2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

Keeping an eye on potential TV overlap:

If baseball loses tonight, they play the loser’s bracket game at 12pm tomorrow. Softball plays at 2pm

If baseball wins tonight, they play at 6pm on Saturday. Softball plays at 2pm

If softball loses, they play their first elimination game on Sunday at 7pm. Baseball’s regional championship (game 6) is 7pm Sunday as well. 

Baseball’s regional final game 7 (if necessary) is 2pm Monday. Softball’s bracket champ games if we flip down are 7pm and 9:30pm (if necessary). If we win Saturday, our bracket champ games are 12 and 2:30

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Keeping an eye on potential TV overlap:

If baseball loses tonight, they play the loser’s bracket game at 12pm tomorrow. Softball plays at 2pm

If baseball wins tonight, they play at 6pm on Saturday. Softball plays at 2pm

If softball loses, they play their first elimination game on Sunday at 7pm. Baseball’s regional championship (game 6) is 7pm Sunday as well. 

Baseball’s regional final game 7 (if necessary) is 2pm Monday. Softball’s bracket champ games if we flip down are 7pm and 9:30pm (if necessary). If we win Saturday, our bracket champ games are 12 and 2:30

This is why God invented tablets

Looking at who OU may throw against us - either Trautwein or May pitched a couple innings in a run-rule loss in game 2 of our series.  We didn't see them as much as Bahl (14 IP), who is unlikely to start but may pitch in relief 

Trautwein - 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K
May - 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K

Both Simpson and Czech struggled badly, whereas HD did very well in games 1 and 3.   However, Simpson was still coming back from injury in mid-April.  Her last outing was masterful. 

Without a doubt, 100%, Dolcini will start on Saturday.  She's a senior, she has the experience, she wants the ball and what she did against OU in 2 games, against OSU in 2 games, against UW and against Arky in game 2 means she gets the ball.

Mike has to be fully confident Simpson can win us a game on Sunday if we don't win on Saturday after her Arkansas game 3 performance. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The other side of the bracket is weak. 

OU, Texas, and UCLA are better better than the 2nd best team on that side of the bracket. 

I will agree with that. Ok State got very lucky. We should send OU down there tomorrow to make it harder. Ya know

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The purists will say you shouldn't re-seed, because it's not fair to the underdogs to get paired with the top seeds versus inheriting the seed of the team they beat.  That's fine, but...

OU
Arizona
Northwestern
Florida

OK State
Oregon State
UCLA
Texas

Those look much more balanced than what it is now

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Big 12 is now a ridiculous 18-2 in the postseason.  After tomorrow, it could be 19-4 or 20-3 since a Big 12 team has to lose. 

Just more reason it was dumb that Texas didn't even host a regional. 

Not that I'm complaining, it seems like Texas is playing with a chip on their shoulder because of it. Also, playing on the road the last two weekends has prepared us for OKC. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Also I feel like I wrote off Alyssa Washington for next year as a candidate to be displaced by one of the freshman or the portal, but she's been pretty solid as she's slowly developing, offensively.  Defensively, she's getting more and more comfortable and making some really good plays. 

Her .938 fielding is bad.  No way around that.  But we've played decent defensively since the Baylor series, outside of game 1 versus Arky when the wheels fell off.  Since back to back 2 error games against Baylor, our errors have been 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 0, 0, 0

Same thing with Mia Scott - 16 errors on the year at the hot corner (.873 fielding) but she's a freshman.  She handled some really tough plays lately. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Looking at who OU may throw against us - either Trautwein or May pitched a couple innings in a run-rule loss in game 2 of our series.  We didn't see them as much as Bahl (14 IP), who is unlikely to start but may pitch in relief 

OU went with Trautwein vs aggy in the 1-0 game in the Regional and the first game of the SR vs UCF.    

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also I feel like I wrote off Alyssa Washington for next year as a candidate to be displaced by one of the freshman or the portal, but she's been pretty solid as she's slowly developing, offensively.  Defensively, she's getting more and more comfortable and making some really good plays. 

