2022 Hall of Fame

MaybeACoordinator

What a fucking joke that Ortiz got in

I agree that Bonds and Clemens should be in as well, but MLB said that the alleged test in the NYT story was “inconclusive,” as it didn’t differentiate between illegal and legal over-the-counter vitamins and supplements.

Ortiz went on to rake for another seven seasons after ‘09. That’s gotta count for something.

It’s bullshit that Bonds and Clemens didn’t get in after 10 attempts. I’m also happy that Ortiz got in on the first ballot. The two statements are not mutually exclusive.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Ha Ha.  Hall of Juicers voted in by Baseball Hypocrites Association of America.  

complete joke.

10 minutes ago, dbecks said:

I agree that Bonds and Clemens should be in as well, but MLB said that the alleged test in the NYT story was “inconclusive,” as it didn’t differentiate between illegal and legal over-the-counter vitamins and supplements.

Ortiz went on to rake for another seven seasons after ‘09. That’s gotta count for something.

It’s bullshit that Bonds and Clemens didn’t get in after 10 attempts. I’m also happy that Ortiz got in on the first ballot. The two statements are not mutually exclusive.

you believe MLB?  you have to be kidding.

what's bullshit is Bonds and Clements didn't get in in their first year unanimous and David known juicer Ortiz who doesn't have half the resume Bonds, Clemens do is in on the FIRST ballot. 

• Hook 'Em 5

32 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Hall of Harold Baines et al. 

Harold Baines is a Saint, you understand me?!?  Harold Baines is a Saint!  /wesmantooth

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

So did Ortiz. what is your point?

What specifically did he test positive for?  Ortiz was part of a data pull to see how pervasive things were across the league.  And it was bad, but no details were provided, so I don't know what to make of all that.

Bonds and Clemens "grandstanded" themselves in front of Congress and the media, accusing everyone else in the world but themselves for their misfortunes and documented actions.  Bye bye mofos.

Edited by freyguy

24 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Yep. And right now the Dominican Republic is partying its ass off. 

My son (was 8 and no pics) bought me this when I came back from Afghanistan. Watched Ortiz destroy the Yanks on a Spring Training trip. Papi is in. I will be at his induction. Who wants to go? 

66484907715__EB2384EE-15C8-4325-8D6B-88FF16470D5C.thumb.jpeg.b9d6e582110401b4f0d893ec5c725188.jpeg

what's bullshit is Bonds and Clements didn't get in in their first year unanimous and David known juicer Ortiz who doesn't have half the resume Bonds, Clemens do is in on the FIRST ballot. 

Again, the two statements do not preclude each other.

It’s important to get the best players in history - which Clemens and Bonds surely are among - elected, but I can still be happy for Ortiz, whether it was the first or tenth ballot. That’s just me.

But if this pisses you off so much, maybe direct some of that anger at the writers who are hypocrites (the many who voted for Ortiz and not the other two), rather than hating on the player who got in. Just a thought.
  • Hook 'Em 1

What specifically did he test positive for?  Ortiz was part of a data pull to see how pervasive things were across the league.  And it was bad, but no details were provided, so I don't know what to make of all that.
Bonds and Clemens "grandstanded" themselves in front of Congress and the media, accusing everyone else in the world but themselves for their misfortunes and documented actions.  Bye bye mofos.

Bonds and Clemens were dragged before Congress, for no reason other than to be fed to a bullshit “look at us doing something about something” kangaroo court who’s purpose was nothing more than manufacturing a “lying before Congress” charge. Fuck all of those motherfuckers. Those fuckers deserve a lot worse than being “grandstanded” against
  • Hook 'Em 3

It wasn't though.  The FBI was involved in this too.  There was a real investigation going on.  You want to talk anti-trust?  Illegal drugs?  Multi millionaires creating an illegally-competitive edge against their co-workers to get even more money?  I'm disappointed that more wasn't done to the folks involved. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, freyguy said:

he failed the test.  Clemens never failed a test.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, freyguy said:

what did Clemens test positive for, specifically?

26 minutes ago, freyguy said:

The only one who did any grandstanding was that finger wagging hypocrite Rafael Palmeiro who was lauded as a heroic truth teller of sorts at the time by the same media that pilloried Bonds and Clemens.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

The only one who did any grandstanding was that finger wagging hypocrite Rafael Palmeiro who was lauded as a heroic truth teller of sorts at the time by the same media that pilloried Bonds and Clemens.

Don't you blaspheme Palmeiro!  The man won a gold glove for playing First Base for over 200 innings in just one season!  

Yeah, jokes aside---I forgot how much his little mini "rally" at Congress played a role in all this.  That's crazy to think after 15+ years of these debates, Schilling, Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa are all off for good.  I'm very curious to see where the Vets Committee puts them down the road, but I ain't holding my breath.  Those guys have only just begun the next wave of shit in their post-careers.  Even if they get voted in, I doubt some of them live to see it.  

Good news if you're a fan of Helton, Billy Wags, or Rolen...they all moved up in ways that are historically indicative of getting the call in the next 1-2 years.  

Honestly a little surprised at some of the names that already fell off for not garnering 5%.  Not that any of them are Hall-Worthy, but a few names I thought would linger around the bottom of the voting slate for a couple, three years.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Don't you blaspheme Palmeiro!  The man won a gold glove for playing First Base for over 200 innings in just one season!  

