2021-22 Houston Rockets Season Thread: Sucking with a Purpose

BigOrange1

• 2 weeks later...

beating Lebron & Westbrook last night would've been so delicious but again Houston was murdered on the rebounds, giving LAL so many more shot attempts.  Houston has to get bigger but they have an obsession with small-ball, get rid of Capela and maybe even Wood.  As the Dallas Cowboys went for defense, the Rockets need to get 2-3 6'10 tough guys.  We can't have a PJ Tucker checking 7 footers every game.  I have a feeling this stupidity can be put on Fertita since Morey is gone.  Who is the mastermind of small ball?

18 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

luckily the 2022 draft is stacked with impact big guys at the top.

3 bigs of the top 5 in this mock draft. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951341-2022-nba-mock-draft-updated-1st-round-predictions

The super talented super skinny Gonzaga player is Porzingas 2.0, but Houston needs some beef.  Jabari Smith and Duren fit the need but Houston will certainly pick a 6-4 to 6-6 perimeter player since the ownership is infatuated with small ball.  Watch them trade Wood and get even softer, with a rebound deficit of 15-20 a game. 

they should trade wood.  he is not part of the long term future and winning games this season goes against the best interest of the franchise.  sengun is the only big on the roster who has secured his spot amongst the core of what this team should be in 2-3 years.  i still have hopes for garuba, but right now he is much more of a project and less of a sure thing than sengun.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

beating Lebron & Westbrook last night would've been so delicious but again Houston was murdered on the rebounds, giving LAL so many more shot attempts.  Houston has to get bigger but they have an obsession with small-ball, get rid of Capela and maybe even Wood.  As the Dallas Cowboys went for defense, the Rockets need to get 2-3 6'10 tough guys.  We can't have a PJ Tucker checking 7 footers every game.  I have a feeling this stupidity can be put on Fertita since Morey is gone.  Who is the mastermind of small ball?

Hate to break this to you..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

btw, the takeaway from last night's game should be that kpj returned to the lineup and put up 22 and 9 on efficient enough numbers and jalen green had his second consecutive efficient scoring outing since missing time due to injury.  not that they lost a close game.  who gives a shit?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/29/2021 at 11:26 AM, BigOrange1 said:

they should trade wood.  he is not part of the long term future and winning games this season goes against the best interest of the franchise.  sengun is the only big on the roster who has secured his spot amongst the core of what this team should be in 2-3 years.  i still have hopes for garuba, but right now he is much more of a project and less of a sure thing than sengun.

And I will win a $500 bet on clutch fans. And get to dunk on all the fucking morons who called me the dumbest human being on earth when I talked about trading Wood about a week after Harden was dealt. 
fucking idiots thought that was dumb and Wood was some sort of foundational piece. Of course those fuckers also thought that team was going to compete for the playoffs and those fuckers also didn’t understand that this was at least a 3 year rebuild (counting last year as year 1 and this year as year 2). 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And I will win a $500 bet on clutch fans. And get to dunk on all the fucking morons who called me the dumbest human being on earth when I talked about trading Wood about a week after Harden was dealt. 
fucking idiots thought that was dumb and Wood was some sort of foundational piece. Of course those fuckers also thought that team was going to compete for the playoffs and those fuckers also didn’t understand that this was at least a 3 year rebuild (counting last year as year 1 and this year as year 2). 

that would only prove the management as morons.  But maybe 26yo 17-11 , top 10 NBA rebounders are a nuisance to the team and easily replaceable.  This team is very soft and management is obsessed with 3ball/small ball philosophy, which won't win many games.  Accumulating picks means nothing if you don't get size and by the time all these young guys ripen, they'll be gone. Basketball has always been about size, can't change the fundamental truth. 

Wood gets $13m this year and $14m next, so why not keep him at least 1 more year?

