2021-22 Houston Rockets Season Thread: Sucking with a Purpose

BigOrange1

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We need the Pistons to win, which they did.

right, that's what i meant to say.

18 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I never expected the BKN/MIA pick to be Top 15, but here we are with 18 games to go. 

thank you kyrie irving for imploding the nets' regular season.

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Simmons being too much of a little bitch to face his old team doesn’t bode well for success in Brooklyn.

I would put the O/U on games Simmons plays this season at 6. His feels were hurt big time and it is process to get back mentally.

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2022 at 12:51 PM, HtownHorn said:

Tell me you don't follow the Rockets and the NBA without telling me you don't follow the Rockets and the NBA.

Tell you I don't have ATT SW and can't watch...

Then tell me what about my statement was off.

On 2/22/2022 at 1:53 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Adam Silver concerned by non-playing arrangement of John Wall, Rockets

Ok you ghoulish dbag, why don’t make contracts in these situations less than 100% guaranteed so both sides have incentive to negotiate a buyout? Or at least not make them count against the salary cap. 

Because he can't.

17 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

They’re going to fire Silas right? As bad as we expected this team having 2 different 12+ consecutive loss streaks should be the nail in the coffin. I hate his rotations and use of the young talent

He's following instructions. 

53 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

They’re going to fire Silas right? As bad as we expected this team having 2 different 12+ consecutive loss streaks should be the nail in the coffin. I hate his rotations and use of the young talent

It's beyond obvious that Silas is not NBA head coach material - he's not fit to lead a contending team nor a rebuilding team. As much as I would like to see him shitcanned, he's probably just going to finish out the rest of his contract and then not be renewed. I do agree that he needs to be gone yesterday because of his boneheaded lineups and refusal to play rookies/young players more minutes over vet players that are net negatives.

The only silver lining is that the draft pick spots are looking good for the '22 draft. But at some point, results need to be seen with a bunch of first round picks otherwise the Rockets risk becoming a permanent NBA cellar dweller. Realistically, the Rockets should be aiming to make the 2024 playoffs and anything less is unacceptable.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

He's following instructions. 

Just like with the Texans and Culley, having a good coach in place when you’re rebuilding is still important for program building, culture and player development. I don’t get this “it’s ok to have a horrible coach” when going through a rebuild process. Houston fans like to throw out the Bo Porter example but he was never on the same level of suck as Culley or Silas. He was mediocre  which is a shit ton better than the worst NFL coach I have ever seen in my life category that Culley was in. Sengun and Green are getting worse because of his stupid rotations and minutes he is giving out.

Edited by Macklemore

21 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Just like with the Texans and Culley, having a good coach in place when you’re rebuilding is still important for program building, culture and player development. I don’t get this “it’s ok to have a horrible coach” when going through a rebuild process. Houston fans like to throw out the Bo Porter example but he was never on the same level of suck as Culley or Silas. He was mediocre  which is a shit ton better than the worst NFL coach I have ever seen in my life category that Culley was in. Sengun and Green are getting worse because of his stupid rotations and minutes he is giving out.

Calling Bo Porter mediocre is not true. He was the worst strategic and tactical manager I’ve ever seen. He didn’t know the rule book. He acted like a high school football coach as a motivator instead of leaning into teaching professionalism that comes from a 162 game season. 
He was by far the worst manager the Astros ever had. 

40 minutes ago, Llogg said:

That's a bad loss for them because that's basically their real team. I guess fingers crossed that Simmons is able to eventually give them something.

Just not this year.

If Brooklyn gets bounced out of the play in round, Durant is going to bounce. Brooklyn with Simmons and Kyrie is going to be hilarious, but not for the Rockets draft picks.

Silas is a moron of the highest order. Green, Christopher, Sengun, and Martin should be starting and playing 30+ minutes together. Porter I guess can be the 5th starter. Tate can be the 6th man. Gordon, Wood, and Schroder should be getting 20 minutes or less a night. We will know they are serious about the rebuild when they stop playing those 3 guys more than the young core.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If Brooklyn gets bounced out of the play in round, Durant is going to bounce. Brooklyn with Simmons and Kyrie is going to be hilarious, but not for the Rockets draft picks.

unfortunately, KD signed a 4 year extension that begins next season.  i know that in today's nba the amount of money or number of years left on a superstar's contract don't really matter if he wants out, but i don't see any way that durant asks out in the offseason before his extension kicks in.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Can't be winning back to back against Memphis and Miami. Though the starting lineup was almost right.

Herro 21 point 2nd quarter, thank goodness, Heat up 4 at half.

