Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Semi not all inclusive Cliff Notes:  The rigged numbers from the Stewie Mandel School of Statistics

gettyimages-140625530.jpg

took an average where much/most of the Pac school's worst games were excluded, because so many were on unrated PacNet broadcasts (up to 8 games in a season.)

Totally Neutral Baylor site's adjusted adjusted just adjusted numbers adjusted for a more even comparison may or may not result it:

0050890-yamh.jpg

You can see why AZ would be most gung ho about taking a lifeline ASAP, and how smoking dope must have stunted CO's growth.  B12 should make KS a basketball only member.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, camel at sea said:

OU didn't want to saddle itself with the most difficult conference slate every year.  At the time, playing Nebraska, Texas, and A&M annually would have done that.  

Hypothetically, you could have set up Texas or A&M with an annual game against the Buffs - who were elite when the Big 12 was formed - and that might have helped OU with the Huskers.  But that still left one of those two without a "peer" North division school as a cross-division opponent.  Texas and OU weren't going to sign on for CU and Nebraska, annually, while A&M played a pre-Pinkel Mizzou.    

KSU hadn't shaken off their historical stink, ISU and Mizzou were both terrible at the time, and KU wasn't a good enough program to be the annual opponent of Texas or A&M.

The SEC's cross-division slate always worked because they had a "Big 6."  The two divisions could be balanced, with balanced schedules.  The Big 12 1.0 need another heavy-ish hitter in the North.  The best option out there for that was BYU (which was rolling and had a recent-ish NC and Heisman winner) but it would have meant being a 14 team league.  

KSU started the turnaround in 93. and they finished 3rd in the Big 8 behind nubs and CU in 93, 94, 95.  The north division had the higher ranked teams in the 90's.  The annual games would have been a great plan.

19 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

KSU started the turnaround in 93. and they finished 3rd in the Big 8 behind nubs and CU in 93, 94, 95.  The north division had the higher ranked teams in the 90's.  The annual games would have been a great plan.

Nobody had any reason to believe in '96, when the Big 12 started, that KSU was going to have staying power.  They'd been putrid for decades prior to Snyder.  KU is essentially the same story, with their Glen Mason era bump, and they have returned to awfulness more than once since then.  The North didn't have three brands to match up with the three bigger brands in the south.  The North division only had two.  That was the problem.  

Jack Hanna brought an Interference Tortoise to the Pac Media Day:

Heather Dinich @CFBHeather

39m

Asked @GregSankey

about CFP expansion before current contract expires: “I’m really interested in what people say in meeting rooms, not at media days. I don’t just take statements from the past couple of weeks as clear indications of direction.”

·

39m

@GregSankey

said, “Those kinds of public statements have been made before that ultimately resulted in a standstill. I’ll be interested to see how people actually approach it when we have to talk through important issues.”

37m

Last one from

@GregSankey

“They had made the decision that this would not happen during the 12-year cycle and they voted that way,” Sankey said. “So it appears pretty clear to me despite what may have been said at microphones this week and last week.”

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Okie State said:

What are you all going to do once you can't play the victim card anymore?

Remember the second halves of the OSU games from 2003-2007? How we would dash the Pokes’ hopes and not taunt or joke? Just wish you well and move on? It’s called winning with class. That’s what we plan to do. 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

the aggy complex about UT was always going to be a problem, but again, they're back in the same league but they've both come crawling to said league to escape some perceived disadvantage in the Big 12 and won't wield the power they once had.

come crawling?

perceived disadvantage?

• Hook 'Em 1

Remember the second halves of the OSU games from 2003-2007? How we would dash the Pokes’ hopes and not taunt or joke? Just wish you well and move on? It’s called winning with class. That’s what we plan to do. 
I remember those games well. I was there for a few of them. We were shitty and Texas was really good.
Comments like this is why it’s hard to feel sorry for you and the other leftovers
Ha, yeah I'm sure that's the reason.

21 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If the Big 12 had forced Nebraska and OU to play annually, one of them would have get butthurt about it and used it as an excuse to leave.

There was always an underlying "the grass is greener elsewhere" mentality among the power brokers in the league.  They never brought the tOSU/Mich mentality.  If Nebraska, Aggy, OU, and UT had ever worked together instead of just screaming at each other and blaming the others for everything, the Big 12 could have been as rock solid as the Big 10 and the SEC are today.  None of those schools were all that willing to be good partners to each other and they all eventually left, pointing fingers at the others on their way out the door.

