If this team hasn't quit.

naija

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

So explain why we have better talent for the first half against every single team we line up against. And have better recruiting classes. I’ll hang up and listen

Sark has proven he can script plays. Once the defense adjusts, he shits his pants. Hence the whole us having 200-300 yards like every first half then like 70 yards in the second half. He shits his pants the second defenses adjust and here we are. 

Fucking Christ dude. Do you watch this fucking team? The pitch pass to Worthy worked then we didn’t run it again. Where is the other Robinson? Why isn’t he running 4-5 jet sweeps a game? Why aren’t we calling screens for our backs? Why aren’t we rolling out more often? Just so much stupid fucking shit 

23 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

So explain why we have better talent for the first half against every single team we line up against. And have better recruiting classes. I’ll hang up and listen

People keep bringing up recruiting classes but ignore that and look at the product on the field. 

Talent is about producing NFL caliber players. The top teams (Alabama and Georgia) are loaded with NFL players. Where is that on this roster? There is no raw talent on this team outside of a couple players. Name the players on this team where you say "damn they're talented and can make plays?." We have no more raw talent than the likes of Iowa State and Baylor right now. 

Shitty coaching doesn't impact raw talent. Texas soccer has a shitty coach and they're on a 14 game unbeaten streak because they signed the #1, #2, #8, and #10 recruits last cycle. You can see that team oozing with talent on the field even with a shitty coach. None of that is happening with this football team because there isn't any talent. 

If there's talent on the roster point to specific players that show it on the field? 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

But this shit Herman left behind might be the worst any Texas coach has left behind him since Ed Price or some shit. Akers and McWilliams were pretty terrible. Both Royal Mackovic left behind total hauls, but this shit....wow. I really didn't think it would be possible to leave behind less than Mack, but Herman did it. 

I think almost everyone pointed how Herman was losing great recruits in droves. Recruits were quite literally running from him he was so bad. Kids didn't want to play for that mf'er, and I don't them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Fucking Christ dude. Do you watch this fucking team? The pitch pass to Worthy worked then we didn’t run it again. Where is the other Robinson? Why isn’t he running 4-5 jet sweeps a game? Why aren’t we calling screens for our backs? Why aren’t we rolling out more often? Just so much stupid fucking shit 

The use of tempo allowed the OL to get push in the run game on the TD drive for the first time in weeks. Never to be seen again. 

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Sark has proven he can script plays. Once the defense adjusts, he shits his pants. Hence the whole us having 200-300 yards like every first half then like 70 yards in the second half. He shits his pants the second defenses adjust and here we are. 

So it's coaching then, not talent. Got it.

1 hour ago, Azbadlands said:

Who is ranking these players in High School with 4 *'s?  We got a bunch of 4 and even 5*'s that play like low 3*'s...We need  good talent evaluation as much as we need a new head coach...

Just off the top of my head, there was a cycle when Herman and the Texas program were in a position to sell a positive future and yet we spent a significant amount of time entertaining prospects like Peyton Powell and Demariyon Houston, no doubt propping up their rankings in the process.  Texas doing this while in a position to improve the roster without significant obstacles in their way and instead going dumpster diving casts the entire talent acquisition side of things in doubt.  

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

People keep bringing up recruiting classes but ignore that and look at the product on the field. 

Talent is about producing NFL caliber players. The top teams (Alabama and Georgia) are loaded with NFL players. Where is that on this roster? There is no raw talent on this team outside of a couple players. Name the players on this team where you say "damn they're talented and can make plays?." We have no more raw talent than the likes of Iowa State and Baylor right now. 

Shitty coaching doesn't impact raw talent. Texas soccer has a shitty coach and they're on a 14 game unbeaten streak because they signed the #1, #2, #8, and #10 recruits last cycle. You can see that team oozing with talent on the field even with a shitty coach. None of that is happening with this football team because there isn't any talent. 

If there's talent on the roster point to specific players that show it on the field? 

Alabama and Georgia? Jesus dude, we can't even beat Iowa State and Baylor. How the fuck you gonna even bring the likes of Alabamas and Georgias into the conversation?

