no.2 overall recruit in the nation decommits from Florida State to go play for Coach Prime at Jackson State

shadow_operative

5 hours ago, Farmerted said:

I can’t believe this haven’t happened on a larger scale already , with Nil maybe it will . There’s no reason it couldn’t work for Basketball 2-3 players and your in the tournament . 

There have already been a handful of big time croots in basketball sign with HBCU's the last couple of years.  I'm all for more of this happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Horn21 said:

If being around the best staff and best teammates possible was the only input in the kid’s decision-making process as you seem to think it should be, he would have never committed to fucking FSU in the first place.

Most of life’s biggest decisions are made with a lot of varying inputs and reasons thrown in the mix. Pretending to know what another person should decide based on what you think is important when you actually know nothing about him is super gross.

Pretending to know what another person should decide is not super gross. It’s just super @shadow_operative

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Covri said:

I'm certainly not gonna fall in the "tell a kid where to go" camp, and there have been plenty of good players that have played at and been drafted from smaller schools. But let's stop pretending that any of those players were #1 recruits(nationally) of their HS class.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm certainly not gonna fall in the "tell a kid where to go" camp, and there have been plenty of good players that have played at and been drafted from smaller schools. But let's stop pretending that any of those players were #1 recruits(nationally) of their HS class.

Then it should be even easier for them to find him because they already know to look there. Talent finds a way and this kid already has it and the NFL is aware of it and where to find him.

It’s not like he is going to some shit school that no one has ever had. He’s going to play for Deion and an 11 win team that is getting more publicity than a lot of P5 schools at the moment. They are definitely getting more than FSU right now who just reupped a coach for another year that hasn’t done much.

This is just the start. It’s happening in basketball and moving into football, this just happens to be the biggest name although Mikey Williams may really change the discussion. Others will join them which is a positive thing and if Deion stays there instead of jumping to FSU it will be interesting to see where this goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brew said:

Then it should be even easier for them to find him because they already know to look there. Talent finds a way and this kid already has it and the NFL is aware of it and where to find him.

It’s not like he is going to some shit school that no one has ever had. He’s going to play for Deion and an 11 win team that is getting more publicity than a lot of P5 schools at the moment. They are definitely getting more than FSU right now who just reupped a coach for another year that hasn’t done much.

This is just the start. It’s happening in basketball and moving into football, this just happens to be the biggest name although Mikey Williams may really change the discussion. Others will join them which is a positive thing and if Deion stays there instead of jumping to FSU it will be interesting to see where this goes.

Deion was a candidate for the TCU job, right? So he has interest in jumping. I just don't see him staying there and then what happens?

As far as exposure, sure, this gets a lot of attention in the off season. Obviously. Due to the unprecedentedness. But again, when it's actual football season, how many nationally televised games will there be for Jackson State? People who play in more nationally televised games are more likely to be drafted higher and make more money, no?

Edited by Pam Cummings

I mean, he'll play immediately, look elite against lesser competition, and get drafted high based on his HS scouting evaluation alone. He's wisely minimized risk. He misses out on the big time college football experience, but there's no chance he rides the pine for 2 years... and given the size reduction of his competition, there's a way lower chance he gets beat up playing as a true freshman and turns into a scared, slow 5 star bust like BJ Foster.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, B00M said:

I mean, he'll play immediately, look elite against lesser competition, and get drafted high based on his HS scouting evaluation alone. He's wisely minimized risk. He misses out on the big time college football experience, but there's no chance he rides the pine for 2 years... and given the size reduction of his competition, there's a way lower chance he gets beat up playing as a true freshman and turns into a scared, slow 5 star bust like BJ Foster.

Scared, slow 5 star bust.  🥴

lol

16 minutes ago, B00M said:

OK but he's a DB. Great play for him means nobody even tries throwing his way. And all of this will be with the caveat of "but it was against an inferior schedule/competition".

This is the natural outcome of events since Clarett v. NFL.

Federal Courts and NFLPA uphold the 3 year rule? Fine.  Throw in the NIL? Makes even more sense.  The kid gets to build a HBCU Legacy.  If he's actually that good, it's not going to matter where he plays.

You think KG, Kobe, TMac, and LeBron gave a 2nd thought to needing a year of college to improve?  Current rules, they would have had to find out.