I have them to lose as part of a 3 team money line parley and I have the heat to cover the 15. Herro is my Hero. And I bet against them because I want us to lose. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I have them to lose as part of a 3 team money line parley and I have the heat to cover the 15. Herro is my Hero. And I bet against them because I want us to lose. 

I am starting to hope for Smith and Duren. Need Brooklyn to fall apart down the stretch.

57 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Rockets are going to bank in a buzzer 3 for the backdoor cover.

Ducking Rockets won when they could have slipped back into last. Really it’s the kind of win you want to see though, with all 3 of their rookies playing really good. 
Jalen Green has some shit to learn about not being too honest with the media. In his after game interview they asked what the plan was and instead of keeping it generic he was like- oh- we wanted to put melo in the pick and roll and hunt him with everything we do. I legit LOL’d but that’s probably not an answer he gives in 3 years I bet. 

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ducking Rockets won when they could have slipped back into last. Really it’s the kind of win you want to see though, with all 3 of their rookies playing really good. 
Jalen Green has some shit to learn about not being too honest with the media. In his after game interview they asked what the plan was and instead of keeping it generic he was like- oh- we wanted to put melo in the pick and roll and hunt him with everything we do. I legit LOL’d but that’s probably not an answer he gives in 3 years I bet. 

Christopher was a hell of a pick.  Could really see him carving out a nice career as a Vinnie Johnson type, 6th man. Though Johnson was only a .254 career BTA shooter, so Josh could easily be better than that.

Rockets really need Brooklyn to fall out of the playoffs, and have 2 lottery picks this year, and hope they stay in the Top 3, preferably top 2. Get Smith or Holmgren and another athletic wing to add to Porter, Green, Sengun, Martin, Christopher, and hopefully Garuba.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Christopher was a hell of a pick.  Could really see him carving out a nice career as a Vinnie Johnson type, 6th man. Though Johnson was only a .254 career BTA shooter, so Josh could easily be better than that.

Rockets really need Brooklyn to fall out of the playoffs, and have 2 lottery picks this year, and hope they stay in the Top 3, preferably top 2. Get Smith or Holmgren and another athletic wing to add to Porter, Green, Sengun, Martin, Christopher, and hopefully Garuba.

I mean- they are a good pick away from being potentially dominant (if anyone wanted to come play for this front office.  At the end of next year if they don't do anything stupid they could have Porter, Green, Sengun, Martin and maybe Holmgren, plus spots for 2 max players and another two role guys.  If they have some super stars that want to team up together in a no tax place with awesome cost of living and sun and scrip clubs that's a pretty appealing pitch.  If only we had Morey still making it instead of Stone.  

Joker is up.  He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to either A) want to move, or B) go through the machinations to set up his own team.  

The wet dream would be Ja and Zion- if- you know- guys ever got to FA after the first deal.  LBJ is up. I don't think either side would have any interest in that one. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- they are a good pick away from being potentially dominant (if anyone wanted to come play for this front office.  At the end of next year if they don't do anything stupid they could have Porter, Green, Sengun, Martin and maybe Holmgren, plus spots for 2 max players and another two role guys.  If they have some super stars that want to team up together in a no tax place with awesome cost of living and sun and scrip clubs that's a pretty appealing pitch.  If only we had Morey still making it instead of Stone.  

Joker is up.  He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to either A) want to move, or B) go through the machinations to set up his own team.  

The wet dream would be Ja and Zion- if- you know- guys ever got to FA after the first deal.  LBJ is up. I don't think either side would have any interest in that one. 

Want no part of Zion. Dude is a myth.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Want no part of Zion. Dude is a myth.

I get what you are saying. I  would crawl over broken glass to sign him to the mini max that guys get after their rookie deals are up.  If he hits your team becomes special. If he doesn't hit it's not a completely crippling contract that will ruin you forever. 

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

in all reality i don't see the nets missing the playoffs.  that pick probably has a realistic ceiling of 15 or 16.  the good news is that it should definitely be in the teens rather than the 20's.  coming into this year, if you would have told us that the brooklyn/miami pick would be #16, we all would have taken it no questions asked.

if they can nail these two picks the way it looks like they nailed 3 of the 4 last year (and that's not giving up on garuba yet, just can't say either way on him) and not do anything stupid like re-signing schroder, extending wood, or going out and signing some other scrub vet to a multiple year deal, it will setup for a "fun" 2023 season in which we get to watch the young nucleus develop while awaiting what could be a really fun 2023 offseason.

• Hook 'Em 1