Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Ugh, we get it, we didn't sufficiently kiss the ring, which is why we're left behind. I'm sure the sec will give you all the love and all the calls. 

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/coaches-poll/2008-2009/2008-11-30/

Even we aren't hot enough to pull you and the others into the dance.  You're just not very desirable to the big 2, regardless of your money, on-field success or kinship with ou.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

And if they grab Miami and fsu they have as much say in Florida as the sec does

I don't think the SEC or their network will let that happen...Not without a big fight anyway...It's a good thing Texas doesn't have any schools left for realignment that would be appealing to the BIG...I'm sure they would love to plant a flag in Texas too.

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

are you *SURE* you want to keep going on this?  surly lawyer signal

Sure. If a frivolous suit is filed and the defendant moves to dismiss, a deposition notice or subpoena is almost always going to be subject to a protective order pending a ruling on the motion to dismiss, especially if dismissal is likely. Once dismissed, the deposition notice or subpoena is automatically quashed. If you want to argue the strength of your hypothetical claim, I'm not sure I'm game for that, but the way you described it just sounded silly and frivolous.

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, Zinhead said:

The only way to get rid of the BIG dead weight is to blow up the conference and start over. That will never happen. What many people forget is that the schools see themselves as universities first, and football programs second. 

It doesn't have a great track record.  The PAC lasted 100 years but the Big12 did not.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

You can't get to discovery if you don't have a case. This case would get kicked out right off the bat, it's completely non-sensical. Nothing in the law prevents this consolidation of power. One might argue it's precisely how our economic system is designed. As for politics, it's all grandstanding. The Texas Legislature held hearings so that some of the lawmakers could tell their angry Baylor or Tech grads "see, we held hearings, we have your back." Then, nothing. It's precisely what's happening in California. "See Cal, the Governor has your back!" Maybe they'll hold show hearings and ask UCLA officials questions. Then nothing. It's all for show. The Oklahoma legislature hasn't even said a word because nobody really cares. I used to constantly point out how stupid the "OU and OSU are tied together because laws," it is and always was the stupidest thing ever said in realignment.

I can't tell you about bringing a case but I can see that everything that is happening is undeniably anti-competitive behavior. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Satchel said:

So, aggy really was the big baller shot caller in all of this?

Do you truly not understand?

aggy has power in this state, as much as we hate that, it’s a fact. Texas has more but neither have enough to fuck over the other without help. Texas and aggy have enough legislative supporters in the senate/house to get what they want (within reason) when working together.  There is literally a day called the Orange & Maroon Legislative Day at the Capitol for this reason.  Still aggy+tech/UH/TCU/Baylor have enough votes to block Texas from leaving as seen multiple times in the past (see above).

When aggy left Texas did NOT stop them.  We could have raised hell and teamed up with Baylor/Tech/others to block them, but we chose to take the high road and let them go.

This set the precedent where a major university could leave the minor universities without any repercussions. Why do you think Baylor was fighting so hard to keep aggy?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/6941542/baylor-bears-biggest-obstacles-texas-aggies-join-sec

Because they knew this was the beginning of the end for them in major college football.

As a result of their previous move to the SEC, aggy will not block us, but just in case we even took it a step further and waited until after the 2021 legislative session was complete before telling them (because they are fucking children) so that they couldn’t do anything even if they wanted to until 2023 when tempers had cooled and Texas leaving was accepted by the masses.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

They certainly preferred Texas.  But they were ready to take aggy in 1990.  if you want a reference, there is President Cunningham's book, "The Texas Way," chapter 16.  Specifically pages 230-231, "Dodds and I briefed the UT System regents at a board meeting in August 1990 in Odessa, and they gave me an informal nod to proceed with the Pac 10.  At that point the board had not discussed the matter in public or taken any votes, but I felt I had their tacit approval to conclude a deal.  Mobley was satisfied with our moving west while A&M went east, and both conferences had accepted an arrangement for UT and A&M to continue playing each other on Thanksgiving Day....

The Pac 10 required that its members vote unanimously to accept a new member.  I had been assured that this was not a problem and that all the presidents were excited about having UT Austin join the conference.  However, at the last minute, Donald Kennedy, president of Stanford, decided he did not want UT to join, and as a result the Pac 10 commissioner, Thomas C. Hansen, called Dodds and withdrew the offer.  Hansen was embarrassed that Kennedy had pulled the rug out from under him....

I called each of the regents and explained what had happened.  Then I called Mobley, who promptly shut down his discussions with the SEC."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Not only did they want Texas and Arkansas, there was interest and potential movement on the Texas side.  Enough so that Frank Broyles believed Texas was coming along with the pigs.

Don't know about Dodds, but President Cunningham was never interested.  He did talk to the UGA president about it.  He was interested in the Big 10 and Pac 10.  Big 10 said, call back in 5 years.

