2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

shadow_operative2.0

34 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Shiffrin wanted to quit the sport after her dad passed, but was convinced to make a return. I wonder if this olympic experience is causing her to doubt her career moving forward. 

I think that you are mixing up Mikaela with her mother, Eileen

[POSTED LAST NIGHT, BUT REPOSTED FOR CLARITY.]…

Eileen, sitting a foot away, interjects: “Let’s just say, theoretically—I’m not pushing toward this at all—but let’s say in a couple years, my eyesight gets worse, and my memory gets worse, and my joints get worse, but you’re still kicking butt. You could talk to the other girls about stuff.”

“I know,” Mikaela says. “There’s a way that it could work, but I don’t see any reason for us to explore that. Because what’s the point? We know what does work, and there’s no reason not to keep going.”

https://www.vailmag.com/news-and-profiles/2021/12/mikaela-eileen-shiffrin-beijing-winter-olympics

After the downhill portion the interviewer asked her a feel-good question about if she had her confidence back.  Her answer started out positive but then she said she also keeps seeing herself miss the same gate again.  It's a shame this happened at the Olympics.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I don’t have the first clue if this Belgian chick is any good, but she has an outstanding booty. 

We will give her the Gold. 

Name.  Pics.  Phone number.  Anything?  

On 2/15/2022 at 9:42 PM, dcar00 said:

ha. so obvious that they are setting up for the other rooskie to win so the anthem can be played. this is why figure skating is so stupid. I wouldn't at all be shocked if the 2nd place rooskie does well enough to take first after the long program that the cheater is ordered to take a fall

You fucking nailed it, well done.

Figure skating started going downhill once they took away the thing that it was named after - skating figures.  Obviously way too unglamorous to televise but they used to have the skaters out there and judged them on how well they would skate over various figures - like a figure 8, circle, series of "s" curves and other stuff.  No music, no "evoking emotions", no weepy bios with the soft piano music and life stories.  It was get out there and show us how you can keep your balance in challenging situations. It was boring and humdrum, but it was very technical and the fairest assessment of a skater's ability to control their movements.  That went away like I think by 1980, because growing TV audiences and revenues demanded more "emotional" programs, so out with figures, and in with the short program.  And now 90% of it is how many loops and twist you can do in midair.  Granted that's a tough athletic feat, but it's only a small portion of skating skills.  Now it's all (to me) bullshit about "who evokes the emotion in the music" or some shit.  Whateverz, momz and daughterz love it, so it's now probably (still) the #1 watched winter O. event.  

But yes, Virginia, there was a time where this wasn't just a beauty contest with mud-faced judges handing out medals.  It actually took some all-around skill and they had a good baseline to go by.  But boring never wins.

Now it's just usually Days of Our Lives on ice.  And now we have Rope-a-Dope to boot.   I actually feel really sorry for the Russian chick, she's naturally very good and probably would have won hands down without the drugs.  But skating is like gymnastics - populated by shitholes who care less for human lives than they do for mink coats.  Whatever.  

Maybe later I'll run a skating routine on fast forward while playing Yakety Sax.  That's a gold-medal winner for me.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

No shit. One of the strangest Olympic moments I can remember. Still not sure who all to be pissed at.

I can’t be angry at the 15 year old. We don’t know how often she sees her parents or how involved they were. She’s part of a larger machine. I hurt for her. Who knows what that combo of shit they gave her for endurance: not having tired legs will affect her physically in the future. Not the least of which, she didn’t even medal though she was the clear favorite. It’s sad. My respect for Weir has grown by leaps and bounds this Olympics though. Everything he said was spot on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I can’t be angry at the 15 year old. We don’t know how often she sees her parents or how involved they were. She’s part of a larger machine. I hurt for her. Who knows what that combo of shit they gave her for endurance: not having tired legs will affect her physically in the future. Not the least of which, she didn’t even medal though she was the clear favorite. It’s sad. My respect for Weir has grown by leaps and bounds this Olympics though. Everything he said was spot on. 

