2021-22 Houston Rockets Season Thread: Sucking with a Purpose

BigOrange1

33 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Public execution at that bball court across from Toyota Center if Stone signs Zion to a max deal next year. Ja Morant? Hell yeah Houston has to be a better place to live than Memphis right?

You sound like someone who has either never been to Memphis or never been to Houston.

Just kidding. Softball setup I couldn't resist. Some of my favorite people out up with the urban hellscape that is H-town.

I do wonder which twosome would play better together Smith and Sengun or Holmgren and Sengun. I am thinking Holmgren because he's already playing with a guy at Gonzaga who has a game very similar to Sengun. I'd really like one of the Baylor wings should Brooklyn's pick fall into the lottery. Haven't really been impressed with Banchero, but maybe a strong run in the NCAA's can reignite his draft stock.

28 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Don't care about wins/losses

Jalen Green has really come on since the All Star break.  Usually rookies hit the "wall" and start to suck late in the season.

He got his sucking out of the way and has maybe figured things out.

I don't remember when they showed the graphic, but Green's output went through the roof when he had 50+ touches a game. Either Silas figured it out, or Green has become a lot more assertive. Still don't understand why Gordon is getting 30+ minutes a night, he should be shut down ala Wall.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I do wonder which twosome would play better together Smith and Sengun or Holmgren and Sengun. I am thinking Holmgren because he's already playing with a guy at Gonzaga who has a game very similar to Sengun. I'd really like one of the Baylor wings should Brooklyn's pick fall into the lottery. Haven't really been impressed with Banchero, but maybe a strong run in the NCAA's can reignite his draft stock.

Holmgren has to run around in the shower to get wet. It’s all a crap shoot anyway. Whichever pick they get, hopefully the player ends up the best of the bunch. Just as long as they don’t get bounced down to the #5 pick…

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Just as long as they don’t get bounced down to the #5 pick…

i actually really like aj griffin from duke who is currently being projected around pick #5.  the only guy in the top 5 i'm really out on is jaden ivey and that just has more to do with the fact that the rockets are already guard heavy.  i'd probably rank my top four prospects at the moment as: holmgren, smith, griffin, banchero

I wouldn't worry about Chet getting hurt, unless he puts on 50 pounds like Yao did. He's not going to be the center for the Rockets. Sengun is, with Chet being the help defender, high post player. That should relieve some of the wear and tear on him. Kinda like how Ralph was the high post player with Dream.

@TexArcherand I agree. Don't draft Chet Holmgren. He's not going to be able to put on 55 lbs of good weight and stay healthy. He has NBA bust written all over him.

The Rockets need a rebounding big. I wish the Rockets pushed the Nets to get Jarret Allen from the Harden trade or maybe tried to take Mo Bamba off of the Magic prior to this NBA season. But if the Rockets are gonna draft a rebounding big, take Jalen Duren and don't look back. I think a Duren-Sengun backcourt will work while freeing up Sengun to roam the court more and use his creativity.

14 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

@TexArcherand I agree. Don't draft Chet Holmgren. He's not going to be able to put on 55 lbs of good weight and stay healthy. He has NBA bust written all over him.

The Rockets need a rebounding big. I wish the Rockets pushed the Nets to get Jarret Allen from the Harden trade or maybe tried to take Mo Bamba off of the Magic prior to this NBA season. But if the Rockets are gonna draft a rebounding big, take Jalen Duren and don't look back. I think a Duren-Sengun backcourt will work while freeing up Sengun to roam the court more and use his creativity.

They did get Allen, and promptly traded him for Dante Exum and a 1st round pick. Jabari Smith is the guy you want. Duren will be gone before we pick again, but Walker Kessler is likely there. Smith, Sengun, and Kessler are a great rotation at the 4/5 for the next 10 years.

Edited by HtownHorn

16 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Team Banchero with Coach K’s grandson as DD. 

• Haha 2

Holmgren was really underwhelming last game and should not be drafted in the top 5, mistake for any team.  He'd be a good 8-15 pick.  Gonzaga bigs are overrated, even Kimme can look good in college but the NBA will eat him alive.

The Banchero guy looks better. Also, keep C Wood for rebound and big man depth 😉

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 winnable games to end the season. Really going to need to dig deep to make sure we only win 2 headed home. 
now a 3 game lead on the thunder. Did anyone else get their 10 day contract in the mail from those guys?  They ain’t winning another game if they can help it. 

My big board would be

1) Smith

2) Holmgren

3) Ivey

4) Banchero

Ivey and Green would be a scary athletic backcourt. If Porter doesn't want to move off the ball to the 3, then let him go. Ivey's athleticism and ability to play the point make him a very tantalizing prospect. I'm close to moving Ivey to #2 over Holmgren.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

My big board would be

1) Smith

2) Holmgren

3) Ivey

4) Banchero

Ivey and Green would be a scary athletic backcourt. If Porter doesn't want to move off the ball to the 3, then let him go. Ivey's athleticism and ability to play the point make him a very tantalizing prospect. I'm close to moving Ivey to #2 over Holmgren.

