TX teen bros beat stepdad to death for molesting their little sister

Helobious

*Allegedly molesting. But it's worth noting the stepdad had a warrant for continuous sexual assault of a child for an unrelated 2019 incident.

Big story in my neck of the woods last week, but it's grown to be worldwide now. A 9 year old girl tells her older brothers that their stepdad has been molesting her, so they get a friend and some brass knuckles and go to stepdad's apartment. They fight, stepdad runs away, the trio catches up to him and beats him to death, leaving his body in a field. All 3 are charged with capital murder and are each being held on bonds north of $1 million. Online petition calling for their release has over 200,000 signatures, and Gov. Abbott has expressed support for their release as well. Crazy story.

Spoiler

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Deej said:

I think they walk if they caught him in the act and killed him then and there. They'll serve some time for this.

Dude had it coming, though.

Yeah, the way it played out was pretty lynch-mobby, with them first whoopin his ass, then coming back another time to beat him some more and toss him in a field. Kinda like they went and got a truck because they didn't want to get the first car bloody.

And the article says the man had been on the run from cops since 2019 for a different molestation charge. Yet these guys knew exactly where he was. Hmm.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

Seems they could have executed better

Yep.  He already had a warrant for another molestation case.  They could have used his phone and whatever computer he had in the has, done a bunch of searches in Google on those devices about things like fleeing a warrant, countries without extradition treaties, how to change your identity, etc., and basically made it look like the stepdad was planning to flee.  They take some clothes and a few other items, leave his wallet and phone at home, and take his ass somewhere and dump him somewhere where he wouldn't be found, or feed him to some gators or whatever.  

It's not that hard to make people disappear, and shit, with the fake Google searches, etc., and the already-existing warrant, the cops would be looking for a live person who fled, not some dude who is buried in the boonies or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  He already had a warrant for another molestation case.  They could have used his phone and whatever computer he had in the has, done a bunch of searches in Google on those devices about things like fleeing a warrant, countries without extradition treaties, how to change your identity, etc., and basically made it look like the stepdad was planning to flee.  They take some clothes and a few other items, leave his wallet and phone at home, and take his ass somewhere and dump him somewhere where he wouldn't be found, or feed him to some gators or whatever.  

It's not that hard to make people disappear, and shit, with the fake Google searches, etc., and the already-existing warrant, the cops would be looking for a live person who fled, not some dude who is buried in the boonies or whatever.

Good point.

-on a completely separate/random topic, remind me never to cross you…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

*Allegedly molesting. But it's worth noting the stepdad had a warrant for continuous sexual assault of a child for an unrelated 2019 incident.

Big story in my neck of the woods last week, but it's grown to be worldwide now. A 9 year old girl tells her older brothers that their stepdad has been molesting her, so they get a friend and some brass knuckles and go to stepdad's apartment. They fight, stepdad runs away, the trio catches up to him and beats him to death, leaving his body in a field. All 3 are charged with capital murder and are each being held on bonds north of $1 million. Online petition calling for their release has over 200,000 signatures, and Gov. Abbott has expressed support for their release as well. Crazy story.

Hide contents

spacer.png

Anthony Carrigan Bravo GIF by Emmys

Yeah, the "if true, this is warranted" part is the troubling one.  Not saying that the 9 yr old's brothers shouldn't believe her or protect her.  And maybe there was some sort of obvious proof that made it clearly true.

But killing someone based solely on the accusation of a 9 yr old should trouble most of us.

Even if the dead guy was almost certainly a POS (see earlier charge), killing someone based on the word of a 9 yr old remains a problem.

What a lovely world.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I might do the same in similar circumstances, but still… you can’t just look the other way at vigilantism in a civilized society.

Also, we have a lot of citizens in this country who like to spout their love of the US Constitution, but you can’t go around demanding your 2nd Amendment (or other) Constitutional rights if you’re ready to deny other citizens their Constitutional rights on the the privately uttered words of nine year old.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

34f7.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

They would just need to be sure to leave all their devices at home and drive a vintage car. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

i mean on the one hand there have been numerous stories and anecdotes from posters ON THIS BOARD describing the retribution they'd exact on a sexual perpetrator if they found them assaulting their young child. On the other, vigilante justice should be discouraged. If the dude is/was wanted for prior accusations (proven?) of child molestation then...probation and time served for the accused here.

justice is unfortunately relative. chester the molester got what he deserved (so it seems...). and if you can try to overthrow the government and get probation b/c you lost TSA precheck, i'm not gonna be THAT mad at three family members protecting an innocent child. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, the "if true, this is warranted" part is the troubling one.  Not saying that the 9 yr old's brothers shouldn't believe her or protect her.  And maybe there was some sort of obvious proof that made it clearly true.

But killing someone based solely on the accusation of a 9 yr old should trouble most of us.

Even if the dead guy was almost certainly a POS (see earlier charge), killing someone based on the word of a 9 yr old remains a problem.

What a lovely world.

Just remember that there is a mom in this story somewhere. She is either a person that allowed a sexual offender to be around her daughter. And if someone is capable of that, they're also capable of instructing the 9 YO to say this story for who know what reason.