9 minutes ago, bullet said:

Don't know about Dodds, but President Cunningham was never interested.  He did talk to the UGA president about it.  He was interested in the Big 10 and Pac 10.  Big 10 said, call back in 5 years.

Boosters brokering backroom bargains.

We all know who Broyles' source was for his belief and optimism, and it doesn't get much more highly placed than that.  Obviously, ultimately it didn't happen, but there was certainly smoke.

Edited by utee94

26 minutes ago, bullet said:

They certainly preferred Texas.  But they were ready to take aggy in 1990.  if you want a reference, there is President Cunningham's book, "The Texas Way," chapter 16.  Specifically pages 230-231, "Dodds and I briefed the UT System regents at a board meeting in August 1990 in Odessa, and they gave me an informal nod to proceed with the Pac 10.  At that point the board had not discussed the matter in public or taken any votes, but I felt I had their tacit approval to conclude a deal.  Mobley was satisfied with our moving west while A&M went east, and both conferences had accepted an arrangement for UT and A&M to continue playing each other on Thanksgiving Day....

The Pac 10 required that its members vote unanimously to accept a new member.  I had been assured that this was not a problem and that all the presidents were excited about having UT Austin join the conference.  However, at the last minute, Donald Kennedy, president of Stanford, decided he did not want UT to join, and as a result the Pac 10 commissioner, Thomas C. Hansen, called Dodds and withdrew the offer.  Hansen was embarrassed that Kennedy had pulled the rug out from under him....

I called each of the regents and explained what had happened.  Then I called Mobley, who promptly shut down his discussions with the SEC."

Who was this Kennedy idiot and what a dumb rule

53 minutes ago, bullet said:

that reconfigures my understanding of what happened - thank you for the actual citation

• Hook 'Em 1

Even we aren't hot enough to pull you and the others into the dance.  You're just not very desirable to the big 2, regardless of your money, on-field success or kinship with ou.

Of all the Big 12 schools that I wish had been able to go too, OSU is at the top of the list.  They *feel* like an SEC school.  The problem is that they're Mississippi Stat (with a better history and all-around AD), when they needed to be Auburn.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Of all the Big 12 schools that I wish had been able to go too, OSU is at the top of the list.  They *feel* like an SEC school.  The problem is that they're Mississippi Stat (with a better history and all-around AD), when they needed to be Auburn.  

Let’s be real Auburn as a stand-alone may not be a take. It’s not about being impressive on the field.  

10 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

I realize Alabama was still deciding ( until recently) if it would integrate Greek organizations on campus, that Ole Miss is still trying to figure out a way to keep its James Meredith statue from being defaced, and that OU showed it potential to be a good Sec member with the SAE’s forgettable rendition of “There’ll never be a *igger SAE”, but I’m unaware of OSU’s Sec’s “feel”. Now, Gundy, otoh, is another story.

So the B12's likely P12 targets are projected to finish this year 1st...and 10th, 11th, and 12th in a 12-team conference.

And Utah, while a top notch school that did football the right way by earning their way on the field, would double up a relatively small market/state of 3 million, since BYU is already coming in. 

Even doubling up in 7 million pop AZ is of questionable $ value.  ASU is a mess with a huge scandal that the NCAA may try to make an example of (paying for the sins of UNC, SEC, etc.) U.AZ is 110 miles from Phoenix (Austin to San Antonio is 80 miles), where most of their alumni live, but not clear that they can carry the Phoenix market the way Texas or aTm carry Houston, DFW, San Antonio, etc.  Perhaps it is just because they've been down awhile in football.  Perhaps not.  But at least AZ is in blue blood territory for bouncyball and both AZ and ASU are historically great baseball programs.  4 and 5 CWS titles each.

The only things going for Colorado is 5+ million in state, though net growth recently has slowed way down and is nothing close to Arizona's.  Both states have a high percentage of transplants with no connection to the local schools.

Not sure if it is ultimately good or bad for the B12 that Cal will probably end up still available once the B1G finishes their hunt.  Lousy fan/local interest, but an almost 10 million CSA (5th largest in the country, larger than DFW for probably another 2+ decades, should pass Chicago's CSA in the next few years) so TV might push for them.

Let’s be real Auburn as a stand-alone may not be a take. It’s not about being impressive on the field.  

Auburn draws eyeballs on TV in the one sport that matters and they've played for two national titles in the last 15 years.  They're a take under whatever paradigm you want to look at. They've been pretty good in the other revenue sport lately, too.  

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

So the B12's likely P12 targets are projected to finish this year 1st...and 10th, 11th, and 12th in a 12-team conference.

And Utah, while a top notch school that did football the right way by earning their way on the field, would double up a relatively small market/state of 3 million, since BYU is already coming in. 

