TX teen bros beat stepdad to death for molesting their little sister

Helobious

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The $1 million bails kind of makes me think they’re actually going to try & fry these kids. Or at the very least the DA will be aiming for life without parole.

Yeah, it seems recently gangs of vigilantes murdering people in the streets has become a bit gauche

If I was magic king of justice I’d give the two bros 15 years & their friend 10. Which gives them a shot at parole for this type of crime at roughly 8 years & 5 years, respectively. The fact that the state is trying to lock teenagers up for life or execute them is absurd in general, especially in this particular case. 

https://myrgv.com/local-news/2022/01/25/pharr-police-reveal-details-of-unrelated-sex-abuse-case-tied-to-stepfathers-beating-death/

More details. Holy shit at Pharr PD. They’d been “looking” for suspect since 2019 for the unrelated child sexual assault warrant, had never found him until his body was discovered. No evidence he ever really moved away from the town of Pharr in past 3 years, which is pretty decently small. I’ve been there many times, a couple days of driving around I feel like you could find anyone you want to that lives there.

Brothers find out about molestation, they go to stepdad/mom’s place. Confrontation happens, mom/wife of dead guy tells him to leave. He does, but 17 year old Christian Trevino (middle mugshot in OP) grabs brass knuckles and decides to pursue him alone on foot a few minutes later. His older brother calls friend over to go look for brother & suspect, friend shows up in car, they & a juvenile friend go looking for the 2 of them. They find Christian down the road beating up stepdad, bro joins in, snowball of fuckery ensues. 

Part of capital murder upgrade is because Christian removed a watch (which he had earlier given the stepdad as a gift) from his body, which counts as robbery.

TLDR; Christian Trevino was very upset at his stepfather. My guess is despite being younger he was the alpha of the family/friend group. Others seemed to be following his lead. 

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

Is it possible to severely overcharge in the hopes that the jury will never go for it?  Don't know, just asking here.

In theory, yes.  But I think it's risky for the state to do it and possibly some kind of ethical violation.  The usual practice is to charge the highest thing the law and the evidence will support, tempered by a desire to win (so don't charge things you can't win) and maybe a bit by notions of substantial justice.

I don't see how this killing would statutorily qualify for capital murder.  Generally, when you indict someone, you have to allege some bare facts in support of each element of the offense, even if those facts remain to actually be proven.  To "make up" or allege facts that you can't prove and have no basis for has got to be at least an ethical violation and might jeopardize the ability to prosecute for anything.  A criminal pro will have to weigh in on that.

This is the relevant portion of the capital murder statute, I don't see how this can be made to fit, maybe (2):

Sec. 19.03. CAPITAL MURDER. (a) A person commits an offense if the person commits murder as defined under Section 19.02(b)(1) and:

(1) the person murders a peace officer or fireman who is acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty and who the person knows is a peace officer or fireman;

(2) the person intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat under Section 22.07(a)(1), (3), (4), (5), or (6);

(3) the person commits the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration or employs another to commit the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration;

(4) the person commits the murder while escaping or attempting to escape from a penal institution;

(5) the person, while incarcerated in a penal institution, murders another:

(7) the person murders more than one person:

(8) the person murders an individual under 10 years of age;

(9) the person murders an individual 10 years of age or older but younger than 15 years of age; or

(10) the person murders another person in retaliation for or on account of the service or status of the other person as a judge or justice of the supreme court, the court of criminal appeals, a court of appeals, a district court, a criminal district court, a constitutional county court, a statutory county court, a justice court, or a municipal court.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

In theory, yes.  But I think it's risky for the state to do it and possibly some kind of ethical violation.  The usual practice is to charge the highest thing the law and the evidence will support, tempered by a desire to win (so don't charge things you can't win) and maybe a bit by notions of substantial justice.

I don't see how this killing would statutorily qualify for capital murder.  Generally, when you indict someone, you have to allege some bare facts in support of each element of the offense, even if those facts remain to actually be proven.  To "make up" or allege facts that you can't prove and have no basis for has got to be at least an ethical violation and might jeopardize the ability to prosecute for anything.  A criminal pro will have to weigh in on that.

This is the relevant portion of the capital murder statute, I don't see how this can be made to fit, maybe (2):

Sec. 19.03. CAPITAL MURDER. (a) A person commits an offense if the person commits murder as defined under Section 19.02(b)(1) and:

(1) the person murders a peace officer or fireman who is acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty and who the person knows is a peace officer or fireman;

(2) the person intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat under Section 22.07(a)(1), (3), (4), (5), or (6);

(3) the person commits the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration or employs another to commit the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration;

(4) the person commits the murder while escaping or attempting to escape from a penal institution;

(5) the person, while incarcerated in a penal institution, murders another:

(7) the person murders more than one person:

(8) the person murders an individual under 10 years of age;

(9) the person murders an individual 10 years of age or older but younger than 15 years of age; or

(10) the person murders another person in retaliation for or on account of the service or status of the other person as a judge or justice of the supreme court, the court of criminal appeals, a court of appeals, a district court, a criminal district court, a constitutional county court, a statutory county court, a justice court, or a municipal court.

