Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

ISU is trying to stay n the right tier for them. 
So is Texas. What we have noticed, and the rest of the B12 refuses to acknowledge, is that there is a new top tier. It’s not the P5 schools anymore. NIL has changed all of that. That’s why Tarique Milton transferred to Texas for his final year, to a program that has had less success than the one he left (even head to head). That’s why two star ISU safeties have portaled out, to Ol Miss and Duke. Milton will get at least $100k at Texas. I assume the Ol Miss safety (Ysheen Young?) will get similar. (I assume Ol Miss portal RB, Zach Evans, from TCU, will get similar). 
I’m stealing a Tahoe Horn line- “College football is a professional sport now. Some programs can’t go professional, like Oregon State. Others won’t go professional, like Stanford.”
You want the B12 to be in the top tier? You need all the teams to be able to charge $100 for each game day ticket and for the scholarship guys to get at least $50k each per year in NIL. Otherwise, you’re in the junior division. 
Texas didn’t make the rules, but luckily it had the resources to do ok by them. 

We acknowledge there’s a new top financial tier.

What were raging about is the amount of schools that are grandfathered into it that are only receiving that financial advantage due to long standing associations with some of those top tier schools that are letting them along for the ride.

If the top 10–15 brands did their own thing, I’d be thrilled. Everyone left would belong together.

And this tier is only about finances. There are 4-5 programs that can win a natty. Maybe.
  • Rage+1 1

What were raging about is the amount of schools that are grandfathered into it that are only receiving that financial advantage due to long standing associations with some of those top tier schools that are letting them along for the ride.

If the top 10–15 brands did their own thing, I’d be thrilled. Everyone left would belong together.

And this tier is only about finances. There are 4-5 programs that can win a natty. Maybe.
Yeah I don't think anyone on here has said the Big 12 should be top tier. Why would anyone say that?

54 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I guess I’m blowing off steam because I’m enraged at how we’ve done absolutely everything you’re supposed to do and doesn’t matter. We got way better. We’re top 30 in attendance and rating. We have a legitimate stadium and legitimate program and it doesn’t fucking matter because we were born on the wrong side of the tracks and sucked 30 years ago. Subjective elitist bullshit trumping meritocracy generally triggers its targets.

Well, don’t let me stop you. I don’t blame you. 

You’re not the only ones in those shoes, either. Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and TCU all spent out the wazoo trying to do what they were supposed to in order to keep up. Frankly, UofHouston has been spending millions from their general fund and soliciting donations from big money to catch up as well.

They still are. Tech just announced a $200 million facilities upgrade for football and a guaranteed $50k per year for every player on the football roster, preferred walk ons included. Oklahoma State announced raises for every staff member on the football team competitive with just about any football in the country not in the B1G/SEC. 

But yeah. It’s not enough. Born on the wrong side of the tracks describes it to a T. Of course, there are worse tracks. You could have been born in Rwanda with a completely different set of priorities. That’s not said to make you feel better, by the way. Unfairness doesn’t feel better when you’re subjected to it by pointing out other unfairness. It doesn’t work that way. It’s merely to say that’s just how the world works, and the most we can do is fight to chip away at it the best we can. 

It’s not like the Big 12 is disappearing. I’m impressed with how this is unfolding that the Big 12 is looking better currently than the PAC and ACC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Really think it’s so great being Kentucky in the new hierarchy? Going 4-8 in football, regularly, because the school has decided to spend its money on basketball? While a junior division program like Virginia could win 10 games in a good year (missing the 12 team playoff while some nine win B10 team makes it)?

Edited by statsman

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yep.  It sucks.  And life isn't fair.  Sometimes you get screwed even when you do everything right.  But in the wise words of Marlo...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Horn of Gabriel

4 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

It looks like the Big Ten is coming for that sweet 10:30 time-slot.

Imagine flying 6 hours, sitting in LA traffic for an hour, playing until 2am bodyclock time, doing postgame stuff for an hour, driving 30 minutes, then flying back 6 hours.

