If this team hasn't quit.

naija

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This Roster is Overrated and Terrible...  

E_wfB98VcAsFnju?format=jpg&name=medium

E_wfB9-VkAkppMr?format=jpg&name=medium

Pretty obvious that SARK has a rebuild on his hands -- too many underachievers and mental midgets on this current Roster.  

I can pick maybe seven players on this roster that a worth saving and who would contribute on most college rosters in the country.   The rest are Texas State worthy.  

2 hours ago, naija said:

Then they are doing an awfully good impression of it.

Literally zero effort right now.

At every level.

Good news.  Sark said in this post game press conference that the players have not quit.  So we are good. These loses are with fully bought in and motivated players!  Yay 

Just now, ONE YARD said:

The players are regressing.  That’s coaching. 

Wrong.  The players aren’t very good.  You are not too smart if you really believe other coaches could turn that O line into something decent.  Unless our coaches are telling the O lineman, “listen, when we hike the ball I want you to either miss your block and don’t touch anyone or even better let the D lineman throw you around like a rag doll and push you ass straight back into the QB” then it’s not the coaches.  This team has talent on par with Texas Tech, Kansas State and schools like that.  That’s on Herman.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Wrong.  The players aren’t very good.  You are not too smart if you really believe other coaches could turn that O line into something decent.  Unless our coaches are telling the O lineman, “listen, when we hike the ball I want you to either miss your block and don’t touch anyone or even better let the D lineman throw you around like a rag doll and push you ass straight back into the QB” then it’s not the coaches.  This team has talent on par with Texas Tech, Kansas State and schools like that.  That’s on Herman.

Our talent is on par with Tech?  So in your mind we blew out a team with equal talent?  Does that mean you think our coaches are actually coaching the players up?!

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

The players were shit to begin with. 

Yep. This whole team's problems were masked for at least a couple of years by heroics that we continually asked Sam Ehlinger to pull out of nowhere all while most of the fanbase crapped all over him for finally falling short when he didn't have enough magic to make up for the lack of talent surrounding him.

I knew it was going to be ugly after he left, just didn't think it'd be this ugly.

Just now, Helobious said:

So let’s say the coaches are great and the players are all hopelessly shitty… shouldn’t there be some noticeable improvement in play as the year goes on at least? That definitely isn’t happening.

This.  We are regressing.  That’s the biggest possible sign of bad coaching. 

how the hell are some of you people defending the coaches?!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This roster is a collection of terrible linemen, average QBs, athletes like Overshown who aren’t good football players, entitled upperclassmen, and Bijan/Worthy. They are the only two players getting time that I care to see next year. This is the most devoid of talent roster since SWC Mackovic days. It absolutely, unequivocally is the roster. It is so obvious, and I cannot for the life of me understand how it’s not obvious to everyone on this board. 

Its the coaching. See you in 4 years(hopefully 3 if we actually care about winning).

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

ou's 22/23 recruiting definitely looks better than ours.

And, if they recruited to positions of need, and skipped a couple of 5-stars that they didn't need, that explains the difference in rating right there.  And also why they're a better team.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

So let’s say the coaches are great and the players are all hopelessly shitty… shouldn’t there be some noticeable improvement in play as the year goes on at least? That definitely isn’t happening.

right, because it is the coaching.  I can't for the life of me understand why people on this board can't see it.  the HC has a history of winning approx. 7 games a year.  Is that because he's a good coach?

Edited by dcar00

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This roster is a collection of terrible linemen, average QBs, athletes like Overshown who aren’t good football players, entitled upperclassmen, and Bijan/Worthy. They are the only two players getting time that I care to see next year. This is the most devoid of talent roster since SWC Mackovic days. It absolutely, unequivocally is the roster. It is so obvious, and I cannot for the life of me understand how it’s not obvious to everyone on this board. 

I pretty much knew there was a problem with the talent when I watched kansas nearly rally against the Horns @ DKR in 2019, the last game I attended in person. That period felt like a turning point from being a team with some potential to suddenly the next players up ( especially in places like the secondary ) were such a massive falloff in skill that it was just shocking tbh.

Herman dropped the ball with recruiting plain and simple.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

This.  We are regressing.  That’s the biggest possible sign of bad coaching. 

how the hell are some of you people defending the coaches?!