Maybe a better commissioner could have soothed Nebraska's jealousy of Texas and found a way to get Osborne and Dodds to play nice with each other?  Who knows.  Aggy's UT complex was always going to be a problem, but again, they're back in the same league but they've both come crawling to said league to escape some perceived disadvantage in the Big 12 and won't wield the power they once had.

If the Queen had balls she'd be King, I guess.

Too many "ifs" in there. The Big 12 was doomed from the beginning. We're fundamentally very different. People from Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri have this weird chip on their shoulder about being overlooked (I get it, the Coastal elites mentioning flyover country is annoying AF) 

I know they'll never admit it but Nebraska was really the Benedict Arnold of the Big 12 from the beginning. 

1. They had the attitude "we saved the SWC schools and let them going our conference". This was not the case, the Big 12 was a brand new conference. 

2. Big Red was rolling in the 90's while Oklahoma and Texas were wandering the desert. Nebraska knew they needed to keep this advantage and pushed unequal revenue sharing hard. 

3. Texas has always had the mission of being a world class University with it sights set in the UC System and the ivy's. Going back to what I referenced earlier about that flyover state attitude, Nebraska's identity and pride is tied to football. Texas helped raise the academic profile of the entire conference by getting rid of Prop 48 players but this severely pissed of Nebraska and Tom Osborne. 

4. The lower level schools and the penis envy created an atmosphere of toxic resentment from all parties involved. Voting blocks, coaches poll votes, negative recruiting, etc. It showed Texas they need to get TF away from all the little brothers who only care about "ruining Texas"

TLDR: Nebraska and their fragile ego fractured the conference from the get go. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Too many "ifs" in there. The Big 12 was doomed from the beginning. We're fundamentally very different. People from Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri have this weird chip on their shoulder about being overlooked (I get it, the Coastal elites mentioning flyover country is annoying AF) 

I know they'll never admit it but Nebraska was really the Benedict Arnold of the Big 12 from the beginning. 

1. They had the attitude "we saved the SWC schools and let them going our conference". This was not the case, the Big 12 was a brand new conference. 

2. Big Red was rolling in the 90's while Oklahoma and Texas were wandering the desert. Nebraska knew they needed to keep this advantage and pushed unequal revenue sharing hard. 

3. Texas has always had the mission of being a world class University with it sights set in the UC System and the ivy's. Going back to what I referenced earlier about that flyover state attitude, Nebraska's identity and pride is tied to football. Texas helped raise the academic profile of the entire conference by getting rid of Prop 48 players but this severely pissed of Nebraska and Tom Osborne. 

4. The lower level schools and the penis envy created an atmosphere of toxic resentment from all parties involved. Voting blocks, coaches poll votes, negative recruiting, etc. It showed Texas they need to get TF away from all the little brothers who only care about "ruining Texas"

this is only the corn angle, aggy is/was 30000x worse

al4isu and our okielite friends in this thread project a bidirectional flow of Texas actions directed against others, mainly them and everyone else in the conference, which is actually a subconcious defense mechanism to justify their need to have an enemy to vilify to rationalize their own situation

@other posters last 24 hours,, if deloss was undiplomatic, tell me what he did or said that was a direct attack on anyone else in the conference

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this is only the corn angle, aggy is/was 30000x worse

al4isu and our okielite friends in this thread project a bidirectional flow of Texas actions directed against others, mainly them and everyone else in the conference, which is actually a subconcious defense mechanism to justify their need to have an enemy to vilify to rationalize their own situation

@other posters last 24 hours,, if deloss was undiplomatic, tell me what he did or said that was a direct attack on anyone else in the conference

Dude, your insecurity is showing. Deloss was shrewd and undiplomatic, just like all the rest of the crusty old turds that were running the conference. They did not value what we had, and that's why we can't have nice things today.

2 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Dude, your insecurity is showing. Deloss was shrewd and undiplomatic, just like all the rest of the crusty old turds that were running the conference. They did not value what we had, and that's why we can't have nice things today.

/brokenrecord

if deloss was a crusty old turd, tell me what he did or said that classifies as a Big Evil Texas attack on anyone else?

