Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

16 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Stanford was already dying in football and the portal killed it. Maybe they can go indy and use their mid tier athletic brand to get enough solid games to get a decent Apple offer

You may have hit the nail on the head… with Stanford’s Silicon Valley ties, they are the ideal match for Apple

27 minutes ago, bullet said:

Boom!

You had this nailed, my friend, while I misread it.  Props to you. 🤘

I'll take the L here.  I owe you a burger and a beer the next time I'm in the ATL.  I'll pay for McMurphy too.😂

I never thought BIG would add PNW schools until after they saw which schools they could get from the ACC.  But I wasn't factoring in that BIG schools owe Fox about about $5m each due to Warren giving NBC the CCG ($40m) and from games that weren't played during 2020 (another $30m+).  

The additional inventory Fox gained from adding the PNW schools at 1/2 price probably enabled them to cut a deal where the existing BIG schools stayed whole.

I also wasn't factoring in that the tv partners might be underwhelmed with what game they would get in some weeks when they had 3rd pick.

Adding UW and UO gives the BIG more games with solid, tier 2 brands.  Makes the conference stronger overall.  

It also gives the BIG two more teams to host Primetime games in November (sticking point for existing BIG schools).

//

For some reason, I'm actually not bummed about this.  I loved the idea of the Zeros getting relegated, but this is going to give USC an opponent in the BIG that fans truly hate.  That wasn't the case before, as UCLA is little brother, but respected as an institution, and not hated.  Most USC folks have friends/family that went to UCLA.

Not worried about recruiting or beating the PNW schools on a regular basis.  If LFR can't beat them regularly on the field and on the trail, SC has much bigger problems, because if we're not beating the PNW schools, we're not beating OSU, UM or SEC schools.

//

No surprise the PAC died- everyone itt saw through Klownkoff for the last year.  He's as incompetent and arrogant as Grifter Larry.

2024 is going to be insane- USC, UCLA, UW, UO to the BIG.  UT and OU to SEC.  4C to B12, which will clearly be the #3 conference whenever the ACC implodes.

Klownkoff, Clownzano, Wilner, and the PAC to the dustbin of history.  

And oh btw, a 12 team playoff.  Bring it on!  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, USC_TMB said:

You may have hit the nail on the head… with Stanford’s Silicon Valley ties, they are the ideal match for Apple

I wouldn’t consider Stanford football as “dying” because of four bad years. But I could definitely see independence working for them if they can deal directly with Apple. Makes sense given their prestige and location.

IMG_1898.jpeg

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I wouldn’t consider Stanford football as “dying” because of four bad years. But I could definitely see independence working for them if they can deal directly with Apple. Makes sense given their prestige and location.

IMG_1898.jpeg

The portal made its debut in 2018. Dont think that is a coincidence. 

• Hook 'Em 3

IMG_1898.jpeg

David Shaw isn't there anymore....he had regressed every year as you pointed out. 

35 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Anyone think the brilliance that was college sports, specifically football, is dying in front of our eyes? Christ.

USC/UCLA and Rutgers in the same league all because of the almighty dollar. Some EST kick offs will be midnight, or 9AM if they travel to literally cross country.

I have no idea who’s where and what now anymore. I even had to look who was even in the big12 this year.

Well at least we don't have Legends and Leaders and Whoever is in whatever division in the ACC! 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

90% of the P3.5 (is that where we’re at now?) will never be in the same sentence as the term college football playoffs. 1 lucky team might slip through the cracks and get pulverized by the usual loaded teams with 4 first round picks on their team.

Gone are the days to hop in your car and drive 6 hrs to your teams away game. Now it’s gonna take multiple airports, hotel rooms, car rentals to and from, leaving Thursday instead of Friday night. I guess most of the SEC can pull it off. The big 10 is just a nationwide clusterfuck

With 12 teams, lots of the P5 will get in.  It will be much better than the 4 team playoff with Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio St., Oklahoma and sometimes someone else.

As for the title, there are 19-20 teams who are a threat for that.  Outside those schools only BYU and Pitt have won going all the way back to 1960.  So that's nothing new.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I agree it would be a great match but who would they play? Sure, they can still play ND but who else?

