Texas Women's Tennis 2022

Js1

9 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Gutsy win in the breaker. If we didnt take that, this whole thing wouldve been up for grabs by either team. 

Both breakers.  And both went down a break early in the 2nd set and broke back to force them.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Is Stearns the only one that turns pro?

Also, gutsy effort by Stearns the last 2 nights after getting spanked by the #1 singles player. She's mentally tough. 

Pretty sure unless something massively changes, Stearns will be the only one

No one else on the roster (other than Zeynalova) was convincingly dominating this season

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Gutsy win in the breaker. If we didnt take that, this whole thing wouldve been up for grabs by either team. 

Yeah, the match might have gone down to the wire if both those tiebreakers hadn't been won by the Longhorns.

Just Awesome !!!  🤘

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas is the heavy favorite in rowing. They should be slight favorites in outdoor track and field (both women and men). 

This could be a historic year if things fall right. Has Texas ever won 5 national titles in the same year? 

Prob not 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

How about Allura's weekend? Just clinched the last three matches, no biggie. 

And its so fitting and a testament to resiliency that her "lowest of low" moment was losing to OU in Norman after shanking an easy overhead at the match that would have beaten OU and given Texas the Big 12 regular season title. Here, she wins the tiebreaker against OU to win the national championship. Yeah, thats how you make amends 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

And its so fitting and a testament to resiliency that her "lowest of low" moment was losing to OU in Norman after shanking an easy overhead at the match that would have beaten OU and given Texas the Big 12 regular season title. Here, she wins the tiebreaker against OU to win the national championship. Yeah, thats how you make amends 

Love that story 

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Just named Tournament MOP

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Didn’t he come here because College Station was too backwards?

Joffe is literally a 'west coast' type of personality and I don't think he could see himself spending his whole time in CS (also the UT job was not the first job he applied to get out of CS). Also his then girlfriend at the time was also living in Austin. So win-win for both parties!

• Hook 'Em 1

So my analysis of the match:

Texas came out ready in doubles and OU seemed to be flat footed. Collins was great at the net with her hands. Pretty sure Collins and Stearns would have won too if their match had played out. Also with Chantra out, the change was evident. Don't think the new pairing of Staker and Guzman is the best doubles combination; both seem to grind and don't make 'set up shots' for their partners.

Line 1- Peyton was Peyton. If you include the previous matches, she has won 25 straight games against Sleeth! Sleeth has actually had a good season too.

Line 2-Expected with the split sets. Both Collins and the younger Corley like to slug things out. 

Line 3-Also expected I guess. The older Corley (and to some extent her younger sister) plays a high risk game- low toss, stands extremely close to the service line for second serve, tends to hit on the rise with a compact swing. Zeynalova is just too consistent. Even when down 2-5, I had no doubts Zeynalova would win.

Line 4-Wow did Charlotte hit a brick wall. After breaking her opponent in the first game of the second set, she would go on to lose 11 of the next 12 games! Nice to see her fight and she was on the verge of 3-5 when the match ended.

Line 5-Got to admit Zamarippa was the surprise of the tournament for me! She played better with each match. Her serve was better than in the regular season and I think that was what the difference was in yesterday's and today's match. Her UNC third set was really high quality. Both players were holding serves until the last game, much better than the stress inducing breakathons you'd expect in college tennis.

Line 6-Ovrootsky did not play the big points well. Seemed like she lost every deuce point. In the back of my mind, I was wondering if Rapolu would get the chance to play. Ovrootsky has not had a good NCAA tournament.

Also I'd like to say Joffe really outcoached his counterpart. Made a change in line three late doubles so late in the season takes guts. The new pairing (Zeynalova and B. Zamarripa) went undefeated this weekend!

Edited by Aleemay
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas is the heavy favorite in rowing. They should be slight favorites in outdoor track and field (both women and men). 

This could be a historic year if things fall right. Has Texas ever won 5 national titles in the same year? 

Have we already won one this year?

2 hours ago, Aleemay said:

So my analysis of the match:

Texas came out ready in doubles and OU seemed to be flat footed. Collins was great at the net with her hands. Pretty sure Collins and Stearns would have won too if their match had played out. Also with Chantra out, the change was evident. Don't think the new pairing of Staker and Guzman is the best doubles combination; both seem to grind and don't make 'set up shots' for their partners.

Line 1- Peyton was Peyton. If you include the previous matches, she has won 25 straight games against Sleeth! Sleeth has actually had a good season too.

Line 2-Expected with the split sets. Both Collins and the younger Corley like to slug things out. 

Line 3-Also expected I guess. The older Corley (and to some extent her younger sister) plays a high risk game- low toss, stands extremely close to the service line for second serve, tends to hit on the rise with a compact swing. Zeynalova is just too consistent. Even when down 2-5, I had no doubts Zeynalova would win.

Line 4-Wow did Charlotte hit a brick wall. After breaking her opponent in the first game of the second set, she would go on to lose 11 of the next 12 games! Nice to see her fight and she was on the verge of 3-5 when the match ended.

Line 5-Got to admit Zamarippa was the surprise of the tournament for me! She played better with each match. Her serve was better than in the regular season and I think that was what the difference was in yesterday's and today's match. Her UNC third set was really high quality. Both players were holding serves until the last game, much better than the stress inducing breakathons you'd expect in college tennis.

Line 6-Ovrootsky did not play the big points well. Seemed like she lost every deuce point. In the back of my mind, I was wondering if Rapolu would get the chance to play. Ovrootsky has not had a good NCAA tournament.

Also I'd like to say Joffe really outcoached his counterpart. Made a change in line three late doubles so late in the season takes guts. The new pairing (Zeynalova and B. Zamarripa) went undefeated this weekend!

I wonder if Texas is looking for a line 1 player as a transfer. 

To me, that looks to be the only potential weakness for next year's team. Not sure that type player is available but OU's line 1 player was a transfer from UF this season. 

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I believe we have never won more than 4 in a year iirc

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/2022/05/23/texas-back-back-ncaa-womens-champions-win-over-oklahoma/9887569002/

Congratulations to all  !      Enjoy lurking this thread with great info.

Above story from AAS gives a nice summary  with great player/coach quotes and mutual respect from Joffe and OU's Cohen.   

• Like 1

I scrolled over to Texags to see what they were saying about Joffe and there's some good material. Some funny excuses and rationalizations. 

https://texags.com/forums/10/topics/3263951/0

Spoiler

purposely stayed away from this forum after i saw tu won...again. i strongly believe we had the best outdoor team in the nation this year, and i'm disappointed that our team had to play ou indoors. 

Ummm no, you played an extremely soft schedule and lost to the first legit team you played in the tournament. Texas didn't make excuses about playing UNC indoors. 

• Haha 1