I've got:

Holmgren

Ivey

Smith

Nobody else.  Do whatever you have to do to get into the top 5. Personally, I would probably trade out of #1 to #2 or #3 if I got that pick and somebody made me a decent offer.  I like Holmgren but he's a walking injury red flag with that build.  Ivey is just so explosive man, that's a different level.  Smith is good. I'd probably be disappointed with him over the other two for about a minute but I can't imagine his floor isn't 3rd best player on a title team? But yeah- I want Holmgren for his ceiling. If he puts it all together and stays healthy any reason why he can't be 80% of KD?  90% maybe?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

i think i'm right there with you.  ivey and green together would be absolutely electric.  there are a lot of good options in the top 4.

mark williams from duke is a guy to potentially think about with the brooklyn pick.

20 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Holmgren was really underwhelming last game and should not be drafted in the top 5, mistake for any team.  He'd be a good 8-15 pick.  Gonzaga bigs are overrated, even Kimme can look good in college but the NBA will eat him alive.

The Banchero guy looks better. Also, keep C Wood for rebound and big man depth 😉

We should base our draft strategy on a single ncaa tournament game. That never backfires. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Too many mock drafts with the Rockets taking Chet. I’m no longer rooting for the first pick. The universe needs to take the Chet decision out of the Rockets’ hands. I’ll gladly take the second or third pick. 

I am almost hoping for 4, just so we don't have to make the Chet, Smith, Banchero decision and we get Ivey.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m still Team Banchero with a preloaded Uber card, but I’d be cool with this. 

I have Banchero 4th. He'll be relegated to playing the four because he can't guard perimeter players, and while he's a very nice player on offense, his negative defense will take away from that offensive value. I'm fine with any of the top four though, but there's a drop off after that, unless you want to roll the dice on Sharpe. 

Chet (if you think his body checks out)

Ivey

Smith

Banchero

• Hook 'Em 1

There's a pretty big six game stretch for the tank coming up starting with Dallas without Luka, two games against a Portland team in full tank mode, one against San Antonio, and two against Sacramento 

Orlando plays OKC tonight, so one of those two has to add another win, and Detroit has one left vs OKC

Portland has the two vs Houston and two vs OKC left, but they don't have anymore left vs Orlando or OKC

7 hours ago, Fud said:

There's a pretty big six game stretch for the tank coming up starting with Dallas without Luka, two games against a Portland team in full tank mode, one against San Antonio, and two against Sacramento 

Orlando plays OKC tonight, so one of those two has to add another win, and Detroit has one left vs OKC

Portland has the two vs Houston and two vs OKC left, but they don't have anymore left vs Orlando or OKC

This is the death part of our schedule where I've been nervous about for a month. We really needed to pile up a few more losses going into this stretch.  It would be so Rockets to go 4-6 down the stretch and end up with the 4th worst record, which, if the lotto balls went bad means that you could end up picking all the way down at 8th spot.  That would be a cruel reward for having to endure the last 2 years that we have. Really need to sack up and go 1-9 so that they can pick no worse than 5th.

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is the death part of our schedule where I've been nervous about for a month. We really needed to pile up a few more losses going into this stretch.  It would be so Rockets to go 4-6 down the stretch and end up with the 4th worst record, which, if the lotto balls went bad means that you could end up picking all the way down at 8th spot.  That would be a cruel reward for having to endure the last 2 years that we have. Really need to sack up and go 1-9 so that they can pick no worse than 5th.

They need to sit Gordon, and play Woods and Porter every minute of every game so Houston gives up 130+ points per game

9 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
23 minutes ago, Fud said:
They need to sit Gordon, and play Woods and Porter every minute of every game so Houston gives up 130+ points per game

Still don't understand why Gordon is on this team.

Just baffling that they didn't want a late first round pick for him which they claimed was on the table.  He'd look really good in Cleveland and Boston.  Boston would have done the deal with us for Gordon they did for the Spurs for White is my understanding.  Hell Gordon and Wall for Westbrook and shit and a 1st should have worked. Then just tell Westbrick he can ride the pine for the next year or agree to a buy out.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just baffling that they didn't want a late first round pick for him which they claimed was on the table.  He'd look really good in Cleveland and Boston.  Boston would have done the deal with us for Gordon they did for the Spurs for White is my understanding.  Hell Gordon and Wall for Westbrook and shit and a 1st should have worked. Then just tell Westbrick he can ride the pine for the next year or agree to a buy out.  

Is there another role model on the team?

I want my young guys to see at least one pro.