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

6 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

that would only prove the management as morons.  But maybe 26yo 17-11 , top 10 NBA rebounders are a nuisance to the team and easily replaceable.  This team is very soft and management is obsessed with 3ball/small ball philosophy, which won't win many games.  Accumulating picks means nothing if you don't get size and by the time all these young guys ripen, they'll be gone. Basketball has always been about size, can't change the fundamental truth. 

Wood gets $13m this year and $14m next, so why not keep him at least 1 more year?

Because there’s not the slightest chance in hell you are going to want to pay him what he wants for his next contract/he’s not going to want to sign here with you, so keeping him around while he’s a positive value on this deal to help you win 19 games, worsen your draft standing and fail to extract future value when that should be the only point of what you attempt to do in the next 2 years is incomprehensible stupid?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

But you sound like you’d like to make another $500 bet with me that Wood will never play for a winning rockets team. I’m fine with doubling up if you want to be like those on clutch fans that just didn’t get what it was all about last year. 
if you are watching this team for anything but development from a handily of guys and an attempt to prop up trade value for everyone else you are doing it wrong. 

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Because there’s not the slightest chance in hell you are going to want to pay him what he wants for his next contract/he’s not going to want to sign here with you, so keeping him around while he’s a positive value on this deal to help you win 19 games, worsen your draft standing and fail to extract future value when that should be the only point of what you attempt to do in the next 2 years is incomprehensible stupid?

if he's worth it, sure pay him the market value because that applies to any player.  I'd go as high as $22 million/yr on him if he continues to produce and improves his O game and especially FT%.  There's no reason not to have him on the roster for the next 5-6 years. BTW, the draft is terribly overrated as young guys don't win playoff series and by the time they're good, they're gone (unless the player is Lebron, DWade or some other top 75 type player - which isn't happening in the next draft or two).

45 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

But you sound like you’d like to make another $500 bet with me that Wood will never play for a winning rockets team. I’m fine with doubling up if you want to be like those on clutch fans that just didn’t get what it was all about last year. 
if you are watching this team for anything but development from a handily of guys and an attempt to prop up trade value for everyone else you are doing it wrong. 

the bet is Houston will get rid of Wood, which falls in line with management stupidity over the last few years, ie trade Capela which was very unpopular with his teammates.  You got the bet premise all wrong.  The possibility of a Wood trade isn't the question-- but SHOULD he be cast off is the question. So there is no actual bet premise on that question.  Veterans win playoff series, let's not be obsessed with draft picks because the NBA draft isn't what it used to be.    

Why isn't a 26yo top 10 rebounder part of the future? What is the time horizon of the future? This isn't the old days, roster turnover happens at lightning speed. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

2 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

if he's worth it, sure pay him the market value because that applies to any player.  I'd go as high as $22 million/yr on him if he continues to produce and improves his O game and especially FT%.  There's no reason not to have him on the roster for the next 5-6 years. BTW, the draft is terribly overrated as young guys don't win playoff series and by the time they're good, they're gone (unless the player is Lebron, DWade or some other top 75 type player - which isn't happening in the next draft or two).

the best is Houston will get rid of Wood, which falls in line with management stupidity over the last few years, ie trade Capela which was very unpopular with his teammates.  Veterans win playoff series.   

Why isn't a 26yo top 10 rebounder part of the future? What is the time horizon of the future? This isn't the old days, roster turnover happens at lightning speed. 

The tickets aren’t going to sign anyone to “market value” 1.5 years from now because there is no draw for market/success/super star player to play with. So- they will only be able to sign guys by paying the absolute tip top on the market. If you can’t understand why Wood won’t ever be a part of a winning team in Houston I certainly can’t make you understand that, but if the goal is to compete for titles the. There is simply no way he matched Houston’s window to try to do that. They are at a minimum of 5 years and a superstar draft pick away from that level. 
best case scenario: Green and a couple other guys improve to be really good over the. Ext 4 years- they find a franchise player in the next 2 drafts, and they see marked improvement from those guys and can sign some quality talent while the cornerstones are approaching the end of their rookie deals and can be title competitive in 26 or 27. 
by that time Wood will be over 30 and paying him 25 million a year is counterproductive to everything I just laid out. 
mid you want to pay wood 20+ a year and hope to top out at a 6 seed giddy up. 
look man- the Astros just provided the template for how you do this and it’s not to sign players a little above average during rebuilding times to be marginally better and merely yuck instead of putrid. 
tear it down to the studs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like porter jr and wood got into it with Lucas. Porter jr left the arena and wood stayed but refused to play the second half. 

