Sharing 1 keyboard/mouse between 2 computers

Superhero

I have a home PC for personal use, but occasionally use it for work. It has one monitor and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

During the stay-at-home phase, I set up a workstation in my bedroom: work computer > docking station > two monitors, and wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

What I want to do is merge the 2...

image.thumb.png.cbca63e8eb4dc8b22a5359db6436ac33.png

Each monitor has 2 DP inputs, so getting signal from each computer isn't a problem.

Question is how do I share the keyboard and mouse without having to physically plug/unplug the dongle from one machine to the other?

i know there is another thread on this that had a bunch of recs.  i use a KVM switch with the bluetooth thing plugged in to share the mouse and kb.  then it runs usb cables back to the docking station and PC.  it also toggle between the monitors.  make sure to get the 4K@60Hz and not the 30Hz one.  I had issue with flickering and not locking in to the monitors when switching with the 30Hz.  Returned for a 60Hz and it's been working great ever since.

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/mx/master-series.html

button on back of device toggles between 3 machine.  bluetooth so no dongles at all.  and besides this feature, theyre such good devices you would want them anyway

Looks cool. But unfortunately I’ll have to go with the wired route. My home PC is a 10 year old Dell (which runs faster than my 2 year old HP notebook) so Bluetooth is not an option. 

52-80 is glossing over the main relevant thing that is nice on the logitech MX route - if you get a pair of the logi devices listed here you can use their "flow" software which handles this pretty well and is somewhat slick.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/options/page/flow-multi-device-control

I'm a big fan of the mx master mouse - I upgraded to the mx master 3 and the MX keys keyboard to solve basically this exact problem. I have one monitor shared between work pc and personal mac, and then I also keep my macbook open to the right of the screen. If I scroll to the right edge of the monitor when using the PC (and hold down ctrl, since accidentally scrolling too far was irritating) the keyboard and mouse both switch automatically to the mac. Same deal if I scroll to the left edge when using the mac. If I have the PC up on the big monitor there's a phantom screen i have to scroll through to get from the mac to the pc but it's no big deal. It's also nice (and probably not compliant with your corporate IT) that you can share a clipboard across the machines for text/files/images. MX Keys and MX Mouse both can use bluetooth but they also come with a USB dongle and you can pair them with multiple devices/dongles. So, you could set them up using usb ports on your old personal machine and use bluetooth for the work machine.

Edited by Celery Man

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I actually have this. I use it for Bluetooth earphones. The PC is right by my feet, but the connection is not the best. Plus I have to turn it on from the control panel after I restart my computer.

Guess I’ll wait until I get a new computer to get the Bluetooth version. 

You can find it for a better price.  Note it's built for DP (like your mom. I have proven it.  Twice this morning.)

https://www.startechtel.com/products/startech-sv231dpddua-2port-dual-displayport-usb-stsv231dpddua?variant=40837154144438&gclid=CjwKCAiAp8iMBhAqEiwAJb94zxp33RVgrZX6loRklCx_3Ys_YkrsbNOABMuh0h12n5KPKI7F3HDXdhoCIZUQAvD_BwE

Edited by Parliament

On 11/15/2021 at 2:10 PM, Superhero said:

I actually have this. I use it for Bluetooth earphones. The PC is right by my feet, but the connection is not the best. Plus I have to turn it on from the control panel after I restart my computer.

Guess I’ll wait until I get a new computer to get the Bluetooth version. 

Some of/most of the Logitech Master devices can use their own Unifying Receiver instead of a BT dongle - you could use that to cover your one ancient PC, and use BT on your newer one(s). The unifying receiver works really well in my experience: distance, RF noisy environments, many devices, they just work.

On 11/15/2021 at 9:25 AM, Superhero said:

Looks cool. But unfortunately I’ll have to go with the wired route. My home PC is a 10 year old Dell (which runs faster than my 2 year old HP notebook) so Bluetooth is not an option. 

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/combos/mk850-wireless-keyboard-mouse.920-008219.html

use dongle and/or bluetooth.  sometimes the no click mouse wheel backs up a line or two when trying to scroll slowly is my only complaint.  i solely use dongles because bluetooth and the wifi router right there aren't real great friends. 

costco has a cheaper combo with a cheaper mouse for $45

https://www.costco.com/logitech-mk825-wireless-keyboardmouse-combo.product.100527196.html

Edited by elfenix

Thank you all for your help. Ultimately I went with the UGREEN KVM switch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXXQKGM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_60S50G6B004FKHEQ99K0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Btw I realized that of the two DP “inputs” on the back of the monitors, only one is actually an input. The other is an output for daisy-chaining. So I had to get DP to HDMI cables to go from the docking station to monitors.