Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

He's an OSU alum. In addition to being devilishly handsome, we can be sneaky spicy.

You certainly are the curry powder of college football sir. Might we interest you in a gently used Satyanash?

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, gatormarc said:

But that's not correct. If you look back more than one season, you see several non-top programs that have grabbed a 5 star or two.

I looked back through 2015 (since that's all 247 is showing right now) and these arguably non-top programs all signed at least 1 5 star:

Kentucky, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Miss St, Iowa, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue, North Carolina, Stanford, Cal

During that time, I only found 1 non-OUT Big12 school that signed a 5 star.

Baylor - 2015

2 if you count Houston in 2016.

Yes, you are correct in that the power programs are mopping up most of the 5 stars, but it ignores his larger point that the ratio was among the worst of the major conferences in the Big 12.

Compared to the SEC where Vanderbilt is the only SEC program that didn't sign a 5 star in the 9 classes I looked at.

You didn't pay attention to my numbers.  SEC got 20 of the 32 last year.  You've only got a few outside the powers and SEC.  nBig12 is on a par with the nPac10 and the ACC other than FSU, Clemson and Miami.  Maybe Mack will pick up one occasionally.

14 hours ago, gatormarc said:

Does this mean we've all accepted the facts of the discussion since you've moved on to hypotheticals?

We've accepted that getting 5 stars is rare for anybody but the top powers and the SEC.  So its a stupid article.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Trying to maximize teams into the expanded playoff, nothing more....nothing less.

It's also about maximizing home games with buy a win teams. I guess we'll see when expansion happens. If you have a shit schedule and lose your conference, might make it tougher than 3 SEC teams who play better OOC opponents. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

It's also about maximizing home games with buy a win teams. I guess we'll see when expansion happens. If you have a shit schedule and lose your conference, might make it tougher than 3 SEC teams who play better OOC opponents. 

Yeah I don't think we can necessarily look at past CFB playoff rankings as a rationale for how they will rank once the expansion starts. Every year rankings were setup for 4 teams and the 5-25 didn't matter. I'm interested to see how committee will rank 5-8 in accordance with 9-12 as they now have significant meaning.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Is the SEC still going to do the November FCS game?

I also wonder if this means Big 10 teams will start scheduling FCS schools again.

I don't think the SEC has come a decision yet on scheduling. I'd imagine they'd want it hashed out before the start of this coming season so they can drop the new 2024 schedules around the same time they normally do. 

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah I don't think we can necessarily look at past CFB playoff rankings as a rationale for how they will rank once the expansion starts. Every year rankings were setup for 4 teams and the 5-25 didn't matter. I'm interested to see how committee will rank 5-8 in accordance with 9-12 as they now have significant meaning.

I don't think the SEC has come a decision yet on scheduling. I'd imagine they'd want it hashed out before the start of this coming season so they can drop the new 2024 schedules around the same time they normally do. 

The expectation is that the SEC will vote on the scheduling format in a few weeks at the Spring meetings in Destin. 

I could see the SEC dropping the P5 OOC requirement as well to get the last few stragglers on board (Kentucky and I think the Mississippi schools) with a 9 game conference schedule.

I don't see it really affecting the top half of the league because the current belief among them is that with a 12 game playoff is that schedule is more important than perfection.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Trying to maximize teams into the expanded playoff, nothing more....nothing less.

Nah.  Just scared ADs and coaches wanting to keep their jobs by playing weaker opponents, while shafting the fans.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Is the SEC still going to do the November FCS game?

I also wonder if this means Big 10 teams will start scheduling FCS schools again.

They already dropped that rule.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They are supposed to be going over the alternatives in their mid-May meetings.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Coming soon to the Big 10, even more shitty games!!! I bet the new TV partners are thrilled.

The B1G should be looking to play more games against the SEC and ACC. Games against the MAC and OVC just don't move the dial for anyone, especially TV partners. But, I guess App State is eager for another game in the Big House.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Those were from pre-existing contracts, IIRC.  I think they banned any future FCS games.