This is your problem.  If people don’t agree with you 100% that it’s the coaches, your brain incorrectly is telling you that people are saying the coaching is fine and it’s the shitty players. 

You do realize it can be both, right? 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, ONE YARD said:

Jajajajajakajajajajajajaa. Really?!? Be honest here. You think sark and co are actually coaching our players up?!?

There is not much to coach up.  I think Sark has some plays/schemes that get guys open which is more than I have seen from many of our offensive coaches over the last 20 years.  Tell me this.  Who on the O line do you think is a good player?  Which one of them is strong at the point of attack, holds their blocks, etc…. Which of the WR can actually catch a football other than Worthy?  Which TE can catch a ball and not immediately trip over their own feet and fall down?  Which QB is really a good QB?  It is hard to judge them with horrific OL play but I hate to break it to you but both QB’s are crap.  Casey in the first half was throwing the ball like Cam Newton did last year for my Patriots and he at least has the excuse of having a shoulder of a 90 year old at this point.  

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I bet we have more talent than Iowa St.

that would matter a lot more to me if this was year 3 or 4 for Sark. our roster may be filled with players who were better than ISU's in HS, but the bulk of these guys are *terrible* players at the Big XII level. when guys get to campus, if they don't have top flight instruction, hands on involvement from coaches and staff, and legit senior leadership to show them how to prepare to be great every day, it is unbelievably easy to suddenly become a shittier player than a bunch of uber motivated 3 star guys who got overlooked by the Texas's and OU's of the world.

anyone who thinks they've seen enough to close the book on Sark at Texas is sorely mistaken. this post-Herman era requires a complete culture change for the program to get turned around. there is no coach in America who can pull that off in a matter of months. it can't be done. 

Sark has his work cut out for him. he has to hold on to the likes of Bijan and Xavier, he has to crush it in recruiting, he has to bring in as many O linemen as possible via the transfer portal, and then he and his staff have to coach them all up and get them living, breathing, and playing like champions all day every day. can he do it? no idea. but if he can, it will not be an overnight process.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not defending the coaches. I’m just patient. I’ve seen 11 years of mostly mediocre football. I don’t know how that can’t numb y’all’s kneejerking. I don’t think it’s fair to judge the staff on this year with this collection of shit. They have very little to work with. Our best players are literally a true sophomore and true freshman. 

I can understand this logic if we are playing hard and seeing improvement week to week.  That’s a sign of a new staff actually improving the team though coaching.  

this is not happening. The opposite is infact happening.  We are looking worse and worse all while playing progressively weaker teams.  OU > okie state / Baylor > Isu. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not defending the coaches. I’m just patient. I’ve seen 11 years of mostly mediocre football. I don’t know how that can’t numb y’all’s kneejerking. I don’t think it’s fair to judge the staff on this year with this collection of shit. They have very little to work with. Our best players are literally a true sophomore and true freshman. 

Yeah, at some point we're gonna have to suck it up and let the coaches do their jobs for a couple of years without letting them feel the hotseat.

This 3-4 year hiring cycle is just not going to get it done unless we're very lucky.

There are some huge question marks.  There have been some kind of interesting bright spots, too.  I'm wiling to give Sarkisian a year or two to fix his staff and his roster, because it's pissing in the wind to do otherwise, and really the only rational thing to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This is your problem.  If people don’t agree with you 100% that it’s the coaches, your brain incorrectly is telling you that people are saying the coaching is fine and it’s the shitty players. 

He's lost his gotdam mind.  Monomaniac.

If this continues to next year, 3 years is a year too many, maybe. That college coaches need 4 years is utterly ridiculous. Charlie should’ve been gone after 2 and Herman after 3. I’ll get on board with the witch hunting here when it’s time. It’s not time. 

fair enough.  In my opinion we are just wasting time, like we did with the last 2 guys.  

Urban said no and we went with whoever was left at the bar at closing time.  its the next morning.  time to nut up and move on.

that said he'll be here 4 years because CDC hired him, sacrificial lamb coaches will be fired, oh and yeah, we don't really give much of a shit about winning a bunch of football games.  just enough to make a bowl.  Charlie's problem was that he couldn't make bowl games and the one he did make was a fucking disaster.