Agree,  great improvement.    

Leighann Goode,  Texas signee shortstop is in town this weekend with San Antonio O'Connor for the State Tournament.    Read she played travel ball with Scott and Simpson.    Finals may be televised if a listing can be found.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, torre said:

Re:  Trautwein     Just noticed she started game 1 at the WCWS.   4.2 with 88 pitches but a day of rest.   They may stick with her due to experience vs the soph May.

I also believe it will be Trautwein.  Dolcini versus Trautwein was not a regular season matchup, that should be fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's also a good example of what college sports are now. Two transfer pitchers in a game of this magnitude. 

Expect White to be very active in the portal after the season is over with all this momentum. 

I know the Florida schools are pushing hard for Storoko but White will hopefully be actively part of that recruitment.  Probably still a few pitchers from super/WCWS teams who will enter.  One of his former recruits, KLIETHERMES from Oregon, is in the portal. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

Both Simpson and Czech struggled badly, whereas HD did very well in games 1 and 3.   However, Simpson was still coming back from injury in mid-April.  Her last outing was masterful. 

Without a doubt, 100%, Dolcini will start on Saturday.  She's a senior, she has the experience, she wants the ball and what she did against OU in 2 games, against OSU in 2 games, against UW and against Arky in game 2 means she gets the ball.

Mike has to be fully confident Simpson can win us a game on Sunday if we don't win on Saturday after her Arkansas game 3 performance. 

I'd be surprised if it's not Trautwein.

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

The purists will say you shouldn't re-seed, because it's not fair to the underdogs to get paired with the top seeds versus inheriting the seed of the team they beat.  That's fine, but...

OU
Arizona
Northwestern
Florida

OK State
Oregon State
UCLA
Texas

Those look much more balanced than what it is now

I think ya'll forgetting that until we beat UCLA, the nation did not look at us as a legitimate contender. 

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

Her .938 fielding is bad.  No way around that.  But we've played decent defensively since the Baylor series, outside of game 1 versus Arky when the wheels fell off.  Since back to back 2 error games against Baylor, our errors have been 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 0, 0, 0

Same thing with Mia Scott - 16 errors on the year at the hot corner (.873 fielding) but she's a freshman.  She handled some really tough plays lately. 

Mia still makes me nervous, I think it's the way she throws. Her release is very odd but she's been fantastic. I also never expected Washington to play at this level. She continues to get better, playing SS at a high level and has handled the bat like a vet lately.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well why not get some info. Here's our incoming HS class. Appreciate the additional detail and/or info. Anyone i'm missing?

Reese Atwood - C/IB, seems like a plus catcher who can hit. Highly rated.

Leighann Goode - SS/2B

Citlay Gutierrez - RHP

Maddie Pomykalski - UTL - Supposed to be very fast.

Viviana Martinez - SS/2B, seems to be a complete stud.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Goodman said:

Well why not get some info. Here's our incoming HS class. Appreciate the additional detail and/or info. Anyone i'm missing?

Reese Atwood - C/IB, seems like a plus catcher who can hit. Highly rated.

Leighann Goode - SS/2B

Citlay Gutierrez - RHP

Maddie Pomykalski - UTL - Supposed to be very fast.

Viviana Martinez - SS/2B, seems to be a complete stud.

Atwood, Goode and Martinez are all highly rated. Atwood will immediately be in the catching rotation with Cimusz and JJ Smith. One of Goode or Martinez will likely end up at 2B

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No surprises. 

Trautwein vs Dolcini. 

If/when Trautwein gets into trouble, it'll be interesting to see if Gasso brings in Bahl or May. Bahl (13 innings) and Trautwein (2.1 innings) did considerably better than May vs the Horns in Austin.

Should be a great game.

4 minutes ago, quigley said:

If/when Trautwein gets into trouble, it'll be interesting to see if Gasso brings in Bahl or May. Bahl (13 innings) and Trautwein (2.1 innings) did considerably better than May vs the Horns in Austin.

Should be a great game.

Trautwein - 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K
They got Bahl for 4 runs in the third game