They're really putting the student-athlete first.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This really all just comes back to some kind "you're just a podunk cow college" bullshit.  

I've used the analogy of kids building tree forts.  You can't be in our club cause nanana booboo.  That's what this feels like to the schools left out.  You're adequately sized stadiums and passionate fanbases don't matter cause you're from gross towns (that we've never been to but know are gross) or whatever.

Talking about the bottom half of the leagues.

image.png.352dc5076ef140d759745aebd4a16f53.png

Here is 2021 football attendance per Wikipedia.  I removed Ohio State, Michigan, Texas and OU.

5 B1G are above the best remaining Big 12 school.

I don't think Texas and OU would be leaving a league with that type of attendance and support.

Most blame has to fall on NU, CU, Mizzou, and ATM for leaving the league.  These were those types schools in the Big 12 that still remain in the B1G.

ATM is basically directly comparable to Penn St in support and prob more valuable in TV.

My two cents.

Edited by burdine

4 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Imagine flying 6 hours, sitting in LA traffic for an hour, playing until 2am bodyclock time, doing postgame stuff for an hour, driving 30 minutes, then flying back 6 hours.

All of which is ameliorated by showing the movie, Wall Street on the flight home 

25 minutes ago, statsman said:

Really think it’s so great being Kentucky in the new hierarchy? Going 4-8 in football, regularly, because the school has decided to spend its money on basketball? While a junior division program like Virginia could win 10 games in a good year (missing the 12 team playoff while some nine win B10 team makes it)?

Kentucky draws about 15,000 more fans a game than Virginia.  In fact they draw better than all but 5 ACC schools.  And they would do a lot better W-L in the ACC.  And UK has won less than 5 games only twice going back to 2005.  UVA has done it 6 times since then.  UK has a couple of 10 win seasons in that period, including last year.  UVA has one 10 win season in their history, in 1989.

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

It’s hard not to be cynical watching the destruction of a great American pastime. Programs big and small are wringing their hands all across the country while they listen to university chancellors and ADs extol the virtues of molding leaders,  advancing scholarship and research as they stab each other in the back in order to make more money than they’ll ever need. And despite the temporary high that comes from watching the thinning of the herd from on high, nobody can look at what’s happening and say with a straight face that this is good for college football. It’s actually kind of disgusting to watch. It’s why I drag all of the schools. Fans are the absolute last consideration in this.

And also claiming that sharing any of those hundreds of millions of dollars with the players is the real problem. How dare the guys whose brains are being pummeled to mush on a weekly basis to create the product ask for any part of the revenues. The schools need it, for academics, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, burdine said:

image.png.352dc5076ef140d759745aebd4a16f53.png

Here is 2021 football attendance per Wikipedia.  I removed Ohio State, Michigan, Texas and OU.

5 B1G are above the best remaining Big 12 school.

I don't think Texas and OU would be leaving a league with that type of attendance and support.

Most blame has to fall on NU, CU, Mizzou, and ATM for leaving the league.  These were those types schools in the Big 12 that still remain in the B1G.

ATM is basically directly comparable to Penn St in support and prob more valuable in TV.

My two cents.

image.png.904d2cad9a53b084c46cddd65825ddf1.png

I went ahead and did the SEC with the remaining Big 12 the same way.

Basically, there are 3 tiers in the B1G and the SEC, and the Big 12 is missing a upper middle tier of programs like Auburn, ATM, Penn State, NU, Wisky, etc.

There is nothing comparable in the remaining Big 12.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I guess I’m blowing off steam because I’m enraged at how we’ve done absolutely everything you’re supposed to do and doesn’t matter. We got way better. We’re top 30 in attendance and rating. We have a legitimate stadium and legitimate program and it doesn’t fucking matter because we were born on the wrong side of the tracks and sucked 30 years ago. Subjective elitist bullshit trumping meritocracy generally triggers its targets.