This is the ultimate fuck around and find out. This is the real all gas no brakes.  7 figures before the draft. . .shits gonna get interesting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/travis-hunters-hbcu-jump-may-not-lead-to-a-sea-change-but-its-great-for-college-football-194653364.html

I seem to remember VY winning games in spite of his college coaching.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

OK but he's a DB. Great play for him means nobody even tries throwing his way. And all of this will be with the caveat of "but it was against an inferior schedule/competition".

That's great for a DB. You never get exposed if they never throw at you. As long as he stays healthy, the NFL will give him the benefit of the doubt and he'll go in the 1st round.

BJ Foster is a DB too. Remember the playmaking potential he flashed as a freshman? I bet he'd be getting drafted this year if he chose to go this route. Instead he injured his shoulders non-stop early in his Texas career, understandably lost the big hitter edge he came in with, and has lost a step. No chance he gets drafted now. 

12 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

There have already been a handful of big time croots in basketball sign with HBCU's the last couple of years.  I'm all for more of this happening.

Makur Maker left his school after two games, and Master al's son did the same thing. so far the basketball HBCU experiment is failing.

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

every single time some major recruit says that academics are important to him, our fans and the posters here come out and shit all over the schools like LSU or Oklahoma and say, "if this kid is telling the truth then he ain't going there." now we have a kid who says that going to the NFL is important to him, and and these exact same fans are absolutely beside themselves that anyone would suggest that going to school that's known for advancing football careers is a better idea than going to one with no such record, and without the pedigree or schedule to match match a major d-1 school. it's total hypocrisy, and i have to question how much of it is people bending over backwards to be woke.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

every single time some major recruit says that academics are important to him, our fans and the posters here come out and shit all over the schools like LSU or Oklahoma and say, "if this kid is telling the truth then he ain't going there." now we have a kid who says that going to the NFL is important to him, and and these exact same fans are absolutely beside themselves that anyone would suggest that going to school that's known for advancing football careers is a better idea than going to one with no such record, and without the pedigree or schedule to match match a major d-1 school. it's total hypocrisy, and i have to question how much of it is people bending over backwards to be woke.

So you're disappointed when UT Hubris is proven untrue?

2 hours ago, Brew said:

that's assuming that he continues to grow as a player and actually becomes NFL material. now where would he have a better chance of doing that- at a major D-1 school, surrounded by other supremely talented, high D-1 athletes and coaches on a daily basis, and playing against major D-1 opponents week in and week out? OR, by surrounding himself on daily basis with guys who are already beneath his level, guys who have zero pro prospects, and by playing against a wildly inferior level of competition? what do you think prepares a DB for the NFL more- a major D-1 schedule for 3-4 years, or playing Florida A&M and Prairie View every week?

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

My theory is that people intentionally make poor arguments on this board because it drives engagement.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Going to Jackson State isn't going to prevent him from going to the NFL ffs.  So no, it's not total hypocrisy.  It's not hypocritical at all.

if you had a kid that was a musical prodigy with an offer to go to Juilliard, would you send them to Appalachian State instead and say, "meh, same thing."? of course not. because Juilliard is a prestigious school with a proven track record of developing prodigious young musical talents. this is not complicated at all.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

if you had a kid that was a musical prodigy with an offer to go to Juilliard, would you send them to Appalachian State instead and say, "meh, same thing."? of course not. because Juilliard is a prestigious school with a proven track record of developing prodigious young musical talents. this is not complicated at all.

I didn't realize there was a full blown cottage industry out there identifying and ranking musical students like there is with football players.  Since there isn't then yes, going to Juilliard would definitely pay more dividends as I can't seem to find App STate's choir ensemble on my ESPN app.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's assuming that he continues to grow as a player and actually becomes NFL material. now where would he have a better chance of doing that- at a major D-1 school, surrounded by other supremely talented, high D-1 athletes and coaches on a daily basis, and playing against major D-1 opponents week in and week out? OR, by surrounding himself on daily basis with guys who are already beneath his level, guys who have zero pro prospects, and by playing against a wildly inferior level of competition? what do you think prepares a DB for the NFL more- a major D-1 schedule for 3-4 years, or playing Florida A&M and Prairie View every week?

I would say there are about $1.5M reasons why if the reports are true. It’s already been shown to you over and over that J State’s coaches and WR’s are better than what FSU is rolling out every week. Norvell or Deion as a DB, not much of a decision. Plus, he’ll play day one, game one likely.

He’s a 6’1” Sr DB with virtually a 1.0 rating, an NFL team would draft him sooner rather than later assuming he continues to grow. Unless he just shits the bed, getting drafted should not be an issue and if he shits the bed it was never going to work anyways. Your mindset is why college football is controlled by a few teams at this point, the spread of talent is good for the sport and an HBCU getting this kind of recognition is just good overall.