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It can. But I would still expect shit players to improve as the year goes on due to good coaching.  

• Like 1

At some point “the players aren’t very good” falls on the coaches for recruiting them, not coaching them up, etc. Sure this roster falls a lot on Herman but nothing I’ve seen from Sark says “he’s gonna be a good coach with his guys.”  Sark didn’t go after better players on the OL.  He’s done zero to earn a pass. In fact he’s given us every reason to believe he’s a disaster.  He’s shit until he proves otherwise. 
The lack of adjustments and regression of every player and every aspect of the game tells me this isn’t nearly as much on the players as it is on the staff.  
I’ll respect the opinion of someone who says otherwise and time will tell but I have zero hope that we get better until there’s a new HC.  Sark ain’t the guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I honestly though, wish this team would just let loose. Season's fucked, try some weird stuff. Wildcat with Rojo and whichever Robinson is healthy enough to go.. Stop throwing qbs with either broken hands or inability to play behind a crap oline in there. Design something weird and just go for broke if for nothing else to not be whatever they've tried to be all year that hasn't worked.

I'm aware that it'd probably just backfire more, but I don't want to see them just play another game as the last 3. The only thing left is to try and claw away at finding an identity other than cant do shit in the 2nd half.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 28jcollins said:

I honestly though, wish this team would just let loose. Season's fucked, try some weird stuff. Wildcat with Rojo and whichever Robinson is healthy enough to go.. Stop throwing qbs with either broken hands or inability to play behind a crap oline in there. Design something weird and just go for broke if for nothing else to not be whatever they've tried to be all year that hasn't worked.

I'm aware that it'd probably just backfire more, but I don't want to see them just play another game as the last 3. The only thing left is to try and claw away at finding an identity other than cant do shit in the 2nd half.

Play freshmen and sophomores, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s time to hit the portal hard and get rid of some guys. We need a Beard style makeover. I don’t like this trend either, and if it continues into next year, yes, we have a coaching problem. 

then next year it will be "these guys have only been in the system for 9 months!, Sark's not a miracle worker!".  with his history and what I've seen so far its not even close to a hard call.

1 minute ago, ONE YARD said:

It can. But I would still expect shit players to improve as the year goes on due to good coaching.  

Why would you expect that?  You think Saban could “coach up” Brock, Bush or Schooler?  They would suddenly be better?  You want to know the secret of Bill Belichick?  He drafts players, which is a crapshoot, and if he realizes they aren’t good he cuts them and moves on.  He doesn’t try and coach them up.  Now the NFL is different than college but all those players Saban gets moved off of the Bama roster for better players is because they are not good and he realizes he can’t coach them up.  Unfortunately, those players he jettisons are 1000 times better than what we have starting for us right now.  I believe Sark will succeed here as long as he can recruit over the next two classes.  If he fails at that then yes he will be fired soon after since the talent level will keep us at a 6-7 win team at most.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Why would you expect that?  You think Saban could “coach up” Brock, Bush or Schooler?  They would suddenly be better?  You want to know the secret of Bill Belichick?  He drafts players, which is a crapshoot, and if he realizes they aren’t good he cuts them and moves on.  He doesn’t try and coach them up.  Now the NFL is different than college but all those players Saban gets moved off of the Bama roster for better players is because they are not good and he realizes he can’t coach them up.  Unfortunately, those players he jettisons are 1000 times better than what we have starting for us right now.  I believe Sark will succeed here as long as he can recruit over the next two classes.  If he fails at that then yes he will be fired soon after since the talent level will keep us at a 6-7 win team at most.

Is Belichick a good coach? Very clear now who was mostly responsible for all that success.

If we are seeing the same results in Year 3, it’s definitely time to go. Coaches that cannot show marked improvement in a 36-39 game window will never make it. It will kill recruiting and set you back further. I do agree with your last paragraph. 

recruiting is already bad and is going to get worse.  Flood can't bring anyone in worth a shit and we suck at the bag game.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If we are seeing the same results in Year 3, it’s definitely time to go. Coaches that cannot show marked improvement in a 36-39 game window will never make it. It will kill recruiting and set you back further. I do agree with your last paragraph. 