I would be pretty surprised if many schools scheduled FCS games seven years in advance, but college football is crazy, so it's possible.  Also, it looks like that rule only lasted for one season and now half of the schools each year can play FCS schools:

And it's expected that Big Ten teams will still be allowed to schedule FCS teams: Back in 2016, the conference introduced a rule that forbade B1G schools from playing non-FBS opponents and mandated that they play at least one non-conference game against a Power Five school.

But in 2017, the Big Ten relaxed that rule, allowing members to schedule an FCS opponent during those seasons where they have four conference home games.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football-schedule/big-ten-football-schedule-change-2024

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gatormarc said:

I guess the B1G dropping the P5 requirement is as good as done.

Ohio State scheduled Marshall for 2024.

That gives them Southern Miss, Western Michigan, and Marshall as OOC opponents for that season.

To the extent it was even a requirement at all. Maryland and Michigan didn’t play a P5 school in nonconference last year. 

7 hours ago, bullet said:

Brett McMurphy on 365.  Talks about Big 10 schedules, then Pac 10 media deal.

Summary on Pac 10-things aren't looking good, but Big 10 seems to want someone else to leave before going after UW and Oregon.

It’s a standoff:  Big 10 won’t do anything until someone leaves for the Big 12, no on one will leave for Big 12 until ORWA bolts, so nothing will happen 

8 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

To the extent it was even a requirement at all. Maryland and Michigan didn’t play a P5 school in nonconference last year. 

I recall Michigan got a special exception for UConn since they are an independent but I don't know about Maryland. It's a lot harder to find out the details on the Big10. They don't seem to host all of their rulebooks online like the SEC does.

Also, yeah, I guess they dropped the requirement after a year.

Edited by gatormarc

10 hours ago, bullet said:

Brett McMurphy on 365.  Talks about Big 10 schedules, then Pac 10 media deal.

Summary on Pac 10-things aren't looking good, but Big 10 seems to want someone else to leave before going after UW and Oregon.

Interesting stuff in there and sounds way more reasonable than any of the stuff that that PAC shills are throwing out. 

ESPN only wants to lowball is about what has been out there. 

The portion at the end about the NY Post guy's comments 100% spot on. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

pretty sure this is the answer.

Depends on the TV deal.  If the deal is as crappy as some are predicting, Arizona is bolting regardless of what the others do.  I think AU leaving then forces ASU and CU to think long and hard on doing the same.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Depends on the TV deal.  If the deal is as crappy as some are predicting, Arizona is bolting regardless of what the others do.  I think AU leaving then forces ASU and CU to think long and hard on doing the same.

If one Pac school leaves, its over.   The flood gates will open.   They can function at 10 with what they have, but there is no one left at 9 to fill the loss.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

What if they never get a TV deal offer?  That seems plausible at this point.

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What if they never get a TV deal offer?  That seems plausible at this point.

They'll get an offer one way or another, even if its the CW offering them a primetime spot after reruns of Dean Cain's Superman show.

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It’s a standoff:  Big 10 won’t do anything until someone leaves for the Big 12, no on one will leave for Big 12 until ORWA bolts, so nothing will happen 

At some point though, probably relatively soon, one of the 4C will jump ship.  The lingering issue of a media rights deal (or not having one) will force the issue.  Continued delay over the lack of an acceptable rights deal will mean an unbearable risk of being left behind.  Oregon and Washington can make certain that no deal is ever acceptable until one of their comrades finally leaves.  I think Oregon would be making more noise right now if they didn't have a good spot lined up.  

The PAC won't die, though. because there will not be a spot for everyone.  For some period of time, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State (maybe Utah, too) will stick together, sign whatever deal they can, and poach the MWC and AAC.  The PAC will be the fifth best conference after weakening the MWC and AAC even further.  Its champion will always be in the CFP.    

If UW, WSU, UO, ORST, Stan, Cal, and Utah stick together, they can probably make it work for a few years adding SDSU and/or SMU. If Utah sticks with them and not the other four corners schools, I assume SDSU might get an invite, in which case is the PAC stuck with SMU as an eighth and stuck at 8? 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Good lord. I’m expecting to hear that the QVC has entered negotiations for the PAC 12’s rights at this point. 