• Rage+1 1

I mean, I can’t imagine anyone in Montgomery County voting to convict the guy, and that’s a county full of white people. I can’t imagine a jury of his peers convicting him. 
Give them some sort of bullshit plea that ends with them serving no prison time but having a sword over their head if they don’t keep their nose clean for a while. 
this is not a case the state is going to win, nor one I’d be inclined to see them try to win. 

This is basically the perfect case for jury nullification.

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It’s a strange world.  If those three were cops this board would probably be calling for their execution

Cops shouldn’t be as emotionally involved in the crimes they are investigating. They are paid to do the job and remain more or less detached from it while acting professionally. This is a couple 18 year old brothers of the victim. The only innocent in this story is the 9 year old. 
I trust the jury to get this one right- whatever right is in this situation. 
Capital murder sounds absurd. The state really going to try for the death penalty here?  Get the hell out of here with that nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

What a lovely world.

Even if 9 year olds were 100% credible, taking the law into your own hands is never the right thing to do.

Maybe, possibly, after the justice system has somehow failed, is it justifiable to pull a Dexter/Law Abiding Citizen.

I don't see how they can charge capital murder.

In Texas, sudden passion arising from adequate cause is just an offense level/sentencing defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sucks all around.  I can’t imagine the rage I’d have if my daughter said those words to me.  
Passion can’t be a substitute for the law however.

Stupid, passion is only worse.

I mean- that’s why we have a jury system. So that we can have laws and how shit should go down and have a jury of 12 say, nah, it was ok here in this instance. 
I don’t know that they will as it took place over multiple hours and 3 different altercation sites, but glad I don’t  have to sit in that box and make that decision. 
I do know I wouldn’t even entertain capital charge. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, achooloco said:

i mean on the one hand there have been numerous stories and anecdotes from posters ON THIS BOARD describing the retribution they'd exact on a sexual perpetrator if they found them assaulting their young child. On the other, vigilante justice should be discouraged. If the dude is/was wanted for prior accusations (proven?) of child molestation then...probation and time served for the accused here.

Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  Please don't get Lobo started.  

Lobo ?

Unknown.jpeg

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think you meant to type @Lobo

• Haha 3

Case sounds awful.  
big difference between extrajudicial execution and people convicted of hunting humans for sport being convicted within our existing criminal justice system.  

I don’t even wanna read any more about this particular case.  Just degrees of awfulness all the way around. 

Guy in Shiner killed a worker he caught raping his 5 year old daughter a few years ago, all chargers were dropped.  Only difference here is they didn’t catch him in the act and went after being told about it evidently, so less crime of passion defense options.  Perps definitely won’t be missed in either case. 

Edited by Hook1997
Looked up story and it got worse
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Guy in Shiner killed a worker he caught raping his like 12 year old daughter a few years ago, all chargers were dropped.  Only difference here is they didn’t catch him in the act and went after being told about it evidently, so less crime of passion defense options.  Perps definitely won’t be missed in either case. 

I remember that; I've got a bunch of people that way.  If I recall correctly, someone saw it, relayed it to the father (they were having a gathering or something I think) and he went and beat the guy, who ended up dying.  Another factor that probably helped was being it wasn't 3 on 1.   But yeah, fucked up deal all around on that one too. 

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not going to read the story. Sometimes everyone is wrong. Maybe the dad deserved it but doesn't change that the brothers deserve to go to prison.

EDIT: It also doesn't mean that the 9 YO told the truth. We have laws and procedures in place to determine guilt. I understand someone wanting to kill someone that did this to their young sister but that feeling can't make this right.

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

What a lovely world.

Unfortunately our system isn't set up to find justice in a situation that is basically he said/she said. There are a lot of child molesters walking free because there is no proof other than what the child said. While I can't condone vigilante justice, maybe the threat of it will make some people think twice.

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

If you catch him in the act, it's justifiable. Like this case:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/charges-texas-father-beat-death-daughters-molester/story?id=16612071

But I don't think this is the same thing. It was based on an accusation from a 9 year old. For the same reasons we say that police shouldn't be judge, jury and executioner of someone committing a crime, we can't accept this kind of vigilante justice. 

I don't think they'll be charged with capitol murder though. They'll get 20, do 10 and be out before they're 30. Probably get some cool prison tattoos too.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Even if 9 year olds were 100% credible, taking the law into your own hands is never the right thing to do.

Maybe, possibly, after the justice system has somehow failed, is it justifiable to pull a Dexter/Law Abiding Citizen.

I don't see how they can charge capital murder.

In Texas, sudden passion arising from adequate cause is just an offense level/sentencing defense.

Is it possible to severely overcharge in the hopes that the jury will never go for it?  Don't know, just asking here.

11 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Is it possible to severely overcharge in the hopes that the jury will never go for it?  Don't know, just asking here.

The $1 million bails kind of makes me think they’re actually going to try & fry these kids. Or at the very least the DA will be aiming for life without parole.

*well no duh on my part, the minimum punishment for capital murder is life without parole.

Edited by Helobious