They’re getting them for kidnapping for throwing unconscious stepdad in truck before throwing him in field to die, and robbery for the 17 year old stepson taking the watch he had earlier given stepdad as a gift off of the body. So those felonies cause the upgrade.

*It’s actually the 17 year old brother and the friend charged with capital murder, the 18 year old brother is only charged with aggravated assault because he didn’t participate in the fatal beating. A male juvenile witness in truck hasn’t been charged from what I can tell. According to affidavit as the group was about to leave the scene the 17 year old grabbed a tire iron from truck and wanted to continue the beatdown but the older bro stopped him. Sounded like just a mess of a situation all the way around, to say the least.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Also, I'm not following the relationship here:

Think Clevon and Clevon Jr. from the beginning of Idiocracy, but Latino. I can’t help but think ol’ Darwin killed four birds with one stone. 

Edited by Porterhouse

On 1/30/2022 at 2:25 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  He already had a warrant for another molestation case.  They could have used his phone and whatever computer he had in the has, done a bunch of searches in Google on those devices about things like fleeing a warrant, countries without extradition treaties, how to change your identity, etc., and basically made it look like the stepdad was planning to flee.  They take some clothes and a few other items, leave his wallet and phone at home, and take his ass somewhere and dump him somewhere where he wouldn't be found, or feed him to some gators or whatever.  

It's not that hard to make people disappear, and shit, with the fake Google searches, etc., and the already-existing warrant, the cops would be looking for a live person who fled, not some dude who is buried in the boonies or whatever.

I see you've put a lot of thought into this.

23 hours ago, Helobious said:

They’re getting them for kidnapping for throwing unconscious stepdad in truck before throwing him in field to die, and robbery for the 17 year old stepson taking the watch he had earlier given stepdad as a gift off of the body. So those felonies cause the upgrade.

*It’s actually the 17 year old brother and the friend charged with capital murder, the 18 year old brother is only charged with aggravated assault because he didn’t participate in the fatal beating. A male juvenile witness in truck hasn’t been charged from what I can tell. According to affidavit as the group was about to leave the scene the 17 year old grabbed a tire iron from truck and wanted to continue the beatdown but the older bro stopped him. Sounded like just a mess of a situation all the way around, to say the least.

Ah, thanks.  I missed that in the story or maybe it wasn't there.

There was a Texas dad who caught a dude molesting his very young daughter a couple of years ago and punched the dude to death.  No prosecution. I guess what I'm saying is rough justice can be done through prosecutorial discretion.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/charges-texas-father-beat-death-daughters-molester/story?id=16612071

On 1/30/2022 at 2:25 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  He already had a warrant for another molestation case.  They could have used his phone and whatever computer he had in the has, done a bunch of searches in Google on those devices about things like fleeing a warrant, countries without extradition treaties, how to change your identity, etc., and basically made it look like the stepdad was planning to flee.  They take some clothes and a few other items, leave his wallet and phone at home, and take his ass somewhere and dump him somewhere where he wouldn't be found, or feed him to some gators or whatever.  

It's not that hard to make people disappear, and shit, with the fake Google searches, etc., and the already-existing warrant, the cops would be looking for a live person who fled, not some dude who is buried in the boonies or whatever.

One of these days we are going to read about how a man known on the Internet as "atomheartbravo" thought he could commit the perfect murder.

Or we won't, because he did. 

On 2/1/2022 at 9:48 PM, CleverNickname said:

There was a Texas dad who caught a dude molesting his very young daughter a couple of years ago and punched the dude to death.  No prosecution. I guess what I'm saying is rough justice can be done through prosecutorial discretion.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/charges-texas-father-beat-death-daughters-molester/story?id=16612071

Catching someone in the act and immediately killing them is in a whole different ballpark.

Assuming it's true I'm good with this outcome and the release of the brothers without charge. We need harsher penalties for the worst in our society. A time to kill is justified here. 

Yes. Unilateral individual decisions when to use the personal right of imposing the death penalty is a good call. Due process is overrated, and trials requiring proof subject to challenge is soooooo boring.

13 people are fucking idiots.

Quintanilla, however, managed to evade authorities, and Pharr police, despite searching for him since the arrest warrant was issued over the unrelated case in 2019, wasn’t found until his body was discovered in McAllen on Thursday.

Harvey said police tried going to Quintanilla’s last known residence, as well as his mother’s residence, several times, and word that he may have been in the Corpus Christi area and elsewhere proved “inconclusive. And so he has been eluding us since then.

Wow. That’s some real fine detective work right there. Good to know the Pharr PD is on the job and keeping us all safe.

Bernard