Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

you stupid sip, tu paid players to perform poorly to kill the southwest conference to keep aggy down

We did pay, I got proof.  I used to work at the 7-11 on MLK and one day Leon Fuller came in and bought 10 cartons of Marlboro Lights.  I asked him what it was for and he said "linebacker recruiting.  Mind your business kid."  So we paid in cartons of cigarettes while aggy and pony were paying in Trans Ams.  Smoking used to be so cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

It is definitely chump change and ESPN knew it at the time.  It was a small price to pay to persuade Texas to stay in the B12 while ESPN figured out its next moves. 

i remain open to any logical argument which equates Evil with Texas taking ESPN's money

i suppose we were supposed to share our Tier 3 money equally with everyone else in the conference, after they had already declared their desire to not participate in a conference network formed to monetize their Tier 3 inventory

i mean, seriously, the logic used to justify Big Evil Texas requires the above rationalization

oSu and iSu and rapelor and the rest of the conference didn't want to share the monetization of THEIR tier 3 inventory, but Texas is Big and EVIL because we didn't volunteer to share ours

fuck this shit

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i remain open to any logical argument which equates Evil with Texas taking ESPN's money

i suppose we were supposed to share our Tier 3 money equally with everyone else in the conference, after they had already declared their desire to not participate in a conference network formed to monetize their Tier 3 inventory

i mean, seriously, the logic used to justify Big Evil Texas requires the above rationalization

oSu and iSu and rapelor and the rest of the conference didn't want to share the monetization of THEIR tier 3 inventory, but Texas is Big and EVIL because we didn't volunteer to share ours

fuck this shit

AS a selfish fan, I wanted us in the PAC, but Deloss would've been a fool to turn that network down.

Ergo fuck yourself.
(LOL sorry couldn’t resist.)
Seriously though, you’re telling me that if the four bluebloods of the conference played nice, that the conference STILL would have blown up?
Highly highly doubtful.
And I said that the bulk of the blame clearly lies with Nebraska/Aggy, but as part of the original 4-headed blueblood monster of the league, Texas (and Oklahoma) obviously share *some* blame.  Don’t tell me that Texas was the innocent babe in the woods as the conference slowly imploded over a decade. Texas was/is the biggest, most powerful school in the conference; with that goes a position of leadership within the conference….
And if you’re telling me that Texas did *nothing* as the conference crumbled around it, then that is just as bad as specific actions that cause it to crumble.

The University of Texas is a flawless institution you maggot eating prairie leech.

Nebraska and Aggy are far more to blame for the original Big 12’s demise than Texas and Oklahoma. It’s my opinion that Texas and Oklahoma could have done more to talk them off the ledge and keep the league together, but I don’t think they cared much either. Nebraska and Aggy share the bulk of the blame, but no conflict is completely one sided.

Now I’m sure Admiral Ackbar will read this as “HURRDURT BIG EVIL TEXAS” because he wants everything to be that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Now I’m sure Admiral Ackbar will read this as “HURRDURT BIG EVIL TEXAS” because he wants everything to be that.

The University of Texas is a flawless institution you maggot eating prairie leech.
Nebraska and Aggy are far more to blame for the original Big 12’s demise than Texas and Oklahoma. It’s my opinion that Texas and Oklahoma could have done more to talk them off the ledge and keep the league together, but I don’t think they cared much either. Nebraska and Aggy share the bulk of the blame, but no conflict is completely one sided.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Refresh my memory, what was corn aggy pissed about and what could Texas have done to make them stay?  I think they've always identified with the midwest and felt better about being with their brethren.  Plus they're making so much more money.  Did they hate us?  Yes.

Aggy made the right move.  They had no competitive recruiting advantage over us until they left. 

i'm gobsmacked at the trawling depth of osujeff, slorch, al4 et.al. the past few days

I don’t think a single non UT fan has said that Texas even has a majority share of the blame, but if any of us say that Texas was a contributor to the dysfunction at any level, you lose your shit. Why don’t we go to Aggy boards? Have you met an Aggy? There are posters here from schools that Texas has never played. The Shag/Surly transcends UT sports and has for awhile.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Refresh my memory, what was corn aggy pissed about and what could Texas have done to make them stay?  I think they've always identified with the midwest and felt better about being with their brethren.  Plus they're making so much more money.  Did they hate us?  Yes.