Wood is definitely getting traded now but kinda surprised about porter jr, kid has a ton of emotional issues but I thought he harnessed them under Lucas leadership. KPJ has been super underwhelming this year so I’m sure he’s frustrated. 

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Sounds like porter jr and wood got into it with Lucas. Porter jr left the arena and wood stayed but refused to play the second half. 

Wood is definitely getting traded now but kinda surprised about porter jr, kid has a ton of emotional issues but I thought he harnessed them under Lucas leadership. KPJ has been super underwhelming this year so I’m sure he’s frustrated. 

Once a headcase always a headcase. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Not good. KPJ was the Rocket’s attempt at found money, and not a franchise piece. I’d take a late first for him. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not good. KPJ was the Rocket’s attempt at found money, and not a franchise piece. I’d take a late first for him. 

Huh - and I thought Darryl Morey was no longer with the Rockets...

Stranger things have happened (hell, Orlando traded a first for a guy who can't raise his arm above his shoulder), but if you think another franchise is going to give up anything of value for KPJ you crazy.  He now has a well-documented history of being a malcontent at every stop along his career and if John Lucas can't get through to him, nobody can.

And as if his off-court behavior wasn't bad enough, he's gotten worse every year in the league and is now sporting a robust 9.8 PER.

Kevin Porter Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

For the sake of the team and Jalen Green, they need to cut bait ASAP.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Huh - and I thought Darryl Morey was no longer with the Rockets...

Stranger things have happened (hell, Orlando traded a first for a guy who can't raise his arm above his shoulder), but if you think another franchise is going to give up anything of value for KPJ you crazy.  He now has a well-documented history of being a malcontent at every stop along his career and if John Lucas can't get through to him, nobody can.

And as if his off-court behavior wasn't bad enough, he's gotten worse every year in the league and is now sporting a robust 9.8 PER.

Kevin Porter Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

For the sake of the team and Jalen Green, they need to cut bait ASAP.

All of this, but call me an optimist. 

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Get rid of them both before they pollute the draft class.

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i'd give kpj one more chance.  the talent is there.  

wood should have been traded last year (either at the deadline or over the summer).  now, he's actively tanking his trade value.  wonderful.

well someone here wanted to get rid of Wood for a 2nd rounder (about half don't even make a roster). Does this mean Rockets should just cut him?  

btw, were you in favor of trading Capela?

On 12/31/2021 at 10:24 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

The tickets aren’t going to sign anyone to “market value” 1.5 years from now because there is no draw for market/success/super star player to play with. So- they will only be able to sign guys by paying the absolute tip top on the market. If you can’t understand why Wood won’t ever be a part of a winning team in Houston I certainly can’t make you understand that, but if the goal is to compete for titles the. There is simply no way he matched Houston’s window to try to do that. They are at a minimum of 5 years and a superstar draft pick away from that level. 
best case scenario: Green and a couple other guys improve to be really good over the. Ext 4 years- they find a franchise player in the next 2 drafts, and they see marked improvement from those guys and can sign some quality talent while the cornerstones are approaching the end of their rookie deals and can be title competitive in 26 or 27. 
by that time Wood will be over 30 and paying him 25 million a year is counterproductive to everything I just laid out. 
mid you want to pay wood 20+ a year and hope to top out at a 6 seed giddy up. 
look man- the Astros just provided the template for how you do this and it’s not to sign players a little above average during rebuilding times to be marginally better and merely yuck instead of putrid. 
tear it down to the studs. 

how many of the current roster will be here in 5 years?  Green only, maybe Tate.  Getting an all time great is the only way to make the Finals and that's very rare. So you need good bigs to be competitive. Wood can still be productive from age 30-33, not a problem.  But now that he's obviously unhappy here, he's gone, but that doesn't prove any point about his worth or his fit in the scheme. 

