no.2 overall recruit in the nation decommits from Florida State to go play for Coach Prime at Jackson State

shadow_operative

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i understand wanting to be coached by Deion, but this seems really, really stupid on this kid's part.

I'm not sure about that. Rumor is that Barstool is giving him somewhere between $1M-$1.5M for him to go to Jackson State with the deal that they have for a TV Show at JSU. Also if it doesn't work out then he'll get paid again to go to a major school like Ewers.

247 has him as #1 overall and said he'd be #1 at both CB and WR and a is a generational talent.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Unless you think Deion can’t coach corners, I don’t think it’s as stupid as the big schools/media want you to believe.  

maybe you're right. maybe playing against a glorified high school schedule IS a great way to prepare for the NFL. 

(i'm being sarcastic ^^^)

wow. so far everyone in this thread thinks it's a good idea. if my son were the no.1 or no.2 overall player in HS football i would never ever ever let him take a giant step backwards by going to play against such inferior competition, not only on his schedule, but day in and day out in practice. i'd rather see my son go play pro in Canada or Europe than see him go waste his time by surrounding himself exclusively with players/competition who are totally beneath him. 

• Like 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

wow. so far everyone in this thread thinks it's a good idea. if my son were the no.1 or no.2 overall player in HS football i would never ever ever let him take a giant step backwards by going to play against such inferior competition, not only on his schedule, but day in and day out in practice. i'd rather see my son go play pro in Canada or Europe than see him go waste his time by surrounding himself exclusively with players/competition who are totally beneath him. 

Looks like he REALLY wants to play both ways and Deion knows that game and he'll never have to leave the field at JSU if he doesn't want to plus the whole HBCU thing is another added bonus. The rumored Barstool NIL deal makes it possible and I'm sure that ever growing list of NFL great from FCS schools doesn't hurt anything.

Sly "I got laid" humblebrag. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Your son would have slapped you for starting a new thread when the other one was working just fine. 

that's a thread about Deion Sanders coaching Jackson State. this is a thread about the Vince Young level recruits deciding to go surround themselves with inferior talent on a daily basis, and the impact it could have on their growth. go cry about it somewhere else. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

maybe you're right. maybe playing against a glorified high school schedule IS a great way to prepare for the NFL. 

(i'm being sarcastic ^^^)

Yeah I don’t think it’s nearly as big a deal as you’d like to believe.  There’s all kinds of NFL studs that played at no name schools.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i understand wanting to be coached by Deion, but this seems really, really stupid on this kid's part.

Why?  You know he's getting paid, so why is it necessarily a bad decision?

Personally, i wouldn't want my son associated with Sanders, but ethics and character went out the window a long, long time ago in the business of college football.

Get what you can...while you can.

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's a thread about Deion Sanders coaching Jackson State. this is a thread about the Vince Young level recruits deciding to go surround themselves with inferior talent on a daily basis, and the impact it could have on their growth. go cry about it somewhere else. 

Plenty of NFL talent has come out of HBCUs. Fucking Walter Payton played at Jackson State! This is Division I football by the way. It's not like we are talking about Division III. FCS sends players to the NFL.

Considering the talent that this kid has and the connections with Deion Sanders and Deion's experience as a DB, this is not a bad decision at all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

i guess this thread and i have some fundamental differences when it comes to what we think is best for the growth of a kid with prodigious talent. yes, NFL players have come from HBCU's before- none of those guys was the no.1 (or 2, depending on the recruiting service) recruit in the entire country. if my kid is a prodigy at anything- piano, mathematics, art, football- i want my kid to be surrounded by people who will challenge them and help them grow on a daily basis. i do not want my kid walking into a situation where he's already at a much more advanced level than everyone around him.

as far as the barstool money goes, WOW, a whole million dollars?! screw the NFL, this kid can just go buy a private island and retire there! i'll go ahead and eschew a million dollars (before taxes) today to have my kid go get the best coaching, training, and competition possible, so that one day he may acquire generational wealth based on his prodigious play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The NFL will draft talent from anywhere, but as far as maximizing his draft potential this certainly hurts it.  You aren't going to be a top 10 pick without some time playing against other elite guys.  

Carson Wentz and Trey Lance were top 3 picks. Lance basically only played a single season, nevermind the level of competition.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The NFL will draft talent from anywhere, but as far as maximizing his draft potential this certainly hurts it.  You aren't going to be a top 10 pick without some time playing against other elite guys.  

like Trey Lance?

29 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if my son were the no.1 or no.2 overall player in HS football i would never ever ever let him take a giant step backwards by going to play against such inferior competition

Honest question, because I see this sort of statement a lot: How do you stop an 18 year old when he says "I'm going to [insert college] and that's that" or "I want to play for Coach X"? You gonna quit talking to him? And if he's a top five prospect, it's not like he'll need mom and dad's money to make it through school, so you can't moneywhip him. 

My dad couldn't stop me from doing what I did when I was 19 (and I sure as hell wished i had listened) but he was there for me when my stupid plans fell apart. Sometimes, that's all you can do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

If he plays his ass off and Deion signs off on him, he's obviously got the measurables.  

This shit is tailor made for Jerry Jones.  LOL.   Joking, but not joking.

