NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Brooklyn adds Seth Curry and Drummond and wins by 25. 

Look out. 

Against the Kings... At home, with LMA returning to the lineup.  Probably need more data before we get hyped on those 2, but they were big contributors. Seth is definitely an upgrade over unhappy Harden. 

I'm happy to see Harden skipping the All-star game and letting Jarrett Allen in.  We all know he deserves it. 

27 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Against the Kings... At home, with LMA returning to the lineup.  Probably need more data before we get hyped on those 2, but they were big contributors. Seth is definitely an upgrade over unhappy Harden. 

I'm happy to see Harden skipping the All-star game and letting Jarrett Allen in.  We all know he deserves it. 

Dude. They had lost 11 fucking straight games. Some of those with both Harden and Kyrie on the floor. I think it's a pretty decent data point. 

12 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'll say it.  Second best rookie so far:

Giddey is a nice player but come the fuck on. He's not better than Mobley or Barnes, who are actually key contributors to playoff teams vs. filling up empty stat sheets on the USS Tankaway. Cade Cunningham is also better than Giddey.  And Kuminga is an absolute animal who hasn't really had a chance to shine until the past couple of weeks. He's doing it on a team competing for a ring, too. I'd take every one of them over Giddey. Also, Franz Wagner is having a nice little rookie season himself. He's a much more complete player and I'd probably take him ahead of Giddey also.

Don't get me wrong, Giddey does a lot of really good things on the court and he's got excellent court vision and IQ, but he's a marginal (being kind here) defender and his shot is a disaster. I'm talking a complete abortion, tear it down to the studs and rebuild it from the ground up, bad. He needs to be locked in a gym with a shooting coach for a year. Again, I like the kid and he's super young so he's got a ton of room to grow, but ain't no way in hell he's the second best rookie in this class. 

• Hook 'Em 2

He's also getting double digit assists on a lineup that is borderline NBA guys.  Last night was Darius Bazley, Trey Mann, Aaron Wiggins, and Isiah Roby.  With the exception of Mann (a rookie), none of those guys would make a playoff roster.  

Dude was a weird shot but he's only 19.  Barnes has been better than I thought he'd be but over the last 10 games or so, Giddey is 17/8/8.  That's basically Ben Simmons but with a better shot and no Kardashian.  

19 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He's also getting double digit assists on a lineup that is borderline NBA guys.  Last night was Darius Bazley, Trey Mann, Aaron Wiggins, and Isiah Roby.  With the exception of Mann (a rookie), none of those guys would make a playoff roster.  

Dude was a weird shot but he's only 19.  Barnes has been better than I thought he'd be but over the last 10 games or so, Giddey is 17/8/8.  That's basically Ben Simmons but with a better shot and no Kardashian.  

No Kardashian…yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Giddey is a nice player but come the fuck on. He's not better than Mobley or Barnes, who are actually key contributors to playoff teams vs. filling up empty stat sheets on the USS Tankaway. Cade Cunningham is also better than Giddey.  And Kuminga is an absolute animal who hasn't really had a chance to shine until the past couple of weeks. He's doing it on a team competing for a ring, too. I'd take every one of them over Giddey. Also, Franz Wagner is having a nice little rookie season himself. He's a much more complete player and I'd probably take him ahead of Giddey also.

Don't get me wrong, Giddey does a lot of really good things on the court and he's got excellent court vision and IQ, but he's a marginal (being kind here) defender and his shot is a disaster. I'm talking a complete abortion, tear it down to the studs and rebuild it from the ground up, bad. He needs to be locked in a gym with a shooting coach for a year. Again, I like the kid and he's super young so he's got a ton of room to grow, but ain't no way in hell he's the second best rookie in this class. 

Jalen Suggs is better too. 

edit- and Davion Mitchell

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Somebody has to score points and somebody has to get assists in an NBA game no matter how shitty the players are or how bad the team is. Plenty of players put up good numbers on bad teams. You know who else is averaging 17/8/8 on a losing team and can't shoot a lick? I'll give you hint, he used to play for OKC too.

And Ben Simmons is a terrible comp because he is an elite defender. Giddey is well.... not in the same fucking league. Again, I like Giddey and I think he is a nice player but there are a bunch of guys in this rookie class who are playing really well and quite frankly better than he is.

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Jalen Suggs is better too. 

Yeah... I forgot Suggs. He got off to a rough start but seems to have found his footing a bit. I probably like him better than Giddey also.  

I'm also a Spurs homer but I wouldn't trade Josh Primo for Giddey either. I was really down on the pick when they seemingly reached for him, but he's going to be a very good one. 

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Harden says Philly was his first choice even before being traded to Brooklyn last year.

Lmao

Everyone thought he was going to Philly for Simmons on the day of the trade. Word was that broke ass Ferntits (rockets owner Tilman Fertita) put the stop to it bc of his hatred of Morey. 
so, this seems plausible. 

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

@Dutchrudder you totally nailed it though. Appreciate your takes. 

Is this some sarcasm?  I never said anything about the locker room. I'm sure everyone there is happy Harden is gone, nobody wants a quitter on their team. 

Next 2 games for the Nets are @NYK and home vs the Bullets, and then they are off for the break.. Neither of those are tough games, but it would do a lot for their morale if they win both going into the AS break.  I still don't think we will have a good idea of what this team is capable of before the playoffs. They have a lot of work to do that can't be glossed over in an interview. 