I agree. As an OSU fan, what more were we supposed to do? We got a BMD to pour in cash. We hired good coaches. We haven't had a losing season in 15 years, won a coference title and played for several more. We're in the top 10-12 in wins over the last decade.  And for that, we're called a leech? I feel like we did our part.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Sandman said:

I agree. As an OSU fan, what more were we supposed to do? We got a BMD to pour in cash. We hired good coaches. We haven't had a losing season in 15 years, won a coference title and played for several more. We're in the top 10-12 in wins over the last decade.  And for that, we're called a leech? I feel like we did our part.

OSU and ISU are the class of the remaining.

However, attendance is still 30-40% less than comparable programs in SEC and B1G.

Not leeches I think but not the same either.

4 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Understand the leech part is from @Al_4_ISU talking about the Big 10 members associated with Michigan and Ohio State able to ride their coattails, while OU and Texas bailed on the Big 12 members. I don’t think of OSU as a leech. I’d just prefer to be in the SEC. They’d only be a leech if they were insisting on being granted admittance to the SEC along with Texas and OU or they’d torpedo the whole thing, the way Texas Tech and Baylor did back in 1996 when the Big 12 was formed. 

“Leech” was only used as a term for consistency’s sake. I don’t think of the other 8 teams in the original Big 10 as leeches, either. As @Al_4_ISU says, it more about being born on the wrong side of the tracks than anything else. 

12 minutes ago, statsman said:

You could have had Gundy vote OU just one spot ahead of Texas in 2008, instead of five. But, you didn’t and he didn’t. I get it- his brother is a Sooner coach. Your schools have a special relationship. I’m sure it was a lot of fun going down, lots of laughs.
Go take your sobbing over to the Sooners. They owe you one. We don’t

Yep.  He could pretend to hate ou all he wants but end of the day he hates us more I guess

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Vermin said:

West Virginia will have to deal with this when they fly into Provo 

20 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Understand the leech part is from @Al_4_ISU talking about the Big 10 members associated with Michigan and Ohio State able to ride their coattails, while OU and Texas bailed on the Big 12 members. I don’t think of OSU as a leech. I’d just prefer to be in the SEC. They’d only be a leech if they were insisting on being granted admittance to the SEC along with Texas and OU or they’d torpedo the whole thing, the way Texas Tech and Baylor did back in 1996 when the Big 12 was formed. 

“Leech” was only used as a term for consistency’s sake. I don’t think of the other 8 teams in the original Big 10 as leeches, either. As @Al_4_ISU says, it more about being born on the wrong side of the tracks than anything else. 

I have zero argument if you want to say that our stadium isn't big enough or we don't get enough attendence, or Stillwater isn't a big enough town. It's the "freerider" tag that I think is stupid. Kansas is a freerider. Kansas State is a freerider. 

I also have zero issue with Texas. We weren't conference mates for that long, we rarely played before the B12 started. I don't blame them for leaving. Fuck ou though.

• Hook 'Em 1

You could have had Gundy vote OU just one spot ahead of Texas in 2008, instead of five. But, you didn’t and he didn’t. I get it- his brother is a Sooner coach. Your schools have a special relationship. I’m sure it was a lot of fun going down, lots of laughs.
You keep bringing this up as if any of us had anything to do with it. Weird thing to get hung up on.

11 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I have zero argument if you want to say that our stadium isn't big enough or we don't get enough attendence, or Stillwater isn't a big enough town. It's the "freerider" tag that I think is stupid. Kansas is a freerider. Kansas State is a freerider. 

I also have zero issue with Texas. We weren't conference mates for that long, we rarely played before the B12 started. I don't blame them for leaving. Fuck ou though.

