensive to get Harden. If Simmons has indicated he is willing to play for the Nets and will do his best, there's no reason for the Nets to get more than 1 of those guys in the trade, if that. 

Because Simmons can’t score, and when kyrie can’t play home playoff games, outside of KD, scoring isn’t going to come from whoever played last night Vs the Celtics. Whatever that was

Nets would be smart to stay in that 5-10 range to get as many games with kyrie as possible. Suppose if they end up 9th, it’s a win or go home home game lol

50 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

That seems extremely expensive to get Harden. If Simmons has indicated he is willing to play for the Nets and will do his best, there's no reason for the Nets to get more than 1 of those guys in the trade, if that. 

Russillo made a good point on this yesterday. And before I looked at it this way I would have agreed with you. Brooklyn basically has all the leverage because at least their guy is playing. Simmons doesn't want to play for Philly - they have to trade him. The Nets may want to trade Harden but at the end of the day he's still playing for them.

So I think it will take more than just a straight up swap. Even if it includes pieces from both sides and winds up looking even I'm guessing it will be pieces that BKN is willing to ship and specifically wants from PHI.

And I agree with you. Make it happen regardless. I'm not sure if it improves the Nets' title chances - but I am sure that I'm pretty over watching the current iteration and think it would be entertaining. 

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Tanking the rest of the season and banking on having the most cap space.

They are for sure doing this, but NAH seems like the kind of guy you keep around and see if he develops into a legit player,  Young, good size, decent shooter, decent defender, and on a cheap rookie deal. Those are the kind of guys Portland should be hanging onto, not dumping for a second round pick. And I get them wanting to create as much cap space as possible, but who the hell are they going to sign? Free agent class is crap and nobody is going there anyway.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They are for sure doing this, but NAH seems like the kind of guy you keep around and see if he develops into a legit player,  Young, good size, decent shooter, decent defender, and on a cheap rookie deal. Those are the kind of guys Portland should be hanging onto, not dumping for a second round pick. And I get them wanting to create as much cap space as possible, but who the hell are they going to sign? Free agent class is crap and nobody is going there anyway.

You have an interesting thought on what decent means. .378/.311 splits are bad. He appears to be a JAG defensively.

Re: the Haliburton/Sabonis deal - another big factor is by trading Tyrese SAC waives the ability to offer him the rookie extension - which is hard for these guys to turn down even somewhere like Sacramento. 

So unless they were 100% certain Tyrese wouldn't resign there (which it's basically impossible to be certain of that since it wouldn't be for 2.5 years) they are throwing away any hope of having him for the first 9 years of his career. 

And don't tell me Sabonis is resigning there.