20 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
16 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:
Everyone thought he was going to Philly for Simmons on the day of the trade. Word was that broke ass Ferntits (rockets owner Tilman Fertita) put the stop to it bc of his hatred of Morey. 
so, this seems plausible. 

Fuck Harden and Morey. I hope Philly fans tar and feather their fake asses.

Would you want to play for Ferntits? I can’t blame anyone for running the other way from that clown show. 

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Would the Nets rather have Seth, Simmons, and that filler piece or Jarett fucking Allen, Caris fucking Levert, that other filler piece, and all their draft picks? Fucking imbeciles. If they just had those guys, Kyrie, and KD they've won a title.

Said it when it went down.  Even more true today.

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Would the Nets rather have Seth, Simmons, and that filler piece or Jarett fucking Allen, Caris fucking Levert, that other filler piece, and all their draft picks? Fucking imbeciles. If they just had those guys, Kyrie, and KD they've won a title.

I have been paying attention to Caris LeVert since he joined the Cavs, and I'm not that impressed with his game. Seems like a volume shooter without anything special in his arsenal.  He needs about 15 shots to score 12 points off the bench, and he's taking away a lot of shots from Love. Now Love is no KD or Kyrie, so it's not a terrible tradeoff for the Cavs, but if he was stealing 5-10 shots a Night from those 2, it would probably hurt the Nets a bit. 

I expect the Cavs to move him in the off-season or at the trade deadline next year.  an 18m expiring deal should be pretty useful. They may match whatever Sexton gets as an RFA and keep him as the future backup guard for the team instead of LeVert. His age fits well with the future of the teams core. That may work out well if Sexton doesn't get a stupid expensive offer.

Jarret Allen on the other hand would have been a great deal of help for the Nets against some of the big Centers of the East, Giannis and Embiid being the most obvious ones. Him and Kyrie together in the PnR would be fun to watch too. 

Hahahha what the fuck is this law??? I had no idea it only applies to Nets players at home, and not visitors. Wow, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. 

"As a player unvaccinated against COVID-19, Irving may not play at the Barclays Center because of the mandate. However, a player from a different market who is unvaccinated may play in New York City.

"This law in New York, the oddity of it to me is that it only applies to home players," Silver said. "I think if ultimately that rule is about protecting people who are in the arena, it just doesn't quite make sense to me that an away player who is unvaccinated can play in Barclays but the home player can't. To me, that's a reason they should take a look at that ordinance."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33303419/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-says-nyc-covid-19-vaccination-rule-keeping-kyrie-irving-playing-home-quite-make-sense-me

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

Well, they had to pay KD and Kyrie's buddy DeAndre, and guarantee him a starting spot. I'm sure he'll come up huge for Brooklyn in the postseason.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Llogg said:

lmao.  levert is a fucking jag.

3 hours ago, Llogg said:

By player, it's probably a wash or actually improvement.  Levert's just a dude and Curry probably means more to the Nets as currently constructed.  Allen's a loss but Drummond is an pretty decent big.  I'd much rather have Allen who doesn't need the ball to impact the game but he's also making 20m vs 2m.  However, it's all the picks and pick swaps they gave up which doesn't allow them to acquire other pieces.  This is a great example of teams not telling their foundational star, no. 

KD wanted Harden and as fantastic as Harden is on the offensive end, he requires a narrow system of ISO ball to really be an offensive God.  Philly now inherits this issue.  If you don't or won't play in a more free flowing and movement based system for KD because you want to dribble the ball for 15 seconds then what the fuck is Embiid going to do with him?  No idea and maybe Doc can scheme better and get more buy in from James than Nash did.  I'm sure the Kyrie side show didn't help, but I'll say this..... understanding sunk cost, the Nets did okay with unloading him.  They probably are a better team if Covid wasn't a concern..... alas, it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

Brooklyn probably would have won last year if they were healthy.* They'll probably win this year if healthy (and Covid restrictions continue to go the way they appear to be going). They brought in superstars and are thus beholden to what those superstars want, hence DeAndre. That's just how it works in today's NBA. Bringing in Harden was a big risk, but I'd say they recovered pretty nicely from it. Hard to really fault the front office for much.

*Always a huge if for that roster, but it's not like Carl LeVert would help in the reliability department.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Silver is saying he doesn't understand the NYC law that says Irving can't play in NYC but an unvaccinated player on another team can play in NYC.

Is this correct, can a non-vaxed player play in NYC?

Yes, same in Cali.   Home players cannot play unvaxxed.   Road players can

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

hmm...that's science-y, I guess.

56 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That’s dumb, and I don’t think highly of anti-vaxxers.

While I agree it seems silly its not because those states do not want to.   Its due to labor law.   States cannot enforce mandates on people who are not employed in that state.  I'm sure I'm not explaining it well but that is the basic premise.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

While I agree it seems silly its not because those states do not want to.   Its due to labor law.   States cannot enforce mandates on people who are not employed in that state.  I'm sure I'm not explaining it well but that is the basic premise.

Hmm. Seems weird because players pay taxes in every state they play in. I guess that doesn't mean you're technically "employed" in that state.