Well, what I think happens to some extent is that coaches start feeling pressure in the early years and start doing unwise things that virtually guarantee failure in year three or four.

Things like putting together a highly ranked recruiting class with players you don't need that are iffy evals and fits, but get you a five-star when they sign, and a top-10 recruiting class for appearances rather than as part of a coherent scheme of putting a team and roster together.

I'm fairly convinced Kwiatkowski is stubborn and a bad fit.  I think he needs to go.  But Sarkisian needs to do it voluntarily, and this year, rather than being pushed as were Strong and Herman.  I will breathe a sigh of relief if some defensive coaches are canned at the end of the season.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I didn’t go to UT so I’ve always wondered… is it not just a pretty damn hard school to transfer in to? I always assumed that’s why we never went after any good JUCO players and only got castoffs from other good academic schools as transfers. 

I transferred in from Community College…..varies drastically by major. If someone has a decent GPA they can have a very good shot with Liberal Arts, Fine Arts, or maybe Education. Engineering or Business though….they’re incredibly competitive with transfer admits.

If we are 4-5 and getting fatigued and listless in every second half, let’s talk. Even then, he’s probably gonna get that third year. He must work harder than he ever has over the next 12 months. 

what if we are 5-4?  I agree he is going to get 4(unless he doesn't make bowls).  this dude isn't gonna change his spots but I admire your willingness to hope it will change and suspend reality.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Its the coaching. See you in 4 years(hopefully 3 if we actually care about winning).

The lack of depth kills most hard coaching methods for year one staffs.  You guys are checked out incumbents way too comfortable with continued starts in front of 100k fans while the product is abysmal?  Well shit who else can we play instead... They've chosen a mixed bag of playing shitty walk ons that are practice warriors and yelling at knuckleheads at practice whom should know better by now 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Not to mention better coaching and they actually care about the game 

That's all part of the evaluation, recruitment, development path.  The coaches that can make chicken shit out of chicken salad ala Orlando, according to one self-serving Herman, get used to starting off with an ingredient no one wants to ingest in the first place.  Choate and PK might be similar although we know less about that part of their philosophies at this point.  I know Sark wants the Cornish hens at least before he makes his chicken salad.  Anyway, our current coaches have schemes that don't even get off the ground when there's insufficient talent, so true, there's loads of guys we could have hired that would have kept us closer in many of our losses, but that's all missing the forest for the trees.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

he can probably rack up tons of yards in the PAC 12 with the shit DC's they have.  maybe ASU?

keep fucking that chicken. You know Alex Grinch came from the Pac 12, right? Guys like Pete Golding came from UTSA, Mike Elko from Wake Forest, etc.

3 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

The lack of depth kills most hard coaching methods for year one staffs.  You guys are checked out incumbents way too comfortable with continued starts in front of 100k fans while the product is abysmal?  Well shit who else can we play instead... They've chosen a mixed bag of playing shitty walk ons that are practice warriors and yelling at knuckleheads at practice whom should know better by now 

That's all part of the evaluation, recruitment, development path.  The coaches that can make chicken shit out of chicken salad ala Orlando, according to one self-serving Herman, get used to starting off with an ingredient no one wants to ingest in the first place.  Choate and PK might be similar although we know less about that part of their philosophies at this point.  I know Sark wants the Cornish hens at least before he makes his chicken salad.  Anyway, our current coaches have schemes that don't even get off the ground when there's insufficient talent, so true, there's loads of guys we could have hired that would have kept us closer in many of our losses, but that's all missing the forest for the trees.  

YES!  I have been struggling to articulate this.  I'm not sure the chicken salad/chicken shit coach, while nice to have in transition, is the one capable of optimizing the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Tennessee is better than us with a first year coach, a more difficult schedule, and a shittier roster that lost literally every good player they had to the portal.   This is not just about our roster.  Not even close.

Tennessee had 2 starters transfer from their oline and we still don't have one fucker that would start there

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

keep fucking that chicken. You know Alex Grinch came from the Pac 12, right? Guys like Pete Golding came from UTSA, Mike Elko from Wake Forest, etc.

yeah Alex Grinch, the guy we rolled 40+ points on with our shitty players 2 years in a row.