We see players go to the high end schools and flop in the NFL all the time.  If it's my kid, I tell him to go where he wants to play.  As i said, Deion damned sure ain't my preference, but it's not because of football reasons.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you had a son who was a 9th grade football stud, and you wanted him to not only get a college scholarship, but to be totally prepared for the leap to D-1 football, where would you send him for his final three seasons? Westlake, or Regents? 

Pflugerville Connally

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Betty Blackwell said:

Carson Wentz and Trey Lance were top 3 picks. Lance basically only played a single season, nevermind the level of competition.

there is not a single example you guys can give of small school players going to the NFL that is analogous to this situation. none of the players you can name were the no.1 overall recruit in the country, and all of them exclusively had small school offers, where they were surrounded by people of similar stature at that time. none of them walked into campus and were head and shoulders above every single player in the program. steel sharpens steel. this kid is doing himself a disservice by surround him himself with inferior competition.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you had a son who was a 9th grade football stud, and you wanted him to not only get a college scholarship, but to be totally prepared for the leap to D-1 football, where would you send him for his final three seasons? Westlake, or Regents? 

Come On What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Honest question, because I see this sort of statement a lot: How do you stop an 18 year old when he says "I'm going to [insert college] and that's that" or "I want to play for Coach X"?

i raise him to understand that he isn't going to get any better by surrounding himself with players who are all inferior to him, plus a subpar/unproven coaching staff.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

If he plays his ass off and Deion signs off on him, he's obviously got the measurables.  

This shit is tailor made for Jerry Jones.  LOL.   Joking, but not joking.

We see players go to the high end schools and flop in the NFL all the time.  If it's my kid, I tell him to go where he wants to play.  As i said, Deion damned sure ain't my preference, but it's not because of football reasons.

No doubt, he'll get in the NFL and if he's a stud he'll sign multiple contracts that make all talk about money moot.  But just based on the fact that his first contract could be his only contract he'd have a much better chance at getting drafted higher at FSU than JSU.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

there is not a single example you guys can give of small school players going to the NFL that is analogous to this situation. none of the players you can name were the no.1 overall recruit in the country, and all of them exclusively had small school offers, where they were surrounded by people of similar stature at that time. none of them walked into campus and were head and shoulders above every single player in the program. steel sharpens steel. this kid is doing himself a disservice by surround him himself with inferior competition.

So you are saying because he has prodigy level talent he is less likely to go to the NFL from the FCS than someone that developed their talent after high school in FCS?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Not football, but my son was very, very good; possibly elite, even at what he did in high school.

He came within a cunthair of going to Texas A&M...

There is value in the individual as well.  It's not all about the school.

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

So you are saying because he has prodigy level talent he is less likely to go to the NFL from the FCS than someone that developed their talent after high school in FCS?

are you really this dense, or do you just love to argue? the point i'm making is crystal clear. go back and reread every single post i've made if you need to. it isn't complicated.

i raise him to understand that he isn't going to get any better by surrounding himself with players who are all inferior to him, plus a subpar/unproven coaching staff.

You understand this kid was committed to Florida State, right? They fucking suck. Talk about an inferior coaching staff as well. This kid is a cornerback going to play for maybe the greatest cornerback to ever play. Oh and get a lot of money while doing it. It’s not that stupid of a decision no matter how bad you want it to be.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

are you really this dense, or do you just love to argue? the point i'm making is crystal clear. go back and reread every single post i've made of you need to. 

I am not the one being dense. This is exactly what you are saying.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

That's not what I asked and I think you know it. I'm saying you raised your kid and did everything "right", yet he insists on going to a school that you oppose. What do you do?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Helobious said:

You understand this kid was committed to Florida State, right? They fucking suck. Talk about an inferior coaching staff as well. This kid is a cornerback going to play for maybe the greatest cornerback to ever play. Oh and get a lot of money while doing it. It’s not that stupid of a decision no matter how bad you want it to be.

leave it to Helobious to believe that the talent level at FSU and in the ACC is commensurate with that of Jackson State and their HBCU schedule.

2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

That's not what I asked and I think you know it. I'm saying you raised your kid and did everything "right", yet he insists on going to a school that you oppose. What do you do?

HELLO. i raise my kid to understand that you don't get. ether by playing inferior competition. NEXT.

leave it to Helobious to believe that the talent level at FSU and in the ACC is commensurate with that of Jackson State and their HBCU schedule.

Where did I say that? You act like he was committed to Bama or Georgia or Ohio St. He wasn’t. He was committed to a shitty team with a head coach that will be fired next season. The stupidest decision was ever committing there to begin with.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

He pointed out the value of being mentored by possibly the best DB in the history of the game( arguable, but he's damned sure in the discussion.)

You are overvalueing the school the young man chooses.  There are more elements in the equation that also matter.

this thread is straight out of bizarro world. like, i've known countless dads who've had sons who were great at basketball, and every single one of them got their son to sign up for/play in leagues with older kids and better competition, because that's how you make yourself a better player (do you get it now @F250 or should i repeat it seven more times?). none of them was like, "Yeah, Zacchai is 11 now and he's already better than everyone else in his age group, so we're going to have him play in the 9 year old league next year, because he's totally going to maximize his potential that way."