Sugar Bowl - Ole Miss vs Fuck Baylor

Surly Bevo

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This simply isn't true in football. 

You're the type poster that gets mocked in the recruiting threads and rightfully so. You will call for Sark's head and then in year 2 hype a guy that was even worse than Sark in year 1. 

Let me put it this way, if Texas had the resume of all the hires after Briles you would want them fired. Look at TS12's posts above....Texas and Baylor have been very similar teams in the last 6 seasons outside of a conference championship and Texas has more top 25 finishes. 

I never wanted Sark to begin with. I said it was a poor hire when it happened and I stand by that. Baylor has 2 post-Briles hires that have been fantastic.  The fact that you had to say "outside of a conference championship" says it all.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

We have a generational problem in regards to athletics leadership at out university for the 2 sports that matter.

Texas definitely has an issue hiring coaches in football but you're about to be very wrong in men's basketball. Beard was considered a top 10 coach by most, is bringing in 5 star talent, and currently has a top 15 team in year 1 by almost every advanced metric. 

Texas is committed to winning in men's basketball and I don't know how you could question "athletics leadership" based on the current climate. They just hired a top 10 coach, are building a new arena, and are going all out with salaries to poach great assistants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas definitely has an issue hiring coaches in football but you're about to be very wrong in men's basketball. Beard was considered a top 10 coach by most, is bringing in 5 star talent, and currently has a top 15 team in year 1 by almost every advanced metric. 

Texas is committed to winning in men's basketball and I don't know how you could question "athletics leadership" based on the current climate. They just hired a top 10 coach, are building a new arena, and are going all out with salaries to poach great assistants. 

I know very little about football and absolutely nothing about basketball. I hope you are right.

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yet, Texas has more top 25 finishes during the same period. The same school you says sucks at football. Funny how that works. 

Would you trade those top 25 finishes in that period for one conference title in that period? I would. 99% of this board would. CDC would. Obviously, you wouldn't.

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

We went 35 years between national titles last time. It took arguably the greatest player in the history of CFB to carry us to that title. I sure hope I am wrong about Sark, and he wins big, but there is a real possibility that no one on this board will ever see another national title in football. We have a generational problem in regards to athletics leadership at out university for the 2 sports that matter. We just had our worst losing streak in a half century. We are about as close to winning a national title in football as we are in hockey. 

The list of teams that have title droughts longer than ours is long.

We'll be fine.

13 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I never wanted Sark to begin with. I said it was a poor hire when it happened and I stand by that. Baylor has 2 post-Briles hires that have been fantastic.  The fact that you had to say "outside of a conference championship" says it all.

Angry fan overreaction aside (guilty), we won't know if Sark was a poor hire for at least two more seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

Would you trade those top 25 finishes in that period for one conference title in that period? I would. 99% of this board would. CDC would. Obviously, you wouldn't.

The Big 12 sucks which is why nobody sniffed a playoff appearance this year. Of course I would take a Big 12 championship but winning the Big 12 is like winning the minor league these days compared to the SEC and Big 10. 

It's just hilarious that posters like you will run over here to say "look at these great hires made by Baylor" while "Texas sucks" when Texas has more top 25 finishes during the same period. 

Again, you're the type poster that gets mocked in the recruiting thread because you have no perspective. You would have wanted Aranda fired last season. 

We have a generational problem in regards to athletics leadership at out university for the 2 sports that matter. We just had our worst losing streak in a half century. We are about as close to winning a national title in football as we are in hockey. 

I’m under no delusion that Baylor is a better job than Texas. That’s ridiculous. But I think there’s a cultural sickness at the top that will (or should) give the very best coaches pause.

So no, I don’t think Aranda is tempted by Texas today if you fire Sark after one year. He’d arguably be held to higher standard than Sarkisian.

And I almost spit out my peppermint mocha at Baylor being a stepping stone job for Kim Mulkey. Legit guffaw.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

I’m under no delusion that Baylor is a better job than Texas. That’s ridiculous. But I think there’s a cultural sickness at the top that will (or should) give the very best coaches pause.

This is all bullshit. Texas just won the Director's Cup because they win across the board. "Cultural sickness" doesn't stop other coaches from winning. David Pierce just made the CWS semis in baseball with the #1 preseason team in the country returning. Beard already has Texas rolling in men's basketball. 

Texas sucks in football because they make bad hires not because of these dumb narratives like "cultural sickness". Now those bad hires, IMO, are because the BMDs are too involved in that process but it's not some cultural problem at Texas that prevents winning as almost every other program in the athletic department is winning. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

So no, I don’t think Aranda is tempted by Texas today if you fire Sark after one year. He’d arguably be held to higher standard than Sarkisian.

And I almost spit out my peppermint mocha at Baylor being a stepping stone job for Kim Mulkey. Legit guffaw.

Wait, so you really ARE a girl?  Are you hot? Pics not loading. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

Like Mulkey couldn't have bailed much sooner if she were using BU as a stepping stone?

