2021-22 Houston Rockets Season Thread: Sucking with a Purpose

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Just in time for the playoffs, well done, NY.

Mostly just in time for the Yankees

Anyway, I think the best case scenario for the Brooklyn pick (12-13) isn't on the table anymore, and it's looking more of something like 16-17. That pick getting worse along with Sochan starting to get mocked higher means the best 3&D wing we might have had a shot at with that pick is probably unlikely, so now we're probably looking at the other Baylor 3&D wing in Kendall Brown with that pick, who's the last of that skillset, length, and athletic profile in the draft, but who has major effort and assertiveness question marks since he frequently disappears from games 

Picks in the middle of the first round will have warts though. I think taking the best true 3&D wing on the board with that picks is probably the best value, unless they're all gone; you can never have too many 3&D wings, as free agency has shown in recent years. This draft is deep with centers, but you can find adequate centers off the scrap heap in the NBA, and the roster is already guard heavy, although some of those guys could potentially be traded away (KPJ needs to go, imo)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think I’m back to having all four of the top draft guys in the same tier. Also adding Mathurin to the next tier with Sharpe and Griffin

Banchero is awesome on offense, but I’m not sure if he can guard anyone in the nba except for immobile post players. But nobody is without warts in this class, so shrugemoji. After last years draft, I’ll trust the front office if their choosing between the four top guys 

13 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

we still want the nets to finish 8th or lower in the regular season.  if they finish 8th and play at toronto, kyrie wont be able to play.  if they finish 9th or 10th, one loss in the play in games puts them out of the playoffs.

Kyrie can play every game now

Chet will be a mediocre pro with that lame body.  Drafting him in the top 5 is a major mistake.  

1. Banchero 2. Jabari , then the field. 

That dude Ivey was underwhelming. Big time players assert themselves, he was invisible. 

a couple of the Tech players could be worth a look in Rd 2 or free agency. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Chet will be a mediocre pro with that lame body.  Drafting him in the top 5 is a major mistake.  

That dude Ivey was underwhelming. Big time players assert themselves, he was invisible. 

You disregard Chet because of his body, but Banchero gets blown by regularly by college perimeter players. His footspeed is an issue defensively at the next level, and will take away from his offensive value 

Amusing that you dock Ivey for not asserting himself based on one game, and still have Jabari in the top two. Ivey was phenomenal 

9 hours ago, Fud said:

I think I’m back to having all four of the top draft guys in the same tier. Also adding Mathurin to the next tier with Sharpe and Griffin

Banchero is awesome on offense, but I’m not sure if he can guard anyone in the nba except for immobile post players. But nobody is without warts in this class, so shrugemoji. After last years draft, I’ll trust the front office if their choosing between the four top guys 

They play defense in the NBA?  

• Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Lol.

Jesus..."invisible"

4/7 from the field, 50% from deep, 8/9 from the line for 18/3/3.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/27/2022 at 1:24 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah I think I predicted this a couple weeks ago looking at the schedule. What a dumb fucking organization. They are going to pick something like 7th like a bunch of dumb fuckers. 

It's unfortunate that we aren't full out tanking to ensure a top five pick, but I think there are potentially six players who we should be happen about landing if Sharpe is allowed to enter the draft, even though Sharpe seems a little redundant to Green. Griffin is the sixth. After that, I guess I'd want Mathurin, because I don't love Keegan, Davis, or Duren at that spot

On 3/27/2022 at 1:24 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah I think I predicted this a couple weeks ago looking at the schedule. What a dumb fucking organization. They are going to pick something like 7th like a bunch of dumb fuckers. 

I see at best a 2-5 finish. Likely not #1 but safely in the bottom 3.

i think i have settled on my top 5 choices for the rockets:

1. jabari smith
  2. chet holmgren
  3. paolo banchero
  4. jaden ivey
  5. aj griffin

assuming they don't take ivey with their first pick, i like the idea of targeting a true pg like kennedy chandler with the brooklyn pick.

• Hook 'Em 1

The best comp I've seen for Jabari is a better three point shooting Rashard Lewis, which would be a very useful player, but also profiles to be probably the 3rd or 4th best player on a contender, depending on whether or not you have a superstar. So while arguably that's not what you're looking for at the very top of the draft, it's also a pretty high floor for that pick

We should be hoping to get a long 3&D wing with the Brooklyn pick, but with Sochan probably gone by then, you're probably hoping that Eason is there, otherwise you might be rolling the dice on Kendall Brown 

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

The best comp I've seen for Jabari is a better three point shooting Rashard Lewis, which would be a very useful player, but also profiles to be probably the 3rd or 4th best player on a contender, depending on whether or not you have a superstar. So while arguably that's not what you're looking for at the very top of the draft, it's also a pretty high floor for that pick

We should be hoping to get a long 3&D wing with the Brooklyn pick, but with Sochan probably gone by then, you're probably hoping that Eason is there, otherwise you might be rolling the dice on Kendall Brown 

Three point shooting was kinda Rashard Lewis's thing, do you mean a better defensive Rashard Lewis?

3 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Three point shooting was kinda Rashard Lewis's thing, do you mean a better defensive Rashard Lewis?

I get that, and no I meant three point shooting; Jabari is getting talked about as a potentially elite three point shooter, but I suppose if he shoots 42% vs a career 39% for Lewis, maybe it's not worth mentioning

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

KPJ had a whale of a game though. Not only a triple double (points, rebounds, and assists), but an awesome 4:1 assist to turnover ratio. He can definitely be the Rockets PG of the future.

Lol no 

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If Sacramento beats us on Friday, we won't win another game on our schedule. 4 games against teams in tight playoff races.

There might be some fuckery trying to move to different seeds for those playoff teams, like we saw last year when the Clippers tanked the last game and beat a tanking OKC Thunder team 

We need to sit everyone just to be safe 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

There might be some fuckery trying to move to different seeds for those playoff teams, like we saw last year when the Clippers tanked the last game and beat a tanking OKC Thunder team 

We need to sit everyone just to be safe 

Not really. I mean the Nets and Hawks are trying to stay out of the 9/10 game, Minnesota's 3rd team is better than our 1st team, and Toronto will want to stay out of the 7th spot. There will be no fuckery with those 4 games.

Houston plays Sacramento tonight. Sengun is questionable. Losing this one would go a long way towards finishing with the worst or second worst record 

Detroit and OKC play each other. Detroit adopted the tank, but OKC was born in it

Orlando plays Toronto. Winning this one would be a major fuckup by Orlando, since Toronto should be plenty motivated to win this one

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Fud said:

Houston plays Sacramento tonight. Sengun is questionable. Losing this one would go a long way towards finishing with the worst or second worst record 

Detroit and OKC play each other. Detroit adopted the tank, but OKC was born in it

Orlando plays Toronto. Winning this one would be a major fuckup by Orlando, since Toronto should be plenty motivated to win this one

Who loses the tie breaker between us and Orlando? Probably won’t matter as the odds of us both missing the top 4 for it to matter are pretty small (like 1 in 5 or so?).