And we don't need NFL talent to beat the Iowa States and Baylors.

Just now, Landomatic said:

Alabama and Georgia? Jesus dude, we can't even beat Iowa State and Baylor. How the fuck you gonna even bring the likes of Alabamas and Georgias into the conversation?

We aren't more talented than Iowa State and Baylor right now. I know what the recruiting rankings say. 

Watch the games and tell me where you see us having more impact type players than those teams. Again, show your work. If Texas has talented players give me some evidence on the field? 

Talented players make plays regardless of shitty coaching. See Ossai. It's almost like the defense took a total nose dive from average to shitty after losing their only talented player on the roster. 

• Like 1

Just now, Landomatic said:

Oh, I'll give you that we need to upgrade talent. But we shouldn't have to just to get by 3 of the teams we've lost to so far.

Which we would have if it weren’t for shitty 2nd half coaching and our sorry ass shitty players. Yeah refs have fucked us a lot this year but Jesus fuck. We don’t make adjustments and our players just play weak and stupid. Especially in the 2nd half 

14 hours ago, dcar00 said:

right, because it is the coaching.  I can't for the life of me understand why people on this board can't see it.  the HC has a history of winning approx. 7 games a year.  Is that because he's a good coach?

Why do you expect the players to get better but not the coach (who recently mentored behind maybe the best ever)?

53 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Because our players are mentally weak. All's good if we are tied or even, minute we get behind or have a setback they cave. 

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Why do you expect the players to get better but not the coach (who recently mentored behind maybe the best ever)?

because the coach has a pretty long history in P5 of being a 7 win coach.  He is an OC.  He has no fucking idea how to fix this.  once his shit stops workingwhich I will admit had been decent in the first halves) he has no answer.

this is quite obvious if you watch the games.  at Alabama he just kept running his shit and eventually it would work because Nick Saban was his head coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Recruiting services. It’s weird because other schools that get similarly rated classes do just fine. Guess we’re the only school that gets lied to.

Florida, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, Miami and USC are near the top in blue-chip ratio. 

Most these teams have been up and down with several looking for new coaches. 

You want to land as many 4 and 5 star players as possible but it's not an exact science. Plenty of schools outside of Texas underachieve with perceived talent based on the recruiting rankings. 

Edited by texasstrong12

47 minutes ago, Fletch said:

D6CA61EB-C829-41E2-8A45-92483FC3E4DD.jpeg.ea1eb275912008c844c1a1f27c65c496.jpeg

52 minutes ago, horngasm22 said:

hate using aggy as an example, but since this thread is about quitting...

remember when they wanted to murder their awful freshman QB and they thought their season was over...

seems like that QB has been coached up and their team didn't quit.

i can't think of any aspect of our team that has progressed.

since it is college football, maybe teaching them to not quit matters.

Couple games ago I saw aggy's center running 40 fucking yards downfield blocking, we don't have anyone that gets 5 yards downfield blocking, they sign oline recruits that can play, we don't, we hope we get lucky and get a couple drafted every 10 years.

17 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

wtf? Iowa State and Baylor damn sure have some dudes getting drafted.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

because the coach has a pretty long history in P5 of being a 7 win coach.  He is an OC.  He has no fucking idea how to fix this.  once his shit stops workingwhich I will admit had been decent in the first halves) he has no answer.

this is quite obvious if you watch the games.  at Alabama he just kept running his shit and eventually it would work because Nick Saban was his head coach.

So starting as HC with school previously 0-12 and taking them to winning records means nothing? They were already good and he didn't have to change their culture any? Just doesn't add up to me.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Recruiting services. It’s weird because other schools that get similarly rated classes do just fine. Guess we’re the only school that gets lied to.