Yeah, jokes aside---I forgot how much his little mini "rally" at Congress played a role in all this.  That's crazy to think after 15+ years of these debates, Schilling, Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa are all off for good.  I'm very curious to see where the Vets Committee puts them down the road, but I ain't holding my breath.  Those guys have only just begun the next wave of shit in their post-careers.  Even if they get voted in, I doubt some of them live to see it.  

Good news if you're a fan of Helton, Billy Wags, or Rolen...they all moved up in ways that are historically indicative of getting the call in the next 1-2 years.  

Honestly a little surprised at some of the names that already fell off for not garnering 5%.  Not that any of them are Hall-Worthy, but a few names I thought would linger around the bottom of the voting slate for a couple, three years.  

here's a question. ortiz gets called to the rally where he denies like he has done since his positive test came out.  does he get in?

I dunno.  Good question.  Those hearings, that testimony, those moments with the press by some players...a lot of that shit is seared one way or another into the memories of a lot of writers.  For better or worse, they shaped a lot of voting trends.  As did how some of the players eligible thereafter handled the fallout from those hearings.  Some went full-on Lance Armstrong attack mode, others hung back and quietly went back to the game on nothing but beer, chew, and cocaine...like Abner Doubleday intended.

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

tumblr_n2lcgdtAiE1rvn2ylo1_400.gif.2ec2cd014424191757652835ede9aa62.gif

He was one of my fav's too....It killed me when he did that...

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

While the inconsistency of letting some juicers in and not others is wrong, eff the ones who didn’t get in. They cheated the game. 

Yeah, Bonds was a HOFer if he retired after the ‘98 season, before he juiced. Dude juiced just to show how much better he was than the juicers.   And he was 3 heads and 2 shoulders better than them.   He’s one of the 5 best ball players to ever play the game, and he’s not in the hall because a bunch slapdicks that don’t play and don’t have cushy desk jobs anymore (because their bankrupt industry can’t pay them like they used to) want to play coy with other people’s livelihoods.    Such a shitshow 

• Hook 'Em 7

No doubt. I happened to be living in SF during peak Barry years, and attending games in 2001 was something else. Every at bat was electric. Or if you were in bars, and Bonds came up to bat, everybody would shut up watch each at bat. Fucker would usually only get a couple of pitches to swing at a game, and still hit 73 out.  And then turns around and leads the league in average 2 out of the next 3 years. He was a f'n machine. He's a dick and I dont like the guy, but he deserves to be in. 

Whenever I watched Bonds that year this was the absolute truth. Intentionally walk him once or twice, thrown him some shitty pitches then give him one hit table pitch, and it’s not just gone but long gone. Possibly the most incredible season in any sport. Truly amazing.

I wonder how many of the voters could directly tie their job to baseball’s expanded popularity in the 90s precisely because of Clemens Bonds McGwire Sosa etc.

And how many of these jokers turned a blind eye to it while it was happening. Or perhaps just hold their mentors in high regard that did the same.

21 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Whenever I watched Bonds that year this was the absolute truth. Intentionally walk him once or twice, thrown him some shitty pitches then give him one hit table pitch, and it’s not just gone but long gone. Possibly the most incredible season in any sport. Truly amazing.

It wasn’t just that year either - it was 2001-2004. It was unreal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Thats a crazy stat, but his career WAR numbers basically equals an entire seasons of wins. 

image.thumb.png.f8e1a49d838b4d8d25dad1d763728d57.png

Baseball reference gives the following scale for a single-season: 8+ MVP Quality, 5+ All-Star Quality, 2+ Starter, 0-2 Reserve, < 0 Replacement Level . So in 22 seasons he averaged 7.5

3 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

I wonder how many of the voters could directly tie their job to baseball’s expanded popularity in the 90s precisely because of Clemens Bonds McGwire Sosa etc.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Yep it was pretty fucking crazy thinking back on it. Get 2 decent pitches to hit a game and 1 was gone. What a badass

50 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

He must have done the steroids that don’t give you muscles.  

Sosa is the poster boy for what roids can do for a very good player but  Palmeiro is a strange case.  he never looked yoked at all.  sure a little bigger but nothing crazy.  

to everyone's point, Bonds is what happens when you take arguably the best all around hitter in baseball and juice/lift like crazy.  add the smaller park/short porches craze and you get ridiculous numbers.

Edited by dcar00

3 hours ago, dbecks said:

Again, the two statements do not preclude each other.

It’s important to get the best players in history - which Clemens and Bonds surely are among - elected, but I can still be happy for Ortiz, whether it was the first or tenth ballot. That’s just me.

But if this pisses you off so much, maybe direct some of that anger at the writers who are hypocrites (the many who voted for Ortiz and not the other two), rather than hating on the player who got in. Just a thought.

Ortiz is about as hateable an athlete as they come. Total nobody before he started juicing, acted like a douchebag on the field, threw a temper tantrum and smashed up a dugout phone with a bat, made stupid choices off the field that almost got him murdered. He’s a shitty person and a cheater. Fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If Ortiz is in then Sosa and Palmeiro abso-fucking-lutely need to be in and put in Schilling for good measure.

between Baines and Ortiz this thing is a complete clown show.  too funny.

TBH, when you see the ballots these jokers send in you can understand it.