I don’t think it’s right to call OSU and ISU leeches and I don’t think it’s right to say Texas and OU have a similar decision to make as Ohio St and Mich in remaining in their conference. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

looking here

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/irim/NEWFACTBOOK/FactSheets/FactSheet-Fall2020.pdf

2020 enrollment

5,175 Lubbock County

2,786 Harris

2,582 Tarrant

2,462 Collin

2,214 Dallas

1,726 Denton

1,675 Bexar

1,258 Travis

1,061 Williamson

994 Fort Bend

I thought they were pulling a lot more out of Montgomery County as well, but I would bet it is next on the list or perhaps this was just an off year for that.....I would imagine a lot of the Harris County ones are from suburban districts that are competitive for top 10% some of the Montgomery County students might be heading to Arkansas or Hotty Toddy

so the metromess is clearly first, but even the Austin area is landing Tech students now and the Houston area is getting them too

Just go to the map showing total 2020 Tceh enrollment by TX county.  Montgomery Co. had 650 of the Houston area's 5035 students.  DFW had 10,500+, the Austin area 3000+,  and the San Antonio metro 2500+.  So well represented in all the state's major markets.

But that's where students are from.  I can't blame well informed graduates from choosing to live and work elsewhere from the flat, floody, hurricane & mosquito plagued 6 month sauna that is Houston, so this data doesn't reveal how many alumni are there to actually watch TT on TV.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vermin said:

That's all that is, imagination.

LA to Iowa City is about 3 hours flying direct, B1G football will almost surely be flying the football team charter the Friday before the game, they aren't going to be driving the bus in LA traffic, so riding allows a likely less stressful chance to do homework, talk or text or surf on their phones, relax, talk, goof around, look out the window at someplace probably new, etc.  And this just in:  College students in studies have been proven to be capable of sometimes staying up late to quite late, often by their own choice!  And (for now) that will be 1 game or west coast trip a year, max.  Oh, the humanity!

Anyway, the B12 fans should be pretty relaxed, absent something very unexpected, their schools will likely be a part of any ultimate breakaway.  Herbstreit (not that he's the most informed, but is in several positions to hear things) has changed his tune in the last few weeks, from predicting 2 superconferences eventually breaking away to now 3.  Others have concurred.  B1G and SEC will get paid a lot more, but there will likely be a 3rd involved.  They need a weaker 3rd to play and hope that will pad their win total, and politically 44 to 48 schools in just 3 conferences breaking away will be very hard to pull off. 3 with 64 to 68 is more likely, with the 3rd superconf on a lower financial tier.  But several of those schools have proven adept at rising up to the Cinderella/BCS Buster roles, and will continue to do so.  There are very few scenarios where further B1G and SEC expansion doesn't work out fine for the B12.  And even if we stay at a P5 or end up at a P5, the B12 will be ok as long as they don't have significant defects to the Pac or ACC.  GOR ramifications make ACC raiding unlikely, so likely it's just down to fending off the Pac.  An ND or B1G move probably kills that threat, too.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

LA to Iowa City is about 3 hours flying direct, B1G football will almost surely be flying the football team charter the Friday before the game, they aren't going to be driving the bus in LA traffic, so riding allows a likely less stressful chance to do homework, talk or text or surf on their phones, relax, talk, goof around, look out the window at someplace probably new, etc.  And this just in:  College students in studies have been proven to be capable of sometimes staying up late to quite late, often by their own choice!  And (for now) that will be 1 game or west coast trip a year, max.  Oh, the humanity!

Yeah, acadmic concerns have been assuaged for some time now...

4 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

aaa.thumb.png.6bd66d453d602c1fea17d07ae0c71631.png

It's 4 hours and Iowa City is the 3rd westernmost city.

They'll enjoy looking out the window...🤡

7 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

It won't be one trip a year for USC and UCLA. And significantly more than that for basketball, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vermin said:

aaa.thumb.png.6bd66d453d602c1fea17d07ae0c71631.png

It's 4 hours and Iowa City is the 3rd westernmost city.

They'll enjoy looking out the window...🤡

B1G football ain't flying commercial (which has schedule padding to keep on time figures up).  1550 miles from LA to Iowa City, jets do roughly 500 mph, so yes, in the 3 hours range, nowhere close to the 6 hours you posted.