Indeed, it's laughable aggy logic

• Haha 1

The Big 12 sucks which is why nobody sniffed a playoff appearance this year. Of course I would take a Big 12 championship but winning the Big 12 is like winning the minor league these days compared to the SEC and Big 10. 

How can you say the big 12 sucks when we have two NYD wins and 4-2 in bowls overall? We suck at currying media bias I guess. Middling tech slaughtered middling MSU and cyclones gave Clemson a close game.

1 minute ago, harpercollins said:

How can you say the big 12 sucks when we have two NYD wins and 4-2 in bowls overall? We suck at currying media bias I guess. Middling tech slaughtered middling MSU and cyclones gave Clemson a close game.

There's no top tier team in the conference which is why barring expansion of the playoff it will be the 3rd year in a row no Big 12 team is in the playoff. 

The Big 12 has zero playoff wins in 8 years of its existence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Pole assassins monkey would have that record at Texas 

I'm not saying Texas has been good in football.

I'm arguing it's absurd to say "Baylor has made 2 great hires post Briles" and in the same sentence say "Texas sucks" when Texas has more top 25 finishes during the same period. 

24 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Angry fan overreaction aside (guilty), we won't know if Sark was a poor hire for at least two more seasons. 

Year one was a mixed bag. Seems like most times year 2 performance is the big key.  With the state of our lines and the recruiting class, it may be year 3 before we really know- unless some of those big line recruits start portalling during or after next season. Then we will know it’s not working. 

5 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

And I think SEC Big 10 media bias has a good bit to do with that.

I don't. 

Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio State would win the Big 12 almost every year the last 6 or so seasons. Then you have other teams, like the LSU team, that were better than any other Big 12 team during that stretch. 

OU gets spanked every year they make the playoff and they've been the cream of the crop in the Big 12 for almost the entire decade. There isn't a top tier team in the conference and that has nothing to do with bias.  

Edited by Rickylovesweed

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm not saying Texas has been good in football.

I'm arguing it's absurd to say "Baylor has made 2 great hires post Briles" and in the same sentence say "Texas sucks" when Texas has more top 25 finishes during the same period. 

Texas has been a woeful underperformer relative to its resources, including perennial top recruiting classes that somehow don’t translate into on-field success. That’s the headscratcher, and what drives Horns fans crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't. 
Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio State would win the Big 12 almost every year the last 6 or so seasons. Then you have other teams, like the LSU team, that were better than any other Big 12 team during that stretch. 
OU gets spanked every year they make the playoff and they've been the cream of the crop in the Big 12 for almost the entire decade. There isn't a top tier team in the conference and that has nothing to do with bias.  

I’m pretty sure they took Georgia to overtime. I only remember one spanking and that was last year.

I agree Alabama Georgia Clemson and Ohio state have been dominant and better than big 12 teams. I still feel like big 12 has been disrespected. (Not Texas. You guys get way too much respect in preseason rankings.)
  • Hook 'Em 1

That was a tough game to watch as a fan. Prolly was for non-fans too. Teams with a strong defense and a meaty okra offense that just find ways to win are never sexy. I'm still not a big fan of what Grimes is doing on offense (probably because it's not splashy) and I'm not sure how long it will be successful, there were a lot of lucky moments this season. Then again he showed a lot of creative ways to generate big plays and scores so what do I know? Bohannon was serviceable this year but that's a position that needs to be upgraded. The loss of QB1 by Missip was a game changer, impossible to know which team would have won if he had not gone down. That's how foosball go I guess. Aranda's compulsive 4th down behavior is maddening. 

Lebby leaving for OU is an interesting storyline. I think his offense could be just what OUSUX needs and that he'll be able to maximize the talent that LR seemingly couldn't. It'll be interesting to see how that develops.

Anyway, random thoughts on what I guess some could argue was the best season in BU football history. Sic 'em. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, txindep said:

Texas has been a woeful underperformer relative to its resources, including perennial top recruiting classes that somehow don’t translate into on-field success. That’s the headscratcher, and what drives Horns fans crazy. 

It's not a headscratcher at all. We've hired coaches who failed at the job. That's all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

If Baylor was a destination job, she'd still be there but she's not. 

3 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

She only left because she was finally getting put in her place and Rhodes wasn’t gonna let her run roughshod over the program-plus I’m sure she missed McCaw letting her do whatever she wants. 

Mulkey got told "You'd better take that LSU job, cause we're not putting up with your shit, anymore." It all came down to the new basketball arena. Mulkey wanted it on campus, in between the Ferrell Center and the baseball and softball stadiums. Baylor was in negotiations with City of Waco and some private developers to put it on the bank of the Brazos, on the downtown side of I-35. The arena project will cost $185 million. Waco's chipping in $65 million, and it's going to anchor a $700 million downtown river development. 

They told Mulkey several times to STFU, they were going to put a statue of her up in front of the new arena, and make everything look smooth on the outside. She wouldn't shut up. Completing the negotiations required meet and greets with a lot of people with serious money, and Baylor was tired of Mulkey showing her ass at every possible moment, and they weren't going to let her go into negotiation meetings screaming about having the arena in an area that was too small and was going to remove about 50% of the parking from the three other facilities there. 