Ultimately, why does it matter to you enough to come type the same thing 10+ times? Personally, I think what Deion is doing down there is infinitely more interesting than what is going on in most of college football right now. It’s going to suck if he just spins it to an FSU job soon, but that’s his prerogative.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, B00M said:

That's great for a DB. You never get exposed if they never throw at you. As long as he stays healthy, the NFL will give him the benefit of the doubt and he'll go in the 1st round.

BJ Foster is a DB too. Remember the playmaking potential he flashed as a freshman? I bet he'd be getting drafted this year if he chose to go this route. Instead he injured his shoulders non-stop early in his Texas career, understandably lost the big hitter edge he came in with, and has lost a step. No chance he gets drafted now. 

Lulz, are you really insinuating that BJ Foster would have a better chance to get drafted if he went to Jackson State? If BJ Foster wanted to play in the NFL, he'd put in the work to do so, period. And as it stands, the only reason he would have a chance to get on a practice squad or play in the NFL is because the team would say "well, he was good enough to play at and start at Texas, so we'll give him a shot".

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Lulz, are you really insinuating that BJ Foster would have a better chance to get drafted if he went to Jackson State? If BJ Foster wanted to play in the NFL, he'd put in the work to do so, period. And as it stands, the only reason he would have a chance to get on a practice squad or play in the NFL is because the team would say "well, he was good enough to play at and start at Texas, so we'll give him a shot".

Hard work always overcomes injuries and bad coaching.

And the team with the most talent always wins.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He’ll get instruction from Deion, get his game together, and then transfer to a P5 school his last 2 years of eligibility. That’s the way the College athletics are evolving today.

Yeah this could have been the second post in a two post thread. It's not that difficult, he's going to bank a massive NIL deal and see what Deion can do, then he'll transfer to Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

don't tell me that if your kid was a music prodigy with offers to go to Juilliard and Berklee that you'd just send them to Appalachian State instead, all because their favorite cellist got a job there.

Since this is my field, I’ll deal with this one. If Yo-Yo Ma started teaching at App State and your kid got into that studio, you’d absolutely support that, even over the big conservatories.

The music performance school field is mostly driven by the teachers. The “best school” varies wildly on the instrument and career goals. For some instruments, it might be Juilliard, others Colburn, others Curtis, others Rice, others etc. It’s all driven by the teachers who put kids into the jobs they want.

When the individual teachers move, the “best schools” change. The other stuff — peers, ensembles, opportunity for freelance work, rigor of other classes, etc — matters, but not as much as that one teacher.

Edited by Mole
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Isn't this essentially the same as saying "yeah well Michael Dell and Steve Jobs never went to college and look how they turned out!"

Steve Jobs and Michael Dell played DB? I didn’t know that about that them. 
Or are you saying talent always finds a way… whether it’s the path people want you to go, or the path of your own blazing… 

• Haha 1

Just now, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Steve Jobs and Michael Dell played DB? I didn’t know that about that them. 
Or are you saying talent always finds a way… whether it’s the path people want you to go, or the path of your own blazing… 

I'm saying you're taking a major exception and acting like it's the norm, or at least normish.

Edited by Pam Cummings

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm saying you're taking a major exception and acting like it's the norm, or at least normish.

Is that what I am saying? 
Hmm. I thought I was saying there is precedent for DBs to choose their own college that is not a helmet university or even D-1A and still do well in the NFL.

Why do what everyone else is doing …when you can choose your own path (Jobs and Dell?).

Unless you won the lucky zygote lottery, there are many ways to accomplish things in life. There is no one true fail proof way. There are many ways. 
Support em all. Don’t hate. Congratulate. 

Edited by JerrysJheriCurl
  • Hook 'Em 2

i raise him to understand that he isn't going to get any better by surrounding himself with players who are all inferior to him, plus a subpar/unproven coaching staff.

Maybe I’m wrong but I’m going to guess based on this statement that you don’t have kids.