As the USC and UCLA having multiple road trips, they knew what they were getting into.  But those central and eastern time zone games end 2 and 3 hours earlier, so negating most of the time difference in the further travel as compared to flying to schools in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Colorado.  In fact a night basketball game in Iowa City will probably result in an earlier arrival back in LA than if played in Seattle or Corvallis, because of the start time difference.  There's the travel partner factor, and other ways to reduce scheduling impact.  And we've recently learned that the B1G and Pac schools seem to be especially strong proponents of education by ZOOM...

The new players union can negotiate time/distance based travel bonuses, conditions for mandatory post-game hotel stays, etc.

There's various costs and tradeoffs to this expansion, but it isn't the end of the world.  Too much drama about it.

Edited by clapclapclap

50 minutes ago, burdine said:

I don’t think it’s right to call OSU and ISU leeches and I don’t think it’s right to say Texas and OU have a similar decision to make as Ohio St and Mich in remaining in their conference. 

No one is fucking calling OSU and ISU leeches.

It was in the context of the conversation. I don't think of OSU and ISU as leeches any more than I think of Michigan State and Minnesota as leeches. It was the term used by al_4_ISU. 

On 7/25/2022 at 11:40 AM, mdmost said:

I would think Pac 12 CCG being on a Friday night versus Big 12 being on Saturday with all the other CCGs would be a little bit of a factor in that disparity. Plus, the Pac CCG was out of the playoff hunt. oSu still had a shot if Alabama had lost the SEC game. Not the entire factor but a factor.

Interest in the Pac 12 Championship game started to deflate pretty quickly for many Duck fans.  After the weak performance and loss to Utah 2 weeks prior (which ended any playoff talk undeserved or deserved.) , it became known that the head coach was visiting his ailing mother in Miami [At the same time, the U was expressing interest in Cristobal and leaving their coach hanging.]  Any talk of a revenge rematch was quickly replaced with the drama of what was going on with the head coaching drama. [Is he accepting a new Duck contract via Phil Knight, is he going to Miami, who were the possible replacements, which coaches might stay or leave, etc.]  The championship game became an afterthought...and the bowl destinations weren't that intriguing either compared to the coaching uncertainty, especially since Cristobal had been promoted when the previous coach thankfully left for FSU.  Lots of pressure on the UO AD at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, statsman said:

You keep bringing this up as if any of us had anything to do with it. Weird thing to get hung up on.

That's a weird thing to bring up as a response to him bringing that up.

None of us have much to do with any of this shit. If we did, we'd probably be doing that rather than posting on message boards pretending like our opinions have any value whatsoever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, burdine said:

Oklahoma State has most definitely exceeded “leech” in terms of rank and status, but Iowa State?…………

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

No paywall, but let's highlight the nuggets, because they appear to be, uh, big:

The schools being considered by the Big Ten, sources told Action Network, are Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Miami and Florida State.

Hmmm, might imply that UNC and UVA have decided to go SEC?  If that's the case, the Clem and FSU are probably the SEC's other targets.  I'd guess Miami is the backup plan for the B1G if FSU can't be lured.  And probably the caveat that the B1G might end up adding 1 or more schools not named above, for various reasons, to complete their expansion. 

That said, the B12 probably would play a big part of the B1G and SEC expansion strategies regarding getting the desired ACC schools out.  Having a landing spot (albeit lower $$$) for most, maybe even all, of the ACC left behinds would be a key argument in trying to reduce the GOR/exit costs.  B12 might offer to take in all the ACC leftovers if ESPN converts the ACCNet into a B12+A+P channel.  Still not good news for OR St and WA St.

Warren said...being an AAU member is not a requirement for a potential future member.

Finally we can put to bed that message boards realignment paint by numbers canard.

...“Literally every Power Five conference school not in the SEC has reached out to the Big Ten”...

...“It could be two months to two years,” another source said. “There could be an odd number, and there are not any specific number of teams”...