Aggy made the right move.  They had no competitive recruiting advantage over us until they left. 

Maybe the commissioner should have done this, but I’d have to think that if you had gotten UT, Nebraska, Aggy, and OU in a room in like 2008, and had a competent, respected mediator they could have found a way to address each school’s needs and get them working together the way Ohio State and Michigan do. If the Big 12 held together, there would not be a significant financial difference today between it and the BIGSEC, IMO.

Maybe Nebraska was that irreparably butthurt, but Nebraska’s real brethren are the Big 12 North schools - not the Rust Belt. Every Nebraska fan I know misses having the entire division within 8 hours.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

okay, NOW we're getting somewhere.  no blanket assertion of evil.  /sarc followed by a fair opinion.  you must have gotten some rain.

we are not flawless by any means.   we have plenty of scandal and dirt in our past, (old freak nasty?  the track coach?) but none of it adversely affected our conference mates.

texas absolutely could have gone public with aggy bullshit during their standing offer phase, but texas has *NEVER* taken the low road with aggy in our entire history.

there was nothing texas could do about corn; to this day, 100% of corn believes that :01 was put back on the clock, not that the ball is shown impacting the guardrail the moment before the clock changes to :01....   1-9, legitimate and true, was beyond their tolerance capacity, and they made the decision to leave and announced it in about 72 hours, so even if we wanted to, there wouldn't have been enough time to mount a proper, professional campaign.

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Maybe the commissioner should have done this, but I’d have to think that if you had gotten UT, Nebraska, Aggy, and OU in a room in like 2008, and had a competent, respected mediator they could have found a way to address each school’s needs and get them working together the way Ohio State and Michigan do. If the Big 12 held together, there would not be a significant financial difference today between it and the BIGSEC, IMO.

Maybe Nebraska was that irreparably butthurt, but Nebraska’s real brethren are the Big 12 North schools - not the Rust Belt. Every Nebraska fan I know misses having the entire division within 8 hours.

This was a shotgun wedding.  OSU/Michigan know they need each other and up until recent history, they've been pretty competitive.  Aggy was always our little third cousin.  OU is a true rival of course and we're aligned with them.  

I think the Big 12 would've always been third behind SEC/B1G.  There was nothing we could do to save Aggy or Corn Aggy.  Lot of hate there.  I’d ask seriously what are they pissed about?  We offered to do a co-network with aggy.  I believe Nebraska was against rev sharing and we were for it?  While we’re the ones that “drove the others away” we also kept the conference together and gave the smaller schools our buyout shares no?

Edited by closetohumping

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Maybe the commissioner should have done this, but I’d have to think that if you had gotten UT, Nebraska, Aggy, and OU in a room in like 2008, and had a competent, respected mediator they could have found a way to address each school’s needs and get them working together the way Ohio State and Michigan do. 

This is a reasonable expectation, but you have to keep in mind that Texas A&M’s institutional inferiority complex as it relates to the University of Texas often precludes rational action. This only became more pronounced in the Big 12 era. I know this sounds like hyperbole coming from a Texas grad, or like I’m talking about their fans/alums and not their administration…but I’m really not. They aren’t rational when it comes to UT. They are perpetually trying to get out of the UT shadow (not in athletics per se, just in general). They were going to sprint to any opportunity that ever came up to one-up UT - I can assure you of that.

Again - this is a school that literally declined Texas’s offer to develop a network in partnership with them, then, when Texas did it themselves, identified the network as the “final straw” that forced their hand to leave.

“Reasoning” with A&M, when you’re UT, really is easier said than done. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

AS a selfish fan, I wanted us in the PAC, but Deloss would've been a fool to turn that network down.

We had no idea how much the network would be worth at the time we killed the Pac 16.  As late as 4 months later (October 2010), reports were still that Fox would likely get it for $3 million a year.