Even doubling up in 7 million pop AZ is of questionable $ value.  ASU is a mess with a huge scandal that the NCAA may try to make an example of (paying for the sins of UNC, SEC, etc.) U.AZ is 110 miles from Phoenix (Austin to San Antonio is 80 miles), where most of their alumni live, but not clear that they can carry the Phoenix market the way Texas or aTm carry Houston, DFW, San Antonio, etc.  Perhaps it is just because they've been down awhile in football.  Perhaps not.  But at least AZ is in blue blood territory for bouncyball and both AZ and ASU are historically great baseball programs.  4 and 5 CWS titles each.

The only things going for Colorado is 5+ million in state, though net growth recently has slowed way down and is nothing close to Arizona's.  Both states have a high percentage of transplants with no connection to the local schools.

Not sure if it is ultimately good or bad for the B12 that Cal will probably end up still available once the B1G finishes their hunt.  Lousy fan/local interest, but an almost 10 million CSA (5th largest in the country, larger than DFW for probably another 2+ decades, should pass Chicago's CSA in the next few years) so TV might push for them.

The Dallas MSA is poised to take over Chicago’s at the end of the decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Luckily recent winning percentage isn't the most important factor in realignment decisions, as longhorn fans would know :)

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

^^ The 3 "insiders" (1 legit for sure on his end) on the TCU 247 site Who heard the rumors of TCU being considered by the B1G have all been very limited and measured on the story.  They've always tempered expectations, saying what they heard was basically TCU was mentioned in a scenario for luring ND to the B1G but not in several other such ND strategies, and not in any non-ND options.  Have said it was a longshot and it's been quiet for awhile now.  I don't think they made the story up.

Meanwhile, from Canzano today:

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-pac-12-in-a-dance-with-espn

...I reached out to Bob Thompson, the former president of Fox Sports Networks, for an answer.

Said Thompson: “He’s probably got a number from ESPN at this point. Is it their best, last, final? Probably not. But given there’s about a week to go they’ve got to be honing in on it.”

Thompson said the Pac-12 should also have an idea about the interest of other television and streaming bidders who aren’t involved in the exclusive window.

“Nothing precludes the others from reaching out or back-channeling their interest to the conference or most likely to the conference’s television consultant...”

“...I think the conference will be wise and want to see who is on the outside looking in when the Big Ten option ends..."

“...Certainly San Diego State and the San Diego market would be attractive,” Thompson said. “I kind of go back and forth after that between Las Vegas, Fresno and Boise. They’re almost interchangeable. None of them blow you away from a market standpoint. There’s not a real clear second partner for the Pac-12. Beyond that, you could go to SMU or try to poach the University of Houston before they get into the Big 12.”

“There’s no doubt in my mind that San Diego State is the No. 1 target — without a doubt — should they decide to go forward with expansion....”

Edited by clapclapclap

18 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Luckily recent winning percentage isn't the most important factor in realignment decisions, as longhorn fans would know :)

People seem to forget that winning in college football (with a few notable exceptions) is largely cyclical. Arkansas played Texas in one of the greatest college games of all time. Since 1969, they’ve been pretty much a nothing burger.

38 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Sure. From 1935-1838, Texas went 9-28-2. From 1954-1956, Texas went 10-19-1. Texas can have lows. Texas cal also have highs, which is why the Longhorns have a winning record in every regular foe’s home stadium. 

15 minutes ago, statsman said:

Sure. From 1935-1838, Texas went 9-28-2. From 1954-1956, Texas went 10-19-1. Texas can have lows. Texas cal also have highs, which is why the Longhorns have a winning record in every regular foe’s home stadium. 

I honestly didn't expect two of you to take the bait. Agreed on your sentiment that Arky used to be a regional power, so to speak. As a fan of just college football (where regionality and regional rivals is what makes the world go round), I'm actually looking forward to seeing Texas vs Piggy happen again in the future. I also think Arky vs OU could become fun.

47 minutes ago, statsman said:

I’d argue that Arkansas was a regional power until they joined the SEC. 

In both '88 and '89, the Pigs finished with one regular season loss and the loss each year was by 4 points or less.  The '88 game that they lost was by 2, on the road against the Miami Hurricanes.  Otherwise they play for a national title that year.

It's crazy how the SEC move (and how badly it went at first) has completely erased the memory of how they used to be viewed nationally.  From 1960-1989, they were legitimately a Top 15 program and they played in a bunch of major bowl games.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

I honestly didn't expect two of you to take the bait. Agreed on your sentiment that Arky used to be a regional power, so to speak. As a fan of just college football (where regionality and regional rivals is what makes the world go round), I'm actually looking forward to seeing Texas vs Piggy happen again in the future. I also think Arky vs OU could become fun.

Im ready for them to join the SEC now...The SEC west match ups between Arkansas, LSU, A&M, Texas, and OU are all going to be beyond exciting to watch..And, then we get to watch Texas play BAMA, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee ever so often as icing on the cake....The beer sales in my area are going to go way up...

