2021-22 Houston Rockets Season Thread: Sucking with a Purpose

BigOrange1

very happy to keep Wood, only 25 and good, but surprised they kept EG the OG who deserves to be on a good team.  Rockets are in desperate need of quality tall guys, making Wood even more valuable. Let's see if they pick another 6'4" in the draft.  Overall, mostly due to keeping Wood, the management did well.  Certainly they'll trade him in the offseason for another shorty to the delight of internet fans. 

36 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

very happy to keep Wood, only 25 and good, but surprised they kept EG the OG who deserves to be on a good team.  Rockets are in desperate need of quality tall guys, making Wood even more valuable. Let's see if they pick another 6'4" in the draft.  Overall, mostly due to keeping Wood, the management did well.  Certainly they'll trade him in the offseason for another shorty to the delight of internet fans. 

Dude, Wood sucks. He's an empty double-double. Doesn't impact winning positively, pouts when he doesn't get the ball, plays no defense, and is a cancer in the locker room. It's likely the Rockets, their fans, and the rest of the NBA have very different opinions on Wood. He's also going to demand a max contract in 2 years, despite being a niche center. Being the "best" player on a shitty team doesn't mean anything.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Dude, Wood sucks. He's an empty double-double. Doesn't impact winning positively, pouts when he doesn't get the ball, plays no defense, and is a cancer in the locker room. It's likely the Rockets, their fans, and the rest of the NBA have very different opinions on Wood. He's also going to demand a max contract in 2 years, despite being a niche center. Being the "best" player on a shitty team doesn't mean anything.

17-10 doesn't suck. He's good, not very good, but good enough with a fair price. If he wants dramatically more in 2 years, bye.  Do we want to trade the only rebounder on the team and tank again next year? How many years to tank? How about some free agents?  How about some quality height? 

btw, Gary Trent Jr was the best FA signing in the recent year by far.  

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

17-10 doesn't suck. He's good, not very good, but good enough with a fair price. If he wants dramatically more in 2 years, bye.  Do we want to trade the only rebounder on the team and tank again next year? How many years to tank? How about some free agents?  How about some quality height? 

Well considering our 1st draft pick of the tank we fucked it up royally, I would say we are a year behind on the tank. I would also say that as long as the current ops team think Porter Jr. is a viable PG in this league we are going to be tanking a long time. His production outside of meaningless counting states sucks, so yes, Wood is not a good NBA player, which is why he's playing for his 6th team which is one of the worst teams in the NBA and not a playoff contender.

Edited by HtownHorn

We rank for 2 more years. 24 is the first year you try to win. That gives you 2 more high draft picks,  whatever assets you can get for wood and Gordon (great ducking job on that one by the way stone- you dumb motherfucker) plus 2 (more or

less) max cap spaces in the summer of 23. High draft

pick, tank again next year, high draft pick in 23, big spending spree in 23 when wall and Gordon and wood are off the books. That should give you what - $84 million to spend by those guys leaving?  

12 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

17-10 doesn't suck. He's good, not very good, but good enough with a fair price. If he wants dramatically more in 2 years, bye. 

He does and we will let him walk. His peak trade value was yesterday (if not this time last year).

12 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Do we want to trade the only rebounder on the team and tank again next year? How many years to tank? How about some free agents?  How about some quality height? 

Yes. Sengun needs more minutes without Wood and in general. Yes, we need to tank next year too, which is Wood’s last on contract. Then as Wulaw said, we will have Wall and Gordon off the books; we can try to sign one or more good FAs; Green, Sengun, and Christopher will be third years, and we’ll have our 2022 first rounder and 2023 rookies. Getting another mid first for Wood could have made the 2023-2024 roster that much better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not down on not trading Wood or EG just yet.  They'll have value this offseason, too.

What you didn't want is to take something back that would have more years on the clock... unless it was 1st rounders later.

I'm surprised the Lakers didn't try to get Wall, though.  I wonder what AD said.

That said, I always thought Cade Cunningham should have been the pick for the Rockets. I hope Jalen Green can stay healthy and become more consistent.

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He does and we will let him walk. His peak trade value was yesterday (if not this time last year).

Yes. Sengun needs more minutes without Wood and in general. Yes, we need to tank next year too, which is Wood’s last on contract. Then as Wulaw said, we will have Wall and Gordon off the books; we can try to sign one or more good FAs; Green, Sengun, and Christopher will be third years, and we’ll have our 2022 first rounder and 2023 rookies. Getting another mid first for Wood could have made the 2023-2024 roster that much better. 

We don't need more picks for Wood, give me younger players that we can develop. That's why I liked the idea of Washington and Kai for Wood. It's likely the Rockets are getting one of the 3 bigs, ideally, I want the guy from Auburn. I think he can play 4 with Sengun at the 5, but having a Washington and Jones would help with the depth at the 4/5.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

That said, I always thought Cade Cunningham should have been the pick for the Rockets. I hope Jalen Green can stay healthy and become more consistent.

Tell me you don't follow the Rockets and the NBA without telling me you don't follow the Rockets and the NBA.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So quick reminder on what we get this draft?

our own pick? What else? Just one more that are swaps right?

Rockets First Round Picks

2022 (2): HOU and better of MIA/BKN

2023 (2): Better of HOU/BKN and Milwaukee

2024 (1-2): BKN (and keep HOU only if in top 4) (OKC likely takes our pick)

2025 (1): better of BKN or (the worse of HOU/OKC) (OKC takes better pick)

2026 (1-2): BKN (and HOU only if in top 4) (OKC likely takes our pick)

2027 (1): better of HOU or BKN

On 2/10/2022 at 10:14 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

This team is gonna be tanking until Walls  contract comes off the books whether they try to or not. As mentioned above, some dipshit team is going to sign CW to a max, and I pray we’re not said dipshit team…

22 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

how long will KD stay if they don't win it this year? Will they break apart completely thus enabling Houston with choice red meat?

I didn’t like the trade initially from the Rockets’ perspective because if Harden hadn’t been traded to Philly, I assumed he was gone after the season, likely Kyrie as well. Then it would be up to KD whether he tried to recruit another star, agree to some Harden S&T for a new running mate, or that KD could bail too. Now, Simmons ain’t going anywhere so if he develops any kind of relationship with KD, they could be just competitive enough to keep the Rockets from getting a couple too 5/10 picks. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Adam Silver concerned by non-playing arrangement of John Wall, Rockets

Ok you ghoulish dbag, why don’t make contracts in these situations less than 100% guaranteed so both sides have incentive to negotiate a buyout? Or at least not make them count against the salary cap. 

If John Wall really wanted to play he would give the Rockets a number. He would rather make $90M and waste 2 years of his career than actually have to perform on the court.

Man, I didn't think we'd catch Detroit or Orlando, but here we are. All 3 teams have 15 wins.

Looks like our closing schedule is pretty tough. Only 1 game against teams that have no shot at the playoffs. Though I do wonder about San Antonio and Sacramento's motivation.

Edited by HtownHorn