...Since the announcement of USC and UCLA to the Big Ten on June 30, Warren said he has not spoken with Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff...

,,,Warren said he has developed a close relationship with new Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark.,,

...Could the Rose Bowl actually pivot in the future to a Big Ten-Big 12 matchup?...

Warren said he doesn't know how many power conferences we end up with.  Meanwhile, a Big Ten coach suggests that it will end up an B1G and SEC only world and playoff, which implies Warren would just use the B12 and then stab then in the back alliance style.  Again, I think that would tick off too many important political bases to pull off. 

...Warren said he is 100% supportive of an expanded playoff but favors automatic bids to Power Five conference champions.

“There should be some difference for conferences who win their conference championships,” Warren said. “There has to be a reward for winning the conference...

...Warren added with an expanded playoff, whether it’s eight, 12 or 16 teams, that “I don’t ever want to get to the point where a committee chose (all the teams) that go to the College Football Playoff...”

...“Greg and I were both trained well by (former SEC commissioner) Mike Slive (Slive hired Warren out of Notre Dame law school). I know Greg’s head fakes....”

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, demos said:

If they wouldn’t take ou, I don’t see them taking fsu or miami. He’s just stirring the pot.

The whole, we'll figure it out as we go along in a year or two, is a real stir the pot.  Its pretty destabilizing, much like their 2009-2010 open auditions that lead to Texas to come up with the Pac 16 idea.

5 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

No paywall, but let's highlight the nuggets, because they appear to be, uh, big:

The schools being considered by the Big Ten, sources told Action Network, are Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Miami and Florida State.

Hmmm, might imply that UNC and UVA have decided to go SEC?  If that's the case, the Clem and FSU are probably the SEC's other targets.  I'd guess Miami is the backup plan for the B1G if FSU can't be lured.  And probably the caveat that the B1G might end up adding 1 or more schools not named above, for various reasons, to complete their expansion. 

Warren said...being an AAU member is not a requirement for a potential future member.

Finally we can put to bed that message boards realignment paint by numbers canard.

...“Literally every Power Five conference school not in the SEC has reached out to the Big Ten”...

...“It could be two months to two years,” another source said. “There could be an odd number, and there are not any specific number of teams”...

...Since the announcement of USC and UCLA to the Big Ten on June 30, Warren said he has not spoken with Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff...

,,,Warren said he has developed a close relationship with new Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark.,,

...Could the Rose Bowl actually pivot in the future to a Big Ten-Big 12 matchup?...

Warren said he doesn't know how many power conferences we end up with.  Meanwhile, a Big Ten coach suggests that it will end up an B1G and SEC only world and playoff, which implies Warren would just use the B12 and then stab then in the back alliance style.  Again, I think that would tick off too many important political bases to pull off. 

...Warren said he is 100% supportive of an expanded playoff but favors automatic bids to Power Five conference champions.

“There should be some difference for conferences who win their conference championships,” Warren said. “There has to be a reward for winning the conference...

...Warren added with an expanded playoff, whether it’s eight, 12 or 16 teams, that “I don’t ever want to get to the point where a committee chose (all the teams) that go to the College Football Playoff...”

...“Greg and I were both trained well by (former SEC commissioner) Mike Slive (Slive hired Warren out of Notre Dame law school). I know Greg’s head fakes....”

The whole conference championship thing is the B1G trying to force Notre Dame to join. They've already pretty much admitted there's going to be consolidation, so what is the reasoning for conference champions being involved in the playoff? In the future the SEC/B1G are building here, conference champions in the playoffs is a formality in most cases.

And I hope Notre Dame is forced into a conference. A few pages back, I was discussing the idea that ESPN/SEC should just relinquish ND to the B1G in return for North Carolina. SEC is probably never getting Notre Dame and North Carolina is really the only toss up. Right now, ESPN/ACC has leverage, but I'd imagine if ESPN/SEC and FOX/B1G all worked together (wink, wink), they could blow up the ACC right now and make the settlements worth it.

• Hook 'Em 2