You know what conference had seamless geography, a plethora of wildly entertaining hate filled regional rivalries, and would have made a fuck ton of cash if it had stayed together?

The original Big 12.  The original Big 12 was a hell of a lot better than that Pac 16 would have been.  But y'all (and I'm referring to everyone - Aggy, Nebraks, CU, Mizzou, OU - here - not just UT) just couldn't stand to play schools that were near you and you hated, so you had to fuck it all up.

Dipshits.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You know what conference had seamless geography, a plethora of wildly entertaining hate filled regional rivalries, and would have made a fuck ton of cash if it had stayed together?

The original Big 12.  The original Big 12 was a hell of a lot better than that Pac 16 would have been.  But y'all (and I'm referring to everyone - Aggy, Nebraks, CU, Mizzou, OU - here - not just UT) just couldn't stand to play schools that were near you and you hated, so you had to fuck it all up.

Dipshits.

You mean like atm, blowU, Lsu and arkie?

Edited by Lou_Sassle

If Nebraska and TAMU and Colorado and Missouri had all stayed, then I still don't think the B12's annual TV contracts would be able to keep pace with the B1G and the SEC.  

And yes, of course money matters.  Even with a large athletic budget like Texas has of around $200M, the difference between making $50M annually in the B12 or $100M in the B1G or SEC, is just too vast to tolerate that disparity for long, and still be able to sustain a competitive athletics program.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

If Nebraska and TAMU and Colorado and Missouri had all stayed, then I still don't think the B12's annual TV contracts would be able to keep pace with the B1G and the SEC.  

And yes, of course money matters.  Even with a large athletic budget like Texas has of around $200M, the difference between making $50M annually in the B12 or $100M in the B1G or SEC, is just too vast to tolerate that disparity for long, and still be able to sustain a competitive athletics program.

So, you think that B1G would be distributing 100 m without Nebby, USC, UCLA, Maryland, and Rutgers being assimilated? That is an interesting take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Dipshits.

Cu and Neb seemed to always feel more tied to their current conferences.  Same with Aggy, though they just wanted to give us the finger and have their own identity as well.  Don't blame them.  Mizzou is dipshit.  But in the end, it's money.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Azbadlands said:

Im ready for them to join the SEC now...The SEC west match ups between Arkansas, LSU, A&M, Texas, and OU are all going to be beyond exciting to watch..And, then we get to watch Texas play BAMA, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee ever so often as icing on the cake....The beer sales in my area are going to go way up...

Agreed. I think of all the realignment mess, longhorn fans - in my view - probably came out better than the vast majority of teams, being reunited with their big three rivals. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Cu and Neb seemed to always feel more tied to their current conferences.  Same with Aggy, though they just wanted to give us the finger and have their own identity as well.  Don't blame them.  Mizzou is dipshit.  But in the end, it's money.

Nebraska is still a weird fit in the Big 10.  They were right where they belonged.  CU I can kinda see, but that's not exactly working out the way they imagined.

Aggy was always the best fit in the SEC out of the old Big 12, but they were a better fit where they were.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

So, you think that B1G would be distributing 100 m without Nebby, USC, UCLA, Maryland, and Rutgers being assimilated? That is an interesting take.

I guess it might be an interesting take but that's not what I'm talking about.

The hypothetical is the original B12 stays intact, not that the B1G never expands.  So if it expands without Nebraska but with those others?  Yes, of course, the money still gets to $100M.  Nebraska isn't bringing in $50M (x14 schools) all on its own.  It's possible they're even a net detractor from the B1G at this point.

Edited by utee94

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nebraska is still a weird fit in the Big 10.  They were right where they belonged.  CU I can kinda see, but that's not exactly working out the way they imagined.

Aggy was always the best fit in the SEC out of the old Big 12, but they were a better fit where they were.  

I was super bullish on realignment just because I wanted something new, and yea bigger games, but I was fine with the old Big 12.  

11 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

^^ The 3 "insiders" (1 legit for sure on his end) on the TCU 247 site Who heard the rumors of TCU being considered by the B1G have all been very limited and measured on the story.  They've always tempered expectations, saying what they heard was basically TCU was mentioned in a scenario for luring ND to the B1G but not in several other such ND strategies, and not in any non-ND options.  Have said it was a longshot and it's been quiet for awhile now.  I don't think they made the story up.

. . .

ND to B1G:  Yeah, we’re still not interested in joining.  Nothing is moving the needle for us.  Now, if you tell us that TCU is joining, then we might be in business.

B1G:  Really?

ND:  Hey, the French loved Jerry Lewis, Germans love Hasselhoff.  We love that little vaguely Protestant school.  It’s not really that weird.

B1G: [dumbfounded]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3