If BYU can find 12 opponents as Indy, Stanford definitely can. ND plus ORST, WSU, a California MW school, and others. Scheduling isn’t the concern but how much they can make as Indy. Probably more than BYU but way less than the Big XII payment,

Edited by 'stache

22 minutes ago, LTbear said:

So where is that USC poster who spent the last several weeks writing book-length posts about how "the Zeros" aka "Eugene Community College" would "never" get into the B1G?

All the people outside the Big 12 who were convinced no Pac school would deign to join the Big 12.  But CU did and Arizona really pushed UW and Oregon into acting.

And everybody but Brett McMurphy and me (since I believed him) thought as the USC guy did.

19 minutes ago, Big Frog II said:

If you were the Big 12 and have BYU and U of A, would you rather offer Stanford and Cal or Utah and ASU?

Utah and ASU.  The state of California just creates headaches.  And you get 2 better fb programs anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know it's a bit unseemly for some of you, but all of this is good for college football. We have been fed dogshit matchups for decades and told to shut up and like it. As much as all of this is a money grab, there is no bigger money grab than the bullshit schedules we have been fed and told to shut up and like it.

Yeah, I'm fired up about CFB in 2024 with more quality conference games...  🤘

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If BYU can find 12 opponents as Indy, Stanford definitely can. ND plus ORST, WSU, a California MW school, and others. Scheduling isn’t the concern but how much they can make as Indy. Probably more than BYU but way less than heheh Big XII payment,

Stanford has seriously deep pockets and wealthy alumni. Plus they manage their finances like a boss, unlike say Cal or other schools deep in debt.

And again, their school is very locked in with the tech industry in the area.

17 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

You had this nailed, my friend, while I misread it.  Props to you. 🤘

I'll take the L here.  I owe you a burger and a beer the next time I'm in the ATL.  I'll pay for McMurphy too.😂

I never thought BIG would add PNW schools until after they saw which schools they could get from the ACC.  But I wasn't factoring in that BIG schools owe Fox about about $5m each due to Warren giving NBC the CCG ($40m) and from games that weren't played during 2020 (another $30m+).  

The additional inventory Fox gained from adding the PNW schools at 1/2 price probably enabled them to cut a deal where the existing BIG schools stayed whole.

I also wasn't factoring in that the tv partners might be underwhelmed with what game they would get in some weeks when they had 3rd pick.

Adding UW and UO gives the BIG more games with solid, tier 2 brands.  Makes the conference stronger overall.  

It also gives the BIG two more teams to host Primetime games in November (sticking point for existing BIG schools).

//

For some reason, I'm actually not bummed about this.  I loved the idea of the Zeros getting relegated, but this is going to give USC an opponent in the BIG that fans truly hate.  That wasn't the case before, as UCLA is little brother, but respected as an institution, and not hated.  Most USC folks have friends/family that went to UCLA.

Not worried about recruiting or beating the PNW schools on a regular basis.  If LFR can't beat them regularly on the field and on the trail, SC has much bigger problems, because if we're not beating the PNW schools, we're not beating OSU, UM or SEC schools.

//

No surprise the PAC died- everyone itt saw through Klownkoff for the last year.  He's as incompetent and arrogant as Grifter Larry.

2024 is going to be insane- USC, UCLA, UW, UO to the BIG.  UT and OU to SEC.  4C to B12, which will clearly be the #3 conference whenever the ACC implodes.

Klownkoff, Clownzano, Wilner, and the PAC to the dustbin of history.  

And oh btw, a 12 team playoff.  Bring it on!  

I think the biggest factor was the CFP.  With UW and Oregon, you now have 7 of the schools who are threats in any given year to win it all.  The SEC has 8.  FSU, Miami, Clemson and Notre Dame are up next.

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

Utah and ASU.  The state of California just creates headaches.  And you get 2 better fb programs anyway.

Sure, sure but the Big12 already has Texas, Florida, and Arizona so it isn't like they don't already have states who's governments create headaches. Plus, sports are supposed to bring us together.

19 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

Apple wouldn't sell many Stanford streaming packages in Silicon Valley: nerdy white guys and Indian developers don't watch much football. 