The Pac 16 just didn't make more money that the Big 12 would under their new contracts.  So why do it?  More travel.  Having to deal with 16.  And you could get pretty similar schedules simply by doing it ooc.  As we have.  We've scheduled Stanford, USC, UCLA, Cal.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don’t think a single non UT fan has said that Texas even has a majority share of the blame, but if any of us say that Texas was a contributor to the dysfunction at any level, you lose your shit. Why don’t we go to Aggy boards? Have you met an Aggy? There are posters here from schools that Texas has never played. The Shag/Surly transcends UT sports and has for awhile.

Most fans from around the country say its ALL UT's fault because they listened to Tom Osborne bitter about 1-9 and aggy rants.  And somehow NU and aggy are shining knights.  There's a lot of bias against the state of Texas, not just UT, around the country and this is just one more avenue for them to vent.

The only really valid complaint came from T. Boone Pickens.  He said UT was like an elephant in a china shop.  It didn't intend to do any harm, but it was an ELEPHANT in a china shop!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

They were all in a room in 2010.  Texas president Powers said to NU president Pearlman that he would commit UT to staying if 11 of the 12 would stay (think everyone figured CU was gone).  Nebraska wouldn't do it.  Reality is that they had a better long term offer from the Big 10.  Better money.  Better rivalries than in the Big 12 North.  Pearlman rushed out and called the Big 10 and said he needed a decision quick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Again - this is a school that literally declined Texas’s offer to develop a network in partnership with them, then, when Texas did it themselves, identified the network as the “final straw” that forced their hand to leave.

They decided to leave 2 years before the LHN was announced.  Bowtie opened formal negotiations with slive 6 months before the LHN was announced.   So not only is your statement true, it's triply egregious and full of fuckery.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This is a reasonable expectation, but you have to keep in mind that Texas A&M’s institutional inferiority complex as it relates to the University of Texas often precludes rational action. This only became more pronounced in the Big 12 era. I know this sounds like hyperbole coming from a Texas grad, or like I’m talking about their fans/alums and not their administration…but I’m really not. They aren’t rational when it comes to UT. They are perpetually trying to get out of the UT shadow (not in athletics per se, just in general). They were going to sprint to any opportunity that ever came up to one-up UT - I can assure you of that.

I think they publically called us out on having high school football on the lhn.   One hour later we’re like “all good no high school football if you don’t want us to have it”.  We’ve compromised along the way but the remaining schools don’t seem to acknowledge that 

35 minutes ago, bullet said:

Most fans from around the country say its ALL UT's fault because they listened to Tom Osborne bitter about 1-9 and aggy rants.  And somehow NU and aggy are shining knights.  There's a lot of bias against the state of Texas, not just UT, around the country and this is just one more avenue for them to vent.

The only really valid complaint came from T. Boone Pickens.  He said UT was like an elephant in a china shop.  It didn't intend to do any harm, but it was an ELEPHANT in a china shop!

Texas didn't swim in shit in shout down the shitshow, therefore Texas is Big and Evil.

That's the extent of the logic deployed to equate Texas with the vocal defecation of aggy and corn.

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I think they publically called us out on having high school football on the lhn.   One hour later we’re like “all good no high school football if you don’t want us to have it”.  We’ve compromised along the way but the remaining schools don’t seem to acknowledge that 

this was the biggest fold in history to placate aggy.

the UIL is a *FUCKING DIVISION* of the university.

we own the content.   al, jeff, slorch, what say thee?  should we have volunteered to PAY AGGY AND CORN to air content we already owned to keep them in the conference they had already departed?

38 minutes ago, bullet said:

They were all in a room in 2010.  Texas president Powers said to NU president Pearlman that he would commit UT to staying if 11 of the 12 would stay (think everyone figured CU was gone).  Nebraska wouldn't do it.  Reality is that they had a better long term offer from the Big 10.  Better money.  Better rivalries than in the Big 12 North.  Pearlman rushed out and called the Big 10 and said he needed a decision quick.

OOOHHH NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  that's not possible!   that's LEADERSHIP!!   that's TRYING TO KEEP THE CONFERENCE TOGETHER!!!!!!  according to al, jeff and slorch, TEXAS DIDN'T DO THAT!!!