4 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

well someone here wanted to get rid of Wood for a 2nd rounder (about half don't even make a roster). Does this mean Rockets should just cut him?  

btw, were you in favor of trading Capela?

i haven't seen anyone here say they would want to trade wood for a 2nd rounder.

no, i was not in favor of trading capela.  the westbrook trade broke this franchise.

I blame Silas for creating the situation leading to the meltdown. Rockets were up 7 with momentum, Silas calls time out, and KPJ -- who had been playing well to this point -- has the ball in hand. Armoni Brooks also looked puzzled at that Silas called time out. Anyone who has ever picked up a ball to play hates losing. I'm sure KPJ is the same way. While it benefits the Rockets to tank, I don't believe Silas is truly trying to tank this season. This is who Silas truly is - an overrated basketball coach and terrible hire for the Rockets. I just wonder how poisoned the locker room is going to be by the time Silas leaves Toyota Center. 

Wood has had shitty work ethic and isn't bought into the concept of playing team ball. He needs to be gone yesterday.

To me, John Lucas is a snake oil salesman. He's made millions by getting overpaid for providing a service that most NBA teams don't provide. As an assistant coach, what is he really bringing to the table besides the trite "I've overcome personal demons" schtick? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

I blame Silas for creating the situation leading to the meltdown. Rockets were up 7 with momentum, Silas calls time out, and KPJ -- who had been playing well to this point -- has the ball in hand. Armoni Brooks also looked puzzled at that Silas called time out. Anyone who has ever picked up a ball to play hates losing. I'm sure KPJ is the same way. While it benefits the Rockets to tank, I don't believe Silas is truly trying to tank this season. This is who Silas truly is - an overrated basketball coach and terrible hire for the Rockets. I just wonder how poisoned the locker room is going to be by the time Silas leaves Toyota Center. 

Wood has had shitty work ethic and isn't bought into the concept of playing team ball. He needs to be gone yesterday.

To me, John Lucas is a snake oil salesman. He's made millions by getting overpaid for providing a service that most NBA teams don't provide. As an assistant coach, what is he really bringing to the table besides the trite "I've overcome personal demons" schtick? 

Yeah, Lucas probably wants the head job, even though he failed every time he was given that job. The entire coaching staff needs to be rebuilt from scratch. Let Lucas join his son at Kentucky where he can do nothing just like Jai.

Porter isn't the type of talent you put up with given his shitty attitude and poor work ethic. It's starting to affect Green. Sengun and Christopher are more like Tate, which is a good thing. If Stone is really pushing the small ball shit, then he needs to be shown the door as well, despite his excellent draft.

• 2 weeks later...

The NBA is built on superstars. You don't trade a good player for 3 younger players who might have some potential. You trade a few good players for a better player. After you have some superstars, it is easy to fill out the rest of the roster.

On 1/2/2022 at 9:44 PM, BigOrange1 said:

i haven't seen anyone here say they would want to trade wood for a 2nd rounder.

no, i was not in favor of trading capela.  the westbrook trade broke this franchise.

post 109 on this thread said Wood is worth a late first or 2nd. Since he wants to get rid of Wood, presumably a 2nd rounder would be satisfactory. 

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

The NBA is built on superstars. You don't trade a good player for 3 younger players who might have some potential. You trade a few good players for a better player. After you have some superstars, it is easy to fill out the rest of the roster.

exactly and NBA tenures are not the same as old school days.  Vets win playoff series, superstars get you to the Finals, and Top 75 win the title for you.