Billy Mays (RIP) and Slap chop pervy guy on commentary. QR codes on every item of clothing so they can be ordered in game via smartphone. All big games scheduled on the first and 15th of the month to coincide with social security checks. This could work.. 

4 hours ago, gatormarc said:

I recall Michigan got a special exception for UConn since they are an independent but I don't know about Maryland. It's a lot harder to find out the details on the Big10. They don't seem to host all of their rulebooks online like the SEC does.

Also, yeah, I guess they dropped the requirement after a year.

I would love to see Michigan and tOSU cancel their Texas OOC games and make Fox absolutely shit a brick. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If UW, WSU, UO, ORST, Stan, Cal, and Utah stick together, they can probably make it work for a few years adding SDSU and/or SMU. If Utah sticks with them and not the other four corners schools, I assume SDSU might get an invite, in which case is the PAC stuck with SMU as an eighth and stuck at 8? 

Washington and Oregon are already vetted by BIG, it's a matter of when, not if they get invited according to this recent information. 

All it is going to take is one of the 4 corner schools to make a move and the PAC as we know it is done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

At some point though, probably relatively soon, one of the 4C will jump ship.  The lingering issue of a media rights deal (or not having one) will force the issue.  Continued delay over the lack of an acceptable rights deal will mean an unbearable risk of being left behind.  Oregon and Washington can make certain that no deal is ever acceptable until one of their comrades finally leaves.  I think Oregon would be making more noise right now if they didn't have a good spot lined up.  

The PAC won't die, though. because there will not be a spot for everyone.  For some period of time, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State (maybe Utah, too) will stick together, sign whatever deal they can, and poach the MWC and AAC.  The PAC will be the fifth best conference after weakening the MWC and AAC even further.  Its champion will always be in the CFP.    

Stanford and Cal will go indie before staying in a conference that is majority MWC.  Oregon St. and Washington St. don't have the leverage to dictate terms to MWC schools.

If 2 schools join the Big 12 and Oregon and Washington join the Big 10, Pac is dead.  At least 2 more will join the Big 12.  Stanford and Cal will join the Big 12, ACC or go indie with other sports in the Big West.  Oregon St. and Washington St. will join the Big 12 or the MWC.

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

Stanford and Cal will go indie before staying in a conference that is majority MWC.  Oregon St. and Washington St. don't have the leverage to dictate terms to MWC schools.

If 2 schools join the Big 12 and Oregon and Washington join the Big 10, Pac is dead.  At least 2 more will join the Big 12.  Stanford and Cal will join the Big 12, ACC or go indie with other sports in the Big West.  Oregon St. and Washington St. will join the Big 12 or the MWC.

I think Stanford and Cal would find their way to the ACC, as dumb as that would sound with the conference name. Indy is too difficult to navigate, for Cal especially, and they would have some relatively peer institutions academically. I doubt they would get the ND deal as a partial member for football only. 

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I think Stanford and Cal would find their way to the ACC, as dumb as that would sound with the conference name. Indy is too difficult to navigate, for Cal especially, and they would have some relatively peer institutions academically. I doubt they would get the ND deal as a partial member for football only. 

Indie scheduling will also get tougher as conferences add more in-conference games.

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Eh, I'm not so sure.  They need to  be in a conference for Olympics, either way.  Putting together a football indie schedule as an indie would be very challenging, given the unknowns with scheduling in other conferences moving forward.  The path of least resistance is to keep the PAC going, but to place a heavy emphasis on academic quality of the expansion candidates.  That cuts in favor of Rice and Tulane getting invited.  SDSU, Colorado State, and SMU all appear to be acceptable given that there have been a lot of PAC trial balloons about all three.  From there's it's just a question of how to fill out the roster.

If it were me in their shoes, I'd end up here:

West:  WaSU, OrSU, Stanford, Cal, SDSU, Hawaii (football only)
East:    Wyo, CSU, Air Force, SMU, Rice, Tulane

That's a good amount of inventory for a streaming partner, in multiple time zones.  The West division should be pretty familiar-feeling for the old guard PAC schools.   The East is academically pretty solid (maybe you flip one or two of those for someone else, depending on priorities.)  I think you'd have a good shot to land Gonzaga as an everything-but-football member to boost men's basketball.