16 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this was the biggest fold in history to placate aggy.

the UIL is a *FUCKING DIVISION* of the university.

we own the content.   al, jeff, slorch, what say thee?  should we have volunteered to PAY AGGY AND CORN to air content we already owned to keep them in the conference they had already departed?

You own Texas high school football on the same level aggy owns ‘howdy’ and 42.  GTFO of here with that bullshit.

yeah, you can claim the name, but it has not a fucking thing to do with UT in spirit or otherwise.

I understand (and generally agree) every point you’re making about Aggy, but the fact that y’all are reunited tells me that better leadership (from many points) could have prevented that ultimately temporary divorce.

The SEC had better leadership and an “all for one” attitude that at the end of the day is an institutional choice that the Big 12 power brokers never had, but could have if they all wanted it.

But I think I’ve spent enough time on “if”.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I understand (and generally agree) every point you’re making about Aggy, but the fact that y’all are reunited tells me that better leadership (from many points) could have prevented that ultimately temporary divorce.

The SEC had better leadership and an “all for one” attitude that at the end of the day is an institutional choice that the Big 12 power brokers never had, but could have if they all wanted it.

So that further proves our point.  They tried to keep us out of the sec by leakin the story.  They want nothing to do with us.  We’re in the sec because of money not because of aggy.  If we wanted anything to do with them we would’ve kept them on our schedule

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I guess you missed how aggy responded when they found out Texas was invited to the SEC? Lol

• Hook 'Em 6

Boone’s point is a simpler, better way of what I’m trying to get at.

Enough with ancient history, let's just look back 1 year:

Not sure if Rittenberg's tweet is clumsily worded or precisely worded, but assuming the latter, that school has to be either Houston, BYU, SMU, or SDSU.  Probably Houston or BYU, since they would be less worried about upsetting the Pac by talking now.

• Like 1

Nebraska’s only rivalry in the Big 10 West is Iowa. Pales in comparison to OU. And they had 3 closer Big 12 North road games and a rivalry with CU that exceeded the Iowa game.

The financial gap was huge then, but the Big 12 hadn’t renegotiated either.

I think if the Big 12 had a better leader, they could have done something to make OU an annual game, and the new TV contract would have been very close to the Big 10.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nebraska’s only rivalry in the Big 10 West is Iowa. Pales in comparison to OU. And they had 3 closer Big 12 North road games and a rivalry with CU that exceeded the Iowa game.

I think if the Big 12 had a better leader, they could have done something to make OU an annual game, and the new TV contract would have been very close to the Big 10.

CU was leaving and they didn't play OU every year (that could have been remedied).  KSU, KU, ISU and Mizzou did nothing for them.  Wisconsin and Minnesota are better rivals than those 4.

56 minutes ago, slorch said:

You own Texas high school football on the same level aggy owns ‘howdy’ and 42.  GTFO of here with that bullshit.

yeah, you can claim the name, but it has not a fucking thing to do with UT in spirit or otherwise.

where oh where has my little slorch gone?

oh where oh where can he be?

fuck it

i thought i would give slorch the opportunity to apologize

oh dear slorchy.....

https://www.uiltexas.org/about

The University Interscholastic League was created by The University of Texas at Austin to provide leadership and guidance to public school debate and athletic teachers. Since 1910 the UIL has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world. The UIL continues to operate as part of the University of Texas under the auspices of the Vice President for Diversity & Community Engagement.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Enough with ancient history, let's just look back 1 year:

Not sure if Rittenberg's tweet is clumsily worded or precisely worded, but assuming the latter, that school has to be either Houston, BYU, SMU, or SDSU.  Probably Houston or BYU, since they would be less worried about upsetting the Pac by talking now.

I buy the U of H speculation. I believe Tilman has expressed U of H's interest in the PAC publicly before. 

what does that mean?  it means that The University owns the marks to the content of every UIL athletic competition.  Airing said content in the form of high school football games, including highlights shows, coaches shows, band contests, drill team contests, all of it.  The University has the right to air all of that content on the LHN and chose not to because aggy wailed.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what does that mean?  it means that The University owns the marks to the content of every UIL athletic competition.  Airing said content in the form of high school football games, including highlights shows, coaches shows, band contests, drill team contests, all of it.  The University has the right to air all of that content on the LHN and chose not to because aggy wailed.