Edited by Hagbard Celine
derp

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

tell me what he did or said that classifies as a Big Evil Texas attack on anyone else?

Nobody is saying he attacked anyone. That is why you seem insecure.

If you could read worth a shit, you would see that I said he was shrewd and he did not value the other members of the conference as legitimate business partners. Instead, everyone, including your dear old besty Deloss, was trying to leverage the fuck out of everyone else for every dollar they could get in that moment in time.

16 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

You act like Deloss was the only swinging big dick.  I can assure you from Donnie Duncan to Joe Castiglione, OU was at least an equal in all these talks between the two schools.  OU and Texas hate eachother in Dallas but when it comes to big boy negotiations there was always a very high level of respect.  And there’s the rub, aggy and corn aggy never had and never will have that respect.  

Texas obviously gets too much hate but they get most of the money too…that’s life.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

If you could read worth a shit, you would see that I said he was shrewd and he did not value the other members of the conference as legitimate business partners. Instead, everyone, including your dear old besty Deloss, was trying to leverage the fuck out of everyone else for every dollar they could get in that moment in time.

Which in my opinion is he grew up in it. Born and raised in Kansas and a graduate of Kansas St. He's well versed in all things Big 8 and Nebraska. As much shit as Texas gets, Nebraska abused TF out of the Big 8 and everyone just went along with it. 

8 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

if true, why didn't we demand unequal revenue sharing?

if true, why didn't we keep the orphan5 payouts?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if true, why didn't we demand unequal revenue sharing?

if true, why didn't we keep the orphan5 payouts?

Wtf are you blabbering on about? This has nothing to do with anything we are talking about.

Once LHN was in place, what did any of this matter? It was inconsequential.

2 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

I'd blame Tom Osborne far more than the institution itself.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

The Big 12 was Dodds baby.  He and the OU AD created the conference.  He was very much for saving it.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

can you please show your work here?  specifically, when did UT scream at the other 3, and why?

How about the fact that the original Big 12 doesn’t exist any more?

What more “work” do you need?  If those four could get along, then the original Big 12 would still exist and be in a great position to be on-par with SEC and B1G as one of three “Super conferences.”

Does that mean the blame is equal? Of course not. I honestly think it’s mostly Nebraska’s and Aggy’s fault, mostly because both had massive inferiority complexes toward Texas.

But the bottom line is that if all four could have found ways to co-exist for the the betterment of the league (like the bluebloods in B1G and SEC have over the years) then the original Big 12 would be in a great spot today. 

44 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

How about the fact that the original Big 12 doesn’t exist any more?

What more “work” do you need?  If those four could get along, then the original Big 12 would still exist and be in a great position to be on-par with SEC and B1G as one of three “Super conferences.”

Does that mean the blame is equal? Of course not. I honestly think it’s mostly Nebraska’s and Aggy’s fault, mostly because both had massive inferiority complexes toward Texas.

But the bottom line is that if all four could have found ways to co-exist for the the betterment of the league (like the bluebloods in B1G and SEC have over the years) then the original Big 12 would be in a great spot today. 

That’s it.  Their inferiority complex killed it.  Tom never got over Barry being a complete asshole to him and owning his ass on the field.  I won’t even get into aggy and you guys.  Lulz.  

Barry hated Texas but there was still respect.  Million quotes about it being the top job in the country etc.  Hell DeLoss wanted to negotiate steroid testing as part of the RRR.  The schools still got along fine at the top.  That only happens if there’s mutual respect.  

That’s why aggy Texas relations will NEVER be fixed.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

From the Dodd link above:

"...That day signaled the end of the Pac-12 as we know it. The league will likely survive but only in some altered form.

It could pluck suddenly attractive San Diego State (among others) and become the equivalent of a Mountain West Plus.

It could also stay at 10 teams. One Pac-12 AD told CBS Sports that's "the best and only option....""

Based on that Baylor guy's analysis, SDSU is not that attractive.  And you know they won't take Boise.

I guess the commissioner is right the Big 12 won't take a Pac 12 school.  There is no Pac 12.  Its a Pac 10 now.

2 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Wtf are you blabbering on about? This has nothing to do with anything we are talking about.

Once LHN was in place, what did any of this matter? It was inconsequential.

attack the poster

ignore the question

attempt to deflect and redirect with an irrelevant and unrelated strawman

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1