2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Now that the voting for position players for the ASG is done with only Altuve representing, what other Astros will be chosen in a reserve role? Yordan and JV are locks. Tucker and Framber are possibilities. 

BTW. I like the new “special selection” addition to the ASG roster.(Pujols, Cabrera)  It’s a good way to let the fans celebrate brilliant careers and say goodbye to a couple of legends. 

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Now that the voting for position players for the ASG is done with only Altuve representing, what other Astros will be chosen in a reserve role? Yordan and JV are locks. Tucker and Framber are possibilities. 

BTW. I like the new “special selection” addition to the ASG roster.(Pujols, Cabrera)  It’s a good way to let the fans celebrate brilliant careers and say goodbye to a couple of legends. 

Framber I’d have to think has to be on the team. Tucker should be, but who knows for sure with everyone needing an all star.  
Montero could definitely be an all star this year but it’s really hard for non closers to make it.  Stanek maybe too. His number are better than Monteros but Montero has been more dominating imo. 

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I think the revamped ASG structure is actually something that MLB got right (or at least got better).  And, though I'd love to see more of the big names participate in the HRD, I get why some of them decline the invite.  Not sure of the stats, but anecdotally it does seem like there have been guys enter slumps immediately after participating.  That being said, imagine a derby with Stanton, Judge, Trout, Yordan, Alonso and Goldschmidt.  

And, I think Yordan, JV and Tucker are locks.  Not sure we get anyone in past that.  

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Wouldn’t be shocked if Pena gets in, as he’s been easily a top-3 SS in the AL. But, with each team needing a rep, and him being a rookie, who knows.

I think I’d be pretty shocked if Peña got in. Seems early. I also don’t get the sense he’s really a thing outside of houston. Feels pretty under the radar right now. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think I’d be pretty shocked if Peña got in. Seems early. I also don’t get the sense he’s really a thing outside of houston. Feels pretty under the radar right now. 

Maybe so. I admittedly don’t even know how the reserves are selected anymore. I foolishly imagine that a small panel gets together, pores over objective data and makes rational decisions. Because that’s how I wish our world worked. I am very often disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Maybe so. I admittedly don’t even know how the reserves are selected anymore. I foolishly imagine that a small panel gets together, pores over objective data and makes rational decisions. Because that’s how I wish our world worked. I am very often disappointed. 

Pretty sure players vote. 

58 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Pretty sure players vote. 

the coaches used to have some say but i know the players are involved now. 

as for yordan not starting, fucking bring it. it’s getting people to talk about him and check out his stats, which are the best in the league. 

also there will presumably be 2 dh right?  so shohei plays 4-5 innings then yordan comes in. hitting a late inning 3-run bomb in chavez ravine is how asg mvp gets won. 

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

the coaches used to have some say but i know the players are involved now. 

as for yordan not starting, fucking bring it. it’s getting people to talk about him and check out his stats, which are the best in the league. 

also there will presumably be 2 dh right?  so shohei plays 4-5 innings then yordan comes in. hitting a late inning 3-run bomb in chavez ravine is how asg mvp gets won. 

Miggy will get an AB at DH as will Pujols for the NL

Also i don't have an issue with them being invited to the game and being there....i just don't think they should play. They can do everything else to be celebrated and hang out in the dugout whatever. That's enough. I don't need to see Pujols hobble around running out a ground ball to SS.

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Also i don't have an issue with them being invited to the game and being there....i just don't think they should play. They can do everything else to be celebrated and hang out in the dugout whatever. That's enough. I don't need to see Pujols hobble around running out a ground ball to SS.

I’d like to see Pujols taken out behind the mound and shot, personally. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

What better way for Miggy to get his big moment than to be sent in to pinch-hit in the middle of Ohtani's first AB? Alvarez can take it on home from there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, APMP said:
1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

good. Lee needed to play a game back home

Lee started the 4th of July game I attended.

That wasn't in California.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

A's just traded their listed 1B for todays game to the Rays

Cal Stevenson wad one of the prospects that Oakland got back from Tampa. He was originally drafted by Toronto. He was traded to Houston in the Derek Fisher deal. We dealt him for Austin Pruitt (gross). 

11 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Jake Meyers is batting .313 with 10 RBI's in 13 games and McCormick is starting at CF today?  Meyers is 26 yrs old.  He doesn't need a fucking day off.

He is coming back from injury so not surprising.