Could be that talented players that are soft gravitate toward Austin and the coaches are happy to take their commitment instead of finding maybe lower “rated” players that aren’t soft and are good at football.  There’s a difference between being able to run fast and jump high and just being good at football.  Not saying we do this across the board but we need some guys that will show up every week that love to play not just a bunch of look like Tarzan play like Jane.  Always take the Bijans and Xs but we need some killers on oline and dline I don’t care what they are rated.  And we absolutely must have a difference maker at QB.  It’s amazing how good the teams were with Vince and Colt.  I think players maximize their abilities when you have a great QB and those same players can significantly underachieve with a JAG. You can’t tell me we couldn’t have signed one of those tightends that ISU has instead we have Brewer who can’t catch and/or runs out of bounds instead of getting an easy 5yards or he falls down for no reason.  Brewer should be a backup and never see the field until mop up time.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So starting as HC with school previously 0-12 and taking them to winning records means nothing? They were already good and he didn't have to change their culture any? Just doesn't add up to me.

thats fine. you can think that.  I prefer to use my eyes and what I see is exactly what Sark is.

30 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

dcar blames everything on coaches and referees, it's what he does

just go to the recruiting threads and see how much bragging is done because recruits pick UT because of education ""haha fuck SEC" and then see the same guys bitch at these guys not giving a shit enough about football.  You want to be top 5 good you better get some fuckers that don't come here to play school.

12 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, this is the worst roster I've seen at Texas. 

It's talent deficient at every position other than RB. People can keep bringing up all the 4 and 5 star players in comparison to teams like Iowa State but they're more talented if you watch them play. It's fairly obvious. You can watch teams and say "they suck but there's talent"...... I don't see any talent outside of a couple guys on this team. Guys with raw talent can make plays even with shitty coaching but there's none of that on this team. 

Somehow we've just done an absolutely terrible job of talent evaluation. 

It's  worse than that, even the guys that look good as raw new freshman talents regress after being at Texas a while like Caden Sterns, for example...I remember everyone calling him Baby Earl because of his play as a freshman.  Even dudes like Foster looked hungrier when they first started playing for Texas.  It's like the dog got coached out of them, or they just get tired of losing and quit trying hard at all...I think a culmination of that is what we have seen the last few games.  The players that do have some talent are not having fun and just don't give a crap no more.  That is all on the coaches to motivate the team...

6 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

It's  worse than that, even the guys that look good as raw new freshman talents regress after being at Texas a while like Caden Sterns, for example...I remember everyone calling him Baby Earl because of his play as a freshman.  Even dudes like Foster looked hungrier when they first started playing for Texas.  It's like the dog got coached out of them, or they just get tired of losing and quit trying hard at all...I think a culmination of that is what we have seen the last few games.  The players that do have some talent are not having fun and just don't give a crap no more.  That is all on the coaches to motivate the team...

Sterns is talented but he can't stay healthy to save his life. He's already been banged up in the NFL. 

Foster might have looked "hungrier" his FR year but he's also just a terrible football player. He's not good. These are the types where I think people refer to "talent" and it doesn't make much sense to me. Foster isn't talented at all no matter what the recruiting rankings say and that wouldn't change with any coaching. 

This is the 3rd DC that hasn't been able to teach Foster how to tackle yet some will still refer to these types as "talented". 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Your Mom said:

He might be but we wouldn't know it yet.  Belichick couldn't coach these fucking clowns.  The faster we clear out this roster the better.

You know good coaches make kids better. That might not mean we win but it does mean you see improvements week to week and we haven’t seen that at all. We have literally gotten worse the last few games every week. If it’s just players we need then it doesn’t matter who the coach is and we just should hire a rain maker in recruiting.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You know good coaches make kids better. That might not mean we win but it does mean you see improvements week to week and we haven’t seen that at all. We have literally gotten worse the last few games every week. If it’s just players we need then it doesn’t matter who the coach is and we just should hire a rain maker in recruiting.

Does anyone actually think Mack was coaching up players? 

He's an average coach that landed NFL talent for like an 8 year period. Start buying the top notch recruits with coaches that can actually evaluate the talent at the top. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

He's an average coach that landed NFL talent for like an 8 year period. Start buying the top notch recruits with coaches that can actually evaluate the talent at the top. 

Dude come on. Yes, he was. Mack’s floor with bad recruits for him was still higher than this seasons ceiling. Think about that, then shut the fuck up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If you ask the players who played for him they all say he did…..  