Good post.  She's 15, which is not a baby, but still, at here age and in that system, I doubt she has much individual agency.  She is more of a victim than a villain.  Doesn't excuse her from the consequences that should have been laid down.  But yeah, you have to pity her a bit.

And Weir is a gotdamn American treasure.  Seriously, he's smart, funny, principled, and uncompromising.  I celebrate his entire flamboyant catalog.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

But then again, it is phd. Stupid fucking essays are your thing. 

I love the irony of this.  Mr. "25 paragraphs 10 times per day to desperately explain why Rick Barnes is good" or some other such that you're busted on, so you are the master.  Maybe I learned from YOU!  You often write more than Leo Tolstoy on coke.  Here, I salute you, since you're obviously too dense to see where you just called yourself out.

unbMAm.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Yeah, she’s way down on the list of who to be pissed at. Did she even want to be put through that after what transpired? Silver medalist looked really pissed but not sure why.
Agree on Weir. Mucho respect.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:42 PM, dcar00 said:

ha. so obvious that they are setting up for the other rooskie to win so the anthem can be played. this is why figure skating is so stupid. I wouldn't at all be shocked if the 2nd place rooskie does well enough to take first after the long program that the cheater is ordered to take a fall.

to be honest they should have kept the "figures" portion, a bunch of skaters who can jump(with or without PED's)wouldn't even make the podium because they couldn't do the figures.

OK, I didn't watch this but I'm taking the victory lap, even though they didn't play the anthem.  too damn funny.  they even worked it so she got 4th, just off the "podium" but the highest finish she could have without having to talk about her winning a medal.

this like women's gymnastics is all fixed. why because the biggest star of any olympics for a particular country is the women's all around gymnastics champ and women's figure skating.  there is all kinds of pressure and money involved.  the money only works because they are scoring events.

the "scoring" events in general suck.

I would love to have an olympics without russia and china.  we have our cheaters too(seems much more in summer games, track/field) but usually they actually get punished pretty severely and it's not govt driven like with russia.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Figure skating started going downhill once they took away the thing that it was named after - skating figures.  Obviously way too unglamorous to televise but they used to have the skaters out there and judged them on how well they would skate over various figures - like a figure 8, circle, series of "s" curves and other stuff.  No music, no "evoking emotions", no weepy bios with the soft piano music and life stories.  It was get out there and show us how you can keep your balance in challenging situations. It was boring and humdrum, but it was very technical and the fairest assessment of a skater's ability to control their movements.  That went away like I think by 1980, because growing TV audiences and revenues demanded more "emotional" programs, so out with figures, and in with the short program.  And now 90% of it is how many loops and twist you can do in midair.  Granted that's a tough athletic feat, but it's only a small portion of skating skills.  Now it's all (to me) bullshit about "who evokes the emotion in the music" or some shit.  Whateverz, momz and daughterz love it, so it's now probably (still) the #1 watched winter O. event.  

But yes, Virginia, there was a time where this wasn't just a beauty contest with mud-faced judges handing out medals.  It actually took some all-around skill and they had a good baseline to go by.  But boring never wins.

Now it's just usually Days of Our Lives on ice.  And now we have Rope-a-Dope to boot.   I actually feel really sorry for the Russian chick, she's naturally very good and probably would have won hands down without the drugs.  But skating is like gymnastics - populated by shitholes who care less for human lives than they do for mink coats.  Whatever.  

Maybe later I'll run a skating routine on fast forward while playing Yakety Sax.  That's a gold-medal winner for me.

They were called "compulsory figures". IMHO they got rid of them because the US skaters were too good at it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

phd just absolutely owning himself is so fucking on-brand.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I’m not Derka, you dumb mother fucker. 

LOL since I really don't remember anything useful about you or your posts, I took a shot.  In reality, I don't give a shit who you are. You're just an asshole who derails threads with personal attacks. That's okay though, you care way more about this than I do.  Whatever makes you happy, dipshit.

Keep on getting bent over when I post. It's a pleasure to piss you off. Go get a room with Johnny Weir.  Grrrrr!!!!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Haha 1