She'd been a pain in the ass for years, and you can usually get away with being an ass when you're winning, BUT when the money boys tell you to sit down and STFU, you either do it or go someplace else. 

Both sides have been quiet about it, but it wasn't Mulkey's choice. 

The only coach who's voluntarily left Baylor since I started covering them in around 2006* is Matt Rhule, and he was writing his number on NFL bathroom stalls before he got the Baylor job. 

*Disclaimer: I don't cover anything except football, basketball and women's basketball, and I cover as little women's basketball as I have to. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I was very conflicted in this game as I frigging hate both Baylor and Ole Piss; but the Baylor hate is most definitely higher.  But on the other hand, I really like Aranda and can't stand Freshwater.  In the end it didn't make a shit that Baylor won and I hope Aranda goes to a legit program that doesn't rape and kill its students sooner rather than later.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm not jealous of their program's shameful scandals, but yeah I'm a bit envious of the way they find ways to not suck at football.

I can also admit when other schools have good football teams and we don't without having to put qualifiers and whataboutism around it.

Although to be fair I'm far less in awe of what Baylor is doing and far more frustrated with what we're not able to do.

This^

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I agree. Texas has to learn not to settle for winning the big baller, shot caller off season sweepstakes. Teams can’t just organically be good. They have to become good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The only coach who's voluntarily left Baylor since I started covering them in around 2006* is Matt Rhule, and he was writing his number on NFL bathroom stalls before he got the Baylor job. 

I’ll never blame any coach, especially one with young kids, for going to the NFL. Recruiting schedules and kissing the asses of sixteen year olds and their mamas seems like it totally sucks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Thats pretty obvious. Only a limited number of superconference spots.

Hey, every basketball school got its start somewhere.

Hopefully McLane can be paid for and be kept reasonably full. Taking on more and more debt in pursuit of athletic's dollars may prove to be a bad financial strategy for Baylor. I hope not but I'm not one to get real optimistic long term based on some relatively short term results. Markets tend to have a way of correcting themselves. 

18 hours ago, harpercollins said:

I’ll never blame any coach, especially one with young kids, for going to the NFL. Recruiting schedules and kissing the asses of sixteen year olds and their mamas seems like it totally sucks.

Kissing ass of a 16 year old and kissing ass of a 25 year old nfl star is still kissing ass.

both taste the same.

shitty.

Edited by TexasTroll

20 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Mulkey got told "You'd better take that LSU job, cause we're not putting up with your shit, anymore." It all came down to the new basketball arena. Mulkey wanted it on campus, in between the Ferrell Center and the baseball and softball stadiums. Baylor was in negotiations with City of Waco and some private developers to put it on the bank of the Brazos, on the downtown side of I-35. The arena project will cost $185 million. Waco's chipping in $65 million, and it's going to anchor a $700 million downtown river development. 

They told Mulkey several times to STFU, they were going to put a statue of her up in front of the new arena, and make everything look smooth on the outside. She wouldn't shut up. Completing the negotiations required meet and greets with a lot of people with serious money, and Baylor was tired of Mulkey showing her ass at every possible moment, and they weren't going to let her go into negotiation meetings screaming about having the arena in an area that was too small and was going to remove about 50% of the parking from the three other facilities there. 

She'd been a pain in the ass for years, and you can usually get away with being an ass when you're winning, BUT when the money boys tell you to sit down and STFU, you either do it or go someplace else. 

Both sides have been quiet about it, but it wasn't Mulkey's choice. 

*Disclaimer: I don't cover anything except football, basketball and women's basketball, and I cover as little women's basketball as I have to. 

this is exactly how this went down...

On 1/2/2022 at 12:00 PM, El Diablo said:

Teams with a strong defense and a meaty okra offense that just find ways to win are never sexy.

Seems like a meaty okra offense would be offensive indeed. 

Baylor will have another mega-scandal. It’s just a matter of time. They have a massive cultural problem, a combination of Napoleon complex and holier-than-thou attitude. Their fan base and BMDs will do absolutely anything to win, while simultaneously telling themselves that it’s this little garden spot of clean cut, chaste boys and girls. Nothing bad ever happens there and, if it does, it must be the fault of the loose little hussies. 

That combination allows morally decrepit people like Bliss and Briles to run rampant/create havoc. They take advantage of the see no evil atmosphere, and rationalization, to create horrific situations. They can pass all the Title 9 reforms they want, the underlying culture is repugnant. Little Amber/Olivia/Zoe may well be statistically safer there than at Big State U, but if the worst happens, she is in the absolute worst place in the world and will be shunned and slut-shamed right off the campus. Any dad that sends his daughter there should have his head examined.

So good for their fans. They have a NC in basketball and 2 B12 champs in CFB. They’re still the most revolting pieces of excrement in big-time college sports, right up there with Pedo U.

The next Bliss or Briles will happen—may already be on campus. 

OUsux and aggy is a joke. Baylor is just plain offensive. 

Edited by nnm
  • Like 1