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Dude come on. Yes, he was. Mack’s floor with bad recruits for him was still higher than this seasons ceiling. Think about that, then shut the fuck up. 

He's definitely a better coach than Sark. 

Once recruiting fell off at Texas his ceiling was 8 or 9 wins. That's now his ceiling at UNC. If Mack wasn't landing talent like he was from '03-'10 he would have been a dead man walking just like he was at the end of his tenure at Texas. 

Mack wasn't coaching players up. He was landing NFL talent and winning with said talent. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Oh, I'll give you that we need to upgrade talent. But we shouldn't have to just to get by 3 of the teams we've lost to so far.

Go take a look at who is even still on the team from the highly ranked 2018/2019 classes. Then, take a look at how those guys are playing. The 2020 class was very top heavy, JJ is gone, Dorbah is nonexistent, Broughton is soft as hell with a helicopter mom, Alford is gone, and there's a whole bunch of meh down the line. The 2017 class with the Sams, Kerstetter, Gary Johnson, Josh Thomp, and TQ is possibly our best impacting class. Even Brewer is passable at times from that class.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, LonghornJudas said:

One thing that bugged me about the game last night was the continued activities by ISU after the play was over and no one seemed to give a shit about their fellow teammates. Now, maybe they do, but they sure weren't showing it. Not saying injure someone, just show some god damned heart and fire. I guess for us it's:

Exception: RoJo.

Golden Triangle players, esp one from PA (PN-G recruited him out of there), play with more heart than anyone else in the state. 

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Where did I bitch about him? Someone upthread said go get a rainmaker recruiter to get the talent we need. I responded with I thought that was Monkey Stripper's Boyfriend. We supposedly have that guy on the staff, do we not?

Banks, Drayton, and Davis are the supposed rainmakers.   Davis is doing his part.  Drayton seems to be competent.  everyone else, sans Milweed, are supposed to be good coaches with decent recruiting chops.  I think Milweed is a mistake but he's Sark's boy.

We'll see where we end up but OL is a disaster right now.  they wouldn't be able to help next year anyway but you have to start getting guys in.

Sark said in his last PC he could get 5 guys right now for OL but wants to get the right ones.  I think he's lost but its just my opinion. maybe he lights it up down the stretch.

1 minute ago, Clintonaldo said:

You guys might not have the elite studs in a lot of positions but this shit isn’t on the players as much as it is coaching. Texas is way too talented to have the current record. This is all on coaching. 

name the talent besides Bijan and Worthy

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Go take a look at who is even still on the team from the highly ranked 2018/2019 classes. Then, take a look at how those guys are playing. The 2020 class was very top heavy, JJ is gone, Dorbah is nonexistent, Broughton is soft as hell with a helicopter mom, Alford is gone, and there's a whole bunch of meh down the line. The 2017 class with the Sams, Kerstetter, Gary Johnson, Josh Thomp, and TQ is possibly our best impacting class. Even Brewer is passable at times from that class.

This. 

And the 2019 class is an absolutely dismal assembly of poor fits and bad mental evals. Safeties that cant cover. Linbackers that cant diagnose or drop coverage. No edge players. Positions of need filled from Juco (edge and OL). TEs that never blocked in highschool. QB that cant throw. WRs that either cant run (Washington, Lewis) or lack pure skills (Smith). 

With how poor the roster management, evals, and retention has been, it's not just about upgrading talent. For some positions it has literally been filling the position with bodies. We essentially didn't have an edge group going into this year (the most important position in most defenses, especially PK's)--we had Jones, Dorbah, and Bush (not sure how that is possible after 4 top-10 recruiting classes, but Orlando really fucked us). We filled that group with bread through the portal. We get bread results on the field.

We are now recruiting a 2-deep across the entire DL this 2022 class for a reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

You guys might not have the elite studs in a lot of positions but this shit isn’t on the players as much as it is coaching. Texas is way too talented to have the current record. This is all on coaching. 

A lot of recruiting talent, yes, but the last staff didn't develop it at all. TBD if this staff will, but not a good start.