Should have done it anyway. The production quality would be shit, and we'd probably have to suffer through even more Lowell Galindo, but at least we'd get to watch the top game every week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

but haven't you heard?  we're BIG  **AND**  EVIL.  we do shit to not drive aggy away after they've already left because the rest of the country and especially our conference mates ignore inconvenient truth and realities that shatter their worldview and create cognitive dissonance untenable within their belief system.

The primary problem in 2010 was that the Big 12's media partners were lowballing the conference.  They wanted a destabilized Big 12 so that they could move NU to the Big Ten and A&M to the SEC.  It's not a coincidence that FOX didn't find the money for the Big 12's Tier 2 deal until after the Huskers were gone.  FOX needed to get what it wanted for the Big Ten, first.    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/big-12-fox-sports-reach-tv-agreement

The Big 12's leverage wasn't very good because there weren't a lot of potential buyers for selling their Tier 2 rights package.  

The next year, Disney did basically the same thing for the SEC.  There's no doubt they were the hidden hand pulling the strings on aggy's move to the SEC.  It wasn't a hard sales pitch for them but it doesn't happen if Disney doesn't want it.

If you're going back in time to hypothetically save the Big 12, you have to have a scenario where the Big 12 starts a linear network and has one of those companies backing it.  If so, then they would have helped the Big 12 expand to maximize the value of that network.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

SEC has an all for one attitude because the majority of the teams have similar monetary value. That's how business works. It's why LSU would never leave the SEC for the SWC. There weren't enough teams in the SWC with Blueblood value. Here's a fairly accurate list of program value. Notice how many SEC and B1G teams are in the top 32?

12 of 14 teams in the SEC ranked in the top 32

14 of 16 if including Texas

7 of 14 teams in the B1G ranked in the top 32, including 3 of the top 5 juggernaut programs that are way bigger than everyone else.

9 of 16 if including USC/UCLA

5 of 14 teams in the ACC ranked in the top 32, not including Notre Dame

The bottom of the conference is very weak

5 of 14 teams in the PAC 12 ranked in the top 32

3 of 14 if excluding USC/UCLA but one can make an argument that ASU could be a little overrated on the list...but not much. One could also say Colorado could turn it around at some point and would be on the list. The bottom few teams and the geography remain an issue here

2 of 10 teams in the Big 12-4+2 ranked in the top 32

0 of 12 in the new Big 12-4+2-2+4. The new Big 12-4+2-2+4 is a very competitive league with a bunch of teams with similar value that can offer stability and the ability to expand from any direction with its current geography.

5 of 10 teams in the old Big 12 ranked in the top 32

There's no way the Big 12 was ever going to be the SEC or the B1G. Nebraska and Missouri barely register on this list. There were/are both declining programs with nowhere to recruit in the modern game. Nebraska's decline and value diminished in the Big 12 and the B1G. Does NIL change their fortune? It's too early to tell. 

ACC - PAC - Big 12 were all getting raided

1. Ohio State

2. Texas

3. Notre Dame 

4. Michigan

5. Penn State 

1. Florida

2. Georgia

3. USC

4. Alabama

5. LSU

6. Tennessee

7. Wisconsin

8. Oklahoma

9. Florida State

10. TAMU

11. Auburn

12. Washington

13. Oregon

14. Michigan State

15. North Carolina

16. Miami

17. Clemson

18. UCLA

1. South Carolina

2. Virginia Tech

3. Missouri

4. Nebraska

5. Iowa

6. Arkansas

7. Kentucky

8. Arizona State 

9. Ole Miss

• Like 1

CU was leaving and they didn't play OU every year (that could have been remedied).  KSU, KU, ISU and Mizzou did nothing for them.  Wisconsin and Minnesota are better rivals than those 4.

Minnesota? No. Minnesota has been inferior on the field to KSU for decades, ISU since Campbell, and has absolutely no fanbase.

Wisconsin is a good game on paper, and they have a good fanbase, but that hasn’t become a rivalry by any stretch.

CU probably stays if Nebraska is committed too.
  • Like 1