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

Stanford has seriously deep pockets and wealthy alumni. Plus they manage their finances like a boss, unlike say Cal or other schools deep in debt.

And again, their school is very locked in with the tech industry in the area.

The only thing that gives me pause is that as soon as COVID hit, they were ready to completely kill several programs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know it's a bit unseemly for some of you, but all of this is good for college football. We have been fed dogshit matchups for decades and told to shut up and like it. As much as all of this is a money grab, there is no bigger money grab than the bullshit schedules we have been fed and told to shut up and like it.

Oh, Alabama will still manage to play The Citadel the week before the Auburn game. That's the #SEC "Chicken-shit Saturday" tradition... But it also means that Texas can schedule Abilene Christian. So that's nice. 

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

Sure, sure but the Big12 already has Texas, Florida, and Arizona so it isn't like they don't already have states who's governments create headaches. Plus, sports are supposed to bring us together.

The other states don't ban travel to other US states.  That is the huge headache.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Apple wouldn't sell many Stanford streaming packages in Silicon Valley: nerdy white guys and Indian developers don't watch much football. 

What if Apple tells their fan boys they have to watch though?

1 minute ago, gatormarc said:

The only thing that gives me pause is that as soon as COVID hit, they were ready to completely kill several programs.

Technically, they were just following the Big10's lead, so that is a risk even in one of the big kid conferences

Not to mention there’s that pesky lawsuit that was filed against USC (of course) regarding athletes being considered university employees. That will be the death of traditional (for lack of a better word) college sports and move it straight to farm team status

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

How does UCLA plan to get around the California State-Funded travel ban?   Four Big Ten States are on that list.  

Wait...2 Pac-12 states are on that list as well: AZ and UT.   How is Cal or UCLA able to play games in either of those states?

Probably get around it by paying for travel thru the sports fund, which is most likely a private entity and not state funded.

plus Newsome doesn’t obey the ban, so why should they?

Edited by USC_TMB
  • Haha 1

The crying from PAC 12 fans now coming out of the woodwork is glorious...  terrible home fan attendance for games at ucla, stanford, and cal showed what a shitty CFB market existed in that conference.

The PAC 12 fans are getting what they deserve... that conference has sucked for years in fan support for CFB.  

Stanford November game...

Screen_Shot_2016_11_26_at_8.32.41_PM.0.p

Sept Cal home game

berkeley-california-usa-15th-sep-2018-ca

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Mountain pod and East pod to go along with the Big 8 and SWC pods.

I think pods would be useful for scheduling purposes. Play your pod every season, and two from each other pods that rotate. CCG is two highest ranked, like other conferences are going to it seems.

The only question mark would be who would be the fourth team in the east pod. I think it should be UH since they have history with Cincy and UCF, and OSU has history with TCU, BU, and Tech, and ISU has history with CU, KU, and KSU. It should be

West: BYU, UU, AU, ASU

East: WVU, Cincy, UCF, UH

South: TCU, Tech, BU, OSU

North: CU, KU, KSU, ISU

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The crying from PAC 12 fans now coming out of the woodwork is glorious...  terrible home fan attendance for games at ucla, stanford, and cal showed what a shitty CFB market existed in that conference.

The PAC 12 fans are getting what they deserve... that conference has sucked for years in fan support for CFB.  

Stanford November game...

Screen_Shot_2016_11_26_at_8.32.41_PM.0.p

Sept Cal home game

berkeley-california-usa-15th-sep-2018-ca

Tiger Woods is a billionaire Stanford alum that's been at Stanford football games over the years.  

Even he's gonna let Stanford football continue to die.....

I think pods would be useful for scheduling purposes. Play your pod every season, and two from each other pods that rotate. CCG is two highest ranked, like other conferences are going to it seems.

The only question mark would be who would be the fourth team in the east pod. I think it should be UH since they have history with Cincy and UCF, and OSU has history with TCU, BU, and Tech, and ISU has history with CU, KU, and KSU. It should be

West: BYU, UU, AU, ASU

East: WVU, Cincy, UCF, UH

South: TCU, Tech, BU, OSU

North: CU, KU, KSU, ISU

I dig it