Flatonia - lightning capital of the US

ztejas

My main memory of Flatonia was back in the day, on family trips on I-10 to see family in S. Texas, we'd stop for fried catfish at Grumpy's.
s-l400.jpg
It was good shit.

My main memory of Flatonia was back in the day, on family trips on I-10 to see family in S. Texas, we'd stop for fried catfish at Grumpy's.
s-l400.jpg
It was good shit.

In HS, we’d go out near there at a friend’s ranch. We went to Grumpy’s and the whole way there a buddy was going on and on about steak was either rare or ruined. To prove his point, he ordered a rare 1/2 pound burger “as rare as you can make it” and that thing may have saw the griddle for 5 seconds a side. He could barely stomach it. We made him eat it anyway.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

To prove his point, he ordered a rare 1/2 pound burger “as rare as you can make it” and that thing may have saw the griddle for 5 seconds a side. He could barely stomach it. We made him eat it anyway.

"Pussy"

- People from Wisconsin

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

rip grumpy's and frank's

Umm, Frank’s.  Ate many a Schulenburger there.  Also when I was in junior high we played Flatonia in football.  They had chiggers on their football field.  It was horrible.  And it was either there or at Shiner that they had to stop play once to kill a small rattlesnake that the chain crew discovered under one of those fold-up yardline markers.  The guy beat it to death with the down marker pole. 

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2022 at 2:11 PM, Brisketexan said:

s-l400.jpg

It was good shit.

Funny how things like this stick with you.  Grumpy's was our 1/2 way stop when driving from Bellville to San Antonio as a kid.

There was another place around Victoria or Refugio -Diamond something or other- that we always stopped at when driving from Bellville to South Padre.  I bet they were pretty disgusting, both of them, compared to a Buc'ees or something similar today.