17 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

the number of posts in this thread saying, "but jerry rice and walter payton!!!!" is embarrassing. jackson state hasn't had a player taken in the nfl draft since 2008, when they had one guy taken in the 6th round. meanwhile 63 Noles have been drafted since then, including the likes of Xavier Rhodes, Devonta Freeman, Jalen Ramsey, Dalvin Cook, and Asante Samuel Jr, not to mention Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston. 

but yeah, for sure, everyone please keep arguing as if Jackson State and Florida State (or any other major D-1 program) is the same thing when it comes to developing football talent. 👌🏼 

the number of posts in this thread saying, "but jerry rice and walter payton!!!!" is embarrassing. jackson state hasn't had a player taken in the nfl draft since 2008, when they had one guy taken in the 6th round. meanwhile 63 Noles have been drafted since then, including the likes of Xavier Rhodes, Devonta Freeman, Jalen Ramsey, Dalvin Cook, and Asante Samuel Jr, not to mention Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston. 

but yeah, for sure, everyone please keep arguing as if Jackson State and Florida State (or any other major D-1 program) is the same thing when it comes to developing football talent. 👌🏼 

No one said it was the same thing. We are saying if you got the goods it really doesn’t fucking matter.

• Hook 'Em 3

i would love to hear the people in this thread try and make the same argument when it comes to academics. Why go to McCombs School of Business when you could just go to Jackson State? Why go to Rice to be an engineer when you could go to Jackson State? Why go to Harvard Law when you could just go to Jackson State? if you're good at what you do at 18 years old then it's all the same anyway. you don't need anymore training. the top hospitals and law firms will find you no matter where you go! yeah, that's the ticket!

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Quinn Ewers is dumb for committing to Texas. Should have gone to McNeese State or Abilene Christian. I mean what's the difference?

By your logic Ewers is dumb for committing to Texas because we are a fucking trainwreck and he is likely to get killed playing on a 6 win team for the next couple of years and instead should be trying to beat out Klubnick at Clemson.

Also please stop comparing Florida State to Juilliard. One is considered the preeminent music school in America, the other finished 5th in their division.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

All those players named would have been drafted if the elected to go to JSU instead. That is the point that continues to go over your head. NFL isn't handicapped to drafting players from P5 universities only. And if lowly 2, and 3 star players can go to small schools and still get drafted why do you think a kid that is arguably the top ranked HS player in the nation will have any issue getting drafted from JSU?

i would love to hear the people in this thread try and make the same argument when it comes to academics. Why go to McCombs School of Business when you could just go to Jackson State? Why go to Rice to be an engineer when you could go to Jackson State? Why go to Harvard Law when you could just go to Jackson State? if you're good at what you do at 18 years old then it's all the same anyway. you don't need anymore training. the top hospitals and law firms will find you no matter where you go! yeah, that's the ticket!

You are a goal post moving kinda guy…and for the record. This particular kid ain’t going to college to get a degree. He is simply buying his required time.

Meanwhile his head coach has multiple endorsement deals, is surrounded by both current and ex NFL players, and is probably agreed to get the kid on somebody’s payroll.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Maybe I’m wrong but I’m going to guess based on this statement that you don’t have kids.

several of you have said this or equivalent, and no, i don't have kids (you're welcome). but i do mentor a high-major D-1 athlete, and i did help him choose which college he would attend, and  never once considered any I-AA schools or HBCU's, because that would not have been best for his development. In the end my guy chose to go to a blue blood school with a HC who has an exemplary pedigree as both a coach and a talent developer. AAMOF, this kid specifically ruled out Texas because Shaka Smart was subpar. this line of thinking made sense then, and it still makes perfect sense right now. if you want to be a high achiever in your field, you go to the place that will most help you maximize your potential. 

Edited by shadow_operative

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

if they are a prodigy, it doesn't matter where they go to school.  That's the point.

You and the professor seem to have similar philosophies...

grosslambeau.jpg

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I'm arguing that he'll get drafted and get 1 decent NFL contract. Whether or not he's actually prepared to succeed in the NFL is another argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Is that what I am saying? 
Hmm. I thought I was saying there is precedent for DBs to choose their own college that is not a helmet university or even D-1A and still do well in the NFL.

Why do what everyone else is doing …when you can choose your own path (Jobs and Dell?).

Unless you won the lucky zygote lottery, there are many ways to accomplish things in life. There is no one true fail proof way. There are many ways. 
Support em all. Don’t hate. Congratulate. 

Not really hating, just somewhat questioning. Nothing wrong with picking an option that gets him paid, and he can transfer if he wants with no penalty. 

Good for this young man on getting paid and getting coached by one of the greatest (if not the greatest) DB’s to ever play the game. I am glad he’ll be at JSU and hopefully the experience is good for him.

I haven’t been to a college football game in a long time, but going to see JSU this coming season seems like it would be fun seeing the on-field